It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ... Full Story
MMLandJ

Charlotte, NC

#127721 Mar 18, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
I get it already - people will try anything to legitimize the "divine wisdom" of the "Holy" Bible.
The bible has been legitimized as a source of spiritual comfort and inspiration for millenia, and will continue to do so into the future.
ChromiuMan wrote:
The Noah story was just adopted from earlier Sumerian legends.
How does this diminish what the flood story provides?
ChromiuMan wrote:
It is certainly possible there actually was an exceptional local flood at some point that formed the foundation of that legend but it would have had nothing to do with the book of Genesis and even less to do with Elohim.
Genesis tells the stories of how the ancients thought life came to be, and their relationships with God. So a flood (parable) that has to do with God protecting humankind when the mind is flooded with the falsities of evil that threaten to drown out spiritual life, would most certainly be relevant.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#127722 Mar 18, 2014
MMLandJ wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible has been legitimized as a source of spiritual comfort and inspiration for millenia, and will continue to do so into the future.
<quoted text>
How does this diminish what the flood story provides?
<quoted text>
Genesis tells the stories of how the ancients thought life came to be, and their relationships with God. So a flood (parable) that has to do with God protecting humankind when the mind is flooded with the falsities of evil that threaten to drown out spiritual life, would most certainly be relevant.
First, you have to start with the supposition that there >is< a humanoid god that created all of time and space for his pet tribe of humans. 0.o
I'm not buying some glorious variation on a conspiracy theory that a god is talking to you through a book.
I had a literature professor once who was convinced every single line of Shakespeare had deep and hidden meaning and triple innuendos. I was never much impressed with him, either.
MMLandJ

Charlotte, NC

#127723 Mar 18, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
First, you have to start with the supposition that there >is< a humanoid god that created all of time and space for his pet tribe of humans. 0.o
Why do you think God is a "humanoid?"

Can you tell me where the "body containing all mass, energy, and spacetime in the Universe that would be compressed to an infinitely dense point resulting in the Big Bang, came from?
ChromiuMan wrote:
I'm not buying some glorious variation on a conspiracy theory that a god is talking to you through a book.
Did I say or imply that God was talking to me thru the Bible?
ChromiuMan wrote:
I had a literature professor once who was convinced every single line of Shakespeare had deep and hidden meaning and triple innuendos. I was never much impressed with him, either.
I am not posting to "impress" anyone. Whether or not you accept the parable of Noah's flood, the sun will still come up tomorrow and God will still be with you.
MMLandJ

Charlotte, NC

#127724 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
What does the flood in the Noachian Flood account represent?
I guess this is where you begin your attempt to analyze this parable, "one line at a time." Sorry - but I'm not playing your game.
Until you can present evidence which confirms a global flood 2500 BC, Noah's flood can only be a parable.

MMLandJ

Charlotte, NC

#127725 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
I don't know of any such flood of data (Hebrews 4:12).
Thank you for your answer, and the scripture.
MMLandJ

Charlotte, NC

#127726 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
To what does the flood in the Noachian Flood account refer other than water?
I guess this is where you begin your attempt to analyze this parable, "one line at a time." Sorry - but I'm not playing your game.
Until you can present evidence which confirms a global flood 2500 BC, Noah's flood can only be a parable.
KAB

United States

#127727 Mar 18, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
sigh... what have you been told about bearing false witness again, KAB?
Dogen brought up the notion that 4250+/- years ago it rained for 40 days and 40 nights and dislodged some loose rubble on a remote crater wall north of the arctic circle? I'm sure that's news to him.
No. Oh, close cousin of chronically inattentive one, Dogen brought up this rain,

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...
KAB

United States

#127728 Mar 18, 2014
MMLandJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, once again I have to go it alone. You forget. I'm buoyancy hardened!
As long as we both understand you provided a parable model which doesn't fit since you wanted the flood to be evil flooding out good, but the account has it the other way round.

BTW, thanks for acknowledging you are not interested in analyzing things in detail to get the correct answer. I realize that would be unbearably scientific.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#127729 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, once again I have to go it alone. You forget. I'm buoyancy hardened!
As long as we both understand you provided a parable model which doesn't fit since you wanted the flood to be evil flooding out good, but the account has it the other way round.
BTW, thanks for acknowledging you are not interested in analyzing things in detail to get the correct answer. I realize that would be unbearably scientific.
That's not analysis.

It's floccinaucinihilpilification.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#127730 Mar 18, 2014
MMLandJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think God is a "humanoid?"
Can you tell me where the "body containing all mass, energy, and spacetime in the Universe that would be compressed to an infinitely dense point resulting in the Big Bang, came from?
<quoted text>
Did I say or imply that God was talking to me thru the Bible?
<quoted text>
I am not posting to "impress" anyone. Whether or not you accept the parable of Noah's flood, the sun will still come up tomorrow and God will still be with you.
Gods are typically modeled after humans. Genesis states man was made in God's image, Jesus is (was, actually and of course) supposedly God's son, etc.
No, I'm not a physicist and I cannot tell you where the Big Bang "came from". As I understand it, the prevailing theory is that "it" existed or emerged with space time. That being the case, cause and effect/before and after/from and to are meaningless terms. Don't ask me, read some Hawking.
Yes. When you interpret that dusty old tome as divinely inspired you are in fact implying that it is a god's vehicle to talk to you.
I do not accept that it is a parable at all, much less any morality lesson you contrive from it.(No doubt you can wring similar lofty insights from Rip Van Winkle and The Five Orange Pips) I think that it was an older Semitic story that the Genesis author(s) felt was too popular and sensational to leave out.
The sun will not come up tomorrow. The Earth will continue to rotate and the sun will come into view. What god? Ra? Shapash? Shamash? Istanu? Utu? I hate to burst your bubble...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#127731 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Oh, close cousin of chronically inattentive one, Dogen brought up this rain,
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...
Your 40 x 24 hours of rain proposal far precedes his hard seasonal rains proposal. Having driven on many a cracked and potholed road,(sometimes in the rain) I would go for the ice expansion and thaw proposal, myself.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#127732 Mar 18, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your 40 x 24 hours of rain proposal far precedes his hard seasonal rains proposal. Having driven on many a cracked and potholed road,(sometimes in the rain) I would go for the ice expansion and thaw proposal, myself.
Isn't it ironic that Dogen is trying to refure the flood with rain?!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#127733 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the flood in the Noachian Flood account represent?

Logically, this is a meaningless question for at least 2 reasons:
1. No global flood ever occurred.
2. The flood myth predates Noah and there fore was not his (if a Noah ever existed) flood.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127734 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of 1.4 million years, wasn't the slough day a magical day for rain at the Pingualuit crater?!!

No.

You clearly lack the ability to detect sarcasm.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127735 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, perennially inattentive one,
Here's the pertinent part of Chim's post again.
"And now, its objectively obvious that those who reject modern science and cling to these ideas only do so out of fear for their own deaths and the bribe offered by the modern versions of this religion (Christianity, Islam) that if they do what they are told they will escape the finality of death.
So, self deception and fear. Merely an appeal to your lowest impulses dressed up in finery. For which you sacrifice your mind, since your mind knows all too well that there is no evidence on Earth that can save you from your mortality, and you cannot handle that."
Which part of the narative history is that?

You must be kidding.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127736 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Since ice under appropriate conditions does float I won't be providing data on why ice does not float.

Oh, bait and switch, again. One of your favorite ploys.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127737 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you could reason thru this with Dogen who introduced the rain notion.

/sarcasm

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127738 Mar 18, 2014
MMLandJ wrote:
<quoted text>

It could also be a mistake.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#127739 Mar 18, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it ironic that Dogen is trying to refure the flood with rain?!
Not really. His point is valid and taken. Is it ironic that you think a slough that could have occurred anytime in a 200+ year window exactly coincided with a flood event that didn't occur at all?
Or one better - do you think it is ironic that you use deceitful ploys and cheap deception to "prove" that the Bible is accurate and truthful?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#127740 Mar 19, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the data ... NOT!
There's a subtle note of fear in your post. Why is that do you think?
If you weren't on his side, I'm sure Dogen would be declaring projection.
There is no fear in that post, not even a hint. Perhaps you were hoping for one. Thus I call projection - your projection onto the text of my post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Subduction Zone 127,547
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 1 hr Aura Mytha 175,462
More Theories to Disprove Creation 2 hr shasha_m 57
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 4 hr Dogen 67
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 5 hr Bob 1,899
Atheism - A Non Prophet Organisation (Mar '11) 22 hr The Dude 996
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Mon tbrim21 13,575

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE