It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 143949 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#123390 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
For the sake of the patients please don't get back into providing therapy. If someone weak in a subject can test out of it I don't think I favor the testing-out option, but it does help explain a lot that I have experienced in this forum.
Could you remind me again what percentage of JWs hold college degrees and how it compares to nearly every religion besides Amish?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#123391 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you provide a reference which doesn't list "sphere" first in its definition, thus reinforcing my point regarding your deficiency?

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why haven't you provided the reference work entry listing "sphere" first among the meanings for Dur?
http://biblehub.com/hebrew/1754.htm

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123392 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
For the sake of the patients please don't get back into providing therapy. If someone weak in a subject can test out of it I don't think I favor the testing-out option, but it does help explain a lot that I have experienced in this forum.

Testing out is effective for those who have a mastery of a subject. I invite you to take a basic science test. I have the link ready to go. You want to try it? You are on the honor system for reporting the results to us. Scientific method 101 sort of stuff. A couple of questions are tricky and you need to watch the wording but if you know your stuff....

Sort of joke. You have evidenced your lack of scientific knowledged here and you try to spin out of them.

LOL, you thought something would not float if water could not get under it. HYSTERICAL!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123393 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope this means you'll go away and never participate again.

How can he go away an leave the fountain of entertainment which is KAB.

Village idiot thinks he is brilliant, film at 11.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123394 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you, I don't know enough about the case to judge it.

There has been more than one.

I have read the most high profile case. The JW failed to report it to the authorities because it did not meet THEIR guidelines of what to report. Since the girl was a child her report counted ZERO. The accused denied, then admitted then again denied the charges. It has only been since 2002 that the JW have agreed to cooperate with civil authorities.

A few Court facts:
"In a press release dated November 21, 2007, Jehovah's Witnesses' Office of Public Information stated:[48]
In the United States, over 80,000 elders currently serve in over 12,300 congregations During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States; In seven of these lawsuits against the elders, accusations against the Watchtower Society itself were dismissed by the courts.
In 2004, a Canadian court awarded CAD$5000 to a plaintiff for the negligence of an elder who failed to follow the official policy of the church. However, the court dismissed charges against the Watch Tower Society, and directed the plaintiff to pay the Watch Tower Society's legal fees amounting to CAD$142,000.[49]
In 2007 during a ground-breaking trial motion in the Napa, California court against the Watchtower Society, victims' lawyers convinced the court that 'ecclesiastical privilege' does not supersede the legal obligation of clergy to report child sex abuse to secular authorities. The Watchtower Society paid an undisclosed amount without admitting wrongdoing in an out-of-court settlement with 16 unnamed victims of alleged sexual abuse within the religion.[50] According to court documents obtained by NBC News, one plaintiff was awarded over US$780,000.[51]
Newspapers have reported that subpoenaed elders decline to testify against accused penitents, citing the confidentiality of penitent-clergy privilege.[52] However elders did not object to testifying once a specific matter of penitent-clergy privilege had been adjudicated.[53]
In June 2012, a California court ordered the Watch Tower Society to pay more than US$20 million in compensation and punitive damages to a woman who, as a child, was allegedly abused by a member. The court found that congregation elders, following the policies of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, contributed to the abuse. In the post-trial motion, the Watch Tower Society's attorney stated in a court memorandum that no United States court has previously found its conduct or policy regarding sex abuse to be unlawful, claiming that the Watch Tower Society's reprehensibility is "very low" if any.[54] The court stated that the elders as agents of the Watch Tower Society failed to disclose to other parents regarding the confession of the molester who inappropriately touched his step daughter, adding that the reprehensibility is of "medium range". Based on the ratio between the compensatory and punitive damages, the court subsequently reduced the Watch Tower Society's total liability to US$10 million,[55] Lawyers for the Society appealed the ruling, calling the decision "unprecedented" and denying responsibility for abuse.[56][57][58][59][60] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah 's_Witnesses'_handling_of_chil d_sex_abuse

The entry is very slanted pro-JW as is constant with the WBTS policy of systematic disinformation.

This is the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123395 Dec 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you remind me again what percentage of JWs hold college degrees and how it compares to nearly every religion besides Amish?

The JW do actively encourage promising youth to become lawyers for the cult. Some monies seem to be channeled, under the table, to these people. The Watchtower officially "actively discourages" youth from accepting scholarships and offers no scholarships of their own.

There are several scholarships available to ex-JW's and their families, however.

Higher education is considered to be dangerous and worldly.

If KAB is any indication then they avoid education like the plague.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#123396 Dec 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The JW do actively encourage promising youth to become lawyers for the cult. Some monies seem to be channeled, under the table, to these people. The Watchtower officially "actively discourages" youth from accepting scholarships and offers no scholarships of their own.
There are several scholarships available to ex-JW's and their families, however.
Higher education is considered to be dangerous and worldly.
If KAB is any indication then they avoid education like the plague.
If KAB is any indication, their best and brightest wouldn't have much time for clients - they'd have their hands full with their own contempt of court charges.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#123397 Dec 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what the statistics are, but I am familiar with the greater reality (Acts 4:13).
KAB

Oxford, NC

#123398 Dec 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Testing out is effective for those who have a mastery of a subject. I invite you to take a basic science test. I have the link ready to go. You want to try it? You are on the honor system for reporting the results to us. Scientific method 101 sort of stuff. A couple of questions are tricky and you need to watch the wording but if you know your stuff....
Sort of joke. You have evidenced your lack of scientific knowledged here and you try to spin out of them.
LOL, you thought something would not float if water could not get under it. HYSTERICAL!
Powerfully reasoned, allowing for the fact it comes from someone self-professedly weak in physics and science. I especially like the assumption that one's reasoning is correct rather than scientifically providing the confirming data.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123399 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what the statistics are, but I am familiar with the greater reality (Acts 4:13).

The greater reality of a cult that is zero for the season on prophecy.

Dumb luck has a better record than the Watchtower cult.

Hey KAB, how about a nice game of chess.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#123400 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll remind you, then. A measly 4%. Why is it so low, KAB? Is there something wrong with the brethren that they find it particularly difficult to engage in educational betterment? Could it be the very same malady which leads them to think that the Earth was flat and that the flood happened?
The greater reality... Yes, we could have told you that the emperor of dataless assertion has no clothes.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123401 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Powerfully reasoned, allowing for the fact it comes from someone self-professedly weak in physics and science. I especially like the assumption that one's reasoning is correct rather than scientifically providing the confirming data.

Are you talking about yourself? I have a masters degree in science and am working toward a Ph.D.

I bet I have more credit hours in science than you do total.

Remember, your scientific ignorance rears its hysterical head on a near daily basis.

You can't even figure out that Egyptian's were in the middle of pyramid building during your mythic flood.

KAB

Oxford, NC

#123403 Dec 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been more than one.
I have read the most high profile case. The JW failed to report it to the authorities because it did not meet THEIR guidelines of what to report. Since the girl was a child her report counted ZERO. The accused denied, then admitted then again denied the charges. It has only been since 2002 that the JW have agreed to cooperate with civil authorities.
A few Court facts:
"In a press release dated November 21, 2007, Jehovah's Witnesses' Office of Public Information stated:[48]
In the United States, over 80,000 elders currently serve in over 12,300 congregations During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States; In seven of these lawsuits against the elders, accusations against the Watchtower Society itself were dismissed by the courts.
In 2004, a Canadian court awarded CAD$5000 to a plaintiff for the negligence of an elder who failed to follow the official policy of the church. However, the court dismissed charges against the Watch Tower Society, and directed the plaintiff to pay the Watch Tower Society's legal fees amounting to CAD$142,000.[49]
In 2007 during a ground-breaking trial motion in the Napa, California court against the Watchtower Society, victims' lawyers convinced the court that 'ecclesiastical privilege' does not supersede the legal obligation of clergy to report child sex abuse to secular authorities. The Watchtower Society paid an undisclosed amount without admitting wrongdoing in an out-of-court settlement with 16 unnamed victims of alleged sexual abuse within the religion.[50] According to court documents obtained by NBC News, one plaintiff was awarded over US$780,000.[51]
Newspapers have reported that subpoenaed elders decline to testify against accused penitents, citing the confidentiality of penitent-clergy privilege.[52] However elders did not object to testifying once a specific matter of penitent-clergy privilege had been adjudicated.[53]
In June 2012, a California court ordered the Watch Tower Society to pay more than US$20 million in compensation and punitive damages to a woman who, as a child, was allegedly abused by a member. The court found that congregation elders, following the policies of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, contributed to the abuse. In the post-trial motion, the Watch Tower Society's attorney stated in a court memorandum that no United States court has previously found its conduct or policy regarding sex abuse to be unlawful, claiming that the Watch Tower Society's reprehensibility is "very low" if any.[54] The court stated that the elders as agents of the Watch Tower Society failed to disclose to other parents regarding the confession of the molester who inappropriately touched his step daughter, adding that the reprehensibility is of "medium range". Based on the ratio between the compensatory and punitive damages, the court subsequently reduced the Watch Tower Society's total liability to US$10 million,[55] Lawyers for the Society appealed the ruling, calling the decision "unprecedented" and denying responsibility for abuse.[56][57][58][59][60] "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah 's_Witnesses'_handling_of_chil d_sex_abuse
The entry is very slanted pro-JW as is constant with the WBTS policy of systematic disinformation.
This is the proverbial tip of the iceberg.
Perhaps you don't realize that almost all of what you cited is not from JW sources, so they aren't the ones doing the "very slanting". Beyond that, like you, I don't know enough about the cases to judge them. I do know that not every individual professing to be a Christian is, regardless of organizational affiliation. I also know that YHWH's standard of justice requires at least two witnesses to convict (2 Corinthians 13:1).
KAB

Oxford, NC

#123404 Dec 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll remind you, then. A measly 4%. Why is it so low, KAB? Is there something wrong with the brethren that they find it particularly difficult to engage in educational betterment? Could it be the very same malady which leads them to think that the Earth was flat and that the flood happened?
The greater reality... Yes, we could have told you that the emperor of dataless assertion has no clothes.
Do you think college is the only way to a valuable education?
KAB

Oxford, NC

#123405 Dec 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about yourself? I have a masters degree in science and am working toward a Ph.D.
I bet I have more credit hours in science than you do total.
Remember, your scientific ignorance rears its hysterical head on a near daily basis.
You can't even figure out that Egyptian's were in the middle of pyramid building during your mythic flood.
You professed your physics and science weakness in conjunction with your testing-out approach. Credit hours is certainly the definitive measure of one's technical savvy. Actually demonstrating it real-time is, I suppose, of no consequence.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123406 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you don't realize that almost all of what you cited is not from JW sources, so they aren't the ones doing the "very slanting". Beyond that, like you, I don't know enough about the cases to judge them. I do know that not every individual professing to be a Christian is, regardless of organizational affiliation. I also know that YHWH's standard of justice requires at least two witnesses to convict (2 Corinthians 13:1).

Brainwashed zombie.

the information was from COURT DOCUMENTS.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123407 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think college is the only way to a valuable education?

Better education than knocking on doors which qualifies one, ultimately, to go trick-or-treating.

Do you know why the cult does not do Halloween? Because they resent strange people banking on their doors.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123408 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You professed your physics and science weakness in conjunction with your testing-out approach. Credit hours is certainly the definitive measure of one's technical savvy. Actually demonstrating it real-time is, I suppose, of no consequence.

Nothing wrong with getting ones hands dirty in the crafts and trades I guess. The ultimate gage is acumen and mastery which you lack.
Which you lack.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#123409 Dec 2, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going to stop trying to beat up your obvious betters and actually provide a valid demonstration?

If there were any truth about your professed ability, we would have seen it by now.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#123410 Dec 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainwashed zombie.
the information was from COURT DOCUMENTS.
How did the JWs "very slant" those court documents?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr NoahLikesPi 174,046
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr Eagle 12 20,901
News Intelligent design 11 hr MikeF 24
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Thu Igor Trip 178,702
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Sep 2 macumazahn 1,248
News Pastafarians rejoice! Deep sea creature floatin... Sep 2 karl44 1
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) Sep 2 dollarsbill 14
More from around the web