It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 151419 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

KAB

United States

#122526 Nov 12, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
hahah reality is actually harder on you than I was.
As an ice sheet grows, it does so vertically more than horizontally, as snow accumulates on top. Spreading in Antarctica is limited by the ocean, and chunks break off there. But in the land locked continent, the ice sheet is up to 4.5km thick and averages 2km
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/MaySy.sht...
Thus the footprint (attachment area) is not growing, but the upward force that will apply will be greater, the thicker the ice sheet gets.
So, massive upwards force once submerged, meaning it should have been uplifted and distrupted. If not, the layer of dirty salty water would be showing in the ice cores anyway. In case you didn;t know it, the ice sheets are not salty - they are an accumulation of fresh water snow precipitation. A salty sludge layer at 4500 years would stand out a mile.
No Flood.
There would be no upward force if the water can't get under the ice sheet, and what would prevent the salty sludge from being washed off the sheet?

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#122527 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
After the introductory phrase, Genesis 7:23 itemizes what died, in harmony with the overall context of the whole record of the event. Never overlook the context. Try putting the first phrase in lower case and the rest of the sentence in upper case. That might help your perception.
I have made no claim that the flood "carved up" mountains like Everest. Relatively slow upwelling is relatively easy on the surface, plus Earth has a large surface.
Yes. I see. If we disregard what the Bible says in favor of what the Bible says, it all becomes clear.

Every living thing seems pretty clear to me though. I just don't seem to have your ability to disregard facts that are counter my position.

I believe you did. I will look for it, since that claim of yours is there. Another lie.

I can't imagine how strong your position must be that you have to lie in order to maintain it. Staggering in its power, strength and stability. Please feel free to receive all the sarcasm that is intended by this.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#122528 Nov 12, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan, you've got to put on your "Magic Fundy Decoder Ring" to be able to ascertain the correct meaning!
What?
You don't have one?
Unfortunately, I don't have that much needed ring. I think for KAB we would need the industrial strength "Magic Fundy Decoder Ring".
KAB

United States

#122529 Nov 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Are you confusing this with scenario with that of buoyant forces?
Indeed, someone is confused, and it isn't me. What's the answer to the question, or are you among the confused? You are, afterall, on their side.
KAB

United States

#122530 Nov 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The upward force is the buoyant force.
Think of it like this. Suppose the volume of the ice was replaced by water. That water would be at equilibrium, so the total force on it (gravity plus buoyant force) has to be zero. So the water around it produces a force upward equivalent to the force downward on the water.
Now put the ice back. The force upward from the water around it stays the same: it is equal to the force that would have been on the water, so it is upward and has a size equal to the force of gravity on the water (i.e, the weight of the water). But the ice is less dense than the water. The force of gravity on the ice is less than the force of gravity on an equal volume of water. So the result is that there is a force downward equal to the weight of the ice and a force upward equal to the weight of an equivalent volume of water. The difference is the buoyant force.
The same thing happens for items that are more dense than water: if you take a piece of iron, there will still be a force upward due to the water around the iron and the gravitational force downward. But now the iron weighs more than an equivalent volume of water, so the result is a force downward. In this case, we will find that the iron weighs less in the water than it did when dry.
Is the force of the water on the sides and top upward?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#122531 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Never overlook the context. See Genesis 6:7,17.

6:17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

The last sentence is the most telling and conclusive statement.

BTW, have we ever mentioned that this much water does not exist on earth?
KAB

United States

#122532 Nov 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
yes. So?
Dr. D states that gravity produces the upward (buoyant?) force. Do you agree?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#122533 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the force of the water on the sides and top upward?

No. It is omnidirectional. But the net force is up as the water will seek to displace whatever it there and will be successful if the object is less dense.

But don't worry, as dense as you are you would go straight to the bottom.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#122534 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, someone is confused, and it isn't me. What's the answer to the question, or are you among the confused? You are, afterall, on their side.

It is always the case that you have been shown to be the confused one.

I have explained it to you.

I have shown you the math.

You can't deal with the facts.
You are forced to rationalize and quibble.
You know you can't win so you don't even try. Your game is to try to give the appearance of not-losing. But you fail at that as well. So in desperation you take up the gauntlet of at least not admitting defeat in an endless round of dodging, ignoring, playing stupid (bravo on that one), denial and word games.

Anyone here not see through KABs little haze?

Anyone?

Anyone?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#122535 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. D states that gravity produces the upward (buoyant?) force. Do you agree?

That is a distortion (aka a lie).

But gravity IS the ultimate cause.

No gravity = no problem with density.

Again, you have to lie, distort, twist, dodge, hide, ignore.... just to pretend to stay in the game.

Let me put this to you:
If you are FORCED by your mind control cult to lie
AND IF Satan is the author of all lies then:X
[solve for X]

Anyone know where we can have this type of discussion where there is a minimum knowledge and ethical requirement?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#122536 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
There would be no upward force if the water can't get under the ice sheet, and what would prevent the salty sludge from being washed off the sheet?

LOL. This is not correct. This isn't even HS level physics. This is 4th grade science.

If air cannot get under a helium filled balloon then it will not float away?

That is the EXACT same principle.

Obviously you are scientifically challenged.

And you claim to be technically savvy?!

LOL

My respect for you has never been lower. Just wow!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#122537 Nov 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. This is not correct. This isn't even HS level physics. This is 4th grade science.
If air cannot get under a helium filled balloon then it will not float away?
That is the EXACT same principle.
Obviously you are scientifically challenged.
And you claim to be technically savvy?!
LOL
My respect for you has never been lower. Just wow!
He's using Jim Ryan as a consultant.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#122538 Nov 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
He focus on the wording and not on the meaning. He will go after a punctuation error and miss the entire point of a post...by design!
He simply cannot deal with the reality.
Sometimes I think he isn't even human. More often that not, he sounds like ELIZA, the old DOS psychoanalytic program that twists all of your statements back at you as questions.
Doesn't Topix have a rule against bots? Why doesn't it encompass godbots?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#122539 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a segue to your next proposal, "Why the global flood couldn't find the Hallstatt salt mine."?
KAB

United States

#122540 Nov 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotcha!
Yes it does.
Now, how does gravity which pulls down on the ice column produce the upward force on that ice column?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#122541 Nov 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a distortion (aka a lie).
But gravity IS the ultimate cause.
No gravity = no problem with density.
Again, you have to lie, distort, twist, dodge, hide, ignore.... just to pretend to stay in the game.
Let me put this to you:
If you are FORCED by your mind control cult to lie
AND IF Satan is the author of all lies then:X
[solve for X]
Anyone know where we can have this type of discussion where there is a minimum knowledge and ethical requirement?
The House Committee on Science.
KAB

United States

#122542 Nov 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
"Pond liner manufacturers design liners not to float"
You are on the wrong track. You need to demonstrate that tons of upward force will not separate ice from a base.
first you have to generate the tons of upward force.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#122543 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
When you push the balloon against the floor, does it really form an airtight seal, and does the elasticity of the balloon disappear, and is there really no portion of the balloon's surface facing downward yet not in contact with the floor? These are just some technical issues you wouldn't be expected to understand/appreciate since you're so not technically savvy.
C'mon, KAB. I'm just messing with you. I'd no more attempt a serious discussion with a Witness than I would with a fire hydrant or a bucket of paint.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#122544 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, how does gravity which pulls down on the ice column produce the upward force on that ice column?
{FACE/PALM}

Is gravity also affecting the MORE DENSE *water* that the iceberg is suspended in?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#122545 Nov 12, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
first you have to generate the tons of upward force.
No, first YOU have to prove that every single glacier on Earth that is over 5,000 years old was "adhered to the ground." The buoyancy comes as soon as you add your inundation of water.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 20 min replaytime 201,766
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr IB DaMann 16,406
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr IB DaMann 40,836
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 2 hr DanFromSmithville 294
Sun could not have formed as thought 4 hr Creationtruth 1
The conscious God or the inanimate nature 5 hr THE LONE WORKER 68
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... 10 hr MIDutch 24
More from around the web