It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 161421 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#116480 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Average global income in increasing. Not as fast as the cost of living.
Average global life span is increasing. Yes and no. More people so yes some do live longer. More people = Over population.
Average active life span is increasing. Falls under the same category as the same statement as above.
Average education level is increasing. Why yes. Just participate and you pass. No one left behind. What a joke.
Wow, so you hate life and want it all to end. Funny thing, it's not. Humanity is improving across the globe, slowly, but it's progress, and you cannot deny this. Your religious "prophecies" are failing, and that is what you hate more than anything. Sucks to be you.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#116481 May 28, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen studies that show that a need for cognitive closure has a strong positive correlation with religious fundimentalism.
"Black and White" answers vs an ambiguous answer. A **DEFINITE** answer (right or wrong) is preferred to an answer that is "highly suggesting" an alternative -- such as the type of answer that science most often gives.
So on, an so forth.
This actually says much as it pertains to our Fundies here.
Which is why most PhD's who are creationists tend to be in math-centric fields. Math is black/white. Biology isn't. The ambiguous and sometimes invisible answers that can't be seen or precisely calculated creates anxiety, and "God did it" doesn't.

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Since: May 13

Night is Night

#116482 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, so you hate life and want it all to end. Funny thing, it's not. Humanity is improving across the globe, slowly, but it's progress, and you cannot deny this. Your religious "prophecies" are failing, and that is what you hate more than anything. Sucks to be you.
WOW! If some one makes a comment about anything that does not speak of evolution you go off like a big fart LMAO. You are just an idiot. No one thing in my post says anything about religion.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116483 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right...
so your "Darwin Bible" is just over a hundred years old...while ours is thousands of years old.
Many parts of Darwin's ideas have been proven false, over and over.
All parts of the Bible, that have been researched, have been proven TRUE.
The OT is more full of holes than a soaker hose. The NT is only 1600 years old, not thousands, and the Bible was assembled, edited and accepted by committee.
I've seen hundreds of posts where the Bible has been quoted. I have yet to see even ONE post where anyone has quoted Origin of Species - and extremely rarely Darwin, yet the fundamentalists are so incensed with speculations that don't bow heads to Godmagic that they unabashedly make the indisputably false and inane claim that ToE is some kind of a religion.
Bugger off, whack job.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#116484 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! If some one makes a comment about anything that does not speak of evolution you go off like a big fart LMAO. You are just an idiot. No one thing in my post says anything about religion.
For one to be unable to see the progress made by our species in the last hundred years, you would have to be blinded by religion, even if not the christian one, there are many others, and all "doom and gloom" comes from religion, not fact.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116486 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, yet despite that you still posted a religious link on the other thread, which also coincidentally contradicted your own "point" you were attempting to make about scientific frauds.

So either you're just another dumb creationist who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and pretending not to be, or you're one of those even sillier people (if that's possible) decrying everything about science while you sit there telling us all about it using YOUR COMPUTER.

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Night is Night

#116487 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
For one to be unable to see the progress made by our species in the last hundred years, you would have to be blinded by religion, even if not the christian one, there are many others, and all "doom and gloom" comes from religion, not fact.
DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER! Your prize?? The same reply.

WOW! If some one makes a comment about anything that does not speak of evolution you go off like a big fart LMAO. You are just an idiot. Not one thing in my post says anything about religion.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116488 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER! Your prize?? The same reply.
WOW! If some one makes a comment about anything that does not speak of evolution you go off like a big fart LMAO. You are just an idiot. Not one thing in my post says anything about religion.
Oh really? What's this then?

http://evolutionisntscience.wordpress.com/lis...

Duh.

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Night is Night

#116489 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh.
Looks to me like a dis-credit to evolution doesn't it bible thumper.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#116490 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
'Life' or conscienceness will never end...it will either be heavenly (described as eternal life) or torture (described as conscience death in hell).

Humanity is not improving...it's deteriorating...just as prophecied.

What progress??? when modern man interviens on a native land, they wind up suffering, when they once lived peaceful, stress free lives without materialism tendencies.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#116491 May 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The OT is more full of holes than a soaker hose. The NT is only 1600 years old, not thousands, and the Bible was assembled, edited and accepted by committee.
I've seen hundreds of posts where the Bible has been quoted. I have yet to see even ONE post where anyone has quoted Origin of Species - and extremely rarely Darwin, yet the fundamentalists are so incensed with speculations that don't bow heads to Godmagic that they unabashedly make the indisputably false and inane claim that ToE is some kind of a religion.
Bugger off, whack job.
I can just see You guys now saying all "hail to Darwin" and bowing to his image!

Do you all meet up at conferences like the Star Wars, Big Bang Theory geeks do?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#116492 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
'Life' or conscienceness will never end...it will either be heavenly (described as eternal life) or torture (described as conscience death in hell).
Prove it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116493 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right...
so your "Darwin Bible" is just over a hundred years old...while ours is thousands of years old.

Evolution is, however, science and has been confirmed. The Bible, while an excellent source of spiritual inspiration, has many factual errors.
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many parts of Darwin's ideas have been proven false, over and over.

Actually, the vast majority of Darwin's original theses have been proven to be correct. There are only a few specific predictions which were not correct.
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text> All parts of the Bible, that have been researched, have been proven TRUE.

That is not so. Most of the early chapters of Genesis, for example, are only true, at best, in a loose metaphorical sense. The universe was not created in 6 literal days, the earth was never flooded, pi does not equal 3 (2 Kings), bats are not birds,.....etc.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#116494 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
What progress??? when modern man interviens on a native land, they wind up suffering, when they once lived peaceful, stress free lives without materialism tendencies.
The fewest wars in all of human history.

The lowest amount of violence in all of human history.

The least amount of inequality in all of human history.

Technology offering us ways to not only communicate but also access information once difficult to locate.

Exposure to various cultures that offer insight on how to improve ourselves.

A realm of free speech that even the governments cannot censor.

Harmless vices to pass the time offered because of the following: Access to safe food 24/7, access to clean water 24/7, access to life saving medical science.

Seriously, think before you post, none of this was available 100 years ago, about 70 years ago some of this was still impossible. We made it happen, humans did, no god, no magical force, we did it, we improved ourselves.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116495 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Average global income in increasing. Not as fast as the cost of living.
Average global life span is increasing. Yes and no. More people so yes some do live longer. More people = Over population.
Average active life span is increasing. Falls under the same category as the same statement as above.
Average education level is increasing. Why yes. Just participate and you pass. No one left behind. What a joke.

Average NET income IS rising (i.e. faster than the CoL).
The AVERAGE global life span is increasing.
AVERAGE active lifespan is increasing.
More (higher percentages of) COLLEGE graduates than ever before.
More Ph.D's than ever before.

You do not seem to understand Bush's No Child Left Behind idea. It does not mean dumbing down education. It means educating each and every child to the extent reasonably possible.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116496 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>

There are more people alive with 11 or more fingers than there are no religious people who support creationism (AKA ID).

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Night is Night

#116497 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh.
Since people are calling me nuts for stating that your link looks like a dis-credit to evolution. Lets review it;

The title of the page: Evolution isn't science.

The main body of the article: A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism (or Dissent From Darwinism) is a petition whose signatories attest to a statement which expresses skepticism about the ability of random mutations and natural selection to account for the complexity of life, and encourages careful examination of the evidence for “Darwinism,” a term intelligent design proponents use to refer to evolution. This list was first published by the Discovery Institute in 2001, in advertisements under an introduction which stated that its signatories dispute the assertion that Darwin’s theory of evolution fully explains the complexity of living things, and dispute that “all known scientific evidence supports [Darwinian] evolution”. Further names of signatories have been added at intervals, and as of the August 2008 update, it contains 761 high profile names. The list continues to be used in Discover Institute campaigns in an attempt to discredit evolution and bolster claims that intelligent design is scientifically valid by claiming that evolution lacks broad scientific support.

Thus this article is a discredit to evolution that you "Dude the Bible Thumper" believe.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116498 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks to me like a dis-credit to evolution doesn't it bible thumper.

No, it is a list of handful of scientist that dispute evolution for religious reasons.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116499 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually primitive man (prior to medicine) had a very rough life and only lived about 35 years, on average. They had lots of pain, lots of stress just to survive.

Civilization has some of its own drawbacks, like nutcases on the internet.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#116500 May 28, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Since people are calling me nuts for stating that your link looks like a dis-credit to evolution. Lets review it;
The title of the page: Evolution isn't science.
The main body of the article: A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism (or Dissent From Darwinism) is a petition whose signatories attest to a statement which expresses skepticism about the ability of random mutations and natural selection to account for the complexity of life, and encourages careful examination of the evidence for “Darwinism,” a term intelligent design proponents use to refer to evolution. This list was first published by the Discovery Institute in 2001, in advertisements under an introduction which stated that its signatories dispute the assertion that Darwin’s theory of evolution fully explains the complexity of living things, and dispute that “all known scientific evidence supports [Darwinian] evolution”. Further names of signatories have been added at intervals, and as of the August 2008 update, it contains 761 high profile names. The list continues to be used in Discover Institute campaigns in an attempt to discredit evolution and bolster claims that intelligent design is scientifically valid by claiming that evolution lacks broad scientific support.
Thus this article is a discredit to evolution that you "Dude the Bible Thumper" believe.
Most of those on the list, legitimately that is, are not even biologists of any sort. In other words, they have no authority on the matter anyway. The few that are on the list which are biologists, very few, like 3 names, requested to be removed because they were tricked into signing it. Rather suspicious of those who created this "petition," no?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 min Into The Night 30,080
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 29 min Subduction Zone 1,969
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min Subduction Zone 69,841
Is Creationism and Intelligent Design debunked ... 2 hr Subduction Zone 90
Where was the cradle of life located? 3 hr Subduction Zone 9
G-d versus Evolution? 3 hr Subduction Zone 11
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! 3 hr Al cAPLAN 134
More from around the web