It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Comments (Page 5,715)

Showing posts 114,281 - 114,300 of134,030
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. All you have to prove is that the Bible accounts are not possible.
Sprinkling the blood of a sacrificed dove on a lepers toes to cure his/her leprosy.

Pi=3.

The sun standing still in the sky.

Letting livestock copulate in front of striped sticks resulting in their offspring having striped coats.

QED
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Noachian flood is dismissed by all the scientists I know about, its pretty much not even thought about anymore, the evidence is so overwhelming against it.
Of course being scientists, in the back of their mind is the remote possibility that it did happen and if actual evidence did pop up they would be the first to explore it. Science DOES acknowledge their mistakes you know.
Thank you for a very weighty post, the scientific recognition that the Noachian flood could have happened. It's most unfortunate that it has taken this long for your side to acknowledge that, and in what position does it put those on your side who have so often proclaimed confirmation that it didn't happen?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you are just making wild guesses.
Since you're a self-proclaimed expert in advanced math, based on the widely recognized (often chided) track record of my approach to posting in this forum, what'd be the chances that I would risk an unforced error on a wild guess identifying dice as being involved in something of which I had neither seen nor heard.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.
If you don't demonstrate, with data, that you can reason, this exchange isn't going very far. Let's start with why you have included reference to John 1:14 in two responses about John 1:1, where the focus has been the relationship between the Word and God.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you assert reliability when empirical evidence is never certain? How else do you ascertain reliability if not via empirical evidence? Oh, KAB, I'm afraid logic really is not your friend.
Are reliability and certainty the same thing? Clue: Must something be certain to be reliable?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're failing again.
You assert the possibility of God doing X. You first must demonstrate the requisite conditions for God doing X are true (namely, the existence of God). Until such time as you have done this, your assertions regarding the deeds of your God are rightly rejected.
Now, whether the empirical evidence refutes such claims (which, in many cases, it does) is largely irrelevant. First, demonstrate the possibility of your Bible stories being true by demonstrating that your God is possible and why your God is possible, then demonstrate its existence to show why it's possible for those stories to be true at all.
Remember, just because there is a bag that may have dice in it doesn't mean it's possible to roll an 18. You're saying it is possible. I just want you, at a bare minimum, to demonstrate that possibility. Otherwise, your claims are rightly rejected without any need to disprove them. Your claim, your burden of proof. Meet it or admit that you can't. Be honest with us. And, more importantly, be honest with yourself.
Logic is NOT your friend. Logic is going to force you to admit the irrationality of your position. Logic has never been on the side of religious beliefs. Ever. Never ever ever. Not even once. Not even for little ol' you. Disagree? Great. You've got your challenge above. Meet it or concede.
Job 26:7

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

OOOOObama wrote:
Atheists should try to debate with, or refute the responses of REAL Christians, such as Biblical scholars and Apologetics websites. They have the answers for EVERYTHING. One of my favorites is www.gotquestions.org . Atheists like to take cheap shots at the arrogant and not very educated Christians, but can they challenge actual THEOLOGIANS and SCHOLARS, and generally knowledgeable Christians?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://youtu.be/4KBx4vvlbZ8

http://youtu.be/H7XUsgat1j0

http://youtu.be/83NLkGZHTSw
http://youtu.be/V8bHEWQOsiU

http://youtu.be/zPsmYWbY-VA

You act as though this never happens. It happens ALL THE TIME. And, guess what? Never has a single one resulted in someone presenting actual evidence of the existence of God or the veracity of the Bible in its entirety. Isn't that just the weirdest thing?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Specifically, what species of fish is capable of the allegation?
How were plants created before 99.8% of all other matter in the solar system? What ACTUAL real evidence is there that does not DISPROVE a global flood?
Tyre? Exodus? Red Sea? Talking animals? The sun and moon stood still? Staves turned into snakes? Etc., etc...?
If the Bible is not a demonstrated fallible document, would you not be more observant of facts vs. "truths."
I don't know what species of fish are capable of swallowing a man whole.
Were plants created before 99.8% of all other matter in the solar system?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Are reliability and certainty the same thing? Clue: Must something be certain to be reliable?
It's your demand for certainty, not mine. I'm the one that asserts (rightly, I might add) that there is no such thing as absolute certainty in science. You assert that there is. If there is such a thing, you must demonstrate such for your assertion to be accepted. People who understand how science works all disagree with you and agree with me. People who don't understand how science works think you know what you're talking about. Sorry, but I'm going to have to go with the people who know how science works on this one.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Job 26:7
A flat or, at best, hemispheric Earth doesn't prove God exists. Nor does the misunderstanding of the word "hang" outside of poetic license.

Laurence Taylor was a monster. That's poetic license. Was he actually a monster? By your convoluted and ridiculous standards, he clearly was, because it's a possible meaning of the word as used if one ignores the context, and because I've chosen that meaning out of all the possible ones, that makes it so.

Well, in YOUR version of reality, it does. Out here in ACTUAL REALITY, it ain't like that at all. But, as long as it makes you happy, that's all that matters. Don't let things like intellectual integrity get in your way.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_1:1
Bear in mind I am not a trinitarian and I acknowledge that this is one of the JWs 'broken clock moments' when they actually are on the right side.
What's (single item) next?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Its a shame the one missing element is you being proved right.
I don't expect invisible purple ping-pong balls to be convincing, but you might consider what the chances are I could get what I did provide right without having seen it or at least having been told about it.
See?
No
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Except the rest of the verse says the word was God.
So, yea, you can believe what you want if you are willing to preform vivisection (lit. to cut the life out of) on the Bible.
This is a fairly common literary device called chiasmus and the Bible uses it at a number of junctures.
I take the Bible at its Word, so bring on the data for chiasmus.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Sprinkling the blood of a sacrificed dove on a lepers toes to cure his/her leprosy.
Pi=3.
The sun standing still in the sky.
Letting livestock copulate in front of striped sticks resulting in their offspring having striped coats.
QED
Need I mention those are just assertions, all of which have been discredited with data?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
A flat or, at best, hemispheric Earth doesn't prove God exists. Nor does the misunderstanding of the word "hang" outside of poetic license.
Laurence Taylor was a monster. That's poetic license. Was he actually a monster? By your convoluted and ridiculous standards, he clearly was, because it's a possible meaning of the word as used if one ignores the context, and because I've chosen that meaning out of all the possible ones, that makes it so.
Well, in YOUR version of reality, it does. Out here in ACTUAL REALITY, it ain't like that at all. But, as long as it makes you happy, that's all that matters. Don't let things like intellectual integrity get in your way.
I see you're still having trouble understanding my standards.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

OOOOObama wrote:
Atheists should try to debate with, or refute the responses of REAL Christians, such as Biblical scholars and Apologetics websites. They have the answers for EVERYTHING. One of my favorites is www.gotquestions.org . Atheists like to take cheap shots at the arrogant and not very educated Christians, but can they challenge actual THEOLOGIANS and SCHOLARS, and generally knowledgeable Christians?
I never meet a theologian I could believe....they all talk apologetics and bullsh!t. They can no better refute real science than you can.

All of them that have exposed themselves to conversations with people such as Dawkins and Hitchens (may he rest in peace) loose miserably.

You see the problem for the religions is that science is true and factual, and the religions are nothing but a con.

We are disproving the old myths that the Bible has propagated for centuries. There is NO magik in this world

Level 9

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for a very weighty post, the scientific recognition that the Noachian flood could have happened. It's most unfortunate that it has taken this long for your side to acknowledge that, and in what position does it put those on your side who have so often proclaimed confirmation that it didn't happen?
Sorry I didn't meet your high intellectual standards KAB.

You DO understand that that thought is behind EVERYTHING in science, such as evolution, and the Noachian flood NOT happening.

Level 9

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too, knowing that according to you empirical evidence is never certain, and knowing that the source of the legend has been demonstrated to be reliable.
The source has NOT been certified to be 100% reliable.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
"We would expect to observe a uniform, worldwide blanket of randomly sorted boulders, cobbles, sand, and silt overlain by a layer of clay. This blanket would overlie any pre-existing geologic record. Since the Flood allegedly took place a mere 5000 years ago, this evidence should still remain with very little erosion. But this worldwide blanket does not exist."
http://www.evolution.mbdojo.com/flood.html
Unlike the Alvares's K-T boundary discontinuity, which IS worldwide.
And dates back 66 million years.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you're still having trouble understanding my standards.
So, you DON'T strategically avoid any and all definitions of words that would contradict your understanding of the Bible? REALLY? Mister "I choose #8?" Mister "look, these guys colloquially referred to the moon as hanging, therefore that's the most pertinent definition of hang?" REALLY?

Do you simply refuse to believe that you could be a liar, or do you know you lie but justify it by saying to yourself that it's in defense of the Bible?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 114,281 - 114,300 of134,030
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Big Bang? 11 min Morrat 133
Modern YEC is Not An Aberration of Traditional ... 25 min Gillette 116
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 27 min wondering 117
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 37 min One way or another 171,380
Chicken or the egg. Lets settle this 48 min TurkanaBoy 49
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 1 hr Zog Has-fallen 35
Skull Valley lawmaker wants both sides of clima... (Feb '13) 2 hr SpaceBlues 1,638
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 hr Charles Idemi 112,787
•••
•••