It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 151492 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#116048 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I was about to post data when the Guy acknowledged my reference was correct, so I didn't proceed. Do you trust him?
Him, yes. You, no.

And the data...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116049 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The NWT doesn't translate Sheol. Thus, it draws attention to and doesn't risk corrupting its meaning.

By that "logic" the entire scripture should be left in its original language and not translated at all.

How can one cult be so evil and so stupid at the same time.

Poison fruit grows from the vines of the watchtower cult.
KAB

United States

#116050 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sea creature? Yet another caricature of a real bible translation?
The word you are looking for is "fish". Actually 'great fish'(dag gadol).
The NWT probably renders it as something like 'shag purple'.
Do you think the Bible was written by scientifically ignorant individuals without Yahweh preventing them from making technical mistakes?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116052 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I was about to post data when the Guy acknowledged my reference was correct, so I didn't proceed. Do you trust him?

Yea, you are always about to post data.

In fact, when you do post data, it is not the date which is typically incorrect. It is your misunderstanding of the data that is the problem.

You are not so technically savvy as either your source of data nor as much as the people who have already analyzed it.

Your main problems seems to be lack of education in the areas under discussion and your confirmation bias.
KAB

United States

#116053 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you lie about our observations about you? We don't proclaim you NEVER provide data. But the dearth of data show us that this is not your normal habit.
You are also not technically savvy, but that is another issue.
Did I state that you proclaim I NEVER provide data, or did you state that I state that, even tho I didn't state that? My assertion is that you incorrectly state that I don't provide data. The next time it occurs, I will prove it with ... are you ready for this?... data!
KAB

United States

#116054 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
There are translations of the bible and there are transliterations of the bible. Then there is made up nonsense (e.g. the NWT).
The problem with Hebrew is that we are not exactly certain of exactly what the author meant with about half of the vocabulary.
So why is your side so often so dogmatic about what a passage has to mean based on nothing more than what meaning you prefer? Why not just get use to disappointment at the reality of language which you note?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#116055 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I state that you proclaim I NEVER provide data, or did you state that I state that, even tho I didn't state that? My assertion is that you incorrectly state that I don't provide data. The next time it occurs, I will prove it with ... are you ready for this?... data!
Bible quotes don't count as data.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#116056 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
So why is your side so often so dogmatic about what a passage has to mean based on nothing more than what meaning you prefer?
LOL

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116057 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
As therapy, would a mental health professional suggest you stop repeating yourself?

It would depend entirely upon the circumstances.

As a general rule I would say yes, but I would also advocate against lying, misrepresenting the facts, distorting reality, trying to pass oneself off as more intelligent than one is, and being a member of mind control cults.

It is very pleasing to know one is right, even if one isn't.
KAB

United States

#116058 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What about SWALLOWED do you not understand?
Another quiz for you to ignore because you know an honest answer screws your assertion.
Q. when a fish swallows something it goes:
a. In the (acidic) digestive track.
b. In the (acidic) digestive track.
c. In the (acidic) digestive track.
d. In the (acidic) digestive track.
e. Is magically poofed somewhere else.
You are 100% screwed by your own illogic. As usual.
There's no single correct answer and no subgroup, all, or none of the above options. Is it true that a quiz provides a glimpse into the intelligence of its creator? Bob says he thinks that, as a mental health professional, you would agree with that.
KAB

United States

#116059 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And here is the violation. All I see is assertion and no data.
Another failure, and again by your own standards.
What a sorry loser you are.
When there's disagreement or question, then it's time for data. Otherwise, there's no need since all are indicating awareness that applicable data is universally recognized and accepted.
KAB

United States

#116060 May 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tarshish, Joppa,and Nineveh - the city of 120k that took 3 DAYS to cross? Now there's a berg that screamed for better mass transit.
Your "turn" is not over. The place names were never in contention, it was the mode of travel and the soliloquy that are.
Here's your challenge,

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...

Note the complete lack of specifics. I responded accordingly and correctly. You can issue a new more specific challenge if you want.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116061 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

Lol. Funny enough to make a bad lie amusing.

I assert you have psychological issues.

You have already provided a global flood of data toward that conclusion.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116062 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's your challenge,
Note the complete lack of specifics. I responded accordingly and correctly. You can issue a new more specific challenge if you want.
You fully understand the context of the challenge. Man up, ya simpering weasel.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116063 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
So why is your side so often so dogmatic about what a passage has to mean based on nothing more than what meaning you prefer? Why not just get use to disappointment at the reality of language which you note?

This is, again, projection.

We prefer what the word means in context by the best data and expert available.

You prefer whatever suits your confirmation bias. That is not scientific, nor logical, nor really even in keeping with Christian faith.

Of course your cult pretends to subsume Christian faith under its false paradigm.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116064 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no single correct answer and no subgroup, all, or none of the above options. Is it true that a quiz provides a glimpse into the intelligence of its creator? Bob says he thinks that, as a mental health professional, you would agree with that.

a is true,
b is true,
c is true,
d is true.

I intelligently designed a quiz that gave you an 80% chance of getting it right and you still failed.

That is astonishing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116065 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
When there's disagreement or question, then it's time for data. Otherwise, there's no need since all are indicating awareness that applicable data is universally recognized and accepted.

But universally agreed upon your assertion was not.

Happy, it is "Like yoda talk" Day. Yes, hmmm.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116066 May 21, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's your challenge,

Fair to both, item by item confirmation is, not just unilaterally. Hmmmmmm.
KAB

United States

#116067 May 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly. You may note I didn't suggest that.
<quoted text>
It can certainly obscure it. Which would not be a faithful translation.
<quoted text>
Should you ever decide to stay within valid bounds.
Find that air pocket in your big fish yet?
Your contention was that the translator should "render the translation as accurately as possible". How can he do that if he doesn't allow possibilities the author could legitimately have meant? More than obscure the actual meaning, your proposal runs the risk of eliminating it altogether. Of course, I realize there are legitimate possibilities you desperately want eliminated from consideration.

Please provide confirming data whenever I go outside valid bounds.

As to the big fish, if you're allowing whales under that Biblical (i.e., lacking scientific precision) umbrella, there would be the lungs to consider.
KAB

United States

#116068 May 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Him, yes. You, no.
And the data...
Since you trust the Guy, and he has vouched for the data, you don't need it from me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min Dogen 205,458
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min Into The Night 43,397
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 37 min Patrick 18,694
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 2 hr Mad Tom 930
evolution is correct. prove me wrong (Jul '15) 9 hr Chazofsaints 37
Questions about first life Sun Upright Scientist 18
Carbon and isotopic dating are a lie Aug 27 One way or another 16
More from around the web