It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Comments (Page 5,642)

Showing posts 112,821 - 112,840 of127,056
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114881
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
If your assertion was true, all you had to do was quote me, but since it's not, you can't.

Don't you know what an analogy is?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy&#8206 ;

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114882
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the quote stating "they" would spoil the riches. Don't forget the "many nations" factor. It was a group effort. As the Bible also states, Nebuchadnezzar didn't get the spoil.

We have already refuted this.

You have a short memory.

"So if Ezekiel was declaring that Nebuchadnezzar would be the instrument that Yahweh would use to destroy Tyre, why did he say that "many nations" would be sent against it? A reasonable explanation of the prophet's reference to "many-nations" can be found in the ethnic compositions of early empires. Empires like Babylonia formed from the conquest and annexation of surrounding tribes and nations, so when an area was assimilated into an adjoining kingdom, the soldiers of the conquered nations served the greater empire. The Assyrian empire, for example, crumbled when the combined forces of the Medes, Babylonians, and Scythians plundered Assur in 614 B. C. and Nineveh in 612. When Haran fell to these allied forces in 610 and then Carchemish in 605, most of the Assyrian territory was annexed by Babylon. In such cases, defeated armies swore allegiance to their conquerers, so the armies of a king like Nebuchadnezzar were actually armies of "many nations."

http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/992t...

Trying to ride on the corpse of a dead horse will not get you anywhere.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114883
May 7, 2013
 
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Though it might be more accurate to say that the actual Zeke of Biblical Proportions would be nothing more than a writer of the Sunday paper Astrology page, if he lived today...
Hey another thought just occurred to me. Wonder if anyone has followed this line of reasoning up...since ancient Israel was such a prophecy driven society and presumably becoming a prophet would be the height of ambition for the typical Israelite, perhaps there were many, many prophet try-hards in the day. The ones that got something right were preserved and remembered, while the mass of failures would be forgotten. This selection bias would give a strong impression, in hindsight, of good biblical prophecy by those who happened to get something right! Not only that, but even those who got something right...would their mistakes also be preserved with such care?

You mean like the guys who make sports predictions?
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114884
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And as we have pointed out many times, Nebby was the head of many nations.
Since Tyre was attacked on a regular basis to claim that the prophecy extends for over 1,000 years it would fail on the basis that it is no longer a "prophesy" but a certainty. The only "many nations" that makes any logical sense is that of Nebby being the head of many nations.
You could claim "many nations" over a long period of time if Tyre had never been attacked before. That is definitely not the case.
Is "You will see a red car" a valid Biblical prophesy? Why am I not a prophet of Biblical magnitude?
You make an excellent point. If the prophecy was only that Tyre would be attacked, that would not be a prophecy of any value. Of course, that's far from all the prophecy states. There are a number of details that make the defeating of Tyre unique. Why do you not enumerate them? Would that weaken your red car assertion?
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114885
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't Neeeby miss out on the Egyptian prophecy also??
What data makes you think Nebby didn't fulfill the Egyptian prophecy?
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114886
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how not a single verified prophecy that is too specific to weasel your way through has ever been proven.
In the case of Tyre, the only way to falsify it according to your criteria would be if Tyre had NEVER been invaded or overrun by anyone ever. Name a single city in the civilised world that has not been overrun in some war at least once - you know damned well that 99% of them have been. Even then, you could claim it just has not happened YET.
See? Its smoke and mirrors, no better than a Sunday paper astrology page. Some people swear by them, too.
Would you settle for naming a city which was not overrun by Nebuchadnezzar?
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114887
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
We have already refuted this.
You have a short memory.
"So if Ezekiel was declaring that Nebuchadnezzar would be the instrument that Yahweh would use to destroy Tyre, why did he say that "many nations" would be sent against it? A reasonable explanation of the prophet's reference to "many-nations" can be found in the ethnic compositions of early empires. Empires like Babylonia formed from the conquest and annexation of surrounding tribes and nations, so when an area was assimilated into an adjoining kingdom, the soldiers of the conquered nations served the greater empire. The Assyrian empire, for example, crumbled when the combined forces of the Medes, Babylonians, and Scythians plundered Assur in 614 B. C. and Nineveh in 612. When Haran fell to these allied forces in 610 and then Carchemish in 605, most of the Assyrian territory was annexed by Babylon. In such cases, defeated armies swore allegiance to their conquerers, so the armies of a king like Nebuchadnezzar were actually armies of "many nations."
http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/992t...
Trying to ride on the corpse of a dead horse will not get you anywhere.
That's certainly an understandable viewpoint, but would still represent only one possibility.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114888
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You make an excellent point. If the prophecy was only that Tyre would be attacked, that would not be a prophecy of any value. Of course, that's far from all the prophecy states. There are a number of details that make the defeating of Tyre unique. Why do you not enumerate them? Would that weaken your red car assertion?
You mean the number of details that never happened?

Again, everyday damage and raiding is not prophecy. When you extend it over a thousand years the fact that material was taken out of the city is not longer prophesy, that is to be expected. The only thing left are the things that never happened. "It will never be found again". We know exactly where Tyre is. "You will never be rebuilt". It has been rebuilt many times. "You will be buried by the sea." Nope still above water.

Only the "You will see a red car" prophesies came true.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114889
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What data makes you think Nebby didn't fulfill the Egyptian prophecy?
Backwards as usual again KAB. If you want to claim something happened it is up to you to show the evidence. The onus is always more on the person making a positive claim, not a negative claim.
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114890
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the number of details that never happened?
Again, everyday damage and raiding is not prophecy. When you extend it over a thousand years the fact that material was taken out of the city is not longer prophesy, that is to be expected. The only thing left are the things that never happened. "It will never be found again". We know exactly where Tyre is. "You will never be rebuilt". It has been rebuilt many times. "You will be buried by the sea." Nope still above water.
Only the "You will see a red car" prophesies came true.
There must be a reasson you didn't put scraping bare and throwing in the water on your list. What is it? BTW, you don't know where Tyre the island is, and the reason is obvious.
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114891
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Backwards as usual again KAB. If you want to claim something happened it is up to you to show the evidence. The onus is always more on the person making a positive claim, not a negative claim.
If I had non-Bible evidence for Nebby conquering Egypt, I would provide it, but the present reality is very reminiscent of Sargon, the earlier years. If you choose not to accept the Bible's account, you won't be alone or the first, but you will likely eventually be proven wrong, given the Bible's track record (Matthew 24:30).

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114892
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What data makes you think Nebby didn't fulfill the Egyptian prophecy?
Ezekiel prophesies the conquest of Egypt, the scattering of its entire population (it was to be uninhabited for 40 years), and Nebuchadnezzar plundering Egypt (Ezekiel 29:3 Ezekiel 30:26).

This includes the claim that God will make Egypt so weak that it will never again rule over other nations. Pharaoh Amasis II (who drove off Nebuchadnezzar) also conquered Cyprus, ruling it until 545 BC. Despite being a powerful nation in ancient times, Egypt has since been ruled by the Persians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantine Empire, Ottomans, British and the French, and has also enjoyed periods of independence from external rule.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114893
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had non-Bible evidence for Nebby conquering Egypt, I would provide it, but the present reality is very reminiscent of Sargon, the earlier years. If you choose not to accept the Bible's account, you won't be alone or the first, but you will likely eventually be proven wrong, given the Bible's track record (Matthew 24:30).
How would Matthew know anything??

We don't even know the name of the person who wrote 'Matthew'?? He didn't know Jesus....never meet Him.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114894
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What data makes you think Nebby didn't fulfill the Egyptian prophecy?
Then of course there is Damascus.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114895
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You make an excellent point. If the prophecy was only that Tyre would be attacked, that would not be a prophecy of any value. Of course, that's far from all the prophecy states. There are a number of details that make the defeating of Tyre unique. Why do you not enumerate them? Would that weaken your red car assertion?

Are you on drugs?

As the sane people here have all acknowledged, ALL the details are against Tyre myth.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114896
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What data makes you think Nebby didn't fulfill the Egyptian prophecy?

Where you not here when we went over this before?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114897
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
That's certainly an understandable viewpoint, but would still represent only one possibility.

No.



Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
We have already refuted this.
You have a short memory.
"So if Ezekiel was declaring that Nebuchadnezzar would be the instrument that Yahweh would use to destroy Tyre, why did he say that "many nations" would be sent against it? A reasonable explanation of the prophet's reference to "many-nations" can be found in the ethnic compositions of early empires. Empires like Babylonia formed from the conquest and annexation of surrounding tribes and nations, so when an area was assimilated into an adjoining kingdom, the soldiers of the conquered nations served the greater empire. The Assyrian empire, for example, crumbled when the combined forces of the Medes, Babylonians, and Scythians plundered Assur in 614 B. C. and Nineveh in 612. When Haran fell to these allied forces in 610 and then Carchemish in 605, most of the Assyrian territory was annexed by Babylon. In such cases, defeated armies swore allegiance to their conquerers, so the armies of a king like Nebuchadnezzar were actually armies of "many nations."
http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/992t ...
Trying to ride on the corpse of a dead horse will not get you anywhere.
KAB

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114899
May 7, 2013
 
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Ezekiel prophesies the conquest of Egypt, the scattering of its entire population (it was to be uninhabited for 40 years), and Nebuchadnezzar plundering Egypt (Ezekiel 29:3 Ezekiel 30:26).
This includes the claim that God will make Egypt so weak that it will never again rule over other nations. Pharaoh Amasis II (who drove off Nebuchadnezzar) also conquered Cyprus, ruling it until 545 BC. Despite being a powerful nation in ancient times, Egypt has since been ruled by the Persians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantine Empire, Ottomans, British and the French, and has also enjoyed periods of independence from external rule.
What data are you going to provide confirming that something in the Egypt prophecy was not fulfilled, or are you planning to go with lack of data?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114900
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What data are you going to provide confirming that something in the Egypt prophecy was not fulfilled, or are you planning to go with lack of data?

Again, that is not our job. You are such a lazy, self centered arse. You are always practicing your cult inspired denialism.

BTW, what do you think causes AIDS?

Just baiting you to say something amusing AND stupid, rather than just blithely stupid.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114901
May 7, 2013
 
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What data are you going to provide confirming that something in the Egypt prophecy was not fulfilled, or are you planning to go with lack of data?
Now no one is going to copy your strategy, so relax.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,821 - 112,840 of127,056
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min SevenTee 105,994
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 29 min MikeF 13,476
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 2 hr Aura Mytha 168,533
Kevin Wingate: ID should be included in science... 16 hr llDayo 5
Science News (Sep '13) 19 hr Ricky F 2,671
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Wed MikeF 1,236
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) Apr 15 ChristineM 13,936
•••
•••
•••
•••