It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 150998 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#114645 Apr 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Another detour into Stupid brought to you by KAB.
Yah.

*still shaking head*

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#114646 Apr 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The subject is Nebby's defeat of Egypt.
Per Wiki: "Jehoiakim was installed as king of Judah by pharaoh Necho II in 608 BC, who deposed his younger brother Jehoahaz after a reign of only three months and took him to Egypt, where he died.[2] Jehoiakim ruled originally as a vassal of the Egyptians, paying a heavy tribute. To raise the money he "taxed the land and exacted the silver and gold from the people of the land according to their assessments."[7]

However, when the Egyptians were defeated by the Babylonians at Carchemish in 605 BC, Jehoiakim changed allegiances, paying tribute to Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon.

After three years, with the Egyptians and Babylonians still at war, he switched back to the Egyptians and ceased paying the tribute to Babylon. In 599 BC, Nebuchadnezzar II invaded Judah and laid siege to Jerusalem."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehoiakim

Jehoiakim was King of Judah, which Nebby (re)conquered.

<<map of Judah>>

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

Judah was for a period of history, a SEGMENT of the kingdom of Egypt, NOT the entire Kingdom of Egypt.

It would be like a foreign power "invading and conquering" New Hampshire. That foreign power would not have been considered to have conquered the entire United States, now would they?
KAB

Wilson, NC

#114647 Apr 30, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The dates are based on history. They are based on the record.
the record itself gives no dates. It is date-a-less source.
Your suggesting otherwise is a lie.
You just can't stop.
Did I state anything about dates in my reference, oh inattentive erroneous one?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114648 Apr 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you accept dataless notes (i.e., someone's opinion?) rather than the record itself?
What record are you talking about?

History from multiple sources is "data". Zeke predicts Nebby's victories but there is no record of them. Anywhere. Not even in the Bible.

Zeke failed.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#114649 Apr 30, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is false.
There are flood mythologies from all over the world.
They are from different peoples at different times.
There is no account of a global flood by civilizations that were present one year before, during the year of the flood and still present one year later.
Where is the flood account from Egypt who had a thriving empire at that time (before, after and during)?
So, at best you are in error. More likely you are simply lying again which is a compulsion of yours. Like an addict you lie even when you have no reason to do so.
Appended without comment:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sumerians-lo...
KAB

Wilson, NC

#114650 Apr 30, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Per Wiki: "Jehoiakim was installed as king of Judah by pharaoh Necho II in 608 BC, who deposed his younger brother Jehoahaz after a reign of only three months and took him to Egypt, where he died.[2] Jehoiakim ruled originally as a vassal of the Egyptians, paying a heavy tribute. To raise the money he "taxed the land and exacted the silver and gold from the people of the land according to their assessments."[7]
However, when the Egyptians were defeated by the Babylonians at Carchemish in 605 BC, Jehoiakim changed allegiances, paying tribute to Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon.
After three years, with the Egyptians and Babylonians still at war, he switched back to the Egyptians and ceased paying the tribute to Babylon. In 599 BC, Nebuchadnezzar II invaded Judah and laid siege to Jerusalem."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehoiakim
Jehoiakim was King of Judah, which Nebby (re)conquered.
<<map of Judah>>
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Judah was for a period of history, a SEGMENT of the kingdom of Egypt, NOT the entire Kingdom of Egypt.
It would be like a foreign power "invading and conquering" New Hampshire. That foreign power would not have been considered to have conquered the entire United States, now would they?
No
KAB

Wilson, NC

#114651 Apr 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What record are you talking about?
History from multiple sources is "data". Zeke predicts Nebby's victories but there is no record of them. Anywhere. Not even in the Bible.
Zeke failed.
Berossus' record.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114652 Apr 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I state anything about dates in my reference, oh inattentive erroneous one?

Try harder.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114653 Apr 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Berossus' record.
Yes, which attack on Egypt is he talking about? The one successful battle before the prophesy or the failed war after the prophesy?
KAB

United States

#114654 May 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, which attack on Egypt is he talking about? The one successful battle before the prophesy or the failed war after the prophesy?
What does the account specifically state Babylon did with regard to Egypt, attacked, won battle, defeated, what?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#114655 May 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the account specifically state Babylon did with regard to Egypt, attacked, won battle, defeated, what?
Are you normally that stupid or are you just deliberately being obtuse?

The Biblical account never happened.

It's fiction.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#114656 May 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Are you normally that stupid or are you just deliberately being obtuse?
The Biblical account never happened.
It's fiction.
Just deliberately obtuse. But it's okay - God fulfilled the covenant, so there are no ten commandments. Now his only rule is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If he wasn't okay with being lied to, do you think he'd still be a JW? And that makes it logical that YHWH WANTS him to lie to everyone else.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#114657 May 1, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just deliberately obtuse. But it's okay - God fulfilled the covenant, so there are no ten commandments. Now his only rule is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If he wasn't okay with being lied to, do you think he'd still be a JW? And that makes it logical that YHWH WANTS him to lie to everyone else.
*uncrossing eyes*

Okay, I actually get that.

I've been on Topix too long.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114658 May 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the account specifically state Babylon did with regard to Egypt, attacked, won battle, defeated, what?

I recommend reading the bible so you know these things.

NASB is one of the best of you are interested in literal accuracy. It is not especially smooth to read for that reason.

For the O.T. don't even get a bible. Get a an English translation of the Torah.

http://www.chabad.org
has a copy.

It is no more free from translation errors and bias than any good translation of the Bible, but as the bias is different it alerts one to where there are problems.

Note: Jews, historically do not use the name of god [Yahweh] but prefer the title 'god'.

KAB

United States

#114659 May 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Are you normally that stupid or are you just deliberately being obtuse?
The Biblical account never happened.
It's fiction.
How is that a data based response to the data of Berossus' account of Babylon and Egypt?
KAB

United States

#114660 May 1, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I recommend reading the bible so you know these things.
NASB is one of the best of you are interested in literal accuracy. It is not especially smooth to read for that reason.
For the O.T. don't even get a bible. Get a an English translation of the Torah.
http://www.chabad.org
has a copy.
It is no more free from translation errors and bias than any good translation of the Bible, but as the bias is different it alerts one to where there are problems.
Note: Jews, historically do not use the name of god [Yahweh] but prefer the title 'god'.
Off topic AGAIN?!
Your struggle to appear relevant, credible, and engaged is in a tailspin.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114661 May 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
How is that a data based response to the data of Berossus' account of Babylon and Egypt?
I don't think "data" is the proper term to use here.

And did you not notice the notes at the bottom of your link?

Sometimes people conflate Nebby's victory in the field with Nebby's war on Egypt.

Let me put it this way. The U.S. won many battles in the Vietnam war. For example the U.S. did win the Tet Offensive. We still lost the war. We did not defeat Vietnam. Early in his career Nebby beat Egypt on the field of battle. This was long before the attack on Tyre. When he attacked Egypt the country he lost. All histories that I have seen make the same claim.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114662 May 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Off topic AGAIN?!
Your struggle to appear relevant, credible, and engaged is in a tailspin.

Yes, you are off topic again. Your desperate attempt to somehow discredit me is amusing. Your frustration is noted.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114663 May 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
How is that a data based response to the data of Berossus' account of Babylon and Egypt?

How is it that Berossus is relevant to the discussion?

" Philostratus is in agreement on these matters in his History, where he mentions the siege of Tyre; as is Megasthenes, in the fourth book of his Indian History, in which he tries to prove that this king of the Babylonians was superior to Heracles in strength and the greatness of his exploits; for he says that he conquered most of Libya and Iberia. "
http://www.attalus.org/translate/eusebius4.ht...

"After the destruction of Jerusalem, Nebuchadnezzar engaged in a thirteen-year siege of Tyre (585–572 BC) which ended in a compromise, with the Tyrians accepting Babylonian authority"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebuchadnezzar_I...

No help here either:
http://www.livius.org/men-mh/menander/menande...
KAB

United States

#114664 May 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think "data" is the proper term to use here.
And did you not notice the notes at the bottom of your link?
Sometimes people conflate Nebby's victory in the field with Nebby's war on Egypt.
Let me put it this way. The U.S. won many battles in the Vietnam war. For example the U.S. did win the Tet Offensive. We still lost the war. We did not defeat Vietnam. Early in his career Nebby beat Egypt on the field of battle. This was long before the attack on Tyre. When he attacked Egypt the country he lost. All histories that I have seen make the same claim.
Data is that which should be used to draw valid conclusions. In that regard my usage is proper.

I noticed the notes at the bottom of my link were not made by Berossus and included no data. They are third-party dataless assertions.

In the interest of objectivity and completeness, you can now add Berossus' history to those you have seen, so you no longer have to make the claim that you've only seen consistent histories which tell you what you want to conclude.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 197,475
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Patrick 13,305
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr renee 31,308
Rome Viharo debunks evolution 12 hr Support of Rome V... 1
Evolution in action Fri MIDutch 1
News RANT: Is "global warming" today's version of th... May 25 bearings 2
Another "gap" gets closed May 24 MIDutch 1
More from around the web