It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Comments (Page 5,618)

Showing posts 112,341 - 112,360 of132,979
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
No word whose definition includes "island" is used in the prophecy.
KAB, you don't have to play stupid here. We already know that you are.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, by doing so you make all claims of prophesy worthless.
With your definition any prophesy can be applied to almost any event.
Not so. The prophecy has very specific boundaries to its range of possible meaning (e.g., Tyre, Nebuchadnezzar, others must be involved, there must be scraping bare and throwing in water, at least some aspect of not rebuilding must be permanently sustained, and there's more). This is no red car you know!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
KAB, you don't have to play stupid here. We already know that you are.
He ain't playin'.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A negative cannot be proven.
Is the statement in the post to which I'm responding, "A negative can be proven."?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the statement in the post to which I'm responding, "A negative can be proven."?

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
"The more educated you are about something" reflects greater knowledge/understanding of the thing. "the less you realize you know about it" reflects lower realization of what you know about it, even tho the first phrase acknowledges realization of more. The two notions are mutually exclusive.
A good search term on this would be "Dunning-Kruger effect."

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Kitten Koder wrote, "A negative cannot be proven."

That depends.
If a claim is made regarding something invisible, it can't be disproven.
That's how Carl Sagan got by with claiming that there was an invisible dragon in his garage.
On the other thread, one of the Creationists challenged the Evolutionists to prove that God doesn't exist.
I guess we can't, since God is invisible.

Also, if a claim is not confined to a particular place, it would be difficult to disprove.
In order to prove that there are no werewolves or vampires, one would have to explore the entire world.

However, a claim might be disproven if it involves the visible and is limited to a particular place.
One could go to the peak of Mount Olympus to find out if the Greek gods live there.
One could also go to the North Pole to find out if Santa Claus lives there.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
"The more educated you are about something" reflects greater knowledge/understanding of the thing. "the less you realize you know about it" reflects lower realization of what you know about it, even tho the first phrase acknowledges realization of more. The two notions are mutually exclusive.
No. You are such a fantastic example of it, it would be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You're entitled to your opinion.
So, you admit that you're just asserting opinion, not objective facts. You're so pointless. Spheres aren't as pointless as you are.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not hold science to an unrealistic standard of absolute certainty. I also don't raise science above where it is. You do.
Sure you do. You ask for conclusive evidence. Why do you lie?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting since I just proved one.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
A good search term on this would be "Dunning-Kruger effect."
Except that what was stated is not the Dunning-Kruger effect. It is instead a statement the two parts of which directly contradict each other. So it may have been stated by someone suffering from DK.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Thomas Robertson wrote:
That depends.
That's how Carl Sagan got by with claiming that there was an invisible dragon in his garage.
On the other thread, one of the Creationists challenged the Evolutionists to prove that God doesn't exist.
Also, if a claim is not confined to a particular place, it would be difficult to disprove.
In order to prove that there are no werewolves or vampires, one would have to explore the entire world.
However, a claim might be disproven if it involves the visible and is limited to a particular place.
One could go to the peak of Mount Olympus to find out if the Greek gods live there.
Thanks TR. I hope Kitten will give you a hearing ear, or would that be seeing eye considering the nature of this forum? Refusal to accept truth from an opponent is a significant impediment to progress.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you do. You ask for conclusive evidence. Why do you lie?
Can something be established as conclusive without conclusive evidence?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Oh Markie, where art thou?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Can something be established as conclusive without conclusive evidence?
Not only do you, you claim do so DESPITE conclusive evidence. For starters, there is your statement, "the Bible is a demonstrably reliable source," which is just the tip of the cellophane iceberg you seem to fantasize as "Truth."
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only do you, you claim do so DESPITE conclusive evidence. For starters, there is your statement, "the Bible is a demonstrably reliable source," which is just the tip of the cellophane iceberg you seem to fantasize as "Truth."
Why don't you just demonstrate the Bible is unreliable. Oh, that's right. That would require confirming data, and all you provide are unconfirmed assertions. I realize that's so much easier, but alas, worthless.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you just demonstrate the Bible is unreliable. Oh, that's right. That would require confirming data, and all you provide are unconfirmed assertions. I realize that's so much easier, but alas, worthless.
How do you want the Bible invalidated?

What would it take for the Bible to be shown to be wrong for you?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you want the Bible invalidated?
What would it take for the Bible to be shown to be wrong for you?
For something stated in the Bible, provide conclusive data confirming that there is no linguistically, grammatically, and contextually valid possible understanding which could be correct.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Thomas Robertson wrote:
That depends.
Asking for evidence that something never happens is an impossibility, it cannot be done, because a lack of evidence is essentially meaning it never happens. However, since nothing can be proven with 100% certainty, no matter what it is, a negative cannot be proven, an assertion that depends on an absence of evidence cannot be proven. Not to mention, what he pulled is a red herring anyway, and has nothing to do with what I had originally stated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,341 - 112,360 of132,979
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••