It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...
Comments
111,001 - 111,020 of 134,068 Comments Last updated 8 min ago

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that, since doubt is uncertainty, to be without doubt about something, and yet acknowledge it may not be so, is to falsify the lack of doubt. That's not to take anything away from your keen ability to do just that.
Wrong.

You simply don't understand the difference between certainty and being without doubt.

Is it possible that Earth is not generally spherical in shape? It's extremely unlikely, given all the evidence and the fulfilled predictions based on it being generally spherical. But, is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Therefore, it's not a certainty, but scientists do not doubt its form.

Or, to put it another way: you accept the Bible as inerrant, as is the way of the Jehoveh's Witnesses. You do not doubt that it is the word of God and perfect. However, that doesn't mean you don't accept that there is a possibility that it could be imperfect or in some way untrue.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you understand it, then certainly you can explain the harmony in the following:
"These things are true, part of reality."
and
"No scientific conclusion is ever completely final."
BTW, the expression "absolutely correct" is that as in "a certainty"?
There is a vanishingly small chance that you could put 4 marbles into an empty bag and pull out 5 and overwhelming odds that you could pull out 3. Probabilities *approach* absolute zero or absolute 100.
These things are true, part of reality.
You maintain (through your faith in your religion and a Book) that your God manifests absolute 100. That in no way makes your belief a certain reality.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

ABC had a show on this morning about the Atacama Desert. I'm sure KAB would have enjoyed it.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking in general or scientifically?
Just give me the real world answer, where certain things are facts whether we accept them or not, and whether considered generally or scientifically.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a general proposition. Not a scientific one.
When are you going to answer my questions about your cult and why they tell lies?
You provide the questions one at a time, and as I see them I will answer them one at a time as I have been.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not what the fact is. A fact is not a negative but a positive, thus, the fact is not that the Earth is not cubic, but that the Earth is a lopsided spheroid.
Your side is so into its assertion-only syndrome that you don't even check the simplest of things for confirmation before spewing.
Form Webster's Online,

Fact:
5: a piece of information presented as having objective reality

Here's a piece of info for you. Earth is not cubic in shape. Get use to reality.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Just give me the real world answer, where certain things are facts whether we accept them or not, and whether considered generally or scientifically.

Hummm..... tricky.

In fact there are only two facts (irony intentional) that are 100% certain.
1. Cogito ergo sum
2. First person (psychological) reports.(I think, I feel, I sense (though the object of senses may or may not be real). It is not possible for either of these to be not true.

Beyond that there are lessor facts which can never be 100% certain.

Lessor "facts" include KAB, water, GPS satellites, oblate spheroid planets, evolution, apples. These are all over 99% certain but less than 100%.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You provide the questions one at a time, and as I see them I will answer them one at a time as I have been.

I tried that. Didn't work.

Okay here is ONE question.

What makes you think you are in the truth when your cult encourages witnesses to lie?

Many references to this. Here is one interesting one.

"the Watchtower teaches that "to lie and deceive in the interest of their religion is Scripturally approved" (Kotwall, 1997:1). Jehovah's Witnesses do not always lie outright, but they often lie according to the court's definition--not telling "the whole truth and nothing but the truth," which means the court requires the whole story, not half-truths or deception (Bergman 1998). In the words of Raines, theocratic warfare in practice means "deceiving" to protect and advance the interests of "God's people" especially God's "organization the Watchtower" (Raines, 1996:20)."

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/eisenhower.html

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Your side is so into its assertion-only syndrome that you don't even check the simplest of things for confirmation before spewing.
Form Webster's Online,
Fact:
5: a piece of information presented as having objective reality
Here's a piece of info for you. Earth is not cubic in shape. Get use to reality.

Is this a lie or did you not actually read KKs post?

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not what the fact is. A fact is not a negative but a positive, thus, the fact is not that the Earth is not cubic, but that the Earth is a lopsided spheroid.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't doubt that OJ Simpson killed two people, because the evidence is so damning. However, if a video were presented that shows Ron and Nicole being slain by someone else, I would be convinced that he didn't. I accept the evidence as valid, find it compelling, and have been convinced of his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Is it still conceivable that he could be innocent? Yes, through an amazing series of coincidences and improbabilities. But, that doesn't mean I doubt his guilt. It could have been unicorns and leprechauns that did it. Doubt and certainty aren't perfect antonyms, though colloquially they may seem to be.
If you recognize/acknowledge the possibility that OJ didn't do it, then your lack of doubt regarding him is misplaced. You should rather be doubting his innocence. However, I agree that such a position is characteristic of your side and goes a long way toward explaining why it is so difficult for us to make progress toward resolving issues.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
If you recognize/acknowledge the possibility that OJ didn't do it, then your lack of doubt regarding him is misplaced. You should rather be doubting his innocence. However, I agree that such a position is characteristic of your side and goes a long way toward explaining why it is so difficult for us to make progress toward resolving issues.

Gee, and all this time I though it was because you were an ignorant, brainwashed, zealot.

Silly me.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
You simply don't understand the difference between certainty and being without doubt.
Is it possible that Earth is not generally spherical in shape? It's extremely unlikely, given all the evidence and the fulfilled predictions based on it being generally spherical. But, is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Therefore, it's not a certainty, but scientists do not doubt its form.
Or, to put it another way: you accept the Bible as inerrant, as is the way of the Jehoveh's Witnesses. You do not doubt that it is the word of God and perfect. However, that doesn't mean you don't accept that there is a possibility that it could be imperfect or in some way untrue.
Characteristically, your words, not mine. Will you ever break that mold?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a vanishingly small chance that you could put 4 marbles into an empty bag and pull out 5 and overwhelming odds that you could pull out 3. Probabilities *approach* absolute zero or absolute 100.
These things are true, part of reality.
You maintain (through your faith in your religion and a Book) that your God manifests absolute 100. That in no way makes your belief a certain reality.
Your words, not mine.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

MikeF wrote:
ABC had a show on this morning about the Atacama Desert. I'm sure KAB would have enjoyed it.
Indeed, I'm sorry I missed it.
Anonymous

Payson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

What kind of God would have deliberately created
Negroes?
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummm..... tricky.
1. Cogito ergo sum
2. First person (psychological) reports.(I think, I feel, I sense (though the object of senses may or may not be real). It is not possible for either of these to be not true.
Lessor "facts" include KAB, water, GPS satellites, oblate spheroid planets, evolution, apples. These are all over 99% certain but less than 100%.
You're entitled to your easily proven wrong opinion.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried that. Didn't work.
Okay here is ONE question.
What makes you think you are in the truth when your cult encourages witnesses to lie?
Many references to this. Here is one interesting one.
"the Watchtower teaches that "to lie and deceive in the interest of their religion is Scripturally approved" (Kotwall, 1997:1). Jehovah's Witnesses do not always lie outright, but they often lie according to the court's definition--not telling "the whole truth and nothing but the truth," which means the court requires the whole story, not half-truths or deception (Bergman 1998). In the words of Raines, theocratic warfare in practice means "deceiving" to protect and advance the interests of "God's people" especially God's "organization the Watchtower" (Raines, 1996:20)."
http://www.seanet.com/~raines/eisenhower.html
Your conditional is false. The first clue to this is that neither it or your references are Watchtower quotes.
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a lie or did you not actually read KKs post?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither
KAB

Oxford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

moltke wrote:
What kind of God would have deliberately created
Negroes?
Acts 10:34,35

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You're entitled to your easily proven wrong opinion.

I did not provide an opinion in my post. Unless you did not like my choice of examples. If that is the issue change the examples to anything you like not covered by the the two things we actually know.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummm..... tricky.
1. Cogito ergo sum

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••