It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ... Full Story
KAB

Oxford, NC

#113057 Mar 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are measuring the data's validity only on it's popularity. So, to you, reality is decided by popular opinion.
No, I'm not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113058 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You may enjoy this article, as I did.
http://michigantoday.umich.edu/2007/Sep/sci_m...
Here are two quotes from it,
"Scientists talk a lot about facts, about things that we know are true. And it's true that most of what we know is so well established as to be beyond doubt. Dinosaurs once walked the Earth. Lightning is an electrical discharge. Continents drift. These things are true, part of reality."
"No scientific conclusion is ever completely final; everything is open to revision."
It appears that at least some scientists speak with forked mind. I know you don't have that problem with regard to this matter.

Both statements are absolutely correct. If you don't understand then you don't understand science. Not a huge shock to the rest of us.

They are also exactly what we have been trying to tell you for some time.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113059 Mar 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are measuring the data's validity only on it's popularity. So, to you, reality is decided by popular opinion.

KAB is only interested in the popular opinion of his overlords.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113060 Mar 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Only after the current Governing Body tells him what the approved popular opinion is at the moment.

i was talking over dinner with my nephew who is a graduate student in theology about the JWs, as well as other issues. He thinks they are even crazier than I do. He was telling me about some of the other things they make up as they go along.

One JW family apparently disowned their 5 year old son after he received a life saving blood transfusion after a car accident.

That was probably the LEAST crazy thing he told me about them. I am saving the good stuff for KAB. I just love it when he squirms.

Have you seen him answer any of my questions about his JW cult lately?

Me neither.

He has got to be the worst "witness" for "Jehovah" EVER.

KAB

Oxford, NC

#113061 Mar 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Both statements are absolutely correct. If you don't understand then you don't understand science. Not a huge shock to the rest of us.
They are also exactly what we have been trying to tell you for some time.
Since you understand it, then certainly you can explain the harmony in the following:

"These things are true, part of reality."
and
"No scientific conclusion is ever completely final."

BTW, the expression "absolutely correct" is that as in "a certainty"?
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#113062 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You may enjoy this article, as I did.
http://michigantoday.umich.edu/2007/Sep/sci_m...
Here are two quotes from it,
"Scientists talk a lot about facts, about things that we know are true. And it's true that most of what we know is so well established as to be beyond doubt. Dinosaurs once walked the Earth. Lightning is an electrical discharge. Continents drift. These things are true, part of reality."
"No scientific conclusion is ever completely final; everything is open to revision."
It appears that at least some scientists speak with forked mind. I know you don't have that problem with regard to this matter.
As to be beyond doubt. We can be without doubt yet still be convinced by evidence to the contrary. Clearly you don't understand what "doubt" means.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113063 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you understand it, then certainly you can explain the harmony in the following:
and

The first statement is common vernacular, the second is scientific.

For example is evolution a fact or a theory?

Answer: Yes!

In the "real world" we accept certain things as facts.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113064 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes. When speaking and thinking in those terms.

But not in science.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#113065 Mar 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
As to be beyond doubt. We can be without doubt yet still be convinced by evidence to the contrary. Clearly you don't understand what "doubt" means.
I understand that, since doubt is uncertainty, to be without doubt about something, and yet acknowledge it may not be so, is to falsify the lack of doubt. That's not to take anything away from your keen ability to do just that.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#113066 Mar 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The first statement is common vernacular, the second is scientific.
For example is evolution a fact or a theory?
Answer: Yes!
In the "real world" we accept certain things as facts.
Do you accept as fact Earth not being cubic in shape?
KAB

Oxford, NC

#113067 Mar 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. When speaking and thinking in those terms.
But not in science.
In this case I side with the scientists' position that there are certain things which are beyond doubt (i.e., we know for certain what the reality is). Earth not being cubic in shape is one of them.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113068 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking in general or scientifically?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113069 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case I side with the scientists' position that there are certain things which are beyond doubt (i.e., we know for certain what the reality is). Earth not being cubic in shape is one of them.

That is a general proposition. Not a scientific one.

When are you going to answer my questions about your cult and why they tell lies?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113070 Mar 29, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not what the fact is. A fact is not a negative but a positive, thus, the fact is not that the Earth is not cubic, but that the Earth is a lopsided spheroid.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#113071 Mar 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that, since doubt is uncertainty, to be without doubt about something, and yet acknowledge it may not be so, is to falsify the lack of doubt. That's not to take anything away from your keen ability to do just that.
I don't doubt that OJ Simpson killed two people, because the evidence is so damning. However, if a video were presented that shows Ron and Nicole being slain by someone else, I would be convinced that he didn't. I accept the evidence as valid, find it compelling, and have been convinced of his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Is it still conceivable that he could be innocent? Yes, through an amazing series of coincidences and improbabilities. But, that doesn't mean I doubt his guilt. It could have been unicorns and leprechauns that did it. Doubt and certainty aren't perfect antonyms, though colloquially they may seem to be.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#113072 Mar 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.

You simply don't understand the difference between certainty and being without doubt.

Is it possible that Earth is not generally spherical in shape? It's extremely unlikely, given all the evidence and the fulfilled predictions based on it being generally spherical. But, is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Therefore, it's not a certainty, but scientists do not doubt its form.

Or, to put it another way: you accept the Bible as inerrant, as is the way of the Jehoveh's Witnesses. You do not doubt that it is the word of God and perfect. However, that doesn't mean you don't accept that there is a possibility that it could be imperfect or in some way untrue.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113073 Mar 30, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
and
There is a vanishingly small chance that you could put 4 marbles into an empty bag and pull out 5 and overwhelming odds that you could pull out 3. Probabilities *approach* absolute zero or absolute 100.
These things are true, part of reality.
You maintain (through your faith in your religion and a Book) that your God manifests absolute 100. That in no way makes your belief a certain reality.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#113074 Mar 30, 2013
ABC had a show on this morning about the Atacama Desert. I'm sure KAB would have enjoyed it.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#113075 Mar 30, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking in general or scientifically?
Just give me the real world answer, where certain things are facts whether we accept them or not, and whether considered generally or scientifically.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#113076 Mar 30, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a general proposition. Not a scientific one.
When are you going to answer my questions about your cult and why they tell lies?
You provide the questions one at a time, and as I see them I will answer them one at a time as I have been.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min DanFromSmithville 117,388
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 25 min Zog Has-fallen 657
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 45 min Dogen 174,462
Darwin on the rocks 1 hr dog groomer 158
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 2 hr The Dude 14
Why are there no dinosaur pen is fossil? Sep 27 David M 2
New Fossil Reveals Multicellular Life Evolved 6... Sep 26 TedHOhio 8

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE