It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 161476 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111627 Mar 4, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>You need to learn the definition of historical certainty. There is no such thing.

There is no such thing as "certainty" (outside of Descartes and his ramifications) so that is a given. But that is not what SZ was talking about and you are being dishonest if you suggest that it is.

Read the post again

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we do know that. There is no evidence of a worldwide flood 4,500 years ago, yet there is evidence of smaller older floods. Logically a newer larger event should have overwritten the smaller older event. This is a case where no evidence for an event is evidence against it. That is rather rare, but in this case lack of supporting evidence is evidence against your claim.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111628 Mar 4, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>THe Bible

Nearly as many people, world wide, would answer The Koran.
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text> Well, let's put it this way, I'd accept the claim of sheephumpers before I'd accept your ignornace.You are not the national spokes person for science. Many scientists are creationists!<quoted text>I wish you were smart enough to understand it.

Not that many scientists are Creationists. Especially when only counting real scientists (not mathematicians, engineers, MD's,......

The percentage is even lower among biological scientists.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111629 Mar 4, 2013
Dogen,
In reference to lines 34 and 35 of post #111624, please note that 1) I am not a "her" and 2) as truth is extraneous from a biased intent, my observations stand that the religious delight when rational discourse is waylaid into theological quagmires.
ChromiuMan
KAB

United States

#111630 Mar 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
OEC or YEC is the difference between steel cut oats or instant oatmeal. When you boil it down they are both mush.
(Note to KAB: Remember the 9th commandment?)
Neither OEC or YEC was the basis for your post, was it? Why aren't you trying to defend your post on its merits? That would be the scientific approach.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#111632 Mar 4, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>I am devoted to reality
http://meowcheese.com/files/lolpics/2008/06/l...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#111633 Mar 4, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Typical atheist reply when cornered. Avoid the subject and spray BS.
Talk to me, big man!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111634 Mar 4, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Leprechauns could be in the running if they had a demonstrated reliable source vouching for them.
So you are calling billions of people liars?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111635 Mar 4, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither OEC or YEC was the basis for your post, was it? Why aren't you trying to defend your post on its merits? That would be the scientific approach.
Defend what part(s) of which post(s)? You'll have to be a little more specific. Do you mean the part about how fossils and sedimentary rocks don't form on mountaintops and how there is a complete and total lack of evidence in support of Da Flud or the part about how the verbiage of scripture is merely distracting minutiae that contributes nothing whatsoever to the "evolution debate?"

Or perhaps you object to the use of the word psychotic?
Psychosis: noun,
The loss of contact with reality that usually includes: False beliefs about what is taking place or who one is (delusions); Seeing or hearing things that aren't there (hallucinations).
Maybe you can ask the Guy for more inspiration on that subject?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111636 Mar 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
Dogen,
In reference to lines 34 and 35 of post #111624, please note that 1) I am not a "her" and 2) as truth is extraneous from a biased intent, my observations stand that the religious delight when rational discourse is waylaid into theological quagmires.
ChromiuMan

Sorry about that. I believe the 'her' to be a typo. And I did not mean to disagree with you on that point.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#111637 Mar 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are calling billions of people liars?
There are only about 7 billion people on the planet now. What proportion do you think hold leprechauns to be real? Whatever the actual number, I know of none that are demonstrated reliable sources. Hey, we're talking error free record here!
KAB

Wilson, NC

#111638 Mar 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Defend what part(s) of which post(s)? You'll have to be a little more specific. Do you mean the part about how fossils and sedimentary rocks don't form on mountaintops and how there is a complete and total lack of evidence in support of Da Flud or the part about how the verbiage of scripture is merely distracting minutiae that contributes nothing whatsoever to the "evolution debate?"
Or perhaps you object to the use of the word psychotic?
Psychosis: noun,
The loss of contact with reality that usually includes: False beliefs about what is taking place or who one is (delusions); Seeing or hearing things that aren't there (hallucinations).
Maybe you can ask the Guy for more inspiration on that subject?
It's this post, oh forgetful one,

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#111639 Mar 4, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
There are only about 7 billion people on the planet now. What proportion do you think hold leprechauns to be real? Whatever the actual number, I know of none that are demonstrated reliable sources. Hey, we're talking error free record here!
But, as there is controversy, LEGITIMATE controversy, regarding the Bible's reliability, and as any honestly skeptical person would never consider a source's reputation as sufficient justification for accepting absolutely any claim from that source as true prima facie, you can't honestly hold the position you hold. Guess what that makes you? Not just to us, but to yourself. That's sad.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#111640 Mar 4, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know there are no errors between the original stories and the earliest texts of the Bible? For all you know, the original stories said Adam and Steve!:) You have no way of verifying accuracy against the original stories. Decades and hearsay have gotten between the stories and the page. And, let's not forget Paul!
KAB

Wilson, NC

#111641 Mar 4, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, as there is controversy, LEGITIMATE controversy, regarding the Bible's reliability, and as any honestly skeptical person would never consider a source's reputation as sufficient justification for accepting absolutely any claim from that source as true prima facie, you can't honestly hold the position you hold. Guess what that makes you? Not just to us, but to yourself. That's sad.
You're entitled to your view.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#111642 Mar 4, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know there are no errors between the original stories and the earliest texts of the Bible? For all you know, the original stories said Adam and Steve!:) You have no way of verifying accuracy against the original stories. Decades and hearsay have gotten between the stories and the page. And, let's not forget Paul!
There's always that chance unless YHWH wants people to have access to an accurate record about him (2 Timothy 3:16).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111643 Mar 5, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

Error free records do not exist.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111644 Mar 5, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
It's this post, oh forgetful one,
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...

Not sure what you are linking to. I am the only one on that page providing data.

You get the wrong link? Or are you just hoping people won't check?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111645 Mar 5, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>

He demands ABSOLUTE proof that the flood did not happen. But his standards for his religious book is that anything goes and it is proven reliable.

What Buggs Bunny referred to as a "hipotwrit"!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111646 Mar 5, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You're entitled to your view.

Lowell was not presenting his personal view. He was reflecting on the actual state of affairs as they actually exist. You hand wave does not make that disappear to anyone but yourself.

It comes back to the point I have made over and over again; that you are just here for your own selfish reasons. You just need to keep your cognitive dissonance low and this is a way to do that. In other words it makes you feel better about your programming (er.... "belief").

Can you say "Narcissistic", boys and girls? I knew you could!

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111647 Mar 5, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you still can't distinguish assertion from supporting data.
Yet all your own "supporting data" stems from the indefensible assertion that we should accept the Bible on faith.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min Nohweh 30,607
Do alleged ERVs confirm common descent? 3 hr Dogen 110
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Dogen 70,561
G-d versus Evolution? 10 hr Dogen 35
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr Dogen 3,852
News Episode 2: The Birth of Climate Denial 11 hr Subduction Zone 7
The Subduction Zone class on Evidence. (Jun '13) 19 hr Out of the Night 78
More from around the web