It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ... Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111221 Feb 26, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Look! Here's an example of seeing what you want to see,
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...
as if what you see here is the only possible understanding.
What the hell are you talking about? Are you suggesting that there are no discrepancies between translations? They can't even agree on which books to include.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#111222 Feb 26, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Never heard of him, but appears to be a nice enough guy. See ya!
You never heard of C. Everett Koop? The former surgeon general? Were you alive in America during the 80's? Did you ever read a newspaper or watch the news during the Reagan years?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#111223 Feb 26, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
??? You never heard of C. Everett Koop, Surgeon General under Reagan?
I know, right? Really illustrates just how completely ignorant the guy is.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#111224 Feb 26, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Context never was your thing.
Nor education yours.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111225 Feb 26, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, right? Really illustrates just how completely ignorant the guy is.
One wonders if he's ever heard of Ronald Reagan.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111226 Feb 26, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Random Bible Quote Generator?

I think so. Most of his bible verses are way off topic. He also does not seem to give a tiny little rats hinny what the historic background of the book is nor, precisely, what the verse is talking about.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111227 Feb 26, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
You never heard of C. Everett Koop? The former surgeon general? Were you alive in America during the 80's? Did you ever read a newspaper or watch the news during the Reagan years?

Ironically, I remember Marksman quoting CEK before. But he lives under a rock, remember?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111228 Feb 26, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, I remember Marksman quoting CEK before. But he lives under a rock, remember?
I thought he had as well which is why I brought it up.

{shrug}

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111229 Feb 26, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I think so. Most of his bible verses are way off topic. He also does not seem to give a tiny little rats hinny what the historic background of the book is nor, precisely, what the verse is talking about.
Well, since he espouses the concept that words can mean almost anything, I guess it doesn't really matter which one he quotes.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#111230 Feb 26, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your translator inerrant?
To 7S.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#111231 Feb 26, 2013
Honestly, it's just like god.
What it doesn't know does not exist.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#111232 Feb 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has archaeological, paleoanthropological, and DNA evidence that Homo-sapiens first shows up around 200,000 years ago and that humankind (Homo-sapiens) was never down to just 1 or 4 mating pairs.
And then there are the other hominids; some that roamed the earth for a few million years and eventually led to us. Homo-ergaster, Homo-erectus, Homo-habilis, Homo-heidelbergensis, Homo-Neanderthalensis, etc., etc. and they walked upright and made tools.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_ev...
http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics/...
How does this fit into the Adam and Eve hypothesis?
Aren't there non-humans that make tools today?

What's in a label? Adam and Eve were the first humans (i.e., what science today calls "modern humans").

To somewhat sensitize you to the realm, here's some puzzling data from your reference.
mtDNA varies among "modern" humans by an average of 8 base substitutions. "Modern" human mtDNA varies from Neanderthals by 27 substitutions. Neanderthals mtDNA varies from one another by 20 bases, but they are stated to be less diverse than "modern humans. Since I don't want to give anything away I'll just ask what can you conclude from this?

Since what's considered "modern" humans is a judgment call, and the dating methods, especially genetic methods, involve estimates based on assumptions which may not be correct, dating their origins is necessarily also a judgment call.

BTW as a bonus, your source states that C14 dating places the origins of writing, state societies, and civilization, including Sumer and Egypt at 4500 years ago.

As a final thought, have you honestly never seen anyone living who could have passed for a Neanderthal?
KAB

Oxford, NC

#111233 Feb 26, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, as one would expect from 50,000 years of errosion.
But no topsoil from far away lands,
no salt,
no fish fossils.....
What you find is exactly what you would expect to find from an impact crater that is 50,000 years old and on dry land the entire time.
You don't seem to understand. It has hundreds of feet of LAKE, not RAIN, sediment in it, complete with shells.
KAB

Oxford, NC

#111234 Feb 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.
1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.
2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
The order in the first (Genesis 1), the Priestly tradition:
Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky (?)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars (as calendrical and navigational aids)
Day 5: Sea monsters (whales), fish, birds, land animals, reptiles, insects, etc.
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Day 7: Nothing (the Gods took the day off)
Note that there are "days," "evenings," and "mornings" before the Sun was created. Here, the Deity is referred to as "Elohim," which is a plural, thus the literal translation, "the Gods." In this tale, the Gods seem satisfied with what they have done, saying after each step that "it was good."
The second one (Genesis 2), the Yahwist tradition, goes:
Earth and heavens (misty)
Adam, the first man (on a desolate Earth)
Plants
Animals
Eve, the first woman (from Adam's rib)
MAAT can probably verify for you that ancient Hebrew had no word for son-in-law.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#111236 Feb 27, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
??? You never heard of C. Everett Koop, Surgeon General under Reagan?
Nope, why should I?

Level 1

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#111237 Feb 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I see - only _your_ random twistings of scripture are permitted.
Of course.
Scipture says what scripture says. Sorry you don't like it, and it refutes your world view.

Level 1

Location hidden

#111238 Feb 27, 2013
Belief in Evolution is Like Belief in Santa Claus
An evolutionist goes into the forest and sees all kinds of plants and animals under the trees. To him, this is undeniable evidence that evolution happened. How else could all those creatures have gotten there?

A child goes into the living room on Christmas morning and sees all kinds of presents under the tree. To him, this is undeniable evidence that Santa Claus has been there. How else could all those presents have gotten there?

Every Christmas, humorous articles are written by engineers about the theory of Santa Claus. They make some reasonable assumptions about the number of houses in North America, the speed of Santa's sleigh, and compute the average length of time Santa can spend at each house. The conclusion, of course is that Santa can't possible make the trip in one evening. If you try to use these facts to convince a child that Santa can't make the trip, he won't believe you. There are presents under the tree. Santa must have been there. You just can't deny the fact of Santa Claus, even though the theory is shaky.

Similarly, mathematicians have conclusively demonstrated the impossibility of chemicals randomly combining to form a living cell. Engineers have shown that the energy required to put together the more complex molecules would have destroyed the partial products. But evolutionists continue to believe that the first living cell formed by chance. There are creatures under the trees. Evolution must have happened. You can't deny the fact of evolution, even though the theory is shaky.

Children believe that Santa's reindeer can fly. They have never seen a reindeer fly. There isn't any scientific explanation as to how they could fly. But reindeer must fly because they pull Santa's sleigh through the air. Furthermore, there is proof that Santa's reindeer live at the North Pole. The proof is that they aren't found anywhere else. Since they must live somewhere, they must live at the North Pole.

Evolutionists believe that animals change from one species to another. Nobody has every seen it happen. After 130 years of searching the fossil record, there is no fossil evidence to indicate that it has happened in the past.

http://www.ridgenet.net/~do_while/sage/v1i3f....

Level 1

Location hidden

#111239 Feb 27, 2013
Can we prove that evolution is false without using the Bible? Certainly we can! Evolution is a scientific theory that stands or falls on the physical evidence. In fact, one can be an atheist, a person who doesn't believe in God, and still not believe in evolution!

http://www.ucg.org/science/prove-evolution-fa...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111240 Feb 27, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Scipture says what scripture says. Sorry you don't like it, and it refutes your world view.
However it almost never says what you say it does anyway.

Level 1

Location hidden

#111241 Feb 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
However it almost never says what you say it does anyway.
Prove it, or apologize!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 8 min TedHOhio 173,924
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min Aura Mytha 116,787
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 22 min KimBoe 69
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 58 min Strel 11
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 1 hr The Dude 357
Need clarification on evolution 3 hr The Dude 14
Darwin on the rocks 4 hr TedHOhio 2
New review critical of "Origins" 13 hr DanFromSmithville 30
•••

Evolution Debate People Search