It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ... Full Story

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Bay of Fundy

#111141 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears you have not read/studied the Bible. Have you? Reading/studying what others state about the Bible is not reading/studying the Bible. Note that you, like all your comrades in this forum, did not provide confirming data for even one error. You can only go so far as to declare "we DO have it", but for some reason can't provide it. Why is that do you think?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.
1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.
2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

The order in the first (Genesis 1), the Priestly tradition:

Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky (?)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars (as calendrical and navigational aids)
Day 5: Sea monsters (whales), fish, birds, land animals, reptiles, insects, etc.
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Day 7: Nothing (the Gods took the day off)

Note that there are "days," "evenings," and "mornings" before the Sun was created. Here, the Deity is referred to as "Elohim," which is a plural, thus the literal translation, "the Gods." In this tale, the Gods seem satisfied with what they have done, saying after each step that "it was good."

The second one (Genesis 2), the Yahwist tradition, goes:

Earth and heavens (misty)
Adam, the first man (on a desolate Earth)
Plants
Animals
Eve, the first woman (from Adam's rib)

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Location hidden

#111142 Feb 25, 2013
Some sense in the article but particularly in the first comment:
http://www.skepticalmonkey.com/scientific-acc...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111143 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree that MAAT is wrong in his contention that John was written centuries after the other Gospels?

That is what the evidence states. Parts of John may have been written that late, but the basic text was probably written very early in the second century a.d.

The shorter version of Mark was in circulation as late as 430 a.d. So some of the text was still "in play".

Level 5

Location hidden

#111144 Feb 25, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuwg (sp. On phone). It's been shown to you before. You either can't learn or refuse to learn.
It still is one of the strangest words, i wonder about it's etymology.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111145 Feb 25, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
He definitely is. An anthropomorphosis of the saviour concept.
At fist they would however have used christ (and probably not as smearred one but in the same way it stated before IUXU or XAIA-
'simple man'), no mention of jesus.
But the worst of it is that this happened due to wrong translations and misunderstanding central ideas in the torah.
So that's the legacy.

I disagree that Jesus may have been a myth. There is a big difference between being mythologized and being a myth.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111146 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Purple is not an invisible attribute. QED

Nor is Watchtowerism a Christian attribute. But what's your point?

And your ignoring the actual issue of the post does not go by unnoticed.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111147 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm comfortable with that.

Taken aback by your sudden burst of honesty.

To what do we owe this revelation?

MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I consider you intellectually dishonest, mentally lazy, functionally illiterate and you never make an effort to start a search.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111148 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the church fathers didn't limit their focus to the timing of John. If you can't provide the relatively small amount of data pertinent to confirming that timing then so be it. I will gladly go to the specific portion of another forum which addresses this specific matter by providing confirming data. Just provide the specific reference.

Slightly off topic but since John dates later than the other gospels, contains gnostic elements, is not as historically accurate as the other gospels, would the church fathers have been right in excluding it from the bible as they almost did?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111149 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit that I have done my share of finding apparent Bible errors and attempting to confirm them, but, like you, so far have been unable to confirm even one.

You obviously did not look with an open mind (eyes to see and ears to hear).

Now, if the bible was a completely fabricated story book, what errors might you expect to find? Remember, most of the 72,000 known errors in the bible are fairly minor, translation errors, punctuation, incorrect references to earlier books,....

Level 5

Location hidden

#111150 Feb 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree that Jesus may have been a myth. There is a big difference between being mythologized and being a myth.
pilate was a tyrant, not the softy as depicted, so if it comes to people sufering the fate JC suffered, we have plenty takers.
The only problem with that is that he does not fit that role of righteous of a generation, but the way he is describe distances himself from such a concept and judaism in general.

But the simple answer is that we lack credible contemporary sources.

Apropos: We're still completely ignoring the fact that the Earth is not a sphere, but an oblate spheroid.
So a winding like a ball of yarn would come closer.

Level 9

Bay of Fundy

#111151 Feb 25, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide this ancient Hebrew word for sphere.
Seems Job thought the earth was flat...possibly a circle, but not a sphere.

"take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it (Job 38:12-13)"

Level 5

Location hidden

#111152 Feb 25, 2013
And something akin to what i stated before.
quote:
Men who lived 2500 years ago would have understood particle physics or a nuclear reactor had a competent tutor explained it to them.
Your ancestors weren't complete morons, they just didn't have the right tools...

A sea going fleet and spinning round like a compass- meshugah.

Level 9

Bay of Fundy

#111153 Feb 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why was Jesus on earth??

Level 5

Location hidden

#111154 Feb 25, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems Job thought the earth was flat...possibly a circle, but not a sphere.
"take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it (Job 38:12-13)"
It's the only book with an arab word in it...;p

To accurately navigate or keepthe calendar correct observations were needed. So i think it's another case of bulit, or indeed lacking the word.
The other point is that old Israel lies in a circumference of higher land.
the earth was not much bigger than that for the tribe. Big enough.
Regardless of what biblethumpers claim in terms of universe- and world domination.

Another quote for the fun of it:
"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111155 Feb 25, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Why was Jesus on earth??

Because he was born.

Maybe I don't understand the question.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111156 Feb 25, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
pilate was a tyrant, not the softy as depicted, so if it comes to people sufering the fate JC suffered, we have plenty takers.
The only problem with that is that he does not fit that role of righteous of a generation, but the way he is describe distances himself from such a concept and judaism in general.
But the simple answer is that we lack credible contemporary sources.
Apropos: We're still completely ignoring the fact that the Earth is not a sphere, but an oblate spheroid.
So a winding like a ball of yarn would come closer.

contemporary sources for Jesus is a big issue. I work backwards from John to Mark then I have to project the data. The number of years between Jesus and Mark is about the same as between Mark and John. When one sees how much myth is added from Mark to John what you get when you work backwards from Mark sheds the rest of the mythology. At this point you are left with his teaching and the effect his teaching had on his direct disciples.

I still find that human character to be quite compelling. But that's me.

Level 9

Bay of Fundy

#111157 Feb 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he was born.
Maybe I don't understand the question.
For what reason was Jesus sent to earth??
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#111158 Feb 25, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you are unable to interpret my writing.
I interpreted it just fine. I'm just sorry you were caught twisting something to make it appear it was saying something that it didn't say.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#111159 Feb 25, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus may very well be a myth.
That means you are probably talking to yourself..:-)
He also may very well be GOD incarnate. That would mean you have made an eternal mistake.

Level 9

Bay of Fundy

#111160 Feb 25, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>I interpreted it just fine. I'm just sorry you were caught twisting something to make it appear it was saying something that it didn't say.
OK, I'm sorry you are to stupid to understand what I and the article were saying.....jeez, get a clue

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 6 min TedHOhio 173,699
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min Tinka 116,616
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 44 min Zog Has-fallen 507
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 11 hr Kong_ 62
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 12 hr thewordofme 166
New review critical of "Origins" 18 hr Kong_ 3
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 20 hr Cujo 10
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE