It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 163795 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#110459 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears that they both win since one is not out of harmony with the other.

Some people have problems with scientific facts like the age of the universe, the age of the earth, evolution and the fact that science disproves literalism.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110460 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The oldest (i.e., closest to original) data from the Bible was not "in play" 100 years ago.

My point. Thank you.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110461 Feb 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the bible to prove the bible is true is the absolutely weakest argument possible. But then, this is consistent with your methods.
I agree that using a document by itself to validate itself doesn't cut it. That's why I don't do it. My input was not validating the Bible. It was one piece of data related to whether Moses ever wrote anything.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110462 Feb 18, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing but truth my friend.
If you're satisfied, what do you want from me?
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110463 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You continue to mistake scientific terminology. You might want to look up the word 'hypothesis' as it applies to science or other forms of empirical research.
There is no hypothesis, that I am aware of, that Moses wrote anything. You may feel free to try to prove me wrong. There are 5 known hypotheses that I am aware of. None of them involve Moses being the author.
The fact that the earliest book of that collection dates 500 years (at the earliest) after Moses negates that as a hypothesis. In other words there is no evidence, as would be required, to support a hypothesis.
Certainly, the age of the earliest known copy of an ancient many-copied document is not generally taken as also being the time when the work was originally written.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110464 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad analogy.
A better one would be if I wrote something today and signed Abe Lincoln's name. Actually, since the first book of the Pentateuch was written 500 years after Moses (if he ever actually existed) it is unlikely he wrote it.
Interesting that you didn't explain what was bad about the analogy. That would be called making application of the data.

Meanwhile, as long as it's possible that Moses wrote the Pentateuch, that's sufficient for now.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110465 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Which refutes your contention.
You forgot to mention that.
Just saying.
Interesting that you didn't explain how the context refutes my application (Bob says he doesn't think you can).
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110466 Feb 18, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering KAB if you had any data to support the Exodus--other then the Bible?
Archaeology has been unable to support it.
The lack of Egyptian records of the humiliation suffered by them is in keeping with customary ancient Egyptian handling of such matters. For the Exodus to have been the only humiliation purportedly recorded by them would have been suspicious don't you think?
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110467 Feb 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you consider your assertion of god hiding the sun and the moon in his shorts until after he created plants to be in harmony with the physical data. Otherwise, your argument is just as silly as it has been the last ten times.
With regard to silly arguments, the account specifically states that there was light before there were plants. So yes, your argument is silly.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#110468 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The lack of Egyptian records of the humiliation suffered by them is in keeping with customary ancient Egyptian handling of such matters. For the Exodus to have been the only humiliation purportedly recorded by them would have been suspicious don't you think?
Do you know of any evidence that the Hebrews did sojourn in Egypt for 400 years or so and grow from about 70 souls to well over a million....probably over 2 million people??

Of course if they didn't spend the time there there would be no Egyptian record either.

Then of course there is the fact that there is no archaeological record for them spending 40 years in the Sinai desert either.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#110469 Feb 18, 2013
Why Christians (and other religions as well) are totally dangerous in today's world.

There will never be world peace until Gods house and Gods people are given their rightful place of leadership at the top of the world. Pat Robertson

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#110470 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
So the data provided thusfar is insufficient to confirm who wrote any of the 3 documents now on the table.
Now you're getting it.... but you disappoint me, a lot. You didn't even Google the Necronomicon, and that's sad. It's not even a real book, but there are some people as insane as you who think Lovecraft was a prophet, the beginnings of a new religion likely, and just like your bible, the Necronomicon will be compiled as a real book eventually and everyone who believes will believe it's written by the Mad Arab.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110471 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that using a document by itself to validate itself doesn't cut it. That's why I don't do it. My input was not validating the Bible. It was one piece of data related to whether Moses ever wrote anything.
One piece of bad data. Like the autobiography of Lincoln I am writing.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110472 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly, the age of the earliest known copy of an ancient many-copied document is not generally taken as also being the time when the work was originally written.

OMG! LOL. You don't have the 1st CLUE.

The earliest COPY of old testament books are from 250 b.c. Hundreds of years after the originals were written.

If we read a book today that was written in middle English it can be dated to when other similar works were written. We DON'T assume that it was written in Old English first then updated, unless we have evidence for that. This is ONE of the ways old writings are dated.

So the books of the Pentateuch are dated as much as 1,000 years after Moses. They show evidence of dozens of "authors" (editors/redactors). Newer books reference older books but (obviously) not vice-verse. They are written in the writing style and language version of the time. Etc...etc...etc.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110473 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you didn't explain what was bad about the analogy. That would be called making application of the data.
Meanwhile, as long as it's possible that Moses wrote the Pentateuch, that's sufficient for now.

No, it isn't because Moses would have been DEAD a thousand years before the last book of the Pentateuch was written (ignoring even later revisions).

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110474 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you didn't explain how the context refutes my application (Bob says he doesn't think you can).

Sorry, I forgot you can't read for comprehension.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110475 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

Your assertion.

Actually the Egyptians recorded bad things but they spun them (like the Republicans and Democrats do), so they did not sound so bad. Tutankhamun's victory at Kadesh is one example (victory?). So it is a matter of understanding Egyptian psychology and how they recorded things. Major events were addressed. They just spun things like you do. So a story about Hebrews being thrown out of Egypt for trouble making would be good evidence. But there is not even any recording of Hebrews even having been in Egypt in any numbers during this time period (Ramses II).

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Location hidden

#110476 Feb 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're getting it.... but you disappoint me, a lot. You didn't even Google the Necronomicon, and that's sad. It's not even a real book, but there are some people as insane as you who think Lovecraft was a prophet, the beginnings of a new religion likely, and just like your bible, the Necronomicon will be compiled as a real book eventually and everyone who believes will believe it's written by the Mad Arab.
I sat that's like missing a great opportunity, the strange world of as i recall a friend of Blatavsky involved, but also Terry Prattchet joking around with it.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#110477 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the data confirming the assertion as correct,
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...
Why doesn't your side ever provide confirming data like that?
Remember what they use to say in the Navy? Provide 'em if you got 'em.
It's "Smoke 'em if you got 'em".

Sheesh.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#110478 Feb 19, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Archaeology - independent of Egyptian records - does not support Exodus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min Eagle 12 - 80,059
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 24 min Eagle 12 - 32,587
News Intelligent design (Jul '15) Sat Dogen 571
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Sat ChromiuMan 222,780
What's your religion? Fri Zog Has-fallen 4
Life started in Tennessee proof. Sep 15 Science4life 1
Science News (Sep '13) Sep 8 Ricky F 4,001
More from around the web