It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Comments (Page 5,399)

Showing posts 107,961 - 107,980 of127,016
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it reminds me of how ignorant you guys are of christianity?
Oddly, polls have shown the opposite. But knowledge of the Bible is neither here nor there, since you have accepted the onus of providing ADDITIONAL FACTS of evolution (not scripture) for "the Darwin crowd.".

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>They may need that in France. We don't need that here. It is not a problem.<quoted text>Fine, I'll be glad for the church to pay taxes, but lets get prayer back in school, and evolution out, then we'll meet you at the tax office. Don't forget to check out our new Nativity Scene as you come in.
You don't want seperation! But you do need it.

I do not see how at east paying for a clean environment and raods to get people to your church, should only be payed by everybody else.
But in your argument you set yourself apart, so again your argument is about your selfish wants, and not what kids should actually have knowledge of.

All church/state seperated states have kids that learn their religion at home or a bibleclass.
Call it extra-ccurricular activity.
And in schools they would learn about religion, theology and in general how people deal with society and from what points of view and how that effects the total picture.

Simplistic bible-thumping is frankly never ever going to happen.
Unless people have their own school, and then people in general wonder why others should pay for that, since it does not benefit society in general. If you want to be apart from society then society should not pay for your excess.
Whether you are a fundie-christian or a soccer-vandal.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>(shakes head) I have for over a 100,000 post thread. Where have you been for the last 3 years?
Yes, you must be so proud - and one can only guess how many times have you been asked to stop wasting everyone's time with faith-based prattle.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Hard to refute the truth, to bad you can't. It was a wonderful example and made my point perfectly.
How can we trust anything an admitted liar says? You admitted you were dishonestly misrepresenting a quote as though it were someone else's words, and you want us to pretend you're honest and that anything you say is in any way related to the truth? You've dug a huge hole of distrust. There is no reason for anybody anywhere to trust you with anything. I wouldn't trust you saying you're conscious.

Level 5

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oddly, polls have shown the opposite. But knowledge of the Bible is neither here nor there, since you have accepted the onus of providing ADDITIONAL FACTS of evolution (not scripture) for "the Darwin crowd.".
You are correct...unless it is relevant.
15 cubits is not a mile...or :'what were the words in the original text.'
But the tendency is there to divert to a down and dirty mudfight.
But marky will never admit defeat, even though hundred theologians proof him wrong, so i'm just not going there.

Frankly the discussion should be about the diversity in the Burghess-shale and the China/Vietnam one.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>That is all just BS word games. A platypus has 4 legs, 2 eyes....etc. But we are totally different. Why can't you just face it...EVOLUTION JUST DOESN'T WORK!!! Look at the origin of life. TO have life all the amino acids have to be left handed, and chemistry says their is no reaction to cause only left handed amino acids to congregate. That in a pre-biotic soup, the mixure of left and right handed amino acids could never randomly accumulate so only the left handed ones could bond to form proteins. The DNA has to form in such a way as to supply information. How does random chemical processes do this with out intelligence? And if the "magic" of evolution is found to be impossible to cause the origin of life, how in the heck to do think it would work biologically? It has never been observed, we can't force it to happen by experiment, the science of life's origin is against you and shows that an intelligent designer is not only needed, but demanded........etc. Your philosophy is based on an unseen fantasy that you can only accept in faith, and yet not honest enough to even admit that!!!
No, we are very similar to a platypus in numerous ways. After all, we share a common ancestor around 180 million years ago.

Once again, after the platypus comment you are merely trying to conflate abiogenesis with evolution, which is irrelevant. In any case your argument consists of nothing more than "we do not understand X, therefore GOD!" which has been the hollow battle cry of retreating creationists since Galileo.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>I ALWAYS give ration replies, often with 2 or 3 points to confirm it. My political comparison was perfect for the point I was making. And if anyone draws on politics for their servival, it's Darwinists. "Oh please MR ACLU lawyer, please make a church/state issue out of this case because we don't have the science to win without it!!!"
No, many of your "catch pharases" are easily refuted, but like a politician, you think that repeating the mantra anyway will somehow make it stick.

Examples:

"A fossil cannot tell you its ancestry, only that something once lived and died"

- but a succession of fossils consistent with an evolutionary pathway can tell us a LOT more than each individual fossil can.

"You have never directly observed macroevolution"

- but we have observed the evidence that macroevolution would leave behind if it were true, and not observed evidence that would falsify it. Just like any other valid scientific theory.

I won't go any further. Just pointing out that you never answer the refutation of your talking points (because you cannot?). So you just repeat the talking points as if nobody had said anything.

Level 5

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Left-handedness is due to the influence of UV light. One of the most basic reactions.
Before the first mars-mission i wrote on another forum that this would form a means to look for life.
Someone must have a paper still.

Marky why do you not read up and then come with some informed comment.
My mind does not work like this death-mars you keep on playing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't go any further. Just pointing out that you never answer the refutation of your talking points (because you cannot?). So you just repeat the talking points as if nobody had said anything.

I think he would answer if he could. He has not, ergo, he cannot.

Level 5

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Ah Dogen,
About prayer before a test.
A lot of schools would do relaxation exercises, or give some classes to teach them for use when needed.
Always a couple of minutes where pupils can do what they need to get focus and in the zone.

Whatever helps.

This i found very interesting. It was a short article, or a passage in a book. A lecturer related his experiences and research.
It seems if you repeat :'Me and mom are one.'
The results become better. Even if you had a bad relation with your mother.
And it works better than stating : "Me and the professor are one."
As to what give people the initial capacity to bond.
Coming thus from the safety of the symbiosis in the early years.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
You can believe what you want, but if you call it science, it has to be observable, testable, and replicatable. In history, there is no such thing as historical certainy. THe best you can do is observe all the logical and available evidence and have a psychological reaction in your mind.
What does that say about stories about talking snakes and talking donkeys?

Level 5

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

marksman11 wrote:
Saying that scientists corrected hoaxes is the same as saying politicians fixed the economy. THey were the ones that wrecked it to start with.
You're blaming the scientists for planting the Piltdown Man?
We don't even know who did it.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>

Jesus (nametitle) as yhwh is not the normal vigorating idea among believers.
Psalm 82 is usally invoked to mitigate the later confusion, since none could actualy work out how the writers of early theology like John had reasoned.(After also getting rid of 15th century insertions of jesus being god.)
Believe what you want. I my church, Jesus and GOD are the same person. It is just basic christianity.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oddly, polls have shown the opposite.
I'm not talking about people in polls. I'm talking about people in this forum.
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>But knowledge of the Bible is neither here nor there, since you have accepted the onus of providing ADDITIONAL FACTS of evolution (not scripture) for "the Darwin crowd.".
What I provide is the continual proof that evolutionists left the authority of the scientific method years ago. Their science has become a fairy tale of just anything you can dream up.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're blaming the scientists for planting the Piltdown Man?
We don't even know who did it.
I don't care who did it. It took 42 years for scientists to finally admit it was a hoax. Sure there are some honest ones who wheren't buying it from the start, but then there are those that would buy anything to fill the void of evidence they were suffering.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't want seperation! But you do need it.
I don't need it, you were the one that brought it up.
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not see how at east paying for a clean environment and raods to get people to your church, should only be payed by everybody else.
You act as if church members don't pay taxes at all. Church members pay federal taxes, state taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, gas taxes, road tolls, liesence renewal, inheritence taxes, captial gains taxes,.......and on and on and on, plus they tithe to the church, so don't give me that BS.
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
But in your argument you set yourself apart, so again your argument is about your selfish wants, and not what kids should actually have knowledge of.
Set myself apart? What are you talking about?
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
All church/state seperated states have kids that learn their religion at home or a bibleclass.
Call it extra-ccurricular activity.
And in schools they would learn about religion, theology and in general how people deal with society and from what points of view and how that effects the total picture.
Simplistic bible-thumping is frankly never ever going to happen.
Unless people have their own school, and then people in general wonder why others should pay for that, since it does not benefit society in general. If you want to be apart from society then society should not pay for your excess.
Whether you are a fundie-christian or a soccer-vandal.
That doesn't even make sense. You act as if private christian schools are funded by tax payers dollars. THey are not. THey are funded by the parents who want to keep them away from psuedo science that is taught in the public schools. Evolution is one of the biggest supporters of private christian schools. Parents don't want that garbage taught to their kids, and those that can afford it, see that it isn't. Eugeneie Scott is battling an OPPSIEs (or something like that) program that allows parents the ability to Op-out their kids from evolution is the public schools. Isn't it strange how she would rather battle the parents over the science teaching of their own kids, than allow them the freedom to choose?
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you must be so proud - and one can only guess how many times have you been asked to stop wasting everyone's time with faith-based prattle.
You keep replying....?????

Level 5

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Marksman, name one scientist who fully accepted the Piltdown Man, just one.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we are very similar to a platypus in numerous ways. After all, we share a common ancestor around 180 million years ago.
I bet you can't present observable evidence to prove that!!! I challenge you to support that BS with an observable fact.
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, after the platypus comment you are merely trying to conflate abiogenesis with evolution, which is irrelevant. In any case your argument consists of nothing more than "we do not understand X, therefore GOD!" which has been the hollow battle cry of retreating creationists since Galileo.
Evolution is evolution right? I mean Macro has to be true because micro is true....right? Well, chemical evolution has failed terribly as having the ability of even getting close to causing the origin of life. So if micro evolution didn't exist, then Macro evolution wouldn't exist.....RIGHT?? So chemical evolution fails, and you know it, and biological evolution fails too, only you try to disguise the obvious by claiming they are two seperate, non-dependant things. They are not.
You want to belittel Intelligent design? then simply present a naturalistic observation to the origin of life!!! It is obvious it takes an intelligence to concieve and produce DNA, RNA, the all left handed amino Acids, the cell membrane, and the information that the DNA contains......etc. ID explains it perfectly. Chemical evolution fails at every test. Chemical evolution fails COMPLETELY!!! GOD of the gaps? Heck, there ain't even any gaps in chemical evolution. THere is no evidence to leave gaps in!!!!!!
marksman11

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, many of your "catch pharases" are easily refuted, but like a politician, you think that repeating the mantra anyway will somehow make it stick.
Examples:
"A fossil cannot tell you its ancestry, only that something once lived and died"
- but a succession of fossils consistent with an evolutionary pathway can tell us a LOT more than each individual fossil can.
OK,.....one question, Read my statement again above. Is it not true? Even evolutionists in this group agree with it. Your "succession of fossils" I have said many times, is mere interpretation. I gave the example of Paul Wright. Piltdown was interpreted as an intermediate, and look how that turned out. Nabraska Man was interpreted as an intermediate....all interpreted from a pigs tooth!!! So scientists can make all these claims, but it is all interpretation, and often proven wrong.
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"You have never directly observed macroevolution"

- but we have observed the evidence that macroevolution would leave behind if it were true, and not observed evidence that would falsify it.
Don't worry about falsifying it until you have observable evidence that it is true. I even quote you, "if it were true". I can't falsify that subteranian cyborgs live underground on Mars. I have no need to falsify fantasies. When observable evidence is presented, then we'll work on falsifying it.
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>I won't go any further. Just pointing out that you never answer the refutation of your talking points (because you cannot?). So you just repeat the talking points as if nobody had said anything.
I just proved you wrong in the same post. I addressed both points and you know you've seen me say the same things before. You don't have to agree with me, but you are forced to admit that I address your claims each time!! Do I not?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 107,961 - 107,980 of127,016
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Tinka 105,920
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 7 min One way or another 168,506
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 51 min Dogen 13,473
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Wed MikeF 1,236
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) Tue ChristineM 13,936
Science News (Sep '13) Tue nanoanomaly 2,670
Kevin Wingate: ID should be included in science... Tue MikeF 4
•••
•••
•••
•••