It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 151419 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105526 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think there's a chance Earth may be cubic in shape then there's nothing further to be gained from interaction with you.
You just proved his point.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105527 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You have evidence for God?? May we see it??
Job 26:7
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#105528 Dec 30, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
if pigs could fly
http://www.theblogmocracy.com/ wp-content/uploads/flying_pig. jpg
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105529 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholics came up with that little lie. They're pretty good at reading crap into scripture.
Why allow and even promulgate Catholic miscues which taint the Bible's record/image?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105530 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Just another assertion. He asked for evidence.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105531 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, say I'm a JW and I happen to believe (know) that the Noachian flood never happened. When I'm studying with other members I mention this and get into a discussion about the subject and really defend my position...how long do you think it would take for an Elder to corner me? Now I believe this very strongly and I know that my position is right so I tell this to the Elder...what happens? Same goes for Adam and Eve and other things I have mentioned before. How long before I'm disfellowshipped?
Regarding inheriting the earth and having ALL the answers, I know this to be true...at least in 3 halls I am familiar with.
The 144,000 go to heaven as administrators and the earth will be populated by primarily Witnesses.
I have argued all of these to Witnesses and they just don't listen because they 'know they are right' no questions allowed.
By the way I am not a disfellowshipped Witness.
One can be disfellowshipped for willfully spreading false information or acting in opposition to Biblical direction.

You're entitled to your perception, but you didn't give confirming data. I did.
Eventually, all on Earth will be Jehovah's Witnesses (Rev. 20).

Questions are always allowed and direction to find answers given.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#105532 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
That didn't play well before...it won't now either.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#105533 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why allow and even promulgate Catholic miscues which taint the Bible's record/image?
Also the Catholics, a few years back, decided that Mary's mother conceived Mary immaculately.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#105534 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
One can be disfellowshipped for willfully spreading false information or acting in opposition to Biblical direction.
You're entitled to your perception, but you didn't give confirming data. I did.
Eventually, all on Earth will be Jehovah's Witnesses (Rev. 20).
Questions are always allowed and direction to find answers given.
So I was right.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#105535 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
So I was right.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105536 Dec 30, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The list is entirely yours to provide. YOU are the one making the assertion that tens of thousands of challenges to the Bible have been proven false - you are the AUTHOR of that claim, surely you have the infortmation at your fingertips?
And again and still, I DIRECTLY invite you to provide that information you claim the "Darwin crowd" lacks.
Mutation rates hinge greatly on environmental factors. Take for example the increased lung capacity of highland humans, such as in Peru, New Guinea, the Great Rift Valley. Some researchers suspect that adaptation occurs in bursts, while others hold that it is a slower, more steady process.
In either case, can evolution account for the planet's diversification of life in a mere 4500 (flood) to 6000 (Eden) years? Nope. Does that by necessity indicate divine manipulation? Nope. Is a few billion years enough time to develop the biosphere to its current complexity? Yup.
I have not stated that tens of thousands of challenges to the Bible have been proven false. The list is back in your court since your side HAS stated that there are tens of thousands of errors in the Bible. It's time to prove one.

The rest of your post is a nice summary, albeit dataless, therefore worthless. One thing for you to consider tho is how much variety was already encoded in the genes of the flood survivors. Anticipating that you will state "not enough", please provide confirming data for that, or you could respond "I don't know", and I will then be encouraged to join the hunt for the correct data based answer.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#105537 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholics threw out a challenge to the JW's awhile back. Pope Benedict said that the Catholic Church was the only TRUE church and followers of any other church would go to hell.

I believe the JW's promulgate among their members that only they are the true church.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105538 Dec 30, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Confirming "data" such as? What proof do you have that Mary was a virgin? Is there some odd long forgotten Jewish tradition that prevented Joseph and Mary from consummating their marriage on their wedding night? Is there any written record of Joseph, Mary or Jesus contemporary to Jesus' lifetime? Some graffiti on a wall, a Roman census, tax record or pertinent commentary about the tumultuous happenings of the day? Do you somehow believe that a guy who walked on water and fed 5,000 people with a few fish and pieces of bread would not have been a remarkably NOTEWORTHY celebrity until 4 -10 decades later?
Do you actually have any "data" outside of what was written by the followers of Jesus in the decades after the crucifixion? On ANYTHING? Anything at all?
What makes you think Joseph and Mary didn't consummate their marriage on their wedding night?
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105539 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Usallyunique, thanks for the reply.
I think I worded that 'not a disfellowshipped witness' wrong. I am not a witness, now or ever, would be better statement.
Like most things I encounter in life...I try to understand and learn about it/them. Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door I invite them in for a little chat..:-)
I have found that for the most part the JW's stick to their own when they make friends, but occasionally they will befriend someone out of the circle. I am one of those people, and I have several Witnesses for friends and I get lots of information about the organization from them...not to use against them, but to understand them better.
I too have found that the Witnesses don't much like to talk about the past of the Organization, as they have had a few missteps that they would just as soon forget. The 'end of the world as we know it' in 1918 and 1976 comes to mind.
In the 1976 one, everyone was totally sure it was going to happen and the Watchtower egged them on. Witnesses were not paying their mortgages or rents, running up humongous credit and credit card bills, saying goodbye to their non-witness friends and family, abandoning everything...just all kinds of stupid things.
The deadline came and went...
The JW's lost about half of their membership...devastating for a relatively small organization.
Just to emphasize your datatless error ridden ways, there was no 1976 one, and for the one that was, everyone was not totally sure it was going to happen. I specifically spent my time drawing attention to the fact that the Watchtower had not stated the end would occur then. It was put in the "good chance" realm. Those who did not go beyond what was written (1 Corinthians 4:6) did not "cash out".

Level 2

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#105540 Dec 30, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not stated that tens of thousands of challenges to the Bible have been proven false. The list is back in your court since your side HAS stated that there are tens of thousands of errors in the Bible. It's time to prove one.
The rest of your post is a nice summary, albeit dataless, therefore worthless. One thing for you to consider tho is how much variety was already encoded in the genes of the flood survivors. Anticipating that you will state "not enough", please provide confirming data for that, or you could respond "I don't know", and I will then be encouraged to join the hunt for the correct data based answer.
Genesis 1:24 God creates behemah or domestic animals, which would makes sense to an israelite in the time period, as domestic animals would have seemed so different that they would have thought they were separate species. We now know due to DNA that no domestic animal is actually a distinct species, they are descended from wild animals, yet this process occurred thousands of years before the time of moses.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105541 Dec 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... where is it?
When I sense you have a modicum of logical reasoning ability, I will provide you an answer. To do so now would be a great disservice to all who deserve better than an unnecessarily cluttered consideration of the data.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105542 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
That didn't play well before...it won't now either.
You're entitled to your opinion.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105543 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
So I was right.
No you were wrong. You originally stated one would be disfellowshipped if he did not agree with a WT teaching.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#105544 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
So I was right.
Right about what regarding Mary, virginity, and Catholics?

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#105545 Dec 30, 2012
Usuallyunique wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 1:24 God creates behemah or domestic animals, which would makes sense to an israelite in the time period, as domestic animals would have seemed so different that they would have thought they were separate species. We now know due to DNA that no domestic animal is actually a distinct species, they are descended from wild animals, yet this process occurred thousands of years before the time of moses.
Gee...and we have proof that animals were domesticated at different times and different places and long before 6,000 years ago.

Who should I believe???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min Aura Mytha 201,751
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 min DanFromSmithville 16,395
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Regolith Based Li... 40,835
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 10 min DanFromSmithville 294
Sun could not have formed as thought 2 hr Creationtruth 1
The conscious God or the inanimate nature 3 hr THE LONE WORKER 68
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... 7 hr MIDutch 24
More from around the web