It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 164345 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Level 2

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#103761 Dec 6, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a question for you KAB, if you use Pi rounded to one digit, what can you successfully build using that number?
This is just a warm-up. If you get it right I have a more difficult one for you.
faith in a christian god

it would be too inaccurate for any other use

Since: Sep 12

United States

#103762 Dec 6, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>The Sinai desert has been thoroughly scoured by hundreds of archaeologists for over a hundred years and NOT ONE BIT of evidence has been found...look it up. The consensus of opinion in the sciences related somehow to the story, is that is NEVER happened.

Hell, Moses (1400's(?) BC) probably never existed. It's been pretty much proven that the Pentateuch was not written by one person and that it was probably written around the Jewish exile in Babylon (600-500+- BC)

Face it guy, the Biblical stories ARE being PROVEN wrong.
Even if all of the stories of the bible are just stories to be used as lessons does it make the faith people have in them wrong if it helps them lead better lives? If a parable makes a thief a racist a murder change and be a better person why is that bad?

United States

#103763 Dec 6, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>The Sinai desert has been thoroughly scoured by hundreds of archaeologists for over a hundred years and NOT ONE BIT of evidence has been found...look it up. The consensus of opinion in the sciences related somehow to the story, is that is NEVER happened.

Hell, Moses (1400's(?) BC) probably never existed. It's been pretty much proven that the Pentateuch was not written by one person and that it was probably written around the Jewish exile in Babylon (600-500+- BC)

Face it guy, the Biblical stories ARE being PROVEN wrong.
Also have you ever been to that place I can't imagine a worse place to dig save the ocean floor.

Level 2

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#103764 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if all of the stories of the bible are just stories to be used as lessons does it make the faith people have in them wrong if it helps them lead better lives? If a parable makes a thief a racist a murder change and be a better person why is that bad?
christianity is a failed moral system

United States

#103765 Dec 6, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Hallo! My name is Inigo Montoya..."
Did I kill your father?

United States

#103766 Dec 6, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>christianity is a failed moral system
Maybe for some study faith a bit more it isn't something you can write off in a absolute statement. I can tell you 5 or 6 years ago I would have said faith has no place it has helped me.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#103767 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I kill your father?
Hope not -'cos if you did, you're not gonna like this next bit at all.

Laffin.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#103768 Dec 7, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it you guys are atheist and I'm not trying to convert anyone here. All I am saying is that 3 of the worlds largest and most popular religions see Abraham as the father of the religion I would say supernatural or not finding out more about him where he lived how he lived might be important. Did Abraham "invent" God and pass the story down as a bed time story for his son? Was God and alien visitor who watched over him? Who ever he was he is the only man in the bible God called friend. The big religion race started there.

God (El) existed before Abraham. It is Sumerian in origin, at the latest.

It would appear that the Hebrews got their god from the Sumerians and their monotheism from the Egyptians.

I always recommend 'A History of God' by Karen Armstrong.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#103769 Dec 7, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Hallo! My name is Inigo Montoya..."

Inconceivable!
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#103770 Dec 7, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really blind to the FACT that fictional stories hold elements of fact.
What many people dont understand is that the field of knowledge comprises relevant information and irrelevant information.

Science as these people would have us see it really amounts to nothing but "NEGLECT WHAT YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN".

What these twerps are reluctant to admit is that anything outside of their interests is deemed irrelevant and therefore is not seen as worthy of contemplating or examining.

All they are doing is practising a sophisticated form of negligence.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#103771 Dec 7, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Three of the largest? I would grant you two.
And if a religion started in an area and split you would expect to see certain similarities between them.
It's 3. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. The Muslums come from THe son of Hagar which was Sarah's handmaiden and Abraham had sex with her. Ishmael is the partriarch of the Arabs/Palestinians. Issac the Jews, and Christianity is a sister religion to Judaism.
Madam Goddess

Hendersonville, NC

#103772 Dec 7, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
What many people dont understand is that the field of knowledge comprises relevant information and irrelevant information.
Science as these people would have us see it really amounts to nothing but "NEGLECT WHAT YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN".
What these twerps are reluctant to admit is that anything outside of their interests is deemed irrelevant and therefore is not seen as worthy of contemplating or examining.
All they are doing is practising a sophisticated form of negligence.
There is no god a man because all men is ungodly, angry, nasty mean tempered creatures of the dark night of the soul.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#103773 Dec 7, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
christianity is a failed moral system
How can it fail as a moral system when it never was a moral system in the first place? Being a Christian is about a relationship with a person in which right ot wrong has nothing to do with it.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#103774 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What history that was accurately portrayed in that book? Note the word accurately in there. But that's not even the important part, supernatural claims require supernatural evidence, so, even if all the book is good for is history, that doesn't support it's claims about the supernatural, of which there is zero evidence for. So you are back to being delusional because you are believing, and asserting, something to be real that you have no evidence to suggest it is.
Another irrational atheist wanting scientific evidence for the supernatural when anyone with an tiny bit of scientific knowledge knows that science is unqualified to deal with the supernatural. Science doesn't say supernatural things can't exist because it is mute to understanding it. Your statement is about as irrational as asking for historical evidence of the future.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#103775 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Jewish people were never in Egypt,
You need to do a study on The Hyksos, or shepard kings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos

"Modern scholarship usually assumes that the Hyksos were likely Semites who came from the Levant. Kamose, the last king of the Theban 17th Dynasty, refers to Apophis as a "Chieftain of Retjenu (i.e., Canaan)" in a stela that implies a Semitic Canaanite background for this Hyksos king: this is the strongest evidence for a Canaanite background for the Hyksos. Khyan's name "has generally been interpreted as Amorite "Hayanu" (reading h-ya-a-n) which the Egyptian form represents perfectly, and this is in all likelihood the correct interpretation."

Just because you are too biased to study and seek the truth doesn't mean it isn't out there.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#103776 Dec 7, 2012
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Natural selection is life. What survives and breeds passes on it's genes. What doesn't doesn't.
All the young of a species are slightly different (That's random).
Most die (Watch any nature film).
Some are going to be better at surviving in their particular environment than others. They're the ones most likely to survive and so pass on their genes. This results in a species becoming more adapted to that environment.
In a different environment different young might survive and passing on different genes changing the species as it adapts to different conditions.
There are a vast number of different strategies for survival. Some survive by being bigger or faster. Other's by being smaller and quieter. Worms and slugs thrive by living out of sight or being distasteful to eat. All that matters is that some survive and breed.
No one disputes that things change. What you are failing to prove is that they can change "into something else", other than what they origianlly were, no matter how much time is involved.
Tyler in _______

United States

#103777 Dec 7, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem's not the people who understand the Bible is a collection of parables. The problem is the people that take it all literally and defend that flawed point of view to the death. See: Urban "genocide is okay!" Cowboy, and Evil-Lotion "gays are evil!" Rubbish.
marksman11

Asheville, NC

#103778 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
KAB, here's a math quiz, pi is a complete circle, so how many degrees are lost when you drop all the significant digits and keep only the one?
I'll answer that for you, since everyone has a calculator:
8.11 degrees, approximately, even that's not precise. That means a circle in the bible is equal to 343.78 .... not a very round circle, and it certainly would not work in architecture or any form of engineering for that matter, if you presented that as your circle to the pharaohs even they'd banish you from working on pyramids, and those were not much more precise in their measurements. But even they knew what 360 degrees was, your "all knowing" deity either wanted the believers to kill themselves, or he simply isn't real.
The bible never mentions pi.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#103779 Dec 7, 2012
First you say:
Bat Foy wrote:
Islam was the brainchild of one man who came much later.
Yes. Muhammad.

Then:
Bat Foy wrote:
The faith of Islam and Jew splits at Abraham...
Please explain how those two statements agree with one another.
LowellGuy

Salem, MA

#103780 Dec 7, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's. Problematic if people are good for bad reasons. When/if they discover the lie that underpins their beliefs, it causes emotional and ethical conundrums. And, people who are good for bad reasons can easily be made to do bad things for bad reasons. Would you rather live with a comfortable lie or an uncomfortable truth? If you don't care about whether the things you believe are true or not, then "faith" is all you need. Me? I care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Science 82,045
Why does Tennessee smell like Asphalt? Sun Djdjrjrjerj 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Sun Science 2,206
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sat Science 33,086
Did humans come from Sturgeons? Oct 16 Science 1
Proof humans come from Tennessee Oct 16 Science 1
Science News (Sep '13) Oct 14 Science 4,005
More from around the web