It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 141315 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103151 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect nothing.
Thats because you are hopeless.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103152 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the homework I gave you.
Do you own work!
Get thee hence! You are offensive unto I.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#103153 Nov 24, 2012
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish wrote:
<quoted text>
Massive fail?
You need to realize that none of this matters eventually... evolution or no evolution.
Knowledge may give us an edge but it can only save us for so long.
My "interrogation" of you is actually beneficial for you. It gives you a chance to at least reaffirm/confirm what you already know and it helps you to consider things that those before you did not consider.
But honestly, I still dont think this evolution of yours is really what is happening; though not even the blind man deny that there is something going on in this world.
Its not that evolution theory is utter rubbish, but it simply fails to give me the answers that I want. The knowledge of evolution is inadequate for me in that I cannot be satisfied to know that "thats just the way it is".
As long as things are caused to become; I will search endlessly for the root cause, the cause of the cause and even the cause of the cause of the cause.
Perhaps its not really knowledge I am looking for, but at there is a chance that the infiniteness of knowledge may satisfy my soul... eventually.

If only there was a way of learning about evolution and provided details. If only we had experts putting their knowledge into some sort of medium that was available to people. We could call such things...."books" or "journals" or on an electronic network people could access with computers.

Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103154 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
If only there was a way of learning about evolution and provided details. If only we had experts putting their knowledge into some sort of medium that was available to people. We could call such things...."books" or "journals" or on an electronic network people could access with computers.
To soak up what you see and hear like a sponge then regurgitate it, is not education; it is indoctrination and brainwashing. That leads to nothing except "do as you are told": literally a monkey see monkey do effect results. But seeing that YOUR predecessors are monkeys; I can see why you wont have a problem with that.

Learning involves critical thinking. It involves scepticism, questioning, arguing and even vicious doubting more often than not.

Get thee hence! You are offensive unto I!
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103155 Nov 24, 2012
People, you know waht I hate? BIAS. Me and scientific method should probably get married.

Isnt it proper to question any claim no matter how well established and proven it is?

Will the value of a claim be reduced if it is questioned?

Will a claim be less true it is questioned?

Why are the claims of creationists any more worthy of questioning that the claims of evolutionists?

Arent they both manufactured by men?

Sure one might say "all the evidence points to this/that"; but evidence proves nothing... what is it that makes us see things the way we see things?

The motives for searching are established within man's mind/heart; we are driven to search and know by our inner desires and sense of emptiness.

We may use methods to remove the biases from our practices, but methods dont control our motives for learning... EVEN OUR MOTIVES FOR LEARNING MUST BE BROUGHT INTO QUESTION.

A ball is black when it is not white nor any other colour; but what is it that makes us focus on the presented blackness, instead of the absented whiteness? Why does a man prefer to focus on one side of reality instead of the other? Why choose the positive over the negative or the negative over the positive, or why not choose them both; when reality is comprised of both?
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103156 Nov 24, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution being "successful" is meaningless.
Tell me about it:

&fe ature=related
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103157 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, with your logic neither is necessary and your god is still unnecessary.
A little history lesson for you... it gets serious after 4:00 minutes:

&fe ature=related
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103158 Nov 24, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
After that massive fail of yours all you can come up with is this nonsense?
Apologize for your idiocy and then we can maybe start to address some of your non-issues.
"Information can only come from an intelligent source, since it requires not only bits of data, but also the ability to decode and understand that data. Without both the data and the understanding, information is useless. Thus, living systems could not have arisen through genetic mistakes and must have been created to function as complete systems".

[
&f eature=related]
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#103159 Nov 24, 2012
People, you know waht I hate? BIAS. Me and scientific method should probably get married.
Isnt it proper to question any claim no matter how well established and proven it is?
Will the value of a claim be reduced if it is questioned?
Will a claim be less true it is questioned?
Why are the claims of creationists any more worthy of questioning that the claims of evolutionists?
Arent they both manufactured by men?
Sure one might say "all the evidence points to this/that"; but evidence proves nothing... what is it that makes us see things the way we see things?
The motives for searching are established within man's mind/heart; we are driven to search and know by our inner desires and sense of emptiness.
We may use methods to remove the biases from our practices, but methods dont control our motives for learning... EVEN OUR MOTIVES FOR LEARNING MUST BE BROUGHT INTO QUESTION.
A ball is black when it is not white nor any other colour; but what is it that makes us focus on the presented blackness, instead of the absented whiteness? Why does a man prefer to focus on one side of reality instead of the other? Why choose the positive over the negative or the negative over the positive, or why not choose them both; when reality is comprised of both?
Not gonna bother learning anything, eh? Good for you.
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#103160 Nov 24, 2012
People, what is information?
What limits information?
How is information identified?
How is information related to instruction?
Doesnt the ability of any entity whether chemical, atom or computer chip, to hold a structure or sequence which can be translated into other material forms, demonstrate the storage of information/instruction?
How lucky for you that stupid isn't painful.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103161 Nov 24, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not gonna bother learning anything, eh? Good for you.
I am learning; I'm just not gullible.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103162 Nov 24, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are lucky that gullible isnt always lethal... but then again; $hit happens.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103163 Nov 24, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Piltdown Man? How low will evotards sink?

&fe ature=relmfu
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#103164 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
If the people that invent it dont know about it; how are you qualified to assert anything?

&fe ature=related

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#103165 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
I apologize Igor Trip, I should have reread what you posted.
Igor's one of the Good Guys.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#103166 Nov 24, 2012
I think this "Evil-lotion is Rub-ish" may be a poster that was on here last year before they were banned. The registered name had something about Evil in it. After reading through some of the posts, the wording, context, use of links to YouTube and arrogant tone seem very familiar. The coming on reasonable and then quickly turning angry also fits the previous posters style.

Anybody remember the character I am talking about. They also posted from an ISP in Jamaica.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#103167 Nov 24, 2012
It was a character by the name "Voice of E Ville and it started posting on this thread at the end of last March before Topix pinched it off and flushed it.

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is the same character being expressed here again.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#103168 Nov 24, 2012
<quoted text>
To soak up what you see and hear like a sponge then regurgitate it, is not education; it is indoctrination and brainwashing. That leads to nothing except "do as you are told": literally a monkey see monkey do effect results. But seeing that YOUR predecessors are monkeys; I can see why you wont have a problem with that.
Learning involves critical thinking. It involves scepticism, questioning, arguing and even vicious doubting more often than not.
Get thee hence! You are offensive unto I!

In simpler terms I crushed you with facts and you have no rational response.

Education is inoculation to indoctrination. Religious fundamentalism is indoctrination.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#103169 Nov 24, 2012
<quoted text>
Your concept of natural selection is rather inadequate. It does not justify life from the in-animate; I mean, how do inanimate things breed, exactly?
Therefore your explanation of Natural selection must include reference to the movement of entities from inanimate states to living states; unless natural selection was never a part of nature before living things existed.
Here's a nice YouTube video showing how life might have begun from simple chemistry.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#103170 Nov 24, 2012

They say opposites attract. But there is no one here who is more biased than yourself. Everyone has bias. Everyone sees bias in other people (regardless if it there or not). It is the ability to see ones own bias that is the beginning of the end of bias.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] Isnt it proper to question any claim no matter how well established and proven it is?

If you have REASON and EVIDENCE to do so. If not it is just your own bias speaking.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] Will the value of a claim be reduced if it is questioned?

In the case of evolution clearly not. No other theory has been questioned as much and it always ends up stronger.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] Will a claim be less true it is questioned?

Again in the case of evolution, no.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] Why are the claims of creationists any more worthy of questioning that the claims of evolutionists?

Because of the above. Questioning is called for IF you have REASON and EVIDENCE to do so.

It does nothing to question if 1+1=2 unless you have evidence to the contrary.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] Arent they both manufactured by men?

But one has evidence the other has not been able to question. To DATE!

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] Sure one might say "all the evidence points to this/that"; but evidence proves nothing.

Perhaps you should take a science class. Again, the evidence supports 1+1=2

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] what is it that makes us see things the way we see things?

Evidence in the case of science. Mythical a priori beliefs in the case of creationists.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] The motives for searching are established within man's mind/heart; we are driven to search and know by our inner desires and sense of emptiness.

To many presuppositions and beliefs in the above. Science is the practice of putting those aside.

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] We may use methods to remove the biases from our practices, but methods dont control our motives for learning... EVEN OUR MOTIVES FOR LEARNING MUST BE BROUGHT INTO QUESTION.

If only we had a way to do this. We could name it the "scientific method" and....

[QUOTE who="Evil-lotion is Rub-ish"] A ball is black when it is not white nor any other colour; but what is it that makes us focus on the presented blackness, instead of the absented whiteness? Why does a man prefer to focus on one side of reality instead of the other? Why choose the positive over the negative or the negative over the positive, or why not choose them both; when reality is comprised of both?

You have descended into amateur philosophical gibber jabber.

Back to the main point (which you brought up). Anyone is free to question science, but MEANINGFUL questioning requires you have REASON and EVIDENCE to do so. Lacking that, as you are, you are just driven by your bias.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How can we prove God exists, or does not? 23 min GTID62 66
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr dirtclod 163,578
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Tue Kathleen 19,031
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) May 18 SoE 178,597
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) May 18 MADRONE 1,870
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) May 15 emrenil 1,243
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) May 15 MikeF 13,700
More from around the web