It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Comments (Page 5,016)

Showing posts 100,301 - 100,320 of127,074
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Evil-lotion is Rub-ish wrote:
<quoted text>
God is True. Christ identifies Himself as truth; and truth appeals to logic and reason more than any other influence. There is a need to come to a rational and logical faith in God regardless of whether we believe in the Bible or not.
I am truth. There, now I am God. See how easy that was? Here's an idea: try basing an argument on something other than complete horseshit.
As an evangelist, I must be prepared to help others see the light by any means; without removing the true value of the message.
Even if you have to lie to get them to see things your way. Yes, we know. We just don't see the value in leading people to "truth" via lies.

You said your God affects the natural world, meaning your God is detectable. Just tell us how to detect your God scientifically. As I had to repeatedly tell KAB...you'd better stop making declarative statements as answers, because the logical consequences of your words will be your undoing. Logic is NOT your friend.
I am willing to give the message from the bible directly as it is in the bible; but not everyone is willing and they often have a good reason. The Bible, especially the old testament is often poorly translated (for example: Reed Sea was interpreted Red Sea), and there are many other inconsistencies. Did God move David to number the children of Israel, or did the Devil move him to number them; or perhaps God moved the devil to move David to number them?
So, there are good reasons for rejecting the Bible? REALLY? So, if it were judgement day, and God was asking an atheist why he rejected the Bible, and he gave one of those "good reasons," God would shrug and let him into Heaven because, hey, can't blame the guy. He's got a good reason!

See what happens when you open your mouth? Stick to mindless platitudes and scripture quotes. The second you veer from that path, you step in crap.
Furthermore, they have a right to question what they are told; and it is by learning the answers to their questions that their faith is increased.
But, learning more about the history of the Bible and how science works tends to DECREASE faith. Funny thing, that, eh? When people just GIVE you answers, it increases faith, because now you don't have to investigate anything. But, when you have to SEARCH for answers, and the Bible isn't your only resource, it decreases faith, because the flaws in the Bible become so onerous there is no way to overcome them without jettisoning critical thinking entirely.

Aten is the one true God. Akhenaten said so. But, you don't believe that, right? Guess why. Quick answer: politics and happenstance. If you can figure out why those two things control the vast majority of religious affiliation, you get a No Prize.
You cant help to induce faith in others by scoffing at their unbelief; but by helping them to see the reason to believe.
You do realize that you're in the camp of Ray "Banana Man" Comfort, right? How is anybody to keep from scoffing? Is one to respect the crocoduck?
Moreover, it would be to the Glory of God if all men would accept Christ even if they never saw a Bible in their entire lives; because like you said: God and Jesus are their own bosses... so They Are what They Are, whether it is written or not.
I suggest you watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
...It was applied to DNA that served no obvious function. Much as the term "UFO" means only that an object in the sky is not identified. And just like UFO's when we look at "junk DNA" closely enough we start to find out what it is and where it comes from. There seem to be two main sources for non-coding DNA that I know of. The first is genes that have been switched off. Sometimes these genes can be switched back on. That is why there is the occasional individual born with a true tail. Another source are ERV's or endogenous retroviruses. ERV's are neat since they are added to an individual very very rarely.
Of course.

I mean evolution removes that which is ineffective or "unwanted" etc, but it just keeps repeating useless DNA structure. The idea of evolution is certainly consistent with what is observed. Brilliant!
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
By looking at the number of differences in ERV's between us and other closely related species we can estimate when they broke off from our line, or our line broke off from theirs.
I can also tell that Mars evolved from Earth too, because some of the elements found on Mars are found in the Earth.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your best post, in my opinion.
What happened to Jesus at his baptism by John?
I find Jesus to be compelling even after stripped from the legend and even status as being equal to God.
Interesting. That is a greater faith than the one held by most; even me.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooooh. Fatal error.
I suggest you try to play it off as a joke.
Please bear with me; I still dont get this evolution stuff.

Nature wanted to move towards the more effective/dominant and we are what it produced?

We are hardly more effective than monkeys in surviving and we compromise the operations of nature more than any other living organism. The single fact that we have been endowed with intelligence makes this even worse.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, if you affect things in the natural world, that is detectable, and that would make you part of the natural world, which means you cannot be supernatural and thus beyond the scope of scientific inquiry. So, now you think your God is not supernatural. Great. Just tell us how to detect your God and we'll be on our way to full-blown global Christianity.
How to detect my God? Lets see:

Calls Himself "I am, I was and I will be": sounds like He is (the) True to me.

"Begets" a "Son" who calls Himself the Truth; sounds like Yishva (He who equalizes) to me.

Somehow it all adds up in my retarded mind:

Only that which is True exists, and the only thing that comes from the True is the Truth.

But if nothing can exist outside of Truth (as Dogen cleverly puts it: "Nothing unreal exists"); the Truth must be superior to all things.

I am essentially worshipping a concept called "TRUTH" as demonstrated by Equality/consistency (Yishva).

I may even be accused of idolatry on a level.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Airplanes are heavier than air, therefore they can't fly unless angels pick them up.
I see nothing wrong with this explanation for heavier-than-air flight. And, what's more, you can't disprove it, so I win. Bible 1 : Bernoulli 0. Suck it, science!
Considering the fact that people back in those days used to think the forces of nature were "spirits"; you would be somewhat correct.

Bible 1: Bernoulli 0. Suck it, science.

LOL

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course.
I mean evolution removes that which is ineffective or "unwanted" etc, but it just keeps repeating useless DNA structure. The idea of evolution is certainly consistent with what is observed. Brilliant!
<quoted text>
Actually, that is consistent with how evolution works.

You other analogy is another fallacy.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>
Nature wanted to move towards the more effective/dominant and we are what it produced?
We are hardly more effective than monkeys in surviving and we compromise the operations of nature more than any other living organism. The single fact that we have been endowed with intelligence makes this even worse.
You are 100% correct in your first statement.

However, you are, as expected, assuming intelligence as the driving force when all that's needed is equilibrium. Chemicals respond to each other, put more in the mix and there will be more interactions, and sometimes those interactions become really complex for short periods of time, we call this life.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>
How to detect my God? Lets see:
Calls Himself "I am, I was and I will be": sounds like He is (the) True to me.
"Begets" a "Son" who calls Himself the Truth; sounds like Yishva (He who equalizes) to me.
Somehow it all adds up in my retarded mind:
Only that which is True exists, and the only thing that comes from the True is the Truth.
But if nothing can exist outside of Truth (as Dogen cleverly puts it: "Nothing unreal exists"); the Truth must be superior to all things.
I am essentially worshipping a concept called "TRUTH" as demonstrated by Equality/consistency (Yishva).
I may even be accused of idolatry on a level.
According to myths written by people who didn't even know what pi was in spite of neighboring, and much older, cultures knowing. you are hedging bets on people less educated than the Mayans.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
... You said your God affects the natural world, meaning your God is detectable. Just tell us how to detect your God scientifically. As I had to repeatedly tell KAB...you'd better stop making declarative statements as answers, because the logical consequences of your words will be your undoing. Logic is NOT your friend.
Logic is nobody's friend Mr. LowellGuy. And neither is science; but somehow you seem to think it is on your side.

I guess thats why you use it to prove what you want to prove; or is it that science cant prove everything.

To think that God an Omnipotent, could be even measurable/testable with material things is like thinking that you can test the the power in a 2000000000 volt power line by holding on to it with your bare hands.

The experience of God (Truth/the True) begins and ends in the mind; because the body has no ability in itself to detect Truth without logical capacity.

Therefore your ability to experience God depends on your ability to think.

And the fact that the Jews are among the wealthiest people in the world, cannot suggest that they lack the capacity to think (you might say this last line doesnt follow, but I know why I include it).
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, there are good reasons for rejecting the Bible? REALLY? So, if it were judgement day, and God was asking an atheist why he rejected the Bible, and he gave one of those "good reasons," God would shrug and let him into Heaven because, hey, can't blame the guy. He's got a good reason!
See what happens when you open your mouth? Stick to mindless platitudes and scripture quotes. The second you veer from that path, you step in crap.
As a matter of fact, God just might let that person into "heaven". Being Atheist does not mean being wicked (or does it?). God doesnt judge (period, and especially not) people based on whether they read the bible or not; that would mean King David and even Jesus are going to "hell".
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, learning more about the history of the Bible and how science works tends to DECREASE faith. Funny thing, that, eh? When people just GIVE you answers, it increases faith, because now you don't have to investigate anything. But, when you have to SEARCH for answers, and the Bible isn't your only resource, it decreases faith, because the flaws in the Bible become so onerous there is no way to overcome them without jettisoning critical thinking entirely.
Explain to me how "learning more about the history of the Bible and how science works tends to DECREASE faith".

Science helps me to see how God does His work; it doesnt make me think any less of Him.

You really need to stick to your test tubes.

You lack the ability to reason. If you could, you would realize that a God who is Omnipotent has the ability to reveal Himself in infinite ways; so the method of revelation largely depends on what the person who seeks Him requires.

And YOU CERTAINLY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GOD. All you know is what you have heard of Him and what other people say of Him.

And until you make a personal attempt to interact with him; you can make NO conclusive statements on Him.

You are really beginning to bore me!
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are 100% correct in your first statement.
However, you are, as expected, assuming intelligence as the driving force when all that's needed is equilibrium. Chemicals respond to each other, put more in the mix and there will be more interactions, and sometimes those interactions become really complex for short periods of time, we call this life.
This response is remarkable!

I like this.

But answer me this question:

If intelligence is not a driving force, what is it that is driving you and all these people who are taking interest in the scientific?

It is certainly not equilibrium, or I think you would be contented to live as apes (I assume you arent).
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
According to myths written by people who didn't even know what pi was in spite of neighboring, and much older, cultures knowing. you are hedging bets on people less educated than the Mayans.
But since the idea that intelligence is a "driving force" is only assumed (by people like me); it shouldnt matter.

It is the "attraction" towards equilibrium that is the driving force: so I am perfectly justified in gravitating to a being who calls himslef "Yishva" (He who makes equal).

But why are you interested in the intelligent and the educated? Remember, intelligence is not the driving force; Equilibium (the influence of Yishva) is the driving force yet you move away from Him.

Is it that you are devolving or just plane full of inequity?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>

Evolution has no direction. Once something is found that works, however, it is likely to continue and even expand.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course.
<quoted text>
I can also tell that Mars evolved from Earth too, because some of the elements found on Mars are found in the Earth.

The palette of elements is rather limited. One would expect that the inner planets started out with essentially a very similar composition.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>
This response is remarkable!
I like this.
But answer me this question:
If intelligence is not a driving force, what is it that is driving you and all these people who are taking interest in the scientific?
It is certainly not equilibrium, or I think you would be contented to live as apes (I assume you arent).

Physics and chemistry are the driving forces. Essential elemental nature.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The palette of elements is rather limited. One would expect that the inner planets started out with essentially a very similar composition.
That was not meant to be taken seriously; I was being sarcastic.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution has no direction. Once something is found that works, however, it is likely to continue and even expand.
But what is it that makes any one thing or a group of things work?

Is it that they must work?

Is it that they cannot not work?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course.
<quoted text>
Evolution takes the path of least resistance. It is easier to "turn off" a gene than to remove it. Body parts take quite a bit of energy to grow and maintain, the genetic code, not so much. So we end up with all sorts of turned off genes.

And I can see by the latter part of your post that you have no idea what an ERV is at all.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution takes the path of least resistance. It is easier to "turn off" a gene than to remove it. Body parts take quite a bit of energy to grow and maintain, the genetic code, not so much. So we end up with all sorts of turned off genes.
And I can see by the latter part of your post that you have no idea what an ERV is at all.
But a turned off genes is hardly any different from a removed one; they are both non contributing factors to the life of the organism (or are they?).

Furthermore, the path of least resistance implies that nothing would have evolved in the first place.

What is least resistant; to evolve and grow or to remain dormant and inanimate?

Some scientists speculate that evolution caused life to emerge from the inanimate; but we can see that inanimate things last longer than animated things in most cases. Therefore natural selection would be more likely to prevent life from ever emerging than to encourage it.

What last longer; a man or an element? Which deteriorates faster? Compare the life cycle of a man to the half life of an atom.

It is better if you stick to just describing what you are taught to describe; because the moment you attempt to rationalize those concepts you are in trouble.
Evil-lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am truth. There, now I am God. See how easy that was? Here's an idea: try basing an argument on something other than complete horseshit...
I am perfectly justified in assuming that Truth is God; Truth is both the greatest personal value and reality that exists.
You keep asking for proof of God or evidence or something to that effect, but:

1. Can you prove to me that radio waves exist?

2. Can you prove that there are sounds below the frequency hear-able by humans?

3. Can you prove that there are light frequencies beyond those observable by humans?

As real as they are, it is impossible for any of those phenomena to be detected and understood without the use of rational and logical capacities; because each of those phenomena exist in a sphere that is undetectable by the senses.

Sure you can say this/that demonstrates radio waves; but as long as I dont see any waves, I can call you a liar all the live long day.
Your only hope of denying that there is God or that the "evidence" for God is unsubstantial, lies in that simple fact: that some things though they exist, are not perceivable by the human senses.

THERE ARE ASPECTS OF REALITY THAT CAN ONLY BE KNOWN/DISCOVERED BY THE APPLICATION OF LOGIC AND REASON.

It is a wicked and perverse generation that seeks a sign (considering the circumstances). The only sign that shall be given this generation is the ability of man to use his mental forces to control his material body, to create from raw atoms, elements and to "harnessing" of natural phenomena.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 100,301 - 100,320 of127,074
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 9 min Chimney1 168,550
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 12 min Dogen 13,485
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 55 min Kong_ 106,031
Kevin Wingate: ID should be included in science... 23 hr llDayo 5
Science News (Sep '13) Thu Ricky F 2,671
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Wed MikeF 1,236
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) Apr 15 ChristineM 13,936
•••
•••