It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 162537 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#99707 Oct 9, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you see Paul invented 'Original Sin' so that Jesus could die on the cross to get rid of our sins which were passed down from Adam and Eve.
Now we know there was never an Adam and Eve first couple, so there couldn't have been that 'Original Sin' thing happening.
Christianity is SO screwed
He did...given multiple authors?
And frankly i avoided that entire discussion in the judaism line, it stank to high heaven.
For some reason it got totally out of hand.
But christian jews or v.v. is abject nonsense, then as well as now.
Otherwise people would not have been able to keep them apart for the first 5 centuries, but they did.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#99708 Oct 9, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, neither do "fundie xristian creationists".
"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... KNOW NOTHING but the word of God."-Martin Luther [emphasis mine]
God was never a scientists?LOLOLOLOL
forreal

Edroy, TX

#99709 Oct 9, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. And if you got your nose out of your bible and learned anything about the subject, you would as well.
why do you hate real people in the bible are you a robot?LOL

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#99710 Oct 9, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>why do you hate real people in the bible are you a robot?LOL
I don't hate them and no.
MIDutch

Sterling Heights, MI

#99711 Oct 9, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>why do you hate real people in the bible are you a robot?LOL
You'll have to show (with actual scientific research and empirical evidence) that the people in the Bible were real first.

Jesus and his apostles ... maybe.

Most everyone before him ... not so much.

BTW you merely saying that they were real, does NOT count as empirical evidence.

Further, vomiting up a few passages out of the Bible does NOT count as scientific research or empirical evidence.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99713 Oct 9, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The originator implies. The receiver infers, which you apparently did, incorrectly I might add. Being good with English, my words were very carefully chosen so as not to be an assertion.

Your words are very carefully choose so as not to say much of anything, but to keep your flood myth as an option no matter what is revealed to you.

[I just called KAB a coward]

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99714 Oct 9, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
What not surprisingly was obviously lost on you is the fact that I did not question the correctness of any of their data.

No you just denied the necessary conclusion of their data. Same basic thing, just using weasel words. Equivocate much?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99715 Oct 9, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Judas was understood he let the devil inside him!Modern scholars are trees without roots!I dont fear science I have alsway said God doesnt need science.

You seem to have a great fear of modern scholars. They are just searching for the historic truth. You can (and will) always deny or ignore what they learn. They live in a different world than you.

Judas was necessary to Jesus. If he was possessed by the devil (a metaphorical expression anyway) then the devil and god must be on the same side. Seen this way Judas was the most loyal disciple and the first martyr of a new faith.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99716 Oct 9, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not a test of a global flood. It was a test of the effects of rising water on a dirt covered surface.

Seems to ignore the entire field of hydrodynamics, but whatever.

You deny reality and substitute your own.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99717 Oct 9, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I'm beginning to think you really were an in-patient and not a medical practitioner if you believe that repeating exactly the same statement makes the information content more understandable.

If the definition of insanity is continually trying to explain reality to the insane then I am certainly insane.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99718 Oct 9, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus said he was the way the truth and life and Paul who was name Saul had a change of heart killing the christian jews.Its time for you to do the same.

It is interesting that Paul did more damage to the message of Jesus as an insider than he could ever do as an outsider. Food for thought.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99719 Oct 9, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>even when you still see more water and rain clouds than land you still deny it?LOL

No global flood data
No global flood

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#99720 Oct 9, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to show (with actual scientific research and empirical evidence) that the people in the Bible were real first.
Jesus and his apostles ... maybe.
Most everyone before him ... not so much.
BTW you merely saying that they were real, does NOT count as empirical evidence.
Further, vomiting up a few passages out of the Bible does NOT count as scientific research or empirical evidence.
Kings etc. corroborated by outside sources, even some egyptian and ugarit sources corroborating yacob and isaac.
Time factors are an issue however, as if several characters, also from three distinct areas (Ugarit/anatolia, Amram and Midianite/Egypt) where formed into one family.(Makes sense with the tribal earth as beholder of all history, hence very long time-lines. isaiah writes about her as a bride and suffering etc.)
But for jesus, the apostles and paul we are in wasteland.
I do not consider church-history, as the continuance of former roman glory, reliable.
I also often wondered that if there was such a person as Paul and a Peter whether they stayed in the capitol of Anatolia also called Rome.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#99721 Oct 9, 2012
Abraham (the Persian variant) also used to be the old name for the silk-route.
MIDutch

Sterling Heights, MI

#99722 Oct 9, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Kings etc. corroborated by outside sources, even some egyptian and ugarit sources corroborating yacob and isaac.
Time factors are an issue however, as if several characters, also from three distinct areas (Ugarit/anatolia, Amram and Midianite/Egypt) where formed into one family.(Makes sense with the tribal earth as beholder of all history, hence very long time-lines. isaiah writes about her as a bride and suffering etc.)
But for jesus, the apostles and paul we are in wasteland.
I do not consider church-history, as the continuance of former roman glory, reliable.
I also often wondered that if there was such a person as Paul and a Peter whether they stayed in the capitol of Anatolia also called Rome.
I am mostly referring to Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Methuselah, Noah, Ham, Sham and Curly, Moses, etc..

The inclusion of actual historical people, locations and events in a work of fiction, as is often the case, does not make the fictional characters, locations and events any more real.

Just because Richard the Lion Hearted was a real historical figure does not make Ivanhoe real.

For some reason, the "fundie xristian creationists" don't seem to understand this.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#99723 Oct 9, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is interesting that Paul did more damage to the message of Jesus as an insider than he could ever do as an outsider. Food for thought.
Propaganda, vilification just as happened when writing about the germans or the brittons, that were eventually annihilated.
Hostile take-over of a religion.
But we had bringing the sword and the opposite message, and already the advise to read the theology of john to understand the meaning of the three gospelers, before being faced with the theology for the entire world (twisting the hebrew book)that Paul introduced.
So the entire idea seems to have been replacement theology with sotoriology of various well known characters merged in the story.
Many influences.
MIDutch

Sterling Heights, MI

#99724 Oct 9, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have a great fear of modern scholars. They are just searching for the historic truth. You can (and will) always deny or ignore what they learn. They live in a different world than you.
Judas was necessary to Jesus. If he was possessed by the devil (a metaphorical expression anyway) then the devil and god must be on the same side. Seen this way Judas was the most loyal disciple and the first martyr of a new faith.
Wonder what "forreal" makes of that Coptic Christian scroll recently discovered that indicates that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene?

It certainly explains why Mary Magdalene took such a prominent, center stage roll at the Crucifiction, even more so than Jesus's mother, the Virgin Mary (something which I, personally, could never understand, but which makes perfect sense in light of this new evidence).

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#99725 Oct 9, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Judas was misunderstood. Jesus could not have accomplished his mission without him.
Modern scholars just want to dig to the bottom of history. They (as a group) have no ax to grind. Just as long as they publish their findings to maintain their standing in the academic community.
I guess I should not be surprised that someone who hates and fears science should also fear other fields of academia.
If sin as in original sin was a concept only evolving from gnostic writing (not jewish i assure you) but rather with dualistic good-evil influences from zoroaster then what was the entire point.

Hundredthousands died on those crosses. Pilate, Herod, Gaius and Titus were rightly hated.
Some say it was just a play, mimicking earlier periods of jewish history to mock them. Written by f.i Josephus.
In some folklore as in Spain and Italy we find as names for the two other criminals (Note, one was acquited, but still three were hung)a variation on Gaius and Titus, and sometimes Titus would instate it as a play. Josephus was the only one who actually pleaded three friends of the cross. Titus said yes, but as i recall two did not survive.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#99726 Oct 9, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to show (with actual scientific research and empirical evidence) that the people in the Bible were real first.
Jesus and his apostles ... maybe.
Most everyone before him ... not so much.
BTW you merely saying that they were real, does NOT count as empirical evidence.
Further, vomiting up a few passages out of the Bible does NOT count as scientific research or empirical evidence.
Luke 3:23-38 are you saying Mary and Joseph arntreal? and Joseph father Heli wasnt real or his father Mattathiah,and his father Amos and his father Nahum, and his father,Esli, and his father,Naggai, and his father Maath,and so on?I dont see not one AnimalApe or Lucy the Ape in that picture?LOLOLOLOLOL

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#99727 Oct 9, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder what "forreal" makes of that Coptic Christian scroll recently discovered that indicates that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene?
It certainly explains why Mary Magdalene took such a prominent, center stage roll at the Crucifiction, even more so than Jesus's mother, the Virgin Mary (something which I, personally, could never understand, but which makes perfect sense in light of this new evidence).
Forreal has the consistency on his side of the zealous.
A bit of a catholic understand dogma and doctrine and could thus entertain a discussion.
I once told about the trouble with the gynus.
Jesus used to call his holy divine mother ( she was also born and conceived unblemished apparently we must presume from a long tradition, so why was she not the messiah. We had queeens before)
which is expained as a hebrew custom of honour and endearment.
Well that might be the case in hebrew but not in greek!
So the fist thing he says to mary magdalene ( The gnostic paper a fifth century broadly circulated writing i understood.) is : "Don't touch me gynai."
And what happended to the third mary? I believe there were even six to choose from and the matter has not been resolved upto this day.
But he lets the followers offer him fish and eats it, assuring him he is but man.
Before levitating or walking of into the distance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Frindly 77,083
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 22 min 15th Dalai Lama 4,327
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 222,036
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr brenda6 899
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr John 32,291
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! 3 hr David Jay 441
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Jul 24 The FACTory 101
More from around the web