It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 154616 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

KAB

United States

#99323 Oct 5, 2012
tangled bank wrote:
<quoted text>
at ~50 ka, and another bottleneck @~20 ka (Bearing strait)
<quoted text>
If the European and Asian populations were descendants of Noah - what happened to the original (ancient) bottleneck genetic signature that should have been found in these populations? Please provided data with your answer.
I don't understand the question.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#99324 Oct 5, 2012
Johny wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you tell me how long Adam and Eve were in the Garden?
Yes, I can. Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden for exactly the same amount of time it took Paul Bunyan to carve the Grand Canyon by dragging his axe behind him.
Johny wrote:
I would say they are confused and have fallen into "scientific" deception if they reject the Biblical account of creation.
Two atoms of hydrogen + one atom of oxygen =

A: One molecule of water + energy
B: Nobody knows, because the Bible doesn't tell us
C: Whatever God wants it to be

Don't you dare answer A, because that doesn't require God, and has been figured out by science.

By the way, why does your Bible story get special consideration? Why no other creation story? There's a word for what you're doing: BIAS. It's exactly what science is designed to eliminate. I can understand why you'd be afraid of science, as it doesn't favor any religion's stories. It merely follows the evidence. But, if you disagree, answer the following:

Flowering/seed-bearing/fruit-b earing land plants appeared:

A: after land animals, just like the empirical evidence demonstrates.
B: before land animals, just like the Bible tells us.

Which matters more? A story in an old book, or the actual evidence? If the evidence contradicts the story, is the story wrong or is the evidence wrong? If it's the evidence that's wrong, then you're denying reality, because evidence IS reality. The universe is not obligated to conform to your particular religious superstitions and beliefs.
Johny wrote:
But would 4 billion years be enough time to allow all life-forms to evolve? How would you calculate this? Does this matter scientifically?
Even if we showed you the evidence, you'd merely deny it because your Bible is more important to you than reality. You've made your choice. Demonstrable reality isn't what you care about; you care most about your religious stories. That's your prerogative, but if you're determined to not be convinced by anything, then you aren't open to your Bible stories being wrong.

Science is predicated on the premise that what we think is right can be wrong, and if demonstrated to be wrong, it must be discarded. Religious belief is predicated on the premise that what you think is right can't be wrong, and if demonstrated to be wrong, it must be defended even more vehemently. Which of these two makes more sense and leads to a greater understanding of the universe? HINT: Religion didn't put people on the moon.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99325 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
How long do you suppose it was until the first rain after the land began to reappear?
Tell you what: go get yourself a few cartons of salt and dump them all over your yard. Water it in. Then, tell us how much rain it takes to bring that land back to fertility.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99326 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand the question.
Are you serious? He's asking where the 4500 years ago bottleneck signature is in the human genome. We find them further back in our genetic history. Why not at 4500 years?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99327 Oct 5, 2012
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it impossible for GOD to tell Moses to write of his own death, and how it would happen?
It nullifies free will and requires you to believe in Calvinistic determinism. Are you a Calvinist?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99328 Oct 5, 2012
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>You're on drugs!
Magnetic ice
1.10 > 1.9
Penguin fins
Gravity-manipulating birds

Who's on drugs?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99329 Oct 5, 2012
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Show me one thing in it that is scientifically disproven.
The sun goes around the Earth.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99330 Oct 5, 2012
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think I'm not? You guys have no control over me. If he can't read between the lines as even you did, then he can go manipulate himself. Doesn't work with me.
Can birds and mountains also manipulate him?
KAB

United States

#99331 Oct 5, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
so god lied again? Even the earth is not permanent. Eventually our sun will expand and it will be vaporized.
Or do you reject ALL of what science says?
I use ALL the data (physical and documentary) in drawing conclusions.
KAB

United States

#99332 Oct 5, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice you ignored my ring species post yesterday. I wonder why that is.
You should have paid more attention when your ideas are being refuted so badly that you cannot even respond to them.
You made no ring species post to me "yesterday".

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99333 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think minuscule word choice weaknesses disprove the global scientific consensus regarding various aspects of geology, chemistry, oceanography, biology, botany, paleontology, genetics, etc.?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99334 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, did you use the data to determine there was a genetic bottleneck in human beings 4500 years ago tracing back to less than a dozen human beings in the Middle East?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99335 Oct 5, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>when are you going to admit I am right about the true ant-christ who will be smart not like Nero! Who will be a religious genius not like Nero, who will attempt to destroy Israek not like Nero, who will set up himself like God not like Nero,Who will make a convant with Israel not like Nero,Who will not regard the god of his fathers not like Nero,who will not have a desire of women not like Nero, who will rule all Nations not like Nero, who will cause all to be marked with 666 or the name of the beast not like Nero. Now eat that for a whole yrs and stop making up stories of Nero!!!

Sorry, you just spout fundy tripe. Most of your ideas about the antichrist are based on non-biblical ideas based on fundies trying to understand Revelation without even knowing what it is about.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopa...

So you are not "right", you are "ignorant".

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#99336 Oct 5, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Good to hear that at lease you didnt say Chimp the ape!LOL
Close enough.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#99337 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't.
I do.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99338 Oct 5, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Modern Scholars?are you comparing fake oranges with the real ones?Many modern scholars are puppets to the great whore.Have you seen how modern scholars are scared to preach the truth?But when it come to fornication they drop their pants.

Modern Scholars are interested in scholarship (adherence to the Scholarly method). As there are scholars of all religious stripes it seems unlikely that are are scared to state what they think is true.

Basically we are talking about people who have more education, more knowledge and probably more intelligence than you and who disagree with you. You don't like them for that.
KAB

United States

#99339 Oct 5, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't see and understand what you say they should necessarily see because the Bible is true. If they are competent, they should see what you say they should see. But they don't, so they aren't. These are the logical consequences of your words. We realize you're not used to thinking about such things, but you should.
It's a plot of data. Its information content is the same for everyone. How individuals use the data is where differences arise. My preference is to not take positions which go beyond what the data shows.
KAB

United States

#99340 Oct 5, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, just like the Twin Towers didn't collapse, they just changed shape.
Do the Twin Towers still exist? Does planet Earth?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99341 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
How long do you suppose it was until the first rain after the land began to reappear?

How many, do you suppose, fweebs does it take to make a fwoop?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99342 Oct 5, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't ignore the statement, rather I saw that it too was only a hope. You "scientific" sticklers have not tended to give much weight to hopes.

Ah, going after the low hanging fruit in the intro and ignoring the uncomfortable main act.

Can you address the CONTENT of TB's post?

Tangled Bank wrote:
"The wet/dry time resolution was sufficient to see that there was no "common wet period" throughout the entire holocene.
http://igg.cas.cn/xwzx/yjcg/201003/W020100310 ...
No global flood data
No global flood"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min scientia potentia... 48,405
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 32 min slurps8414 216,617
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr ChristineM 23,486
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... 3 hr It aint necessari... 638
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 4 hr Aura Mytha 179,708
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 5 hr Timmee 7
Science News (Sep '13) Fri _Susan_ 3,980
More from around the web