It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 157813 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#99162 Oct 4, 2012
Tonya wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I am a very well educated Christian with a scientific mind. I want a Real discussion with both parties being open minded and anyone that has differing opinions to stop being called ignorant. A lot of people called Darwin ignorant in the beginning because his views differed from their own. He did do a lot in the scientific field on adaptation, etc. I want to get information and understanding. One of my problems with the whole theory is in science. Some animals have less than a 2% difference in DNA from our own yet we can Not cross breed. In evolution, two of the species would have to evolve at Exactly the same rate (male and female) with DNA compatibility to be able to mate and continue the species. Different types of birds can mate to make a new species of birds. Plants and flowers can be cross pollinated to make a new species of plant or flower. In the scientific realm of things, we would not be evolved from apes but be apes ourselves. So with millions of years having one small evolutionary change doesn't prove sensible that so many did this at exactly the same time and had the ability to mate because of DNA compatibility then could not mate. I look at science, such as splitting the atom and creating something as powerful and dynamic as an atomic bomb. Something that powerful that we can not see with the naked eye lets me know their are some things a LOT more powerful that we can even fathom or see. Our human bodies are a miraculous gift in how they work down to the smallest enzymes. Studying the body, their was a woman that was on her death bed from one small seemingly insignificant enzyme that malfunctioned and how so many things in our body working together to make each persons individual make up. I don't see as God created good and evil. God created man with freewill and man chooses good and evil. He created life..we choose what to do with it.
Sounds as though your mind is already made up.

God created that one small seemingly insignificant malfunctioning enzyme, did he not?
forreal

Austwell, TX

#99163 Oct 4, 2012
Count the number A=7 B=14 C=21 and so on adding 7 till you reach Z than look up every number by the letters kissinger and it totals to 666. Look up every number that behind FOX and it totals666! That why Fox News is all Nazis!!!LOLOLOLOL

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#99164 Oct 4, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Nero did not do this things! How can Nero insert a chip IN their forehead or In their right hand?LOL Nero and so many other can be anti- christs but only one will have all this features,The real anti-christ needs to be smart, know many languages,political genius,make a 7 yr covenant with Isreal ,He will attempt to destroy all of Israel, He will not regard the god of his fathesr,He will not have the dirsire of women.

LOL.

You have read too many Christian fiction novels. WAY too many!

And you are merging two different stories. The OT story does not talk about the same historic events as the NT story. They use similar imagery, but not the same.

Again, the reference I gave you (especially the first one) clarify all of this and put it in proper biblical/historical context.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99165 Oct 4, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Dont you know what a Passover is?and where it oringinate?LOL

You are not reading.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a point for this? Actually we only know of this being celebrated for about 2,500 (max) years with any certainty.
The Torah, which contains the story of the exodus, was formed in the period of the Babylonian exile (5th century BCE) or shortly after.[3] The traditions behind the exodus narrative are older, and can be traced in the writings of the 8th century prophets.[4] How far beyond that the tradition might stretch cannot be told:
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus" ; ;

these were oral traditions which, by their nature, changed from generation to generation. Have you ever played the game of "Telephone"? Did you see how screwed up a story became in just a few minuets with just 10 or so people?

2 pre-Israelites could have left Egypt in a huff and a thousand years later it became "The Exodus". We don't know what we don't know. Our earliest records are 1,000 years AFTER the alleged "Exodus".

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99166 Oct 4, 2012
forreal wrote:
Count the number A=7 B=14 C=21 and so on adding 7 till you reach Z than look up every number by the letters kissinger and it totals to 666. Look up every number that behind FOX and it totals666! That why Fox News is all Nazis!!!LOLOLOLOL

You really live in your own little world. You are clearly not familiar with how the Hebrews did numerology.

Why don't you check out this stuff before posting?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#99167 Oct 4, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Nero did not do this things! How can Nero insert a chip IN their forehead or In their right hand?LOL Nero and so many other can be anti- christs but only one will have all this features,The real anti-christ needs to be smart, know many languages,political genius,make a 7 yr covenant with Isreal ,He will attempt to destroy all of Israel, He will not regard the god of his fathesr,He will not have the dirsire of women.
Now you're just being strange.

(The Bible talks about chips? Computer, or fish-and-?)
KAB

United States

#99168 Oct 4, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Define "expansion bottleneck." I can find no such term anywhere. I'm sure you think it means something. Do tell.
I do find "bottleneck expansion." Is this what you actually mean? If so, then you continue to make no sense, but at least you're using a real term.
Evidence has been provided (not by me) for a human genetic bottleneck in conjunction with the expansion of the human population across the Bering Strait region, thus giving birth (apparently by me?) to the term "population expansion bottleneck". Ah, the richness and power of the English language. I hope that someday you too will come to appreciate and embrace it. CAUTION: Coining new phrases can be risky business, but someone has to do it.
KAB

United States

#99169 Oct 4, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't identify a kind in reality, your definition is moot.
Like you, I don't have a detailed comprehensive knowledge of the great variety of life on this planet, so I can't state with certainty which are all the members of a particular kind. That is entirely different from knowing what a kind is. That simply involves the knowing the defining criteria which I do. It must be taxing knowing so little and thinking you know so much.
forreal

Austwell, TX

#99170 Oct 4, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not reading.
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a point for this? Actually we only know of this being celebrated for about 2,500 (max) years with any certainty.
The Torah, which contains the story of the exodus, was formed in the period of the Babylonian exile (5th century BCE) or shortly after.[3] The traditions behind the exodus narrative are older, and can be traced in the writings of the 8th century prophets.[4] How far beyond that the tradition might stretch cannot be told:
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus" ; ;
these were oral traditions which, by their nature, changed from generation to generation. Have you ever played the game of "Telephone"? Did you see how screwed up a story became in just a few minuets with just 10 or so people?
2 pre-Israelites could have left Egypt in a huff and a thousand years later it became "The Exodus". We don't know what we don't know. Our earliest records are 1,000 years AFTER the alleged "Exodus".
Keep trying to twist Moses story!LOLYou are a born again rattle snake!LOL
forreal

Austwell, TX

#99171 Oct 4, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Now you're just being strange.
Look the number 666 is not ON its says in!!! Smiple as that IN their forehead or In their right hand!!! Arnt they doing that with some people alreday! the chip?
forreal

Austwell, TX

#99172 Oct 4, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Now you're just being strange.
The beast was given Life! arnt robots turning against the people!LOL just look at Mitt the way he walk flat as a robot?LOLLOLOLOLOL he is all program and brainwash!!!LOLOLOLOL

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#99173 Oct 4, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not saying the Bible's info doesn't affect actions. My point is that human actions harmful to another against his will are not required no matter what the Bible states about him.
Not quite.

The Bible says X. You accept X as true because everything the Bible has said has been true. You act according to the belief that X is true.

I say X. The police accept X as true because everything I have said has been true. They act according to the belief that X is true.

Should you be locked up and forced to prove your innocence, or do you simply not act according to your belief in the validity of the Bible? Which is it? Is your faith irrelevant in your life, or should you be locked up? Your distinction, your problem. Just answer like an honest person would. Should you be locked up, or is the Bible a non-factor in your life?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99174 Oct 4, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence has been provided (not by me) for a human genetic bottleneck in conjunction with the expansion of the human population across the Bering Strait region, thus giving birth (apparently by me?) to the term "population expansion bottleneck". Ah, the richness and power of the English language. I hope that someday you too will come to appreciate and embrace it. CAUTION: Coining new phrases can be risky business, but someone has to do it.
So, you admit that you're just making shit up, and you demand that we find examples of the things you've made up. That certainly seems like what an honest person would do.

Find me a flarfle, or else admit that God doesn't exist.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#99175 Oct 4, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you, I don't have a detailed comprehensive knowledge of the great variety of life on this planet, so I can't state with certainty which are all the members of a particular kind. That is entirely different from knowing what a kind is. That simply involves the knowing the defining criteria which I do. It must be taxing knowing so little and thinking you know so much.
So, a term that is defined but unable to be applied to reality is of what use?

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Jinan, China

#99176 Oct 4, 2012
forreal wrote:
Those who dont believe in the Exodus needs to tell the Jews why they even today still celebrate the PASSOVER!!!They have done this for more than 3,500 yrs, even Mary the mother of Jesus did it also!
What is the major premise of your argment,
that a holiday can only have a factual basis?

In ancient Rome, January 9 a holiday in honor of Janus.
January 11-15 honored the goddess of childbirth.
A day on the middle of each month was set aside to honor Jupiter.

On February 13-21, the Romans honored the dead because, if they didn't, the dead would come back and spook everybody.

In India, Rama's birthday is celebrated in April and Krishna'sbirthday is celebrated in July or August. In September or October, they celebrate the victory of Rama over the demon king Ravana.

If the Exodus was an actual event, then I guess the spirits of the dead came back and haunted all the Romans who neglected to pay enough homage.
And I guess there really was a demon kin named Ravana.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99177 Oct 4, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

That would be some time prior to 14,300 ybp (oldest human artifacts in N. America found so far.).

9,800 years before the (alleged) flood.
KAB

United States

#99178 Oct 4, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't a year-long flood show ANY evidence of its occurrence in the middle of a drought that begins long before such a flood and ends long after such a flood? Why do you think we can find floods as short as a few days but we can't find a year-long flood? Whether or not a drought can occur during a flood is irrelevant. Evidence of that drought would not exist because the water would supplant it. So, why do you think there would be ZERO evidence in a place where it should be most easily discerned? Is the simplest explanation that this flood never occurred?
I agree that drought-during-flood is irrelevant. Care to guess who introduced it?

Given that there is a report that the flood occurred, the simplest explanation for local "no-evidence" is that it's been 4500 years, so the evidence won't be evident everywhere.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99179 Oct 4, 2012
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

That you don't know is an acceptable answer, in my opinion. However, "kind" sounds like a very simple and basic definition and it seems hard to reconcile a ring species (where the ends cannot procreate but some segment of the middle can).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#99180 Oct 4, 2012
forreal wrote:
<quoted text>Keep trying to twist Moses story!LOLYou are a born again rattle snake!LOL

So, you you are saying "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with the historic facts".

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus" ; ; ;
KAB

United States

#99181 Oct 4, 2012
tangled bank wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice that the pollen based moisture index of the Ugii Nuur core in fig. 6 was at its lowest between 3000-6000 ybp?
Did you notice the aridity index in Lake Telman, Mongolia, in fig. 7, was at its highest point between 4100-6000 ybp?
Did you notice the moisture index of the plankton/benthic ratio in fig 7 was at its lowest between 3500-5800 ybp?
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/...
Do you notice how the moisture/aridity indices in this data contradict a 4500 ybp global flood?
I noticed everything except your last point since the resolution of the data doesn't warrant that conclusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 35 min Larry Magne 521
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 42 min Rondo 52,385
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 218,833
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 24,919
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 4 hr scientia potentia... 1,221
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Jan 19 scientia potentia... 98
News Darwin's Doubt: Giving a Case for Intelligent D... Jan 19 scientia potentia... 1
More from around the web