Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#177260 Aug 27, 2014
Just so we know chimney, tell us, how many degrees in science do you have? Can you prove that you have even one degree in science?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#177261 Aug 27, 2014
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
<that looks really complicated so will ignore it and ask an irrelevant question instead of admitting I don't know what I am talking about>
"Can a fish play a flute? If so use science to show such"
Yeah, funny how he says science is a bunch of crap then demands someone use science to prove something.

Note the posting times. Wee hours of the morning on the east coast. I imagine Jimbozo is on the sauce once again. He does this from time to time.
One way or another

United States

#177262 Aug 27, 2014
Chimneys says,Sometimes its fun to answer the irrelevant questions - the ones where Jimbo thinks he has come up with a show stopper.

Are you still having fun chimney? So how many degrees do you have an science Chimney? How can you prove that you have even one degree in science Chimney?

Are you going to show us where science makes the claims that you did chimney? You're a moron chimney, you've got nothing.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#177263 Aug 27, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it should be easy to show us where science makes that Claim.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ears5/handouts/Torn...

The middle part of the calculation shows how to determine the mass of a tornado.

I apologize for the lack of any SpongeBob cartoons to help explain the math for you.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#177264 Aug 27, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fish prefer the dance floor to the bandstand.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#177265 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
What black hole has science used in it's test of its light theory? Science would have to be on both sides of a black hole to see whether light crossed over the black hole or went down into the black hole.
Garbage.

In fact, backholes are detected by the kinds of x-rays emitted by objects falling into them, just before those objects enter the event horizon. You will never see a black hole directly, for obvious reasons. But then again, since you cannot even understand the most basic optics, even discussing this point further would be futile.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#177266 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Chim doesn't have to show US. We already understand it. And it's pointless to show YOU because you can't and you won't understand it.
One way or another

United States

#177267 Aug 27, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ears5/handouts/Torn...
The middle part of the calculation shows how to determine the mass of a tornado.
I apologize for the lack of any SpongeBob cartoons to help explain the math for you.
Since chimney has run away and you other children are trying to take up for his slack, explain the difference in mass, when speaking about the mass of a planet, versus the size of a planet and then the mass of a tornado, versus the size of the tornado.

I doubt you will understand the difference, so I will tell you. The mass of the planet is the physical weight of the planet, versus it's size, now what in a tornado has physical weight, according to science?

Isn't it cute, how the other children try to take up for the ignorance that chimney uses? Chimney cannot produce a PhD in science, much less many PhD's, just like dog boy and countless others, but that doesn't stop them from pretending, just like you kong. How many PHD's do you have kong?
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#177268 Aug 27, 2014
Just so we know chimney, tell us, how many degrees in science do you have? Can you prove that you have even one degree in science?
Just so we know One way or another, tell us, how many degrees in science do you have? Can you prove that you have even one degree in science? Can you prove that you even passed high school and not being kicked out?
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#177269 Aug 27, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ljg4MQk_lxkXX
Fake! Admit that you first had the video of the fish and then added the appropriate music!:-P...

Level 6

Location hidden

#177270 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
This is all part of the most basic mechanics of physics. Go look it up. If you learned even that, you would not be such a numbskull every time you opened your mouth regarding science. A few days and you could revolutionise your own knowledge, something most people who profess interest in these subject would jump at the chance to do.

But we all know that you are not interested in knowledge. You are only interested in discrediting and destroying knowledge, because you hate the pride of men who have knowledge. You would rather see us all grovelling in the pit of ignorance and despair and self hatred that YOU live inside.

You might as well give up. Those who know some science will not be fooled by your idiocy, they will only laugh at you and your hatred and foolishness.

One way or another

United States

#177271 Aug 27, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so we know One way or another, tell us, how many degrees in science do you have? Can you prove that you have even one degree in science? Can you prove that you even passed high school and not being kicked out?
I have never pretended that I am anything more than what I am. The rest of you are pretending.
One way or another

United States

#177272 Aug 27, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all part of the most basic mechanics of physics. Go look it up. If you learned even that, you would not be such a numbskull every time you opened your mouth regarding science. A few days and you could revolutionise your own knowledge, something most people who profess interest in these subject would jump at the chance to do.
But we all know that you are not interested in knowledge. You are only interested in discrediting and destroying knowledge, because you hate the pride of men who have knowledge. You would rather see us all grovelling in the pit of ignorance and despair and self hatred that YOU live inside.
You might as well give up. Those who know some science will not be fooled by your idiocy, they will only laugh at you and your hatred and foolishness.
So you are too stupid to prove what you claim, there's nothing new in that.

Level 6

Location hidden

#177273 Aug 27, 2014
I doubt you will understand the difference, so I will tell you. The mass of the planet is the physical weight of the planet, versus it's size
Wrong again.

That is closer to a definition of density than mass. Mass is the resistance of an object to acceleration when a force applied to it. Density is a measure of how tightly packed in a volume a particular mass is. Thus a kg of iron occupies a small volume than a kg of water which occupies a smaller volume than a kg of air.

The definitions hold true whether we are talking about the amount of mass in the air of a tornado or the mass of an entire planet.

Level 6

Location hidden

#177274 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
I have never pretended that I am anything more than what I am. The rest of you are pretending.
Nobody is pretending to be or claiming to be anything. We are just providing the facts and theories of science, and you are just doing a very lousy and incompetent job of trying to discredit them.

Level 6

Location hidden

#177275 Aug 27, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ljg4MQk_lxkXX
had to laugh out loud.

cheers
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#177276 Aug 27, 2014
Chimneys says,Sometimes its fun to answer the irrelevant questions - the ones where Jimbo thinks he has come up with a show stopper.
Are you still having fun chimney? So how many degrees do you have an science Chimney? How can you prove that you have even one degree in science Chimney?
Are you going to show us where science makes the claims that you did chimney? You're a moron chimney, you've got nothing.
Are you still feeling the hurt in your arse, One way or another? So how many degrees do you have an science One way or another? How can you prove that you have even one degree in science One way or another? Can you prove you have obtained your highschool diploma, One way or another?

Are you going to show us where science makes the claims that you did One way or another? You're a moron One way or another, you've got nothing.

BTW, for others here: Chimney answered One way or another just 4 hours preceding "Since chimney has run away".

We may ask ourselves again whether it still is justified and responsible to poke into the posts of One way or another. He obviously is a troubled person with severe mental issues. I now stop addressing him for this reason. Basically we are mocking a person with mental problems. I don't find this proper any more.

Level 6

Location hidden

#177277 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
You are too stupid to understand what I claim.

Tornados contain air. Air has mass. You want me to prove that? Never saw the empty vs full balloon experiment when you were a child?

Moving masses have momentum and "carry a force" to try and use a phrase you would understand. Ever felt a strong wind blowing at you?

Nitwit.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#177278 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Since chimney has run away and you other children are trying to take up for his slack, explain the difference in mass, when speaking about the mass of a planet, versus the size of a planet and then the mass of a tornado, versus the size of the tornado.
I doubt you will understand the difference, so I will tell you. The mass of the planet is the physical weight of the planet, versus it's size, now what in a tornado has physical weight, according to science?
Isn't it cute, how the other children try to take up for the ignorance that chimney uses? Chimney cannot produce a PhD in science, much less many PhD's, just like dog boy and countless others, but that doesn't stop them from pretending, just like you kong. How many PHD's do you have kong?
None. I have not ONCE ever claimed to have a PhD.

But I am educated. You have shown that you are not educated.

Mass vs Weight: A couple of illustrations.

You have two balls, each 3 inches in diameter.

One is made of plastic, the other is made of lead. Which ball has more MASS?

Yeah. The lead one. It also WEIGHS more, which is typical, BUT NOT ALWAYS THE CASE.

For instance: You have two balloons -- deflated. You fill ONE with helium. Which balloon has more mass? Which one weighs more?

Answer, please.

Level 6

Location hidden

#177279 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
The irony is that you have never been able to prove a single one of your idiotic claims Jimbo.

You asked how science would find the mass of a tornado, and I answered you. Since you can never accept a reasonable answer, you have to escalate everything into a hysterical mess, always, ending up at the same point - your irrational madness. When you get to the point of demanding that I prove air has mass, its blindingly obvious how far off the rails you are.

Keep trying to discredit science, Jim. It won't work and especially it won't work in your attempts to discredit evolution or basic physics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Science 32,988
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Regolith Based Li... 164,268
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr replaytime 81,558
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Tue Science 2,188
Did humans come from Sturgeons? Mon Science 1
Proof humans come from Tennessee Mon Science 1
Science News (Sep '13) Oct 14 Science 4,005
More from around the web