Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Level 1

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#177177 Aug 25, 2014
One way or another wrote:
Science and the copy and paste children here, claim natural selection. They don't even have a clue. There is no such thing as natural selection other than some made up BS
Ask the children to give you an example of natural selection.
Let's assume that Mother Nature is actually nature itself. K? K.

A herd of deer headed to their traditional winter feed grounds. The winter is especially harsh that year and half of the herd dies during the winter.
Some died from starvation. Some died from exposure, some died from old age. And, some died from a combination of those things.
The deer which survived that harsh winter are the ones which were "naturally selected" by Mother Nature herself.
Those deer had ample enough fat stores in their bodies, had adequate shelter to wait out the cold and the storms, and were young enough to endure hardship long enough to make to the new grass shoots of spring.

What else you wish explained to you?

Level 1

Location hidden

#177178 Aug 25, 2014
The evolutionist children on here will not explain anything about natural selection, because they're too stupid to defend it.
BTW Einstein, I am no evolutionist. I do however see that evolution has a place in this world as a simple selective breeding program on any farm in the world is a simple demonstration of evolution by human manipulation.
Mother Nature is likewise such a selective breeding manipulator.

Level 1

Location hidden

#177179 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
No, never use anything of mine. I don't like morons using something that I have given.
That's funny. Just earlier today you were in fact bragging that some moron had posted your stuff on the internet.
Not sure who is posting your stuff here on this site on the net, but it is here none-the-less, and some moron (according to you) posted it somewhere else on the net.

Are some morons smarter than other morons?
One way or another

United States

#177180 Aug 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's assume that Mother Nature is actually nature itself. K? K.
A herd of deer headed to their traditional winter feed grounds. The winter is especially harsh that year and half of the herd dies during the winter.
Some died from starvation. Some died from exposure, some died from old age. And, some died from a combination of those things.
The deer which survived that harsh winter are the ones which were "naturally selected" by Mother Nature herself.
Those deer had ample enough fat stores in their bodies, had adequate shelter to wait out the cold and the storms, and were young enough to endure hardship long enough to make to the new grass shoots of spring.
What else you wish explained to you?
Yeah, and the other deer wanted to die. Get a brain moron. Possibly, like you, they were too stupid to do what was necessary to survive.
One way or another

United States

#177181 Aug 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW Einstein, I am no evolutionist. I do however see that evolution has a place in this world as a simple selective breeding program on any farm in the world is a simple demonstration of evolution by human manipulation.
Mother Nature is likewise such a selective breeding manipulator.
That's because you're too stupid to know that selective breeding is not evolution.

Level 1

Location hidden

#177182 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Gosh, it's too bad you don't have a brain. If you did, you might be able to give rebuttal to the things that I have written. However your words carry no weight, because you offer no rebuttal whatsoever to what I write. By your words, you're an idiot. Go find someone else to bother little boy.
But I enjoy pulling the jumping legs off of grasshoppers. That makes me happy. I have the right to pursue happiness.

My rebuttals sir, are in the form of OBVIOUS questions which expose elements of nonsense in your posts.
>YOU< avoid questions sir.
For example;
I asked if you had tried a mirror yet.
Well?
Have you?

Level 1

Location hidden

#177183 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
That's because you're too stupid to know that selective breeding is not evolution.
That is exactly what it is Einstein.
A selective breeding situation where those best equipped to survive the changes in their environment ... survive, and the ones possessing the traits which died ... stay dead.

Would you care to poll the audience before rendering your final answer?

Level 1

Location hidden

#177184 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Yeah, and the other deer wanted to die. Get a brain moron. Possibly, like you, they were too stupid to do what was necessary to survive.
Only an idiot or a fool would propose such nonsense sir.

BTW, I AM here. I HAVE survived thus far.
I wager that I would survive a brutal winter too if you and I were left to our own devices to survive it. I suspect that you would succumb to the elements. You do not have the genes and the training to survive such an encounter with Mother Nature herself sir.
I was born in the wild. There is no word for "wilderness" in my non-English vocabulary sir. You were born in a vacuum ... apparently.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#177185 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
And I appreciate your inability to offer rebuttal to the things that I write, in front of everyone.
But I have already pointed out an example of someone (polymath in this case) refuting what you say, but as if on command you simply responded with your usual childish name calling and dodging.

So who has an inability to argue their corner ???

Don't worry Jimbo, your response will be the usual drivel , as I say u are getting a bit repetitive now, can you come up with something new - maybe that the British royal family are lizards

(know david icke got there some decades ago - but sure you will claim HRL as your idea)
One way or another

United States

#177186 Aug 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly what it is Einstein.
A selective breeding situation where those best equipped to survive the changes in their environment ... survive, and the ones possessing the traits which died ... stay dead.
Would you care to poll the audience before rendering your final answer?
Does that include natural selection, moron?
One way or another

United States

#177187 Aug 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Only an idiot or a fool would propose such nonsense sir.
BTW, I AM here. I HAVE survived thus far.
I wager that I would survive a brutal winter too if you and I were left to our own devices to survive it. I suspect that you would succumb to the elements. You do not have the genes and the training to survive such an encounter with Mother Nature herself sir.
I was born in the wild. There is no word for "wilderness" in my non-English vocabulary sir. You were born in a vacuum ... apparently.

You're a moron, dependent upon society, and there is nothing natural about that.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#177188 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
You're a moron, dependent upon society, and there is nothing natural about that.
Ah the air is thick with billowing clouds of fresh irony.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#177189 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
First tall, the leaderburg experiment was not what I was talking about. Second off, leaderburg could never prove that those bacteria had never been exposed to antibiotics.
Bacteria are so well adapted that they will survive long into the future after we are gone and the reason is, that bacteria share their knowledge with each other and they share all of their knowledge with each other.

LOL. Dumb. Really, really dumb.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177190 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Hey stupid, what is a quorum and why are they held by bacteria?

A quorum grants voting rights to two of your brain cells when the third one is missing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177191 Aug 25, 2014
By the way, it seems pretty cool that what I have to say has been put on the net.

My son has been posting on the net since he was 4 and he has autism. He thinks it is pretty normal.

Your ability to click on a web site and type words does not mean you are not seriously mentally ill and it more in need of psychotropic medications than the average homeless person living under a bridge.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177192 Aug 25, 2014
<quoted text>

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177193 Aug 25, 2014
detractors

By "detractors" I presume you mean the sane people.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177194 Aug 25, 2014
So which of you children's arguments, have been put on the net?

Are you a moron? I mean I know you have a mental illness. My question is related to your full scale IQ. I used to assume you were low average, but now I have reason to question that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177195 Aug 25, 2014
www.topix.com/forum/news/.../p 3466?...
The above was on the front page on Google for this subject.

"Page not found" is apparently a very popular site. My congrats on your non-achievement.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177196 Aug 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Peer pressure.
The elected one's peer group changes drastically after election.
The pressure of the new peer group is generally stronger than the pressure from the original peer group from whence they came.
"We the people" morphs into "we the government", but the folks in the original peer group, still think their elected "peer" as one of them.
<quoted text>
That is what I said.
What do you think "We the government - is their new peer group" means anyway?
<rolls eyes>

The peer group is the same before and after election..... the political party.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 15 min Reno Hoock 210
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 min SoE 40,676
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... 23 min One way or another 17
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 49 min ChristineM 201,449
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr ChristineM 16,157
The conscious God or the inanimate nature 7 hr THE LONE WORKER 34
News Book aims to prove existence of God (Nov '09) 8 hr ChristineM 96
More from around the web