Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178702 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Level 1

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#177008 Aug 21, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious! Well done!
Hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile eh.
<grin>

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#177009 Aug 21, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Here's why.
"he gave the world something that no one else did ... or could."
A balanced budget is not exclusive to Bill Clinton.
Try again.
Nope, here's why.
When Clinton came into office, the deficit was $ 270 billion.
He left office with a surplus % 100 billion as I recall well.
The deficit was built by George H. Bush and steady growing during his administration, topping at $ 290 billion just ONE year before Clinton came into office. Just ONE year of deficit decrease in Bush' sr. administration.

As soon as Bush jr. started, the surplus evaporated and plunged into the most massive deficit we've ever seen.

See http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-budget-a...

Economist Mike Kimel has noted that the former Democratic Presidents (Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Lyndon B. Johnson, John F. Kennedy, and Harry S. Truman) all reduced public debt as a share of GDP, while the last four Republican Presidents (George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford) all oversaw an increase in the country's indebtedness.

Level 1

Location hidden

#177010 Aug 21, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, here's why.
When Clinton came into office, the deficit was $ 270 billion.
He left office with a surplus % 100 billion as I recall well.
The deficit was built by George H. Bush and steady growing during his administration, topping at $ 290 billion just ONE year before Clinton came into office. Just ONE year of deficit decrease in Bush' sr. administration.
As soon as Bush jr. started, the surplus evaporated and plunged into the most massive deficit we've ever seen.
See http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-budget-a...
Economist Mike Kimel has noted that the former Democratic Presidents (Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Lyndon B. Johnson, John F. Kennedy, and Harry S. Truman) all reduced public debt as a share of GDP, while the last four Republican Presidents (George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford) all oversaw an increase in the country's indebtedness.
Oh for pity's sake. Learn to read.
I said; "A balanced budget is not exclusive to Bill Clinton."
Jackson, Eisenhower both had surpluses.

There is only one thing that Bill Clinton gave to the world that no one else can or could.
Try again.

the Earth Clod

#177011 Aug 21, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for pity's sake. Learn to read.
I said; "A balanced budget is not exclusive to Bill Clinton."
Jackson, Eisenhower both had surpluses.
There is only one thing that Bill Clinton gave to the world that no one else can or could.
Try again.
You're right.
Misread it.

BTW, LOL with the light retreating!
Although it won't help, he just will not get it.
One way or another

Madison, TN

#177013 Aug 21, 2014
Black holes spin into existence and position, by Jim Ryan.

From what science claims, black holes are created by massive stars exploding or imploding. I see it as the spinning motion of our galaxy at approximately 600,000 mph and the spin of each celestial body that spins and rotates around each other inside the galaxy, setting up the spinning vortex we call black holes, at least that's how I see it. Science claims, black holes are due to massive stars exploding or imploding and these largest of stars all just happen to be in the exact middle of each galaxy. That's a load of colossal BS.

Science used to rely on cause and effect, but sensationalism has brought them more wealth, even if they are becoming a lot more ignorant and self-centered.

The cause for black holes from my point of view, would be the rotation of each galaxy, which is hundreds of thousands of miles per hour, as well as all of the individual suns and planets, spinning and revolving around each other.

Black holes are at the very center of each galaxy, because the vortex set up by the whole galaxy spinning, as well as all the individual suns and planet spinning, brings about the black hole, at the center of each galaxy.

Level 1

Location hidden

#177014 Aug 21, 2014
One way or another wrote:
From what science claims, black holes are created by massive stars exploding or imploding. I see it as the spinning motion of our galaxy at approximately 600,000 mph and the spin of each celestial body that spins and rotates around each other inside the galaxy, setting up the spinning vortex we call black holes, at least that's how I see it. Science claims, black holes are due to massive stars exploding or imploding and these largest of stars all just happen to be in the exact middle of each galaxy. That's a load of colossal BS.
Science used to rely on cause and effect, but sensationalism has brought them more wealth, even if they are becoming a lot more ignorant and self-centered.
The cause for black holes from my point of view, would be the rotation of each galaxy, which is hundreds of thousands of miles per hour, as well as all of the individual suns and planets, spinning and revolving around each other.
Black holes are at the very center of each galaxy, because the vortex set up by the whole galaxy spinning, as well as all the individual suns and planet spinning, brings about the black hole, at the center of each galaxy.
Hey perfesser.
Splain folding now for us eh.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#177015 Aug 21, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>Hey perfesser.
Splain folding now for us eh.
Yeah.

Lemme pour a new one. This should be hilarious!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#177016 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>
The government and school system made you stupid, you just obliged them. You're a groupie, that's what you chose and that's what you will always be, just like the rest of your little friends that pretend they know something about science.
You are cut and paste groupies, that's what you were taught and that's what you chose.

You need to really consider mental health services. You are clearly not happy at all. Haven't you suffered enough?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177017 Aug 21, 2014

Wrong. Do you thing this is the way science works? By having ignorant people make up crap?

Sorry, but it does NOT work that way.
One way or another

Madison, TN

#177018 Aug 21, 2014
If you children have any rebuttal, other than your childish innuendo and name-calling, I'm sure everyone would be interested.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#177019 Aug 21, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Do you thing this is the way science works? By having ignorant people make up crap?
Sorry, but it does NOT work that way.
It's the only thing fundies do; make up cráp about something they hate and ridicule their own cráp.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#177020 Aug 21, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the only thing fundies do; make up cráp about something they hate and ridicule their own cráp.
And when you call them on their crap pseudo-science, they whine that we are being impolite or childish. Sorry, no matter how much mayonnaise you use, still tastes like crap.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#177021 Aug 22, 2014
If you children have any rebuttal, other than your childish innuendo and name-calling, I'm sure everyone would be interested.

The universe is made of invisible purple ping-pong balls.

]If you children have any rebuttal, other than your childish innuendo and name-calling, I'm sure everyone would be interested.

LOL

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#177022 Aug 22, 2014
No rebuttal is needed for pure bullshit. It's simply pure bullshit.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#177023 Aug 22, 2014
"Anything is possible when you don't know what you're talking about." - Chip Todd

the Earth Clod

#177024 Aug 22, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
Lemme pour a new one. This should be hilarious!
Gee, guys, he only tried to explain the black holes spinning into existence and position within his brain.

Level 1

Location hidden

#177025 Aug 22, 2014
I apologize for calling you perfesser. It was wrong of me to do so.
I clearly made a mistake in identity.
My bad.
One way or another

Madison, TN

#177026 Aug 22, 2014
How to think, teach

When you were in school, your teachers taught you what to think and how to think, right? Didn't your teachers write on the board and tell you to copy what they wrote into your books?

Now to the important part, did your teachers ever teach you to challenge what you were taught? If not, your teachers must have thought that they knew everything. If they did not know everything, how come your teachers never told you that?

To that end, I say to you. Before you write, think of the questions that you want to apps, but before you ask them, you should try to answer your own questions, but in so doing, you should look twice as hard at disapproving them. If you can easily answer or should I say counter your own questions then you have nothing. That's why looking for everything that is not said, is so very important. When you can Google a question and the answer than that gives is vague or not there, it's time for you to start doing some real searching in different ways, like asking your questions in your searches differently or better yet, coming up with your own reasoning and either hypothesize or if you can offer intelligent reasoning, your own theories.
Know your weaknesses. Rereading your own work can many times bring new thoughts, just as writing your own work. The best real learning, is to challenge everything and everyone that you think you know and refined that.

Please wake up.
One way or another

Madison, TN

#177027 Aug 22, 2014
Happy to learn by Jim Ryan

When people offer intelligent thought, challenge never just take it for granted because it sounds good. Think about this. If someone were moderating a class of kids and the kids were allowed and encouraged to challenge everything brought to the room, do you think the kids would have fun? Do you think they would learn many times faster and do you think it would give rise to so much more? Yes many times kids may be wrong, But I assure you with just a little time, they would run to school every day, laughing all the way, because they could all learn to express themselves while being challenged and having fun. The moderator, teacher, would not feel any pressure, because they would not have to defend their pride, believing they are smarter and getting mad when a kid bring something the teacher/moderator didn't think of.

What great fun they could have and they could run home every day, telling their parents all they learned. If that didn't make you happy, nothing would. How long before great ideas implemented? The problem is, when your child be allowed to participate or will it just be given to the so-called, best schools, if ever.

If I were a kid, I would love to know how the human mind work, because it would make getting along in school much easier. I would love to have a class where I could have a computer and look up all the stuff and talk about it with my classmates, wouldn't you? What about your kids? Just think of interactive history classes, with a moderator that wanted you all to have your say. Biology reading and writing, all types. Go on, challenge your kids and watch as they jump out of bed in the morning, talking about each class, even the boring math and English classes. Give them the true gift of learning, give them a voice, give them moderators, not prideful teachers. But the children speak with respect and let other children off a respectful rebuttal, with a moderator.
Children have the ability to teach themselves and each other, if given half a chance and they would jump at the chance. Of course you would have to corral all the laughter, so the next 10 classrooms were disturbed.
Chances are, but if classes were conducted this way, the moderators biggest problem would be to keep the whole school from breaking out in laughter so big, that the whole neighborhood would know.

“Input”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Input

#177028 Aug 22, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe is made of invisible purple ping-pong balls.
]If you children have any rebuttal, other than your childish innuendo and name-calling, I'm sure everyone would be interested.
LOL
Those are Barney eggs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min Blitzking 174,056
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Critical Eye 20,904
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 13 hr ChromiuMan 143,949
News Intelligent design 15 hr MikeF 24
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Sep 2 macumazahn 1,248
News Pastafarians rejoice! Deep sea creature floatin... Sep 2 karl44 1
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) Sep 2 dollarsbill 14
More from around the web