Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#176909 Aug 19, 2014
One way or another wrote:
While I'm sure there were obscure groups that made claims about garlic, how could they prove their claims? If they had been eating garlic from childhood, most people would just say well you have good genes or you drink wine and that's what did it.
Yeah that's it, it was the antioxidants in the wine, not the garlic. You and your childish friends made that exact statement to be, that it was the wine, not the garlic. Do you really think the pill industry wants people to understand garlic and all of its healing powers?
Yawn. Kyolic is a non-obscure internationally recognised garlic extract that has been marketed since 1975 in the USA and since 1980 internationally.

http://www.kyolic.com/category/milestones/

Just one example to refute your idiotic claims. Here is another:

"In 1858, none other than Louis Pasteur reported that garlic and onion were antibacterial. Later, Albert Schweitzer used garlic alone to treat amoebic dysentery in Africa. And in both world wars, garlic was used as an antiseptic to prevent gangrene."

http://vibrantenergysupplements.com/2013/01/3...

Or more clinical:

"Effect of Garlic on blood lipids on Patients with Coronary Heart Disease"
Published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Copyright 1981.

Yes, 1981.

That's Nineteen Eighty One in case you missed it.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/34/10/2100....

And there are tons of others.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#176910 Aug 19, 2014
While I'm sure there were obscure groups that made claims about garlic, how could they prove their claims? If they had been eating garlic from childhood, most people would just say well you have good genes or you drink wine and that's what did it.
Yeah that's it, it was the antioxidants in the wine, not the garlic. You and your childish friends made that exact statement to be, that it was the wine, not the garlic. Do you really think the pill industry wants people to understand garlic and all of its healing powers?
No, somebody mentioned wine, but that was not me. There is no "me and my friends", there are only other posters, who are free to contribute to any discussion. In fact both wine and garlic have been claimed as having health benefits. Its not one or the other.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#176911 Aug 19, 2014
Until I started talking about garlic in a good way from back in about 2002, to about 2004, on a newspaper's website, not one person ever said anything positive about garlic and I was laughed at for suggesting it
False, as my references to earlier work on the subject confirm.

Nobody laughed at you for suggesting garlic had health benefits. You were, and are, being laughed at for your claim that you invented the idea.

And nobody would have discussed garlic on this EVOLUTION site for the same reason nobody discussed their living room decor preferences. It was not relevant to the topic.

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#176912 Aug 19, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, somebody mentioned wine, but that was not me. There is no "me and my friends", there are only other posters, who are free to contribute to any discussion. In fact both wine and garlic have been claimed as having health benefits. Its not one or the other.
A friend of mine is a cardiologist and had this to say about wine being good for health: "I never advise people to drink wine for its benefice for blood circulation. Because they often consider it as licence to start boozing".

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176913 Aug 19, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
A friend of mine is a cardiologist and had this to say about wine being good for health: "I never advise people to drink wine for its benefice for blood circulation. Because they often consider it as licence to start boozing".
You mean it isn't?? DANG it!!!
One way or another

Madison, TN

#176914 Aug 19, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn. Kyolic is a non-obscure internationally recognised garlic extract that has been marketed since 1975 in the USA and since 1980 internationally.
http://www.kyolic.com/category/milestones/
Just one example to refute your idiotic claims. Here is another:
"In 1858, none other than Louis Pasteur reported that garlic and onion were antibacterial. Later, Albert Schweitzer used garlic alone to treat amoebic dysentery in Africa. And in both world wars, garlic was used as an antiseptic to prevent gangrene."
http://vibrantenergysupplements.com/2013/01/3...
Or more clinical:
"Effect of Garlic on blood lipids on Patients with Coronary Heart Disease"
Published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Copyright 1981.
Yes, 1981.
That's Nineteen Eighty One in case you missed it.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/34/10/2100....
And there are tons of others.
Those things were obscure, because I never heard of them when I was young or at any time. I'm sure most people did not because it never got around me that garlic and onions were antiseptic none of my family and most of my family was in Medicine.

I never read it in the newspaper I never saw it on TV nothing. Most people on the net here today will understand those same things you have found this stuff on the net after the fact you're a plain and simple liar chimney, that's all you'll ever be but hey, that's just what you choose.

You make up so much stuff it's ridiculous. Most people don't call you on it, but I do, because I know what you are.
One way or another

Madison, TN

#176915 Aug 19, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
False, as my references to earlier work on the subject confirm.
Nobody laughed at you for suggesting garlic had health benefits. You were, and are, being laughed at for your claim that you invented the idea.
And nobody would have discussed garlic on this EVOLUTION site for the same reason nobody discussed their living room decor preferences. It was not relevant to the topic.
I would gladly prove it, but this site has made it very very difficult to go back in time on here and find the relevant posts. You have to move only one post at a time and I'll catch you lying again and again. You can't help making up things and lying chimney, that's just who you are.
One way or another

Madison, TN

#176916 Aug 19, 2014
You children lied so much and made up so much nonsense about science, that you had to quit talking about science. Now you are relegated to talking about religion.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#176917 Aug 19, 2014
<quoted text>
I would gladly prove it, but this site has made it very very difficult to go back in time on here and find the relevant posts. You have to move only one post at a time and I'll catch you lying again and again. You can't help making up things and lying chimney, that's just who you are.
Where was Chimney lying?

YOU made this 'grand announcement' regarding the health benefits of garlic, insinuating that you 'discovered' this benefit.

The actual and assumed health benefits of garlic have been around for HUNDREDS OF YEARS. Chimney posted links to some of them above.

You're just pissed off because you got called on it.

the Earth Clod

#176918 Aug 19, 2014
You children lied so much and made up so much nonsense about science, that you had to quit talking about science. Now you are relegated to talking about religion.
Ah, third persona talking.

the Earth Clod

#176919 Aug 19, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was Chimney lying?
YOU made this 'grand announcement' regarding the health benefits of garlic, insinuating that you 'discovered' this benefit.
The actual and assumed health benefits of garlic have been around for HUNDREDS OF YEARS. Chimney posted links to some of them above.
You're just pissed off because you got called on it.
Kong, he DOESN'T answer posts.

BTW, do you happen to know why exactly he is promoting garlic all the time?

the Earth Clod

#176920 Aug 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Gee, were you REALLY claiming that you were the one who discovered the health benefits of garlic?
One way or another

Madison, TN

#176921 Aug 19, 2014
Go back to talking about science if you dare children.

the Earth Clod

#176922 Aug 19, 2014
Gee, were you REALLY claiming that you were the one who discovered the health benefits of garlic?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176923 Aug 19, 2014
Have you been an idiot all your life, or did you have to work at it?

Orlando

#176924 Aug 19, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Kong, he DOESN'T answer posts.
BTW, do you happen to know why exactly he is promoting garlic all the time?
Ummmm.....*GARLIC* cat-piss carpet tack strips?

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#176925 Aug 19, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean it isn't?? DANG it!!!
One glass of wine is healthy, therefore 5 glasses is 5x as healthy.

Right?

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#176926 Aug 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Those things were obscure, because I never heard of them when I was young or at any time. I'm sure most people did not because it never got around me that garlic and onions were antiseptic none of my family and most of my family was in Medicine.
I never read it in the newspaper I never saw it on TV nothing. Most people on the net here today will understand those same things you have found this stuff on the net after the fact you're a plain and simple liar chimney, that's all you'll ever be but hey, that's just what you choose.
You make up so much stuff it's ridiculous. Most people don't call you on it, but I do, because I know what you are.
So something is only obscure or not obscure based only on whether you are aware of it or not?
One way or another

Madison, TN

#176927 Aug 19, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
So something is only obscure or not obscure based only on whether you are aware of it or not?
Knowing what we do through the Internet today, and only because of the Internet, not one TV station has ever carried that message about garlic to the general public.
The pharmaceutical companies and the government and the media all conspire to maintain control of whatever they want.

Play stupid it looks good on you.

Orlando

#176928 Aug 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Knowing what we do through the Internet today, and only because of the Internet, not one TV station has ever carried that message about garlic to the general public.
The pharmaceutical companies and the government and the media all conspire to maintain control of whatever they want.
Play stupid it looks good on you.
Nah. You got stupid pretty much covered.

Again...medicinal garlic is VERY well known.
And NOT because some Jr High School dropout, former carpet layer mentioned it within the past week.

Google "medicinal garlic". I got 2,250,000 hits. That's TWO AND A QUARTER MILLION hits, you ignorant putz!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min replaytime 131,908
How would creationists explain... 11 min jbandelin 293
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 3 hr The Dude 466
Science News (Sep '13) 4 hr positronium 2,941
What you should know about Tuesday's vote on ev... (Feb '08) 18 hr IAMIOOWAN 516
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 22 hr Brian_G 13,614
sea-dwelling dinosaur found alive (Apr '10) Wed The Dude 87
More from around the web