Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179707 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176765 Aug 15, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
If an animal can not tell right from wrong, why do dogs look so guilty when they do something they know you don't want them to do?
Can you prove this creator exists? I'll wait ....
A dog looks frightened, not guilty. How do you treat the dog in question when he disobeys or displeases you in some way.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#176766 Aug 15, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
A dog looks frightened, not guilty. How do you treat the dog in question when he disobeys or displeases you in some way.
BS dogs know when they do something wrong, it isn't always fear they show.
It's shame, some have been known to even smile when caught doing things.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

The King in the Nor±h

#176767 Aug 15, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
http://blog.adoptandshop.org/submissive-smili...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#176768 Aug 15, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as it is a symbol of a religion that practices compassion and respect for the rights of others, I certainly would.

You mean like Satanism?
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#176769 Aug 15, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
We are offended all the time by someone saying or doing what they have constitutional rights to say or do. We have to learn at some point we share this planet with many people of many different " persuasions."
Today, in America, I think everyone's rights to express themselves ( respectfully) is, and should be protected!
I've known homosexuals who live their lives "respectfully" in public. Some of the kindest, most gentle and unassuming people you could find anywhere. I don't judge them. Their hearts and motives, and relationships are between themselves and God. Only God knows if some are born with more hormones of another gender. I don't question the science, and I don't question that was not God's original intention when He created men and women the way He did.
It wasn't God's intention that many of the things that happen to us before birth, at birth, or after birth happen. Those are things we do not know the reason for, but that we trust God to be fair and just and expects us to do the same.
Science gives us information about the physical causes of things, but science cannot explain the motives of a person's heart.
I can say that I don't agree with or understand another person's lifestyle. I DO NOT have any right to judge his heart. ALL of us are sinners in need of forgiveness for all the things the Bible teaches are not Pleasing to God. AND, we ALL FAIL to meet God's standards every day.
I think, if I were a gay person ( and I know many who are also believe in God), I would discuss it with God in Prayer, and then know that if my heart is right with God that He will understand. As with any sin, we may lose rewards in Heaven, but if we know God in our hearts, we will not miss going there. Jesus' blood covers our sins present, past, and future. God judges the HEART!
I would like you to answer the questions in my post.
MegaSolipsist

Auckland, New Zealand

#176770 Aug 15, 2014
Evolution is verifiable and falsifiable, and as it is supported by the experimental observations of experiments, the theory of evolution is scientific.
Intelligent Design makes no falsifiable predictions and therefore isn't scientific.
This basically sums up why evolution should be taught in all schools and universities and Intelligent Design should not. Although this is the case in most schools and universities.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176771 Aug 15, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
My dog looks guilty, he doesn't run or whimper. I don't know what you christian bastages do to your poor dogs, but mine does not fear me.

Level 5

#176772 Aug 15, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> BS dogs know when they do something wrong, it isn't always fear they show.
It's shame, some have been known to even smile when caught doing things.
And what is this about "fear" and "shame" wouldn't you have to have a "soul" to "feel" those emotions?

Level 5

#176773 Aug 15, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe that's why these Christians have to "fear" their god, because they have no natural "soul"??.... Just a thought.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176774 Aug 15, 2014
It is good to know that you are passionate about caring for your pet. From your rude and disrespectful posts, I had no respect for you whatsoever.
I like to think I look for something good in everyone. I think I found out something good about you.
I know you don't give a monkey's ass about my opinion of you (so you don't have to tell me), but it makes me feel better anyway. Peace
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176776 Aug 15, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is this about "fear" and "shame" wouldn't you have to have a "soul" to "feel" those emotions?
Fight or flight is a natural instinct in humans and animals, shame on the other hand is conscience of right and wrong.
I know my dogs know when they have been disobedient. I don't think they feel shame or remorse, because if they want to and think they can get away with it without a reprimand, they will do it again the first chance they get.
I know my dogs feel happy and sad, courageous and fearful, and love and compassion. They are not guilty of doing what comes natural for an animal, or doing what they have been taught to do by evil people who get pleasure out of seeing anything or anyone suffer.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

The King in the Nor±h

#176777 Aug 15, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea whether a soul is even possible, but we know emotions are.
But I'm pretty sure it's your mind that creates them and the body that feels those emotions.
What a soul would have to do with it I can't say.
One way or another

United States

#176778 Aug 16, 2014
MegaSolipsist wrote:
Evolution is verifiable and falsifiable, and as it is supported by the experimental observations of experiments, the theory of evolution is scientific.
Intelligent Design makes no falsifiable predictions and therefore isn't scientific.
This basically sums up why evolution should be taught in all schools and universities and Intelligent Design should not. Although this is the case in most schools and universities.
And you're a cut and paste moron, just like the other evolutionists here.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#176779 Aug 16, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah here we got this brilliant mind again with his groundbreaking research on:
1) "electron energy levels observed in light pertaining redshift"
2) our eyes do not receive light particles but "we see out to things"
3) the redshift is explained by "poor angular resolution" of the galaxies
4) "C14 and radiocarbon dating are different things"
5) "I am going to debunk the whole of optics science"

Can you entertain us a little bit more about these, genius?
One way or another

United States

#176780 Aug 16, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah here we got this brilliant mind again with his groundbreaking research on:
1) "electron energy levels observed in light pertaining redshift"
2) our eyes do not receive light particles but "we see out to things"
3) the redshift is explained by "poor angular resolution" of the galaxies
4) "C14 and radiocarbon dating are different things"
5) "I am going to debunk the whole of optics science"
Can you entertain us a little bit more about these, genius?
When science perform its Luna or laser ranging experiment to the moon and back, tell us if you can, The pitfalls of the experiment and why, as it pertains to light Theory.

Since you're a moron I know you won't understand or be able to answer the question and neither will any of the other evolutionist morons on here.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176781 Aug 16, 2014
As I sat beside my Mom's dead, lifeless body, waiting for the funeral home to come,I held her hand. It was cold and lifeless. The soft warm hand that I had held (and had held mine) so many times before.
I talked to her, but she did not move and her sweet expression did not change.
The spirit had left her body and "returned to God." Ecclesiastes 12:7
And her body would soon return to the dust of the ground from which it came. Ecc. 12:7
Science can see what happens to a dead body.
Science has no answers for the soul that dwelled for a short time in that mortal body.
Animals do not have a soul. But, we know there are animals in Heaven. I see no reason why God cannot recreate those animals we love so much here to be with us there.
During the thousand years of peace on earth ( the millinium) there will be lions lying with lambs in peace and harmony as children play among them. The world as God intended it to be will come, and evil will be destroyed in a place called hell.(TWIB). Peace!
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#176782 Aug 16, 2014
<quoted text>
When science perform its Luna or laser ranging experiment to the moon and back, tell us if you can, The pitfalls of the experiment and why, as it pertains to light Theory.
Since you're a moron I know you won't understand or be able to answer the question and neither will any of the other evolutionist morons on here.
Explain your positions does not equal posing questions to the attender.
You are basically asking ME to explain YOUR position.
SHAME yourself for that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176783 Aug 16, 2014
<quoted text>

He states a few obvious facts and you jump on him. How insecure are you?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176784 Aug 16, 2014
<quoted text>

Are you talking to yourself again? You should have that looked at.
One way or another

United States

#176785 Aug 16, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain your positions does not equal posing questions to the attender.
You are basically asking ME to explain YOUR position.
SHAME yourself for that.
There's nothing good to be had from you idiots. Every once in a while I ask a question that should be obvious and easy to answer, but of course the only thing that comes back is your ignorance and childishness.

Perhaps someday, someone with discernment in science, will come along.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Aura Mytha 216,739
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 min GoTrump 154,703
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 25 min One way or another 48,580
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr karl44 23,504
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 17 hr Timmee 9
Science News (Sep '13) 23 hr _Susan_ 3,985
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... Sun The Northener 642
More from around the web