Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#176488 Aug 2, 2014
Christian wrote:
I find the only way to make sense of any of life's most perplexing questions and circumstances is through faith in the life be teaching of Jesus Christ, as explained in the New Testament and foretold and predicted in the Old.
As long as one lives a life of peace and respect for himself and others, I have no quarrel with religions that do not have evil intentions toward others.
It is the evil we cannot see that influences the actions and injustice we do see.
I choose to fight what I believe to be a supernatural (demonic) spiritual warfare with a faith in a supernatural God, who's Word is Jesus Christ, born into this world as a man, lived a life of humility and service to others, tortured and murdered to make the final blood sacrifice, raised from the dead by the Holy Spirit of God, the righteous omnipotent advocate in Heaven for all who ask.
Ok Dude, I might agree, but could you for clarity's sake please explain exactly how
supernatural (demonic) spiritual warfare takes place?
Does it require combat training? and..
Where do you find a demon to fight with?
I mean do you have a bag of stakes like Van Helsing?
Do you ever need a uniform, like in ghost busters?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#176489 Aug 2, 2014
Christian wrote:
I find the only way to make sense of any of life's most perplexing questions and circumstances is through faith in the life be teaching of Jesus Christ, as explained in the New Testament and foretold and predicted in the Old.
As long as one lives a life of peace and respect for himself and others, I have no quarrel with religions that do not have evil intentions toward others.
It is the evil we cannot see that influences the actions and injustice we do see.
I choose to fight what I believe to be a supernatural (demonic) spiritual warfare with a faith in a supernatural God, who's Word is Jesus Christ, born into this world as a man, lived a life of humility and service to others, tortured and murdered to make the final blood sacrifice, raised from the dead by the Holy Spirit of God, the righteous omnipotent advocate in Heaven for all who ask.
Fine, but that does not preclude the theory of evolution. There are many Christians that accept the theory of evolution. And you still have not owned up to the massive death and destruction that your own religion has caused. Once again they may not be your kind of Christians, but they were still; Christians.

Now we could argue how Christ's sacrifice was not that big of a sacrifice. How the God of the O..T. especially is immoral and vile. And how Jesus may not be that much better. You put your own spin on it. I am betting you put your own spin on the Bible too.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176490 Aug 2, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, but that does not preclude the theory of evolution. There are many Christians that accept the theory of evolution. And you still have not owned up to the massive death and destruction that your own religion has caused. Once again they may not be your kind of Christians, but they were still; Christians.
Now we could argue how Christ's sacrifice was not that big of a sacrifice. How the God of the O..T. especially is immoral and vile. And how Jesus may not be that much better. You put your own spin on it. I am betting you put your own spin on the Bible too.
I have no problem with scientific theory of any kind. I have no problem with evolution. The theory of evolution was taught when I was in grade school. It had no bearing on my faith when I sought answers in my spirit.
What I call myself or what are or not " my kind of Christian," has nothing to do with faith in Jesus Christ as the redeemer of all mankind.
God defines the hearts of men, not other men.
You are religious without knowing it. You determine your own truth and hate what you do not understand.
True Christians hate evil, not other people. We fight to protect our families from the influences of those who would seek to destroy our freedom. Those who refuse to live in peace and who refuse to show compassion and understanding of righteousness and goodness.
Read Isaiah 55: 8-9.
Read about righteousness in the Old Testament. Don't put your own spin on it. Read it as it is! You can understand, but only if YOU want to understand.
You hate any concept of God because you hate religious people. If you continue to refuse to understand you cannot compare the two, you will always hate God, instead of the evil that God opposes so adamantly in His Word (Jesus Christ). If you truly seek peace, you may find God in the journey.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#176491 Aug 2, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with scientific theory of any kind. I have no problem with evolution. The theory of evolution was taught when I was in grade school. It had no bearing on my faith when I sought answers in my spirit.
What I call myself or what are or not " my kind of Christian," has nothing to do with faith in Jesus Christ as the redeemer of all mankind.
God defines the hearts of men, not other men.
You are religious without knowing it. You determine your own truth and hate what you do not understand.
True Christians hate evil, not other people. We fight to protect our families from the influences of those who would seek to destroy our freedom. Those who refuse to live in peace and who refuse to show compassion and understanding of righteousness and goodness.
Read Isaiah 55: 8-9.
Read about righteousness in the Old Testament. Don't put your own spin on it. Read it as it is! You can understand, but only if YOU want to understand.
You hate any concept of God because you hate religious people. If you continue to refuse to understand you cannot compare the two, you will always hate God, instead of the evil that God opposes so adamantly in His Word (Jesus Christ). If you truly seek peace, you may find God in the journey.
Please don't try and say that I am religious. I try to avoid being irrational. Religion is a faith based belief and faith is not a good thing.

The O.T. can claim it is moral. That does not make it moral. Bill Clinton claimed that he did not have "sexual relations" with Monica. Sorry, a BJ is a sexual relation. A person does not get to redefine words to suit their purpose. The Bible does not get to redefine morality so that all of the evils it supports are now moral.

Is slavery moral? The Bible seems to say so.

If a person beats a slave so badly that he dies after a few days should he get away with this evil without being punished? The Bible says that his loss of money was punishment enough.

Is it moral to throw stones at disobedient children so that they die?

The Bible says so.

I could go on and on. There are many other cases of extreme evil that are supported by the Bible. The God of the O.T. was not moral.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#176492 Aug 2, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with scientific theory of any kind. I have no problem with evolution. The theory of evolution was taught when I was in grade school. It had no bearing on my faith when I sought answers in my spirit.
What I call myself or what are or not " my kind of Christian," has nothing to do with faith in Jesus Christ as the redeemer of all mankind.
God defines the hearts of men, not other men.
You are religious without knowing it. You determine your own truth and hate what you do not understand.
True Christians hate evil, not other people. We fight to protect our families from the influences of those who would seek to destroy our freedom. Those who refuse to live in peace and who refuse to show compassion and understanding of righteousness and goodness.
Read Isaiah 55: 8-9.
Read about righteousness in the Old Testament. Don't put your own spin on it. Read it as it is! You can understand, but only if YOU want to understand.
You hate any concept of God because you hate religious people. If you continue to refuse to understand you cannot compare the two, you will always hate God, instead of the evil that God opposes so adamantly in His Word (Jesus Christ). If you truly seek peace, you may find God in the journey.
They taught evolution when you were in grade school?

Yes, "True Christians" have fought a lot over the last 2000 years. During the Crusades you even killed each other in the name of God.

We are back here again. "True Christians". "You don't understand because you don't want to understand". "Jesus drove a 4X4 with a gun rack and a Lynryrd Skynyrd bumper sticker". "True Christians hate evil". But it turns out that evil is what "True Christains" hate.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176493 Aug 2, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>They taught evolution when you were in grade school?
Yes, "True Christians" have fought a lot over the last 2000 years. During the Crusades you even killed each other in the name of God.
We are back here again. "True Christians". "You don't understand because you don't want to understand". "Jesus drove a 4X4 with a gun rack and a Lynryrd Skynyrd bumper sticker". "True Christians hate evil". But it turns out that evil is what "True Christains" hate.
Yes. I remember the pics or the Neanderthal and others evolving from ape-like creatures into modern man as early as fifth grade. At that age, f the textbook said it, we believed it.
I believe the fossils and bones could well be ape-like beings that existed prior to Adam. I don't know, and neither do you how and when or how we got here. We all have our theories, evidence, and beliefs. That is as it should be.
Not sure what you are trying to say in that last statement, but if you are suggesting I meant that ONLY true Christians hate evil, that is your spin on everything about God. You see and look for only the ugly and negative you can wring out of any well intended comment.
You can be an atheist, or an orangutan , for all I know, and hate evil. You cannot be a Christian and enjoy doing evil, watching others do evil, or overlooking evil. IMO.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#176494 Aug 2, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I remember the pics or the Neanderthal and others evolving from ape-like creatures into modern man as early as fifth grade. At that age, f the textbook said it, we believed it.
I believe the fossils and bones could well be ape-like beings that existed prior to Adam. I don't know, and neither do you how and when or how we got here. We all have our theories, evidence, and beliefs. That is as it should be.
Not sure what you are trying to say in that last statement, but if you are suggesting I meant that ONLY true Christians hate evil, that is your spin on everything about God. You see and look for only the ugly and negative you can wring out of any well intended comment.
You can be an atheist, or an orangutan , for all I know, and hate evil. You cannot be a Christian and enjoy doing evil, watching others do evil, or overlooking evil. IMO.
Sloppy language can lead to defeat in a debate. There is only one theory out there right now and that is the theory of evolution. Theory is a very specific term in a scientific debate. A theory is an idea that is well explained and thoroughly tested. The theory of evolution explains the diversity of life we see today. It is extremely thoroughly tested and all scientific evidence supports the ToE.

You seem to be blind to the pain and misery that your religion has caused in the past. Now you may not ever cause pain or misery to others with your religion but without facing and correcting for the past evils of Christianity you almost guarantee future evils from Christianity.

For example most Catholics are decent people. But until the church deals with its problem of child abuse by certain priests they all but guarantee future child abuse by priests. Perhaps the current pope will do a decent job, but I can positively declare that I would have been a better pope than the previous one. I might have put the church through some pain and anguish, but the church would have been a stronger healthier church after I cleaned up the riffraff.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176495 Aug 2, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sloppy language can lead to defeat in a debate. There is only one theory out there right now and that is the theory of evolution. Theory is a very specific term in a scientific debate. A theory is an idea that is well explained and thoroughly tested. The theory of evolution explains the diversity of life we see today. It is extremely thoroughly tested and all scientific evidence supports the ToE.
You seem to be blind to the pain and misery that your religion has caused in the past. Now you may not ever cause pain or misery to others with your religion but without facing and correcting for the past evils of Christianity you almost guarantee future evils from Christianity.
For example most Catholics are decent people. But until the church deals with its problem of child abuse by certain priests they all but guarantee future child abuse by priests. Perhaps the current pope will do a decent job, but I can positively declare that I would have been a better pope than the previous one. I might have put the church through some pain and anguish, but the church would have been a stronger healthier church after I cleaned up the riffraff.
I would definitely do better in a debate about different religions than one between science and religion. A debater should know what he is arguing against.
I have no problem with evolution. It does not threaten my worldview in the least.
War and atrocities that go along with them have been being waged over religious issues since the beginning of time. When Cain killed Able it was a matter of pride and jealousy over a religious issue.
Able, whose offering pleased God more, ended up dead.
I do not answer for nor do I have to try to correct anything others have done in the name of Christianity, right or wrong.
Religious institutions are flawed. People are flawed. Bad things happen to good people in war, but wars must be fought at times.
God is on the side of righteousness. He knows what we do not know about every intent and motive and injustice committed on and off the battlefield. He will judge righteously every evil intent and motive. He will avenge the horrors perpetrated against the innocent.
Only God knows who is guilty and who is innocent, and whose motives are righteous and whose are evil.
The a Bible says that many workers of iniquity do so in God's name, and that they are hypocrits and liars, and they do not know God.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#176496 Aug 2, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I would definitely do better in a debate about different religions than one between science and religion. A debater should know what he is arguing against.
I have no problem with evolution. It does not threaten my worldview in the least.
War and atrocities that go along with them have been being waged over religious issues since the beginning of time. When Cain killed Able it was a matter of pride and jealousy over a religious issue.
Able, whose offering pleased God more, ended up dead.
I do not answer for nor do I have to try to correct anything others have done in the name of Christianity, right or wrong.
Religious institutions are flawed. People are flawed. Bad things happen to good people in war, but wars must be fought at times.
God is on the side of righteousness. He knows what we do not know about every intent and motive and injustice committed on and off the battlefield. He will judge righteously every evil intent and motive. He will avenge the horrors perpetrated against the innocent.
Only God knows who is guilty and who is innocent, and whose motives are righteous and whose are evil.
The a Bible says that many workers of iniquity do so in God's name, and that they are hypocrits and liars, and they do not know God.
When saying that evolution does not give you a problem you should not include mythical stories from the Bible.

Cain and Abel are a myth. There story is a morality story at best.

And your interpretation of God is on the side of righteousness. That is not the God of the Bible.

“The Bible is no science book”

Level 4

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#176497 Aug 3, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
May sound stupid, but until just a few years ago I attended church regularly. I don't think most Christians know that, if it is true.
What I, and I suppose most Christians have known is that Atheists are pushing for crosses and anything Christian to be removed from public places.
If a public official is elected and chooses not to put his hand on a Bible, or join in a public prayer, that should be his right. As long as he was honest with the voters during his campaign about his views on those things. If he gets the votes being open and honest with the voters there should be no problem. I'm sure there are intelligent, moral, honest, atheists who might make good public servants. The government should be a mix of people who represent all the people. The voters should decide issues on how public places are used by voting for candidates the respect and can trust to serve the best interest of all the people.
When any one group seeks to push their ways on another group, or seeks to take away the right of another group, that is where the hateful rhetoric starts on both sides. Everyone's individual rights should be respected.
The majority opinion on all issues should continue to prevail, unless what the majority is doing is deliberately disrespecting or harming anyone.
It is very obvious that you have never heard of The Wedge Strategy, which has been in effect for quite a few years now. It is the desire of a broad mix of religious leaders in America to do everything in their power to influence politicians to the point that they basically run the country and teach creationism in every public school. If you don't believe that, then this is a copy of their charter which outlines their goals and how to do it.

http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.h...

See how much of it you can see in todays politics.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#176498 Aug 3, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very obvious that you have never heard of The Wedge Strategy, which has been in effect for quite a few years now. It is the desire of a broad mix of religious leaders in America to do everything in their power to influence politicians to the point that they basically run the country and teach creationism in every public school. If you don't believe that, then this is a copy of their charter which outlines their goals and how to do it.
http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.h...
See how much of it you can see in todays politics.
Very much indeed!
If Christian really had concerns about teaching science in classes and separation of state and religion, he apparently has wrong priorities. Instead of debating evolutionists, he better starts to worry about his fellow believers who make a mess out of everything.
wondering

Morris, OK

#176499 Aug 3, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much indeed!
If Christian really had concerns about teaching science in classes and separation of state and religion, he apparently has wrong priorities. Instead of debating evolutionists, he better starts to worry about his fellow believers who make a mess out of everything.
puff, fart, stink. can you or will you ever add anything new?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176500 Aug 3, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I would definitely do better in a debate about different religions than one between science and religion. A debater should know what he is arguing against.
I have no problem with evolution. It does not threaten my worldview in the least.
War and atrocities that go along with them have been being waged over religious issues since the beginning of time. When Cain killed Able it was a matter of pride and jealousy over a religious issue.
Able, whose offering pleased God more, ended up dead.
I do not answer for nor do I have to try to correct anything others have done in the name of Christianity, right or wrong.
Religious institutions are flawed. People are flawed. Bad things happen to good people in war, but wars must be fought at times.
God is on the side of righteousness. He knows what we do not know about every intent and motive and injustice committed on and off the battlefield. He will judge righteously every evil intent and motive. He will avenge the horrors perpetrated against the innocent.
Only God knows who is guilty and who is innocent, and whose motives are righteous and whose are evil.
The a Bible says that many workers of iniquity do so in God's name, and that they are hypocrits and liars, and they do not know God.
If you actually "know God" as you say, you should be able to prove he exists .... I'll wait....

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176501 Aug 3, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
puff, fart, stink. can you or will you ever add anything new?
Will you?
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176502 Aug 3, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very obvious that you have never heard of The Wedge Strategy, which has been in effect for quite a few years now. It is the desire of a broad mix of religious leaders in America to do everything in their power to influence politicians to the point that they basically run the country and teach creationism in every public school. If you don't believe that, then this is a copy of their charter which outlines their goals and how to do it.
http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.h...
See how much of it you can see in todays politics.
No, I did not no about The Wedge Strategy. As a Christian and concerned American about the way our society's moral decline.
Over the last six decades with the breakthroughs in science and technology that have added so much that is good and helpful in our lives, I also see the downside and materialism and secularism leaving us with a culture of young (and old) who are focused on self gratification, materialism, drug experimentation, movies full of sexual immorality and degrading of the human to animalistic behavior and violence.
I see no conspiracy in the Wedge Strategy. I see a group of committed believers in a Creator trying to bring something back to our society that is obviously much needed as our world grows angrier and more and more bent toward self gratification without social responsibility.
I did not see anything that would take away the rights of people to reject the theory of Intelligent Design, only that we stop the elimination of all things Christian in what started out and thrived to become the most influential and powerful nation in the world. One established on Freedom of Religion. Many non-religious people want to have Freedom From Religion.
Individual freedom exists in religion and sports, and cultural activities.
That is what America is all about. I'm not crazy about football or the color orange, but I don't consider it my right to protest others enthusiasm and participation.
I can participate by attending a game, watching it on TV, wearing orange and drinking beer; or I can grab my gear and go fishing ( for which I have to pay for a license). It is called freedom of choice. PEACE!

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176503 Aug 3, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I did not no about The Wedge Strategy. As a Christian and concerned American about the way our society's moral decline.
Over the last six decades with the breakthroughs in science and technology that have added so much that is good and helpful in our lives, I also see the downside and materialism and secularism leaving us with a culture of young (and old) who are focused on self gratification, materialism, drug experimentation, movies full of sexual immorality and degrading of the human to animalistic behavior and violence.
I see no conspiracy in the Wedge Strategy. I see a group of committed believers in a Creator trying to bring something back to our society that is obviously much needed as our world grows angrier and more and more bent toward self gratification without social responsibility.
I did not see anything that would take away the rights of people to reject the theory of Intelligent Design, only that we stop the elimination of all things Christian in what started out and thrived to become the most influential and powerful nation in the world. One established on Freedom of Religion. Many non-religious people want to have Freedom From Religion.
Individual freedom exists in religion and sports, and cultural activities.
That is what America is all about. I'm not crazy about football or the color orange, but I don't consider it my right to protest others enthusiasm and participation.
I can participate by attending a game, watching it on TV, wearing orange and drinking beer; or I can grab my gear and go fishing ( for which I have to pay for a license). It is called freedom of choice. PEACE!
Freedom of religion must also entail Freedom from religion or it is not freedom at all.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176504 Aug 3, 2014
Does freedom of football include freedom from football?
Does freedom of speech also include freedom from speech?
Does freedom of Atheism also include freedom from Atheism?
Does freedom of choice also include freedom from choice.
Hmmm, life free of choices, easy but boring. We are not robots, yet!
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176505 Aug 3, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom of religion must also entail Freedom from religion or it is not freedom at all.
I think atheists can be very selfish with their "freedoms." We do share this planet with lots of different people with lots of different worldviews.
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176506 Aug 3, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
If you actually "know God" as you say, you should be able to prove he exists .... I'll wait....
Who am I to be able to prove God.
God does not need me to prove his existance! God has proven it a million times over. Evidently, God remains a mystery to you. The fact that you can't see Him is a mystery to me.
Why don't you prove God doesn't exist. Yeah, why don't you do that ? Lol
Christian

Knoxville, TN

#176507 Aug 3, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much indeed!
If Christian really had concerns about teaching science in classes and separation of state and religion, he apparently has wrong priorities. Instead of debating evolutionists, he better starts to worry about his fellow believers who make a mess out of everything.
Your world must be very small if in it you see Christians ( my fellow believers) making a mess of everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 23 min MIDutch 164,928
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr Frindly 3,269
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Frindly 83,837
No Evidence for Creation, a Global Flood, Tower... 2 hr Dogen 40
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 21 hr MIDutch 1,996
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Tue Regolith Based Li... 223,191
Time Dec 9 THANKS 2
More from around the web