Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#175672 Jun 23, 2014
Ima Bach wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need apologetics or invented stories to know the difference between the Israelites and Al Qaeda. Nor, do either of us know how God will ultimately judge any individual.
And, again, you have to go back to the Old covenant/Old Testament to justify your arrogance toward God. Those were ancient times , ancient customs, Old Covenant ways of dealing with blasphemy, idolatry, immorality, etc. Today, we need to remember the and appreciate the Old and understand how it applies to the New. But, we have also chosen to accept Jesus Christ as the one who came to Earth in the form of a man so that we could understand the true nature of a God.
If you don't choose to believe in Christ, then what you say makes sense. I do choose to believe that Christ was who He said He was. Therefore I see god the way Jesus showed Him to be. Compare the Quran and the New Testament. End of story! Peace!

This is a fairly common pseudo-christian misunderstanding: that we have the new deal and are not fully under the old deal. Even a cursory reading of your Bible (without being indoctrinated by a particular religious system) would clear this up. Reflect on the words of Jesus and believe what he said. He was (and is) the direct source. His words on the law stand to this day regardless of the pablum written later for the 'Greek' masses.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#175673 Jun 23, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that film transparent? Is it in color or black and white? How far away from the wall is the film? How far behind the film is the light? How far away is the wall from the film?

Not relevant based on your own misunderstanding nor to the point being made.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#175674 Jun 23, 2014
Ima Bach wrote:
<quoted text>
A person who chooses faith in God does not have to deny scientific evidence.
I think it is when you ridicule the Bible that we take literally ( because we believe that God created everything and therefore is not limited by the physical or natural realm we can see) that is when the problem begins.
Maybe God "smiles" when we take The Bible literally, when it makes no sense to our natural mind. Just like the childlike faith He says we must have to believe. If God is God He is not limited by time or space or our ability to understand (science, for example).
If God had wanted to teach us a lesson using flying pigs, God could make pigs fly! That is what choosing FAITH in a Creator gives us, childlike faith. You can't have childlike faith without humility, even though it is in The Creator of the Universe (and beyond). The creator of what we can see and understand, and what we cannot see nor understand.
So since the spiritual world has no evidence in the physical world, it can be or demand of us anything you want it to. IC .... interesting .... not!

Level 5

#175675 Jun 23, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is a God, and he created this universe, then HOW He did it is revealed in the clues He made available in the universe itself, and He gave us eyes and brains to figure it out. On the other hand, if you prefer to think of yourself as a silly kitten giving God warm fuzzies because you cutely insist on believing a bunch of fairy stories about Him that were written by some ancient semitic tribes...then go for it. Frankly to me your attitude shows no respect for God or the truth, you are an idolater of ancient scripts.
You do not have to deny science to believe in God, but you have to deny scientific evidence to believe in ancient Biblical fairy stories as anything more than allegories.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

Thomas Jefferson
Ima Bach

Knoxville, TN

#175676 Jun 23, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And this isn't judging?
<quoted text>
How do you know that some people who pray do or do not believe? Seems rather judgmental to me.
<quoted text>
Not sure what this has to do with anything under discussion.
<quoted text>
Of course not.
<quoted text>
I'm not trying to be harsh. I just find your beliefs to be very selective and, at times, naive.
Is there a difference between naivety and childlike faith?
Everyone who prays does not pray to the same entity.
Beliefs must be selective when it comes to faith.
I'd love more knowledge and understanding of science. What little I do know, I find fascinating. And I admire and respect scientists who do not believe in a creator and do not ridicule those who do.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#175677 Jun 23, 2014
Ima Bach wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell me. Naivety implies gullibility,
Ima Bach wrote:
Yeah, so?
Ima Bach wrote:
Really? SO it's OK to believe some of the bible it dead on accurate but other parts are not? If so, I agree with you.
Ima Bach wrote:
I'd love more knowledge and understanding of science. What little I do know, I find fascinating. And I admire and respect scientists who do not believe in a creator and do not ridicule those who do.
As do I. However, I am not ridiculing your faith. I am questioning your basis for it and the assumptions you make about others.

By the way, did Noah's flood really happen?

Level 5

#175678 Jun 23, 2014
Ima Bach wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not a realistic expectation. Science is all about finding theories that are supported by verifiable evidence and rejecting those that are not. Religion is all about believing something is true with NO verifiable evidence. There is much to ridicule.
One way or another

United States

#175679 Jun 23, 2014
One has to wonder what the evolutionist are drinking, as they believe in the evolutionist fairy tales they are taught.

Red shift claims to support the Big Bang, but it has no evidence, because blueshift is the opposite.

Einstein's theories have no proof and yet, the evolutionist children believe every word they are told by science.

Now that's quite a religion.

St. James, NY

#175680 Jun 23, 2014
One has to wonder what the evolutionist are drinking, as they believe in the evolutionist fairy tales they are taught.
Red shift claims to support the Big Bang, but it has no evidence, because blueshift is the opposite.
Einstein's theories have no proof and yet, the evolutionist children believe every word they are told by science.
You do realize that biology and astronomy/astrophysics are different disciplines, right?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#175681 Jun 23, 2014
Don't you EVER get tired of being stupid?
One way or another

United States

#175682 Jun 23, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that biology and astronomy/astrophysics are different disciplines, right?
Precisely, evolution is a fairytale. Even Einstein was only partially correct about gravity and light theory, but science, just like religion, depends on faith. There is no proof for Einstein's theory on white and neither is there proof for is the area on gravity.

It is accepted on faith alone.

Besides that different disciplines in science contradict each other at times. Sometimes this happens within the same discipline.

Science concentrates on the minutia in each discipline many times, missing the overall picture.

Evolution had to insinuate itself into all the other sciences, because it could never stand alone.

That's a challenge to evolution, but evolution will ignore it, because it knows it cannot stand alone.
One way or another

United States

#175683 Jun 23, 2014
Evolution has insinuated itself into most every discipline within science. Think about this, is biology and most all other disciplines in all other disciplines within science? Is astrophysics in most other disciplines within science, is there any other discipline that is within so many other disciplines in science?

The answer is no, because they don't belong there.

If evolution were a true science, it could standalone.
One way or another

United States

#175684 Jun 23, 2014
I have to correct myself. All sciences should question all other sciences, in the name of the common good, but each knows that if it does question any other science, those other disiplines will come at that discipline.

It is exactly as our government, and that no part of the government will question other parts of the government, because those other parts within the government will come after the one part that started the questioning.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#175685 Jun 23, 2014
I have to correct myself. All sciences should question all other sciences, in the name of the common good, but each knows that if it does question any other science, those other disiplines will come at that discipline.
It is exactly as our government, and that no part of the government will question other parts of the government, because those other parts within the government will come after the one part that started the questioning.
Oneway did you try the experiment I proposed to you? What happened if you did?
One way or another

United States

#175686 Jun 23, 2014
Why don't you try some time to stand up to a judge and tell the judge that he or she is wrong and explain why. You know that if you do that judge Cannon will cite you for contempt of court, whether you are right a wrong. They can have you put in prison and beaten or killed, by the inmates. Of course all of that will be done through back channels.

Freedom of speech, yeah right. Judges are nothing more than crooked lawyers, protecting those that vote them into office.

Man is fully corrupt, especially when most of his laws are built around loopholes, made by those that pretend to love the law. Our laws are full of loopholes as everyone knows.

There are no checks and balances.

Science is just like the law, fully corrupt, for the sake of each discipline.

St. James, NY

#175687 Jun 23, 2014
Why don't you try some time to stand up to a judge and tell the judge that he or she is wrong and explain why. You know that if you do that judge Cannon will cite you for contempt of court, whether you are right a wrong. They can have you put in prison and beaten or killed, by the inmates. Of course all of that will be done through back channels.
Freedom of speech, yeah right. Judges are nothing more than crooked lawyers, protecting those that vote them into office.
Man is fully corrupt, especially when most of his laws are built around loopholes, made by those that pretend to love the law. Our laws are full of loopholes as everyone knows.
There are no checks and balances.
Science is just like the law, fully corrupt, for the sake of each discipline.
A check already exists, a place where you can explain where a judge was wrong. It's called appellate court.

St. James, NY

#175688 Jun 23, 2014
<quoted text>
Precisely, evolution is a fairytale. Even Einstein was only partially correct about gravity and light theory, but science, just like religion, depends on faith. There is no proof for Einstein's theory on white and neither is there proof for is the area on gravity.
It is accepted on faith alone.
Besides that different disciplines in science contradict each other at times. Sometimes this happens within the same discipline.
Science concentrates on the minutia in each discipline many times, missing the overall picture.
Evolution had to insinuate itself into all the other sciences, because it could never stand alone.
That's a challenge to evolution, but evolution will ignore it, because it knows it cannot stand alone.
Where in any of Einstein's Theories is there anything to do with Evolution?
Ima Bach

Knoxville, TN

#175689 Jun 23, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a fairly common pseudo-christian misunderstanding: that we have the new deal and are not fully under the old deal. Even a cursory reading of your Bible (without being indoctrinated by a particular religious system) would clear this up. Reflect on the words of Jesus and believe what he said. He was (and is) the direct source. His words on the law stand to this day regardless of the pablum written later for the 'Greek' masses.
So, you do not believe in the five fundamentals of the a Christian Faith, but suggest we reflect on the words of Jesus and believe what He said?
One way or another

United States

#175690 Jun 23, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
A check already exists, a place where you can explain where a judge was wrong. It's called appellate court.
Actually it was two judges, one in small claims court and one in the court where an ex-wife decided that she would take everything because her son was a deputy sheriff. However in the latter case that's not all that happened.

To get to it appellate court, you have to have a lawyer. Have you ever wondered why the lawyers started the saying, that if you represent yourself, you have a fool for a lawyer?

These lawyers pretend to stand on principle integrity and justice. However our laws made by them are built around loopholes. Try bringing that up in court and see where that gets you.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can speak pretty well for myself. Considering all we see here, it's not difficult to understand what the truth is, if a person has a brain and they're willing to look beyond what they are taught to believe from first grade.

You are the reason these tyrants exist. You look away every time they allow a cop to walk away from a murder or they allow a judge to get away with taking bribes or there's two laws for different people depending on what you have money or not connections or not, it's in the news every day, if you but look.

Don't look, because it will keep getting worse. Are you willing to standalone against such?
One way or another

United States

#175691 Jun 23, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in any of Einstein's Theories is there anything to do with Evolution?
Einstein's theories are used to bolster evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min Dogen 83,203
SEX did not EVOLVE 6 min Dogen 165
The Human Brain did not Evolve.. 16 min Dogen 347
All humans come from Tennessee 1 hr Science 4
What Evidence Does David Jay Jordan Present Aga... 1 hr Science 1
Is David Jay Jordan a scientist? 1 hr Science 1
Science Supporters are anti-conspiracy theorist... 1 hr Science 2
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr Science 223,039
Bible 'Science' Verses opposing the Evolution R... 2 hr Science 193
More from around the web