Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#175468 Jun 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Well. then, it stands to reason that...
You should start paying attention to it then... aye swabbie?
I'm not a Swabby, I was a licensed hundred ton captain for 10 years. I ran tugs and fishing vessels, part time.
One way or another

United States

#175469 Jun 16, 2014
By the way little one they don't allow licensed hundred ton captains to have mental issues, but keep trying, your ignorance looks good on you.
One way or another

United States

#175470 Jun 16, 2014
A little more information. The earth will not survive the global killer that is upon us. The earth will die. It could be in 50 years or 250 years, if science does not recognize what's happening and fix it.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#175471 Jun 16, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a Swabby, I was a licensed hundred ton captain for 10 years. I ran tugs and fishing vessels, part time.
I was pretty sure you were really good a tug jobs.
One way or another

United States

#175472 Jun 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I was pretty sure you were really good a tug jobs.
I cannot expect anything else. Many scientists say it is greenhouse gases, while others contradict them.

If you cannot see the entire puzzle or at least most of it, you will never have a chance of understanding it.

Much of science is engaged in fairytales, while many disciplines in science contradict each other. These things are right out in the open for all to see.

But I will tell you what will happen. Neither side will be able to prove what they claim, so greenhouse gases will win the day, for the sake of more taxes and the stock market, that will simply control and take as much as it chooses.

I have one idea left and that is, it's possible you will see it in the movies. However, it's not likely, but there is a chance. It would make one hell of a movie.
One way or another

Sarasota, FL

#175473 Jun 16, 2014
As each year progresses, the weather will get worse.
One way or another

Sarasota, FL

#175474 Jun 16, 2014
It is possible that there will be lulls in the weather at certain times, but the progression must get worse.
One way or another

United States

#175475 Jun 16, 2014
Most of what is taught today is based on the so-called giants of yesteryear, but they are not here. They were not privy to all that can Be seen today. Therefore, sciences copy and paste of yesteryear is what dooms tomorrow, because they will focus on what they know, and that is all they know.

No class in any countries schools teach how to think for oneself. It teaches how to copy and paste, what ever the each government chooses. Each government is self-serving and they control the schools and what is taught.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#175476 Jun 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Oneway you are not helping your self any.

You say "I was a licensed hundred ton captain for 10 years"

and then say "they don't allow licensed hundred ton captains to have mental issues,"

No one here is saying you always had mental issues, they are saying you do now,,, which may be why you "were licensed"

Don't leave your self so wide open for a punch.
One way or another

United States

#175477 Jun 17, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Oneway you are not helping your self any.
You say "I was a licensed hundred ton captain for 10 years"
and then say "they don't allow licensed hundred ton captains to have mental issues,"
No one here is saying you always had mental issues, they are saying you do now,,, which may be why you "were licensed"
Don't leave your self so wide open for a punch.
Gosh Sigmund thanks. Why don't you take a shot at proving it? I've written quite a few pieces containing new thoughts on this board. It should be easy for someone like you to refute what I have claimed and offer your own thinking, right? Keep copy and pasting what the other children have told you, it suits you. Laughing out loud.

Any time you get a hankering to discuss psychology, just give me a shout.

Tell us, what is the lesson of good cop bad cop.
One way or another

United States

#175478 Jun 17, 2014
Here is another one, what is the lesson of the teachers pet?
Mugwump

Croydon, UK

#175479 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Gosh Sigmund thanks.

<edit>
Actually , for jimbo that is funny

The rest is the usual unsupported nonsense but credit where credit is due

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#175480 Jun 17, 2014
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>Actually , for jimbo that is funny

The rest is the usual unsupported nonsense but credit where credit is due
He probably copy/pasted it from somewhere.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#175481 Jun 17, 2014
Most of what is taught today is based on the so-called giants of yesteryear, but they are not here. They were not privy to all that can Be seen today. Therefore, sciences copy and paste of yesteryear is what dooms tomorrow, because they will focus on what they know, and that is all they know.
No class in any countries schools teach how to think for oneself. It teaches how to copy and paste, what ever the each government chooses. Each government is self-serving and they control the schools and what is taught.
I have previously shown that you are full of shit on this matter. Repeating the same lie over and over does not make you less full of shit but more full of shit.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#175482 Jun 17, 2014
Oh, here we go again. His old "teacher's pet" whine.

Yes, Jimmy, we know your teachers didn't like you. Evidently with good reason.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Level 1

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#175483 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Never mind that I just posted a few of the pieces that I've written which, if you had rebuttal you would've used it.
Horseshit !!!

You assume I read all your crap.
You are mistaken. Your "pieces" are not all that interesting, and you assume yourself fascinating and overestimate your ability in civil discourse.

I am simply not interested in rebuttal of any of your crap. it is not worth my time.
One way or another

United States

#175484 Jun 17, 2014
Psychologically speaking, we can learn so much about ourselves and other individuals online, because we are not face-to-face.

If you are online for long enough, you understand when to speak and when to hold your peace, but it does take time at least for me. However, that all depends on what each person brings to the board.

If one person brings more let's say then the rest, the rest will come against the one or at best, some of the people may say nothing. Most people fear the repercussions of any group, no matter whether they are childish or not.

If anyone is seen as siding with the person that brings more, they are immediately attacked. Groups of people know this and they use it heavily, because they have little else.

Groups of people want you to fight with you, in order for the group to feel superior. Their numbers will press upon you until you either relent and go away or say nothing, unless and until you acquiesce to their demands.

The only time a person has a chance at overcoming a group, is if they have a lot more to offer. Most all of us learn to either fight or to simply say nothing in the face of adversity. It is only when a person learns to pick and choose their fight or fights, unless a moderator is intelligent enough to know when and how to adjust to each situation.

Online is going to be the best way to test what each person knows and does not know. In my case it has taken quite a few years to adjust, because my life has pretty much been a constant battle, unfortunately. I used to fight with the children here at the drop of a hat, but now I just let most of it go by the wayside, picking and choosing what I choose to speak too.

Most people never realized they are their own worst enemies, just as I was for so long. Most of us are pitted against each other pretty much from birth, even within a family, depending. Siblings argue and fight with each other, parents fight, we fight at work at play at school, with the government, with the law, with most everything. We are not taught to be a society that helps to heal each other mentally physically and emotionally.

I wish you luck in your journey online, it can either teach or destroy.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#175485 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Gosh Sigmund thanks. Why don't you take a shot at proving it? I've written quite a few pieces containing new thoughts on this board. It should be easy for someone like you to refute what I have claimed and offer your own thinking, right? Keep copy and pasting what the other children have told you, it suits you. Laughing out loud.
Any time you get a hankering to discuss psychology, just give me a shout.
Tell us, what is the lesson of good cop bad cop.
The lesson is don't trust any one and always keep your mouth shut. lol

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#175486 Jun 17, 2014
Oh please do tell us "Jim Sly, the Non-Science Guy"

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Level 1

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#175487 Jun 17, 2014
Online is going to be the best way to test what each person knows and does not know.
ROTFLMAO

That's priceless.

Anyone who believes that is too damn naïve to be here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min DanFromSmithville 201,603
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min _Susan_ 40,751
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 26 min Reno Hoock 229
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 44 min _Susan_ 16,200
The conscious God or the inanimate nature 1 hr THE LONE WORKER 49
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... 7 hr Chazofsaints 18
News Book aims to prove existence of God (Nov '09) Wed ChristineM 96
More from around the web