Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180366 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#174306 May 17, 2014
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Demonstrate the other life form you have definitely evolved from please. All those who have had their DNA analysed have been traced back to a human being, so very interested to see where your DNA was derived from.
You do not seem to understand the DNA evidence. You asked a misformed question.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#174307 May 17, 2014
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I got you to admit it is a religion. Now explain the proof in your religion.
I just finished watching a ancient astronaut theorist on the history channel explain why he believes Adam and Eve did exist and were the first intelligent homo sapiens and that they were enticed by a serpent., etc. etc.......it is all in the ancient Samaritan texts found in Nineveh.
Bottom line is we all have our beliefs without positive proof of much as to how humans came to be.
We all have something inside us that tells us what it is we will choose to believe. As long as we don't try to hurt each other with those beliefs, my Bible tells me to (as much as is possible) live at peace with all men.
If we would all do that it would solve our greatest problems on this planet.
Don't you think it is pride in ourselves, our abilities, our intellect, our evidences, our education ultimately our selfish ego that keeps us wanting to show the other how much wiser, smarter, educated, evolved...we are than they are that causes conflict. That along with greed, of course. And greed is a form of pride I think.

It is difficult to have a discussion about science with someone as ignorant of the subject as yourself.

Perhaps you could find a forum in which you have a minimum level of knowledge so you able to contribute to it. I could cite the thousands of journal articles and the research on the big bang, but that would be throwing pearls before swine.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#174308 May 17, 2014
Jacob wrote:
Yo evolution is stupid because when you think of it Who made the Earth?Who made the crazy "big bang"?People! Who made the sun,moon,and water! God did! The water on the earth was by God because no other planet has water do you get my point!

LOL. Nice parody of a brain damaged fundy.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#174309 May 17, 2014
Serah wrote:
ooops; forgot the link...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/ameri...
and while I was at it, thought to add a bit more;
***Cola’s colour comes in part from 4-methylimidazole (4-MI), a chemical that forms in the production of caramel food colouring.
Coca-Cola, Pepsi and other manufacturers insist it is safe at the low doses found in drinks.
But in California they disagree. After studies showed that long-term exposure to the chemical causes lung cancer in rats, health officials ruled that products with more than 29mcg must carry a health warning.
And when research by the Centre for Science in the Public Interest, a campaign group, found cans contained nearly 140mcg, all cola companies across the U.S. were forced to cut levels.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-216...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-216...
taken from this link.
You misspelled "center" of course so did the article that you quoted from:

https://www.cspinet.org/
Seeker

Knoxville, TN

#174310 May 17, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my! Could all of religion be based on that typo??
It was not a typo, you crazy people. Poof/magic...what you accuse Christians of believing in.
Poof as opposed to proof! Hello!
You are good at word games. Doesn't mean you haven't been spoofed by proof of poof. I went to school too.:o0
Seeker

Knoxville, TN

#174311 May 17, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is difficult to have a discussion about science with someone as ignorant of the subject as yourself.
Perhaps you could find a forum in which you have a minimum level of knowledge so you able to contribute to it. I could cite the thousands of journal articles and the research on the big bang, but that would be throwing pearls before swine.
I have no problem ( and have) admitted my lack of knowledge of science. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate science. And, of course science should and always has been a part of the public school system and private schools at every grade level. If all one has is a high school education (or less), he can understand and appreciate science. Science, math, history...probably no one has a problem with science in education, but you guys thing you can twist the words of people who are just being honest about their beliefs to make it appear otherwise.
When you, Dogan, realize how much you don't know you will realize your words are not pearls of wisdom. Quite the contrary in my experienced opinion.
Seeker

Knoxville, TN

#174312 May 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
This duo does some amazing AC/DC covers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uT3SBzmDxGkXX
Maybe it is the heavy metal music that has damaged your brains. Just sayin.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#174313 May 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You misspelled "center" of course so did the article that you quoted from:
https://www.cspinet.org/
I only posted their posting, so misspelled nothing LOL.... I'll also give you a little lesson.

***British and American spelling - Oxford Dictionaries
www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/british-and-...
British and American spelling by Oxford Dictionaries.... centre, center ...

You might also like to know that there are many differences between Australian and American spelling too, especially if you are going to criticise one for their non existent spelling errors.
Seeker

Knoxville, TN

#174314 May 17, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
After five years of posting, I guess it is also difficult to remember the discussion was not begun as a question about science. The question as to whether or not EVOLUTION (my assumption was including the evolution of human beings from swamp algae over millions of years) should be taught ti public school students.
Your proof of evolution and your "proof" of a Big Bang... And, yes, I have read the evidence...are not a threat to my belief in a Creator. Belief in a creator seems to me to fit in very well with the science I do understand . It's not Rocket Science, but it is more than you would probably want to give me or any other "fundie" credit for.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#174315 May 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a misformed question...... no-one has been proven to be a Monkey's Uncle, even though it is a very old saying.

Why, do you think, we all have unique DNA? What would have been the point in evolution? Before answering the question, think how difficult it is to create something unique, and then think about how many people have been born, uniquely, and wonder why evolution would have found that so important.

Consider Matthew telling us that each of the hairs of our heads is numbered (not counted) and consider him correct. Consider the need to record lives, and the magnitude of tomes needed for these records, and then consider a lengthening DNA code, that stems from our Ancestors, and perhaps you could imagine to consider our DNA very much more than you do at the moment.

We are miraculous beings, not flukes of circumstance.....
Seeker

Knoxville, TN

#174316 May 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>

What about the DNA evidence that the DNA that gives us the ability to communicate using language is specific only to humans?
Our closest "relative" ( the chimpanzee) does not have it.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#174317 May 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
This duo does some amazing AC/DC covers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uT3SBzmDxGkXX
Where do you find these? That was awesome! Thanks for sharing the link SZ.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#174318 May 17, 2014
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem ( and have) admitted my lack of knowledge of science. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate science. And, of course science should and always has been a part of the public school system and private schools at every grade level. If all one has is a high school education (or less), he can understand and appreciate science. Science, math, history...probably no one has a problem with science in education, but you guys thing you can twist the words of people who are just being honest about their beliefs to make it appear otherwise.
When you, Dogan, realize how much you don't know you will realize your words are not pearls of wisdom. Quite the contrary in my experienced opinion.
In what way are words being twisted in support of science education?
Seeker

Knoxville, TN

#174319 May 17, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>The big bang is supported by evidence. It is science and should be taught.
Nice, long winded, avoidance of your previous fabrication about stumbling into this forum and the implication that you are drawn, powerless by the other posters here to blast your opinion all over the place.
If you believe as you say you do, why are you so angry and prideful?
"There you go again." I did not blame anyone for drawing me into this conversation. It is so tempting to pull out my fourth grade vocabulary and use it on you, as so many of you seem to enjoy doing to those you disagree with.
You cannot have real evidence that I am angry, because I am not at all angry! Frustrated at times, repulsed at times, but not angry! If this is any indication if what you call evidence, no wonder you are so defensive of your position on so many things.
It is almost midnight. Have a nice day!(Wink and a smile ; )

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#174320 May 17, 2014
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the DNA evidence that the DNA that gives us the ability to communicate using language is specific only to humans?
Yes, because it evolved in the line that became us.

You can't believe away the facts no matter how hard you try.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#174321 May 17, 2014
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
I only posted their posting, so misspelled nothing LOL.... I'll also give you a little lesson.
***British and American spelling - Oxford Dictionaries
www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/british-and-...
British and American spelling by Oxford Dictionaries.... centre, center ...
You might also like to know that there are many differences between Australian and American spelling too, especially if you are going to criticise one for their non existent spelling errors.
So now you are admitting that you plagiarized and misspelled the "center".

It does not matter what your article says since the word that you misspelled was a name place. That means that the proper spelling is as it is spelled at the source. It is incorrect for people from the U.S. to misspell British places that have the word "Centre" as part of their names just as it is improper for British people to misspell proper names of U.S. locales.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#174322 May 17, 2014
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a misformed question...... no-one has been proven to be a Monkey's Uncle, even though it is a very old saying.
Why, do you think, we all have unique DNA? What would have been the point in evolution? Before answering the question, think how difficult it is to create something unique, and then think about how many people have been born, uniquely, and wonder why evolution would have found that so important.
Consider Matthew telling us that each of the hairs of our heads is numbered (not counted) and consider him correct. Consider the need to record lives, and the magnitude of tomes needed for these records, and then consider a lengthening DNA code, that stems from our Ancestors, and perhaps you could imagine to consider our DNA very much more than you do at the moment.
We are miraculous beings, not flukes of circumstance.....
It is misinformed. If someone were shown to be a monkey's uncle in reality, then that would mean that monkeys evolved from us. The fact is that evolutionarily, we are a form of ape and share a common ancestor with them. We are much more distantly related to monkeys as our ancestral lineage diverged from monkeys even further back than our divergence from the ancestor we share with the other apes.

Now I am aware that the nasty details bother you all, but it is based on facts. You can continue to live in ignorance as you see fit, but the facts will not change.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#174323 May 17, 2014
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? We have only a slightly more developed brain than Chimps. The difference is in our DNA.

You still do not understand the DNA evidence.

Can you ask a proper question?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#174324 May 17, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you find these? That was awesome! Thanks for sharing the link SZ.
I heard about them on a local radio station. Check out their channel. Amazing music coming from only 2 cellos and sometimes one drummer.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#174325 May 17, 2014
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
"There you go again." I did not blame anyone for drawing me into this conversation. It is so tempting to pull out my fourth grade vocabulary and use it on you, as so many of you seem to enjoy doing to those you disagree with.
You cannot have real evidence that I am angry, because I am not at all angry! Frustrated at times, repulsed at times, but not angry! If this is any indication if what you call evidence, no wonder you are so defensive of your position on so many things.
It is almost midnight. Have a nice day!(Wink and a smile ; )
Well you implied that the "good people" stumble naively into the threads and become embattled with the "bad people" of science.

I cite the posts on these threads as my evidence. Perhaps not the strongest evidence, but real evidence nonetheless.

I am not one of the Christians on here holding belief up with arrogance, while claiming how Christianity is being beaten down in this country, while I deny science. So, no I am not defensive nor feeling defensive. In fact, my position feels pretty good as it is based on solid evidence.

You have good day too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Subduction Zone 85,440
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 19 min Simon 4,763
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Samuel Patre 165,330
What's your religion? 15 hr Paul Porter1 5
Experiment In Evolution, Genetic Algorithms and... 18 hr was auch immer 8
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 21 hr Dogen 33,127
God hates Tennessee Sun Rev Jackson 2
More from around the web