Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#170038 Mar 9, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The self assembly of amino acids and simple RNA tetraloops is in no way analogous to single cell life self assembly. What you are saying is gross intellectual dishonesty. Evolution cannot be defended without exaggerations, false extrapolations, minimization of biologic complexity, and without overstatements of what props up your worldview. You simplistic analogies are garbage.

You are confusing abiogenesis with evolution again.

And you don't understand either.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#170039 Mar 9, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The article you posted did not show that photosensitive light reception can be reduced to simpler components. It explicitly stated, "...phototransduction, the conversion of light by light-sensitive cells into electrical signals that are sent to the brain." The organism contained a fully developed irreducibly complex system.
Thus, you have yet again failed to counter my allegation that they eye is irreducibly complex.

I have already told you that you are wrong and all you have to do is look at the research. I notice you avoid looking a research like the proverbial plague and hand wave when other bring it up.

I know why you have to resort to that.
Mugwump

Edinburgh, UK

#170040 Mar 9, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The article you posted did not show that photosensitive light reception can be reduced to simpler components. It explicitly stated, "...phototransduction, the conversion of light by light-sensitive cells into electrical signals that are sent to the brain." The organism contained a fully developed irreducibly complex system.
Thus, you have yet again failed to counter my allegation that they eye is irreducibly complex.
You can't help yourself can you doofus.

Your quote

"...phototransduction, the conversion of light by light-sensitive cells into electrical signals that are sent to the brain"

The quote in context.

"Nasi and his wife, MBL adjunct scientist Maria del Pilar Gomez, are interested in phototransduction, the conversion of light by light-sensitive cells into electrical signals that are sent to the brain. The lancelet, also called amphioxus, doesn't have eyes or a true brain."

To re-iterate

"The lancelet, also called amphioxus, doesn't have eyes or a true brain."

Why do you have to lie so much, wouldn't it be less hassle to shut up

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#170041 Mar 9, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is not that data and thinking and reasoning processes are not currently being taught
Certainly not in the special education program you were in.

KAB wrote:
<quoted text>, but rather that, in addition, unconfirmed explanations are also being taught, I understand, as confirmed reality.
Indeed, English is both unconfirmed and being taught as confirmed reality.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#170042 Mar 9, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but the religion of evolution as the explanation for the complete variety of life on Earth is taught in science classes, even to the exclusion of other unconfirmed explanations (religions).

Typical fundy in every way. Same lies, different fundy.

Looks like HTS has converted you to his religion. Cult of the month program.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#170043 Mar 9, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief is not taught in school, that is something a person formulates on their own.
Stick to the evidence and facts, which IS what is taught in school.
I acknowledge it's been a while since I was in school. What ils taught about the cause of the complete variety of life?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#170044 Mar 9, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I acknowledge it's been a while since I was in school. What ils taught about the cause of the complete variety of life?
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#170045 Mar 9, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

The fact of evolution?
HTS

Salt Lake City, UT

#170046 Mar 9, 2014
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't help yourself can you doofus.
Your quote
"...phototransduction, the conversion of light by light-sensitive cells into electrical signals that are sent to the brain"
The quote in context.
"Nasi and his wife, MBL adjunct scientist Maria del Pilar Gomez, are interested in phototransduction, the conversion of light by light-sensitive cells into electrical signals that are sent to the brain. The lancelet, also called amphioxus, doesn't have eyes or a true brain."
To re-iterate
"The lancelet, also called amphioxus, doesn't have eyes or a true brain."
Why do you have to lie so much, wouldn't it be less hassle to shut up
I didn't take anything out of context. The photosensitive organ of the lancelet is still irreducibly complex.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#170047 Mar 9, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth isn't up for debate .
The truth is up for debate if it isn't confirmed.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#170048 Mar 9, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>The truth is up for debate if it isn't confirmed.
Like the Bible...which is NOT confirmed?
FREE SERVANT

United States

#170049 Mar 9, 2014
Gillette wrote:
The question was concerning variety. Evolution does not explain the beginning. The Bible says that the earth was re seeded after a great cataclysm which was called the flood and everything was in kinds from the beginning. This makes sense and is in line with the facts.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#170050 Mar 9, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is up for debate if it isn't confirmed.
Oh it's been confirmed experimentally , physically and scientifically.
It just never passes the godbot sniff test, because the denial and rejection factor of your belief system.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#170051 Mar 9, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't take anything out of context. The photosensitive organ of the lancelet is still irreducibly complex.

Prove it.

Asserting it does not make it so.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#170052 Mar 9, 2014
Okay, Cosmos is over. I am ready to continue making fun of the scientifically ignorant.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#170053 Mar 9, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The question was concerning variety. Evolution does not explain the beginning. The Bible says that the earth was re seeded after a great cataclysm which was called the flood and everything was in kinds from the beginning. This makes sense and is in line with the facts.
Uh.

No...no it does not.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#170054 Mar 9, 2014
Gillette wrote:
It's encouraging that your reference states, "The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor."

What do you suppose the chances are that there are unscrupulous teachers (outside of that small Alabama town of course) who teach it not just as an idea but as fact?

Further, it's discouraging, not to mention biased, that biological evolution is the only idea taught.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#170055 Mar 9, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The question was concerning variety. Evolution does not explain the beginning. The Bible says that the earth was re seeded after a great cataclysm which was called the flood and everything was in kinds from the beginning. This makes sense and is in line with the facts.
Only it doesn't fit the evidence at all, unless you are severely retarded and don't count everything we know about the evolution of the biosphere, microbial life and formation of the animal kingdoms leading to branching species connected by common ancestry.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#170056 Mar 9, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact of evolution?
Check the lesson plan in the reference preceding your post to which I'm responding. It refers to the idea of evolution. Apparently you don't know what they are directed to teach.
FREE SERVANT

United States

#170057 Mar 9, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh.
No...no it does not.
Evolutionists are assuming things that are not reality. Everything works together to reproduce life after its own kinds just like the Bible claims. Evolutionists continue to try and deny the facts and to deny the power of God to work this miracle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Truth is might 201,353
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min Chimney1 40,636
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 57 min Into The Night 16,112
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 1 hr Joncy David 155
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr _Susan_ 151,418
LUCA and more REAL science 18 hr MIDutch 1
Dinosaurs and the Catholic Church 18 hr MIDutch 1
More from around the web