Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#169770 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Read a science.
Please.
If you were in charge of medicine and the way that it is prescribed, what could you add or subtract from the present day form?
One way or another

United States

#169771 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Read a science.
Please.
Since you say no, then surely you have reason, what is that reason?
One way or another

United States

#169772 Mar 7, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No, the best predictions in fact are correct in foreseeing something.
This could be anything from trivial to the quite complex.
But the predictive power or science is a gift beyond human measure. It's in fact fortuitous..
Let us bow our heads in prayer.
One way or another

United States

#169773 Mar 7, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Most medicine will either help hurt or do nothing dependent on the individuals make up.
It is up to each individual to test their medicine before they take full doses just from my perspective.
Neither you nor the AMA understands how to prescribe medicine depending on the medicine.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#169774 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Let us bow our heads in prayer.
Your bowing is a great expectation, however none of mine.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#169775 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
If you were in charge of medicine and the way that it is prescribed, what could you add or subtract from the present day form?

It is a shame that natural treatments are often overlooked because they cannot be controlled by the FDA which places doctors more at risk for recommending them. Big pharma cannot make money off natural treatments unless they modify them in some way (not always for the better) so they can get the patent on them. There is no easy solution to the current problems.

My Dr once wanted to prescribe a drug company formulary for niacin which is less effective than what I can buy over the counter for less money.

More doctors are learning more about, and are more often recommending, non-prescription treatments which is a good thing when they are effective and safe.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#169776 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Neither you nor the AMA understands how to prescribe medicine depending on the medicine.

Do you know you are talking to yourself?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#169777 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Since you say no, then surely you have reason, what is that reason?

The reason IS reason.

One can make accurate predications using science.

I predict if I run a dc current through salt water I will get gas made up of oxygen and hydrogen and a NaCl residue.

That is science.
One way or another

United States

#169778 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a shame that natural treatments are often overlooked because they cannot be controlled by the FDA which places doctors more at risk for recommending them. Big pharma cannot make money off natural treatments unless they modify them in some way (not always for the better) so they can get the patent on them. There is no easy solution to the current problems.
My Dr once wanted to prescribe a drug company formulary for niacin which is less effective than what I can buy over the counter for less money.
More doctors are learning more about, and are more often recommending, non-prescription treatments which is a good thing when they are effective and safe.
Wait, what?

Nowhere did I say anything about natural medicines, I spoke about medicine that the doctors and the AMA prescribed. Please learn to read and comprehend thank you.
One way or another

United States

#169780 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason IS reason.
One can make accurate predications using science.
I predict if I run a dc current through salt water I will get gas made up of oxygen and hydrogen and a NaCl residue.
That is science.
Perhaps someone taught you that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#169782 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Wait, what?
Nowhere did I say anything about natural medicines, I spoke about medicine that the doctors and the AMA prescribed. Please learn to read and comprehend thank you.

I never suggested that you were talking about natural medicine.

Please learn to read and comprehend thank you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#169783 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Perhaps someone taught you that.

Did it for a science fair.
One way or another

United States

#169784 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did you say what you did here, in response to what I wrote?

<quoted text>

One way or another

United States

#169785 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
One way or another

United States

#169786 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it for a science fair.
Buy your innuendo in a recent past post, you claimed you had a crystal ball and that science did too.
One way or another

United States

#169787 Mar 7, 2014
If I did have something that the AMA did not know, would they be too embarrassed to accept it and change, if it could be proven?

Is that why science never allows a challenge to Einstein?
One way or another

United States

#169788 Mar 7, 2014
Ok topix, I'll stop posting.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#169789 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>

You asked an open ended question and got a free form answer. What is the problem, exactly?
KAB

Oxford, NC

#169790 Mar 7, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
There would be no difference. That is why kids have a winter break and not a christmas break.
How does time away from school relate to teaching or addressing religious subject matter at school?
KAB

Oxford, NC

#169791 Mar 7, 2014
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing stopping you from Goggling Francis Collins and going to his website yourself, is there?
<quoted text>
Nope. No need for :faith." We've got tons of EVIDENCE in fossils and DNA accumulated over 150 years -- an overwhelming amount.
No need for faith when you've got evidence.
Until the evidence is conclusive (i.e., by definition there can be no other answer) faith, by definition, is required to accept a conclusion, just as you have faith that macro-evolution is how the complete variety of life has come to be, even tho it has never been observed in any data.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min lightbeamrider 171,595
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? 35 min Paul Porter1 27
Darwin, Marx, and Freud 43 min Paul Porter1 4
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr DanFromSmithville 142,483
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 4 hr Paul Porter1 213
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Paul Porter1 20,497
Beware of Kamikaze Snakes. They Are Evolving in... 10 hr Zog Has-fallen 4
More from around the web