Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179619 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#166834 Feb 19, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>One of the most profound insights of the Bible in regards to the way nature works (in my view) comes from the mind of Solomon, and we read it in Ecclesiastes 1:6&7&8&9 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits. All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again. All.things are full of labour; man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Evolutionists do not agree with the fact that All things work from patterns of former things that were created in full form. Most people who believe in Evolution claim that life began very simple and then became more complex in a linear fashion, instead of being reproduced cyclically.
Some I agree with, some I would challenge, for the sake of understanding. Work first.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#166835 Feb 19, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>One of the most profound insights of the Bible in regards to the way nature works (in my view) comes from the mind of Solomon, and we read it in Ecclesiastes 1:6&7&8&9 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits. All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again. All.things are full of labour; man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Evolutionists do not agree with the fact that All things work from patterns of former things that were created in full form. Most people who believe in Evolution claim that life began very simple and then became more complex in a linear fashion, instead of being reproduced cyclically.
There are cycles in nature that are supported by evidence. But evolution is not believed in the sense you claim. The changes in living things explained by evolution are supported by evidence. You apparently do not accept the natural world based on evidence and favor an explanation that is vacuous, mysterious and with no solid basis. There is no evidence that life on earth has developed in the manner you suggest. This pattern hypothesis is just a myth. Like all myths it may have a core of reality, but beyond that core it is just flowery, technical-sounding fancy.
KAB

United States

#166836 Feb 19, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You have to ask? Asteroid or comet hits the Earth. It surprises the heck out of quartz. It is shocked as a result.
Seriously a meteor strike will make a small amount of shocked quartz. A asteroid or comet will make a lot more.
Is that what you are asking about?
No, I'm asking why the shocked quartz is above the clay if the clay was blasted into the atmosphere at the same time?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#166837 Feb 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> We expect you to settle in a retirement home in Florida just like the rest of the brainless fundies just like you.
}-/ We've got more than enough brainless fundies already, TYVM. There is no need to dump the doddering and senile ones on us, too.
KAB

United States

#166838 Feb 19, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What audience???
I am bored with this guy too.
No soup for you.
The "audience" starts with those on the scene who experienced the incident(s) and extends to those who wrote what was experienced and finally to those reading the account(s).
FREE SERVANT

United States

#166839 Feb 19, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>There are cycles in nature that are supported by evidence. But evolution is not believed in the sense you claim. The changes in living things explained by evolution are supported by evidence. You apparently do not accept the natural world based on evidence and favor an explanation that is vacuous, mysterious and with no solid basis. There is no evidence that life on earth has developed in the manner you suggest. This pattern hypothesis is just a myth. Like all myths it may have a core of reality, but beyond that core it is just flowery, technical-sounding fancy.
Evolution is a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations, while this is fact, the change only moves following a set of patterns which prescribe these movements and all things labor and cycle.
KAB

United States

#166840 Feb 19, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. We talk about it all the time. All you characters what to do is blame everything on atheism. In spite of the fact that many here are not atheists.
I find it hysterically funny that you call branches of science you disagree with a "religion" using it as a pejorative. Better have that foot looked after.
I don't use the label "religion" as a pejorative. I use it as a legitimate and respectful label to identify anything which requires faith to believe, such as mindless evolution being soley responsible for the complete variety of life on Earth.
KAB

United States

#166841 Feb 19, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
And precisely the same applies to you. Ergo in accordance with your own rules no-one can really tell what it really means even though the thing's already been changed into English FOR you.
<quoted text>
Thus only demonstrating that you are just another fundie claiming to have the "correct" understanding. Catholics say they do. Protestants say they do. Jehovas Witnesses say they do. Mormons say they do. SDA's say they do. Flat Earthers say they do. And so on and so forth as we encompass every single Christian denomination and sect worldwide.
The rest of us however can simply point out that all their opinions (including yours) are just as valid as each other. And we can therefore dismiss them all as they are all inconsistent with each other, again, despite it already being changed into English FOR them. So once more you are left with a non-falsifiable theology which is no more bearing on reality than Islam, Hinduism or the Greek pantheon.(shrug)
Mine is not an opinion, but we can't make any progress testing that without data, and you provided none. Pick a specific example, and we'll test them all, Catholic, Protestant, JW, Mormon, SDA, FEs, you name it. What are you afraid of that you only want to make assertions but won't risk testing them? I know it allows you to feel safe believing your assertions as if they are correct. Testing is the only way to confirm. Are you Dude enough to risk it, or does that handle apply in name only?
FREE SERVANT

United States

#166842 Feb 19, 2014
Most Evolutionist find issues with the idea that life has always had different forms or types from the beginning. Today we see differing living things and they are of their same general kind or sort. Evolutionists insist they have evidence that all various groups of plants or animals were not in variety at the start. This is a body of tenets which is a statement that reality of phenomenon when based on examination of evidence is accepted by them. When a careful attention to their evidence is considered it looks to be thrown together and is inference from defective or presumptive conjecture. No matter what they claim, they can not say factually how it really was at the beginning.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#166843 Feb 19, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't use the label "religion" as a pejorative. I use it as a legitimate and respectful label to identify anything which requires faith to believe, such as mindless evolution being soley responsible for the complete variety of life on Earth.
"Religion" indicates the worship of an ideology or deity. As there is no ideology or deity associated with the ToE, I refute your claim that you did not intend "religion" as a pejorative.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#166844 Feb 19, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:

This guy gets my vote as the biggest nutbag we have to deal with.

Even marksman and Jim are not so disconnected from reality.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#166845 Feb 19, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm asking why the shocked quartz is above the clay if the clay was blasted into the atmosphere at the same time?

I would imagine that the particle size of the quartz is larger than the clay.....
HTS

Sidney, MT

#166846 Feb 19, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy gets my vote as the biggest nutbag we have to deal with.
Even marksman and Jim are not so disconnected from reality.
Dogen, you can join the ranks of the Dude as an irrelevant troll.
Your anti-science bigoted rhetoric is nothing but a distraction.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#166847 Feb 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religion" indicates the worship of an ideology or deity. As there is no ideology or deity associated with the ToE, I refute your claim that you did not intend "religion" as a pejorative.
Many who embrace evolution worship natural selection.
Intellectual elites are worshipped.
The ideology of Darwinism is absolute materialism.
If evolution were not a religion to you, you would not be on this forum spending your time defending it from "infidels." Your obvious emotional attachment to it proves that you are religiously devoted to it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#166848 Feb 19, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine is not an opinion, but we can't make any progress testing that without data, and you provided none. Pick a specific example, and we'll test them all, Catholic, Protestant, JW, Mormon, SDA, FEs, you name it. What are you afraid of that you only want to make assertions but won't risk testing them? I know it allows you to feel safe believing your assertions as if they are correct. Testing is the only way to confirm. Are you Dude enough to risk it, or does that handle apply in name only?

They all fail.

They all fail regardless of if you consider the Bible to be a literal document or not.

Mormons and JW fail the worst. SDA and Catholics are next in line.

You have no data.
You want no data.
You can't deal with data.

All you have is assertions in the guise of data.

Remember your failure with buoyancy?

How about your failure as a human being by being duped into a mind control cult. Was that logical? Did you go with the REAL data or did they keep feeding you stuff an 'allowing' you to confirm what they knew you would find.

Sneaky, but not someone with any brain at all should have fallen into.

Anything you say here is tainted by that. I really don't even feel I need to refute you because you have already demonstrated your mind has been corrupted by a group who's biggest claim to fame is lying and knocking on doors.

JW Jokes
How do you know when a JW is lying?
Their lips are moving!

How do you know when a JW is telling the truth?
Their eyes glaze over and they are speechless.

How do you know if a JW is committing perjury?
Their lips are moving.

What do JWs do in a Christian church?
Burst into flames.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#166849 Feb 19, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen, you can join the ranks of the Dude as an irrelevant troll.
Your anti-science bigoted rhetoric is nothing but a distraction.

I'm sorry I left you off my list of nutbags. I just consider you to be more of an emotional fundy troll than a nutbag as you never provide anything.

I know it hurts to be typecast.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#166850 Feb 19, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

A lie.

biology is based on evidence. You hate evidence so you hate biology.

Prove me wrong, dub.

I know, calling you a dub is a badge of honor for you. Your cult tells you that you will be persecuted for your beliefs and of course you are. But not because your beliefs are religious, but because they are bat guano crazy.

Easy enough to deny, isn't it?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#166851 Feb 19, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If evolution were not a religion to you, you would not be on this forum spending your time defending it from "infidels." Your obvious emotional attachment to it proves that you are religiously devoted to it.

You just want to bring science down to your level. But we know better. Science is based on evidence. Religion is based on faith in things man has made up and claimed is divine.

You worship a BOOK.
KAB worships a rhetoric publishing company.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#166852 Feb 19, 2014
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You never relinked the article so I have no idea what you are talking about.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#166853 Feb 19, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, Dogen. He is a HUGE nutbag.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min emperorjohn 13,297
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr DREDD JUDGE 197,404
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Regolith Based Li... 150,971
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr renee 31,281
Evolution in action 16 hr MIDutch 1
News RANT: Is "global warming" today's version of th... May 25 bearings 2
Another "gap" gets closed May 24 MIDutch 1
More from around the web