Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180363 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#160715 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
On this I agree with you - its a pity. And kids think poncing around in Glee performances is cool while being interested in science and engineering makes you a nerd.
The news media completely ignored the space program the last few years. Obama canceled the shuttle replacement and shut down Cape Canaveral. Very sad. Our brightest scientists and engineers out of work. Kennedy Space Center is basically a amusement park now. I don't live very far from there. I visit regularly and it's a ghost town. Cheap real estate for sale and foreclosures everywhere. Very sad.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#160716 Dec 31, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
And twenty years from now those nerds will be successful while those kids still have nothing but their glee performances to ponce around and are getting no where..
Yep, more's the pity. Then if they are lucky, they will get to wait on tables where Indian and Chinese American engineers are enjoying a good dinner.

Level 6

Location hidden

#160717 Dec 31, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
While on the mosquito subject how does the mosquito pass on plagues and other diseases? My understanding is from the blood they suck up from the host, which is not introduced to air/oxygen and then land on another host and the first thing they do is to inject blood from the last host into the new host with their non-clotting enzymes. What do you all think about that?
I took anti-malarial pills for several weeks while working in a part of Africa. Then I gave them up because they made me feel like crap and relied on not being out at dawn or dusk, and smearing anti-mos stuff all over my face and hands etc.

Its a nasty business. Good on (atheists) Bill Gates and Warren Buffet for donating billions to fight this scourge.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160718 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I was saying that the already well known existence of mosquitos sealed in amber, with blood remnants intact, was already known to science. Therefore the possibility that blood remnants could also be preserved in another non-porous fossil medium is not out of bounds.
Come on, nothing is "non-porous" enough to preserve blood for millions of years. It makes no sense. Ever looked through a electron microscope? Doesn't look very sealed at 10 million times magnification! Think about that!

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#160719 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, more's the pity. Then if they are lucky, they will get to wait on tables where Indian and Chinese American engineers are enjoying a good dinner.
Oh but success does not always mean right. If success always means right then our government in the US is never wrong for everyone in office prior and present are successful and have much wealth.:-)

Level 6

Location hidden

#160720 Dec 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The news media completely ignored the space program the last few years. Obama canceled the shuttle replacement and shut down Cape Canaveral. Very sad. Our brightest scientists and engineers out of work. Kennedy Space Center is basically a amusement park now. I don't live very far from there. I visit regularly and it's a ghost town. Cheap real estate for sale and foreclosures everywhere. Very sad.
I agree wholeheartedly. But the problem is deeper, since the Shuttles were already old technology. Where was the replacement for these 1970's technologies being developed in the 80s and 90s???

On another note, its interesting how unpredictable technology is. When I was a kid nobody even thought about supercomputers on every desk top (and now in every phone)...but we all thought there would be a moon base by 2014!!!!
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160721 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I imagine there are a few of our brightest rocket scientists bagging groceries at the local supermarket.

No more inspired, bright-eyed American kids dreaming of becoming an astronaut.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160722 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I took anti-malarial pills for several weeks while working in a part of Africa. Then I gave them up because they made me feel like crap and relied on not being out at dawn or dusk, and smearing anti-mos stuff all over my face and hands etc.
Its a nasty business. Good on (atheists) Bill Gates and Warren Buffet for donating billions to fight this scourge.
The tree-huggers got rid of DDT, which was effective and safe. Millions died because of that.

Level 6

Location hidden

#160723 Dec 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, nothing is "non-porous" enough to preserve blood for millions of years. It makes no sense. Ever looked through a electron microscope? Doesn't look very sealed at 10 million times magnification! Think about that!
And to remind you again, its not whole, intact blood that is preserved, but chemical compounds that were in blood. Thats a whole world of difference. H20 is a small molecule that might diffuse through a hydrocarbon substrate, but porphyrins are large molecules that could be - and obviously were - trapped where they lay.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#160724 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
But you did not say what you thought on the mosquito passing diseases. Do you think what I said was correct or not?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#160725 Dec 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I imagine there are a few of our brightest rocket scientists bagging groceries at the local supermarket.
I agree with this. The sad thing is anymore it is not what you know it is who you know!
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160726 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wholeheartedly. But the problem is deeper, since the Shuttles were already old technology. Where was the replacement for these 1970's technologies being developed in the 80s and 90s???
On another note, its interesting how unpredictable technology is. When I was a kid nobody even thought about supercomputers on every desk top (and now in every phone)...but we all thought there would be a moon base by 2014!!!!
The replacement was almost finished when Obama cancelled it. There were billions invested and then just thrown to waste.

Level 6

Location hidden

#160727 Dec 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I hate to bring this up but in my view, its your wild eyed theocrats who are doing their best to discredit science and scientists, so you can hardly complain as you are one of them. But I don;t put all the blame your way. Dizzy notions of stardom and the Kardashian syndrome are just as much to blame. The worship of money over character.

Level 6

Location hidden

#160728 Dec 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The replacement was almost finished when Obama cancelled it. There were billions invested and then just thrown to waste.
I was not aware of that. Definitely a strike against Obama in my book.

But then his predecessor was hardly a friend of science.

One problem I do have is that politics can corrupt science. If you have ever followed the Ancel Keys inspired jihad against saturated fat, which is still not supported by the balance of evidence but became official govt policy decades ago, you will know what I mean.

Level 6

Location hidden

#160729 Dec 31, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
But you did not say what you thought on the mosquito passing diseases. Do you think what I said was correct or not?
Yes, as far as I know, thats how it works.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#160730 Dec 31, 2013
Oh we on politics now. Here is something for ya to ponder;

Date: 01/01/1835 US debt:---------33,733.05
Date: 07/01/1850 US debt:---------63,452,773.55
Date: 07/01/1900 US debt:---------2,136,961,091.67
Date: 06/30/1950 US debt:-----$257,357,352,351.04
Date: 09/30/2000 US debt:---$5,674,178,209,886.86
Date: 09/30/2008 US debt:-$10,024,724,896,912.49
Date: 12/30/2013 US debt:-$17,267,412,119,800.12

I fail to see how all this is one manís fault. People need to wake up and stop trying to blame a person or a party. It is the government as a whole and has been happening for many many years. Each party makes sure they are taken care while in office and out of office, of as well as their friends. That way they all walk away wealthy and healthy no matter how bad the rest of us are.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#160731 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, as far as I know, thats how it works.
Exactly. But science denies HIV can be spread the same way. HIV can be passed by blood and only dies when exposed to air/oxygen, which a mosquito does not do when is sucks up and passes blood from host to host. But the government and science deny it happens to avoid a panic. Think about it.

Level 6

Location hidden

#160732 Dec 31, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. But science denies HIV can be spread the same way. HIV can be passed by blood and only dies when exposed to air/oxygen, which a mosquito does not do when is sucks up and passes blood from host to host. But the government and science deny it happens to avoid a panic. Think about it.
I don't think your paranoia is justified. HIV is another area of research that has been highly competitive and the search for truth mattered to all concerned. Alternative theories including yours were floated early on ...and investigated...and eliminated.

It looks pretty well established that sexual activity is the vector. Why is that strange? I have never heard of gonorrhea or syphilis or herpes passing through mozzies either. Clearly in some cases its more than the exposure to air that matters. Perhaps the temperature change, or other enzymes in a mozzie gut, etc, that thankfully provide a barrier.

Also note that on one hand "govt and science" will hide research to avoid panics while supposedly promoting false research (climate change) to provoke one. Why can't conspiracy theorists ever be consistent?

Please get one thing clear in your head. Most scientists are interested in finding out the truth. Most could have made more money on Wall Street. Are you so cynical that you reject this possibility?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#160733 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think your paranoia is justified. HIV is another area of research that has been highly competitive and the search for truth mattered to all concerned. Alternative theories including yours were floated early on ...and investigated...and eliminated.
It looks pretty well established that sexual activity is the vector. Why is that strange? I have never heard of gonorrhea or syphilis or herpes passing through mozzies either. Clearly in some cases its more than the exposure to air that matters. Perhaps the temperature change, or other enzymes in a mozzie gut, etc, that thankfully provide a barrier.
Also note that on one hand "govt and science" will hide research to avoid panics while supposedly promoting false research (climate change) to provoke one. Why can't conspiracy theorists ever be consistent?
Please get one thing clear in your head. Most scientists are interested in finding out the truth. Most could have made more money on Wall Street. Are you so cynical that you reject this possibility?
Yeah I hear ya. But all those are bacteria. HIV is a virus. Quite a bit difference there.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#160734 Dec 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
All those are bacteria. HIV is a virus. Quite a bit difference there. look them up. With that I have to run.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Into The Night 87,618
What's your religion? 5 hr 15th Dalai Lama 774
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 7 hr Samuel Patre 166,398
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 15 hr Wisdom of Ages 5,843
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Feb 21 Anonymous 1,825
Scientific Method Feb 15 stinky 20
Evolving A Maze Solving Robot Feb 6 Untangler 2
More from around the web