Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#160529 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
How many times have you posted your inane list of failed proofs of the error of evolution?
You mean, evidence that evolution never happened?

Yes, I posted my list upon request at times to this *one* place which does in no way meet the definition of spam. But you would never understand the difference, would you idiot?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160530 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly.
Technically religious delusions that are the norm for the group that the individual is part of is not considered pathology. So KAB is not, technically, mentally ill (no axis I disgnosis).
Urb, has paranoid ideation and might have a very mild case of bi-polar disorder. The later is complete speculation on my part. He tends to go through noticeable cycles in this forum. I have identified a sequence of 4 stages he seems to go through, more or less in order each time. Right now he is reset to stage 1.
Hey Dogem, what cycle am I in now? You are completely insane.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160531 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
funny how you lump unrelated groups together. I am neither an atheist nor am I especially liberal (though I admit I am much more liberal now than in my youth when I was very conservative).
I speak the truth. You simply do not like the truth. You want people to go back to living in caves, believing the earth is flat and that evolution does not happen. Swell, why don't you lead the way.
All lies from the idiot Dogem.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160532 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to read 'Reading Comprehension for Dummies'
Most comets that existed at the beginning of our solar system (4.5 billion years) are still out there today waiting to be dislodged and come down for their first pass around the sun.
And you have already acknowledge evolution up to the genus level.
Have you forgotten where you were?
Waiting to be "dislodged"! That is you belief which is based on hypotheticals. You suck up the dogma like a baby sucking a pacifier.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#160533 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

The endlessly repeating one.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160534 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're mean?
How many do you see?
Unlike the voices in your head, I'm singular.
The question - you idiot - was how old are you. Because you act like a child.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160535 Dec 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The endlessly repeating one.
I see you are voluntarily admitting to being a moron.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#160537 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

My my, you have such a temper after being stupid all day.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160538 Dec 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
My my, you have such a temper after being stupid all day.
You are such an idiot.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#160539 Dec 29, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure that he isn't part way there already.
I thought in general men, were supposed to become more conservative as they aged. I have become less conservative as I have gotten older. Interesting. I like to think what I lost is the nonsense that these radical neoconservatives still retain.

Most of my friends have gotten less conservative as we have aged. I know others who have gotten more conservative as well. It is often an education thing. More education = less conservative, in general. To be even more general we could say it was environment.

People with higher IQ's also tend to be more "liberal" though substantial exceptions can be noted.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160540 Dec 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically you're saying if enough people think Barney the purple dinosaur is a god, then they're normal?

Just going by DSM-IV-TR. And lack of an Axis I diagnosis does not mean normal, necessary. KAB is not psychotic, but he couldn't find "normal" with google maps and a GPS.

Not that normal is all it is cracked up to be. Normal means having all the failings of the vast majority of humans.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160541 Dec 29, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe he isn't technically pathological, but KAB tries real hard.
I haven't the training to recognize the symptoms so well as you, but Urb does seem to run hot and cold.
What do you think of replaytime?

KAB is very similar to marksman only smarter. His main occupation is trying to feel better about his own beliefs.

Replaytime is an enigma. He seems like he is just having fun. He will actually think about things and change his opinion so is the cream of the particular crop that you have listed. Not that his personality is my cup of tea, but not everyone can be a nice smooth oolong.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160542 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, evidence that evolution never happened?
Yes, I posted my list upon request at times to this *one* place which does in no way meet the definition of spam. But you would never understand the difference, would you idiot?

No one cares. It is crap. You post it when it suits you.

I say spam.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160543 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

You have gone through the blow-up and absence stages so you are currently stage 1 or 2.

Note I did not say you have bipolar disorder, only that you seem to experience a cyclical pattern in this forum.

Paranoia is a given, however.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160544 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All lies from the idiot Dogem.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
funny how you lump unrelated groups together. I am neither an atheist nor am I especially liberal (though I admit I am much more liberal now than in my youth when I was very conservative).
I speak the truth. You simply do not like the truth. You want people to go back to living in caves, believing the earth is flat and that evolution does not happen. Swell, why don't you lead the way.

It was not me that equated all of the science posters here with 4 different groups of people. That was you.

No, it was you who did that.

Why don't you deal with the issues (if you think you can) without the name calling (either real or implied)?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#160545 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean this question, idiot?

"I'm mean, how many are you? "

You read like a Chimpanzee.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160546 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Waiting to be "dislodged"! That is you belief which is based on hypotheticals. You suck up the dogma like a baby sucking a pacifier.

No, that is based on the observational evidence. Every few years we get a brand spanking "new" comet that has an orbit that takes it out to the Oort cloud.

We have observed the effects of a belt of comets in another star system.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/...

Obviously it is bunk since it is science.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160547 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Pot calls kettle black. Film and story at 11.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160548 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you are voluntarily admitting to being a moron.

Getting to stage 3 really quick this time.

Why are you so angry all the time? If you have any evidence wouldn't a civil explication of those facts be to your benefit?

Ah ha!

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#160549 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean this question, idiot?
"I'm mean, how many are you? "
You read like a Chimpanzee.

NSPCA might get on you for that disparaging comment about Chimps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 14 min Samuel Patre 168,012
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 5 hr Eagle 12 - 6,063
Womans Birth Cycle absolutely Proves Design and... 6 hr Rose_NoHo 75
The Design of Time is Prophecy and is absolute ... 6 hr Rose_NoHo 31
News Evolution debate vote (Mar '09) 6 hr WELL SAID 3,404
What's your religion? (Sep '17) 8 hr was auch immer 1,162
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr MIDutch 93,434