Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#160495 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is lie Dogem. What would be the point?

Perhaps you can point out a lie in my writing. I find it easy to do in your posts (as long as I am not too picky about separating lies from delusions and misinformation).

What I stated again.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nothing on your list. We have dealt with it all.
Yawn.
Maybe it is time to goad you back into bringing out your champion so we can crush it again.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#160496 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the spam king is back. Of course orgasms are proof of evolution and you have admitted evolution is true.
Off topic: more crushing comet information:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/...
Pretty much proves comets are short-lived doesn't it? And since there is no way to create new ones, the solar system is young - it couldn't be much more than about 100,000 years old which leaves no time for evolution.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#160497 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mindless noise geared toward vulnerable teenagers.
Yes of course. I wouldn't expect someone of your quality to listen to such cacophony. I bet they got them a good ole jukebox at the bowling alley.

Level 9

#160498 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution doesn't explain anything because it doesn't exist.
Yes, apply that keen analytical mind to it and crank out those intelligent responses.

Level 9

#160499 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much proves comets are short-lived doesn't it? And since there is no way to create new ones, the solar system is young - it couldn't be much more than about 100,000 years old which leaves no time for evolution.
Except that it is much, much older than 100,000 years. Belief is a great thing, but it doesn't mean stop thinking.

Level 9

#160500 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you remember correctly, I said it may be possible only on very rare occasion. The extreme exception rather than the rule.
And if that is the maximum, so rules out your fairy tales about common ancestry.
And also remember, the classification system has been bastardized by the evolutionists. What I mean by that is if they find a fossil of the exact same thing, i.e., living fossil, in a rock layer they believe to be very old, they name it something different and declare it a different species. Total BS.
Everybody that disagrees with you, understands more fully than you and generally doesn't think in some very narrow template is a liar from what I gather about you.

That is good science you use.
defender

Mount Vernon, KY

#160501 Dec 29, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Everybody that disagrees with you, understands more fully than you and generally doesn't think in some very narrow template is a liar from what I gather about you.

That is good science you use.
And what the hell do you know about anything ass tick?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160502 Dec 29, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Except that it is much, much older than 100,000 years. Belief is a great thing, but it doesn't mean stop thinking.
You are the one who has stopped thinking. You accept blindly without question the dogma you are regularly fed.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160503 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you can point out a lie in my writing. I find it easy to do in your posts (as long as I am not too picky about separating lies from delusions and misinformation).
What I stated again.
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nothing on your list. We have dealt with it all.
Yawn.
Maybe it is time to goad you back into bringing out your champion so we can crush it again.
"You have nothing on your list" is a lie. Also, "We have dealt with it all" is another lie. Actually two lies if you count the "We". I guess you can't help it.

Do you people (evotards/liberals/atheists/pr ogressives, etc.) believe that lying has become acceptable and an "evolved" behavior and considered more intellectual than mere simple honesty? I am serious.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#160504 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the spam king is back. Of course orgasms are proof of evolution and you have admitted evolution is true.
Off topic: more crushing comet information:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/...
Incorrect use of the word spam. Can't you get anything right?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#160505 Dec 29, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. The diversification is driven by random mutation, not any desire to "keep living". its just copying errors. Non-random natural selection weeds out the less adaptive error and promulgates the effective ones. In neither part of this formula is "the desire to keep on living" a necessary part of the equation.
<quoted text>
I have been, and I know perfectly well that animals avoid danger etc.
<quoted text>
woooo-woooo. A biophoton is nothing special. It derives from the changes in electron orbits dropping to lower energy levels, in just the same way that photons can be generated by non-living chemical systems. Big Deal.
A photon can also be absorbed by the chemicals in a living system, again in exactly the same way as non-living ones do, and the higher energy level of an electron so energised can affect chemical reactions.
bio-chemistry is just chemistry.
bio-photons are just photons.
You dismiss the work of brilliant scientists, without ever even studying their work.
Why is it you suppose to know more than them? Without ever even performing even a single of the experiments they have? I find that both arrogant and rude.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#160513 Dec 29, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Photons *do* have momentum. In fact, a photon of energy E has a momentum of size E/c. There is no such thing as a photon at rest.
True, but the rest mass should be calcuable ... right?? Or maybe not ... point is, you don't have any better information on this than I do. BTW, for momentum to exist, there must be mass ... at rest or not ....

From ... http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Particl...

When the particle is at rest, its relativistic mass has a minimum value called the "rest mass" mrest. The rest mass is always the same for the same type of particle. For example, all protons have identical rest masses, and so do all electrons, and so do all neutrons; these masses can be looked up in a table. As the particle is accelerated to ever higher speeds, its relativistic mass increases without limit.

It also turns out that in special relativity, we are able to define the concept of "energy" E, such that E has simple and well-defined properties just like those it has in newtonian mechanics. When a particle has been accelerated so that it has some momentum p (the length of the vector p) and relativistic mass mrel, then its energy E turns out to be given by
E = mrelc2 , and also E2 = p2c2 + m2restc4 .(1)

There are two interesting cases of this last equation:

If the particle is at rest, then p = 0, and E = mrestc2.
If we set the rest mass equal to zero (regardless of whether or not that's a reasonable thing to do), then E = pc.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#160514 Dec 29, 2013
Jenji wrote:
I don't believe in evolution, simply because IMHO the female orgasm is too fantastic to be an accident! Don't know how it feels for guys of course, but they make pretty much the same sounds I do.Nope, I'm a firm believer in creationism. I may not be able to understand or explain the creator being we call God, but at least that's an explanation. All the evolutionists have is "somehow this and that happened" and random chance. That's me anyway! Everybody can feel free to disagree or agree, freedom of choice.
Evolution does not require "Belief" it is supported by verifiable evidence as most facts are.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#160517 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

You might want to read 'Reading Comprehension for Dummies'

Most comets that existed at the beginning of our solar system (4.5 billion years) are still out there today waiting to be dislodged and come down for their first pass around the sun.

And you have already acknowledge evolution up to the genus level.

Have you forgotten where you were?

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#160518 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who has stopped thinking. You accept blindly without question the dogma you are regularly fed.

You mean modern science with thousands of lines of connected, confirming evidence vs. creotardism with (to date) zero lines of evidence leading anywhere.

You sir, are the one steeped in dogma from which you are afraid to eradicate yourself.

Level 9

#160519 Dec 29, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
And what the hell do you know about anything ass tick?
Got your panties all knotted up and skanky. ROFL!

Level 9

#160520 Dec 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to read 'Reading Comprehension for Dummies'
Most comets that existed at the beginning of our solar system (4.5 billion years) are still out there today waiting to be dislodged and come down for their first pass around the sun.
And you have already acknowledge evolution up to the genus level.
Have you forgotten where you were?
Are all these fundies/creationists suffering from similar conditions?

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#160521 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"You have nothing on your list" is a lie.

Nothing legitimately LEFT on your list would be a better wording.

[QUOTE who="Urban Cowboy"]<quoted text> Also, "We have dealt with it all" is another lie.

Nope, stone cold truth. I invite anyone who doubts that to look back through this forum and see for themselves. We have asked you to pick your best evidences and have picked them apart.

[QUOTE who="Urban Cowboy"]<quoted text> Actually two lies if you count the "We". I guess you can't help it.

Those of us who understand science all recognize the same reality. Unlike creotards who all make it up as they go.

[QUOTE who="Urban Cowboy"]<quoted text> Do you people (evotards/liberals/atheists/pr ogressives, etc.) believe that lying has become acceptable and an "evolved" behavior and considered more intellectual than mere simple honesty? I am serious.

funny how you lump unrelated groups together. I am neither an atheist nor am I especially liberal (though I admit I am much more liberal now than in my youth when I was very conservative).

I speak the truth. You simply do not like the truth. You want people to go back to living in caves, believing the earth is flat and that evolution does not happen. Swell, why don't you lead the way.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#160522 Dec 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect use of the word spam. Can't you get anything right?

Really?

How many times have you posted your inane list of failed proofs of the error of evolution?

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#160523 Dec 29, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Are all these fundies/creationists suffering from similar conditions?

Not exactly.

Technically religious delusions that are the norm for the group that the individual is part of is not considered pathology. So KAB is not, technically, mentally ill (no axis I disgnosis).

Urb, has paranoid ideation and might have a very mild case of bi-polar disorder. The later is complete speculation on my part. He tends to go through noticeable cycles in this forum. I have identified a sequence of 4 stages he seems to go through, more or less in order each time. Right now he is reset to stage 1.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Regolith Based Li... 80,043
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 163,788
News Intelligent design (Jul '15) Sat Dogen 571
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Sat ChromiuMan 222,780
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Fri River Tam 32,582
What's your religion? Fri Zog Has-fallen 4
Life started in Tennessee proof. Sep 15 Science4life 1
More from around the web