Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180388 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#157493 Nov 3, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Once the slave has accepted the inevitability of his continued enslavement, he is not free by my understanding. He need not be in actual confinement or real shackles to be so enslaved.
When the mind is free, the body will follow, given the first opportunity.
Yes I must break free of Gravity!
Then I will be a freeman!:)>

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#157494 Nov 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
A different definition of free was being used than you are using. Certainly a slave can be free in his mind even if his body is in shackles. If he denies that his body is not free then your bunny rabbit scenario comes into play.
Complete freedom is answering to no one. You(we) have to get permission to drive, work, marry etc etc in the form of a license.

We are never free. Freedom is mentally and physically. Freedom of the mind is imagination and even though imagination can take you any where, in reality you are not there.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157495 Nov 3, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Once the slave has accepted the inevitability of his continued enslavement, he is not free by my understanding. He need not be in actual confinement or real shackles to be so enslaved.
When the mind is free, the body will follow, given the first opportunity.

So freedom is mental first, then physical?

When the mind is free, physical freedom is still desirable, to be sure.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#157496 Nov 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I must break free of Gravity!
Then I will be a freeman!:)>
He did have a conditional statement at the end of his claim. In many ways we are "free from gravity" today. Or at least more free than we were in the past. Almost all of us here have flown in a plane. Something that was "impossible" a mere 150 years ago. A very few of us have gone into space, this does not include me. It is even possible to make a rocket powerful enough to escape the gravitational pull of our Earth forever, and perhaps even that of the Sun, though the astronaut would be long dead before he had escaped the influence of the Sun.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157497 Nov 3, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that all associations are equal, religious, political and conceptual. Psychological satisfaction can be both of the highest order and most mundane. We tend to observe others as being deluded when their delusions do not fall in line with our own delusions.

I don't think I agree that all associations are equal. I associate myself as a member of the human race. I think that is a better association than associating with the KKK, for examples. There are certainly, as you point out, different levels and types of psychological satisfaction. Your point, if I understand you, is that all associations have the capacity to be self reinforcing and controlling to it's associates. Correct me if I am off base on this.

There are two valid reasons to hold a belief: Evidence or the collective beliefs of others. The later is only valid to the extent it conforms to the first. We have neither the time nor the need to question everything ourselves so we all have some false beliefs. These false beliefs only become delusions when one has attachment to them in spite of the evidence. Lacking contradictory evidence it is reasonable to follow the crowd as they are right about enough to make survival and even thriving more likely.

So there is some difference between how we, myself included, use the word delusion and what it actually means.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157498 Nov 3, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I lean in the toward the same observation as you have made, I also think there is a very thin line between self delusion and transcending circumstances. One bleeds into the other. It's not always easy to tell which is the most and which is the least.

If one is trapped in a bad situation is it better to accept it or to try to escape it at all costs?



Is that the answer you would give to a slave, an abused wife and a maximum security inmate convicted of multiple murders?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157499 Nov 3, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Any mind is free to be as deluded as it wishes.

LOL.

Delusion may not be a choice. There is some choice in maintaining a delusion or delusional system.

The same principles that apply to cognitive dissonance theory in other realms also apply here.

CL vs. CL(alt)

If only logic and evidence were used to make decisions then humans would have fewer delusions. But choices have consiquences.

As one JW said at a conference once said "I would rather be wrong and be inside [the JW] than be outside."

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157500 Nov 3, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Complete freedom is answering to no one. You(we) have to get permission to drive, work, marry etc etc in the form of a license.
We are never free. Freedom is mentally and physically. Freedom of the mind is imagination and even though imagination can take you any where, in reality you are not there.

I will get to work having the word removed from all dictionaries.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#157501 Nov 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I agree that all associations are equal. I associate myself as a member of the human race. I think that is a better association than associating with the KKK, for examples. There are certainly, as you point out, different levels and types of psychological satisfaction. Your point, if I understand you, is that all associations have the capacity to be self reinforcing and controlling to it's associates. Correct me if I am off base on this.
There are two valid reasons to hold a belief: Evidence or the collective beliefs of others. The later is only valid to the extent it conforms to the first. We have neither the time nor the need to question everything ourselves so we all have some false beliefs. These false beliefs only become delusions when one has attachment to them in spite of the evidence. Lacking contradictory evidence it is reasonable to follow the crowd as they are right about enough to make survival and even thriving more likely.
So there is some difference between how we, myself included, use the word delusion and what it actually means.
I'd have to clarify, that any association that allows us to make a CHOICE is potentially equal. We do not choose to be human, we just are. But we may choose to join or opt out of the KKK or a political party, or a religion, or a conceptual school of thought. And I would agree generally with you that we make these decisions partly because we don't have the time or feel the need to question everything ourselves. But all of those choices have the potential of making us obedient subjects of The Lord Of The Flies.

I remember growing up in a small town in Wisconsin. The prevalent attitudes in that town concerning race, religion, sexuality, etc. were attitudes of that time. It would be difficult for individuals in that time to question those attitudes because they were so prevalent. People still had the choice to opt out of those delusions, but few did. It took a revolution of social ideas during the 60's and 70's to make most people aware that the old ideas were delusional.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#157502 Nov 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
If one is trapped in a bad situation is it better to accept it or to try to escape it at all costs?
Is that the answer you would give to a slave, an abused wife and a maximum security inmate convicted of multiple murders?
I'd say that it is SOMETIMES better to accept a bad situation than try to escape it.

I talked with a friend a few days ago about another friend who had been very physically active for most of her life. In her last few years she developed a lung condition that made her slow down. She could have extended her life much more by doing as much exercise as possible, but instead she just quit trying. My view is that, for her values, she did the right thing by quitting, accepting that her life was worth living as an active person, but not so much worth living as a couch potato.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#157503 Nov 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I must break free of Gravity!
Then I will be a freeman!:)>
I don't know if you want to break free of gravity and I don't think it would make a difference on the freedom I am talking about.

If you break free of gravity, then you lose the freedom of being attracted by gravity.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#157504 Nov 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So freedom is mental first, then physical?
When the mind is free, physical freedom is still desirable, to be sure.
I think it has to be mental first, but physical freedom is desirable, yes.

If freedom is the ability to think, communicate and act as we want, then it has to start with the mind.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#157505 Nov 3, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know if you want to break free of gravity and I don't think it would make a difference on the freedom I am talking about.
If you break free of gravity, then you lose the freedom of being attracted by gravity.

Yeah but then I could fly like Superman!:) lol

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#157506 Nov 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but then I could fly like Superman!:) lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9ql_m-4jdZEXX
I have always wondered how Superman flies. Does he need a cape? Why does he have to fly in a prone position with his arms held like that? Personally, I would fly reclining with a drink.

If the technology keeps progressing you may come close to getting your wish.

Talk to you later.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#157507 Nov 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but then I could fly like Superman!:) lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9ql_m-4jdZEXX
Nice tune by the way. I like the Kinks.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157512 Nov 4, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say that it is SOMETIMES better to accept a bad situation than try to escape it.
I talked with a friend a few days ago about another friend who had been very physically active for most of her life. In her last few years she developed a lung condition that made her slow down. She could have extended her life much more by doing as much exercise as possible, but instead she just quit trying. My view is that, for her values, she did the right thing by quitting, accepting that her life was worth living as an active person, but not so much worth living as a couch potato.

I have a bias toward adapting vs. surrender.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#157513 Nov 4, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So freedom is mental first, then physical?
When the mind is free, physical freedom is still desirable, to be sure.
Who are you and why did you swap avatars with MrDesoto1?

xD

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#157514 Nov 4, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I have always wondered how Superman flies. Does he need a cape? Why does he have to fly in a prone position with his arms held like that? Personally, I would fly reclining with a drink.
If the technology keeps progressing you may come close to getting your wish.
Talk to you later.
Superheros need a cape . He can fly in any position, including upside down. He likes the dramatic entrance effect any picture they take of him like that. Drinking and flying is a no no. lol

I get my wishes, if the tec does not exist.... we must change the rules...ROFLMAO!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157515 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you and why did you swap avatars with MrDesoto1?
xD

Hi Nano. How have you been?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#157516 Nov 4, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Nano. How have you been?
Hey. Good enough, and you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min Subduction Zone 32,042
Is Creationism and Intelligent Design debunked ... 3 min Dogen 229
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Subduction Zone 74,877
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 17 min Dogen 4,059
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! 25 min Dogen 300
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 27 min John 138
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 43 min Subduction Zone 162,001
More from around the web