Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179697 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157205 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Malicious lying and gossiping about someone just because they have different views is not good humor.

What malicious lying?

You mean your nonsensical mythunderstanding of basic physics?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#157206 Oct 25, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you think about it, the key to a great legacy for a president is to make sure you pick the right VP. Bush's biggest mistake was picking Cheney. Now if he would have picked Sara Palin instead, she would have made him look like a genius.

I don't know if even urban can could make bush look like a genius.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#157207 Oct 25, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you think about it, the key to a great legacy for a president is to make sure you pick the right VP. Bush's biggest mistake was picking Cheney. Now if he would have picked Sara Palin instead, she would have made him look like a genius.
well, Chebney may be an intelligent man, but so are many whackjobs...

this was the guy they brought onto the ticket for his int'l and securitytise, which he utterly failed at. he even felt he failed at it. after the 9-11 attacks he was so shaken by it he really started to lose it. he even thought he had been exposed to some biological agent in the white house...he really kind of lost it in the end, there...

so intelligence isn't all it takes to do a hard job...

one of my favorite quotes that i do not have time to look up as to who it came from...i think it was in the clinton administration...a cabinet member asked about someone's capabilities and was answered with,'well, she's very intelligent." his response was. "we're all very intelligent here, can she do the job?"...

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157208 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well, Chebney may be an intelligent man, but so are many whackjobs...
this was the guy they brought onto the ticket for his int'l and securitytise, which he utterly failed at. he even felt he failed at it. after the 9-11 attacks he was so shaken by it he really started to lose it. he even thought he had been exposed to some biological agent in the white house...he really kind of lost it in the end, there...
one of my favorite quotes that i do not have time to look up as to who it came from...i think it was in the clinton administration...a cabinet member asked about someone's capabilities and was answered with,'well, she's very intelligent." his response was. "we're all very intelligent here, can she do the job?"...
Intelligent does not mean educated and knowing what you are doing or wanting to do it right. The latter two apply to most politicians. A autistic person is intelligent, smarter than most but has no practical or common sense.

St. Croix valley

#157209 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent does not mean educated and knowing what you are doing or wanting to do it right. The latter two apply to most politicians. A autistic person is intelligent, smarter than most but has no practical or common sense.
not all autistic people are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents...

yes, intelligence is not education, i never stated such.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157210 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not all autistic people are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents...
yes, intelligence is not education, i never stated such.
Not all politicians are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents.

St. Croix valley

#157211 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all politicians are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents.
no, they are not. i know of no-one that even suggested such a thing...

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#157212 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well, Chebney may be an intelligent man, but so are many whackjobs...
The all time winner was Nancy Peloski,
"We have to pass the bill, so we can see what's in it.".
Turbotard! Like that trumps caribou Barbie even.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#157213 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>

You need to meet my son.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#157214 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Oh yes, there's no mistake that Cheney is a world class dangerous wack job, but you have to admit that, side by side, Cheney, rather than Bush, always looked like the smart one. My guess is that Cheney is still looking for WMD's in Iraq, and plans on some day proving that he was right, but he wouldn't fail a fifth grade geography test.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#157215 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Sara Palin in male drag, Ted Cruz. Think about it.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157216 Oct 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to meet my son.
I have an autistic nephew. Smart as heck, off the charts on everything but everyday living and common sense.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#157217 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an autistic nephew. Smart as heck, off the charts on everything but everyday living and common sense.

I can be lost and my son can tell me how to get back home.

We can go to a store that we have not been to in years and I can ask him to show me where something is and he can walk me right to it.

I can hand him an electronic device that he has never seen before and let him be and he will show me how to use it in a couple of hours.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157218 Oct 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I can be lost and my son can tell me how to get back home.
We can go to a store that we have not been to in years and I can ask him to show me where something is and he can walk me right to it.
I can hand him an electronic device that he has never seen before and let him be and he will show me how to use it in a couple of hours.
My nephew is the same way. But I can take a picture add in a magazine of a nice $300 watch and say how much do you think that costs. He will say it has to be around $10,000. No concept of reality or common sense. But as I said smart as a whip on anything else.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#157219 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
My nephew is the same way. But I can take a picture add in a magazine of a nice $300 watch and say how much do you think that costs. He will say it has to be around $10,000. No concept of reality or common sense. But as I said smart as a whip on anything else.

I couldn't tell a $300 watch from a $10,000 watch either. Maybe that is why the most expensive watch I own costs less than $300.

What is reality? He probably thinks you are as wack as you think he is.

and "Common sense" is anything but common.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157220 Oct 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't tell a $300 watch from a $10,000 watch either. Maybe that is why the most expensive watch I own costs less than $300.
True that bud.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157221 Oct 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
But I don't think he is wack. I think he is an awesome kid. I take him fishing and hunting all the time. He cant set still but it is still fun to see him experience it all.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#157222 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Well, I see the evotards are in full force today doing what they always do - gossip and lie.
I have been following the discussion you have been having with Chimney and Polymath. As near as I can determine based on what you have been posting, it seems that life itself would violate SLoT let alone organic evolution. Living things maintain a complexity seemingly at odds with thermodynamics. How do you reconcile that?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#157223 Oct 26, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I have been following the discussion you have been having with Chimney and Polymath. As near as I can determine based on what you have been posting, it seems that life itself would violate SLoT let alone organic evolution. Living things maintain a complexity seemingly at odds with thermodynamics. How do you reconcile that?
What do you mean by life itself? Do you mean development from zygote to adult? That process follows the written instructions and programming contained in the genome which is forever accumulating mutations with each generation, i.e., genetic entropy. Life itself also includes aging and the phase from adulthood to old age and death. In my view, those are perfectly consistent with statistical entropy and the explanations and examples I provided.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#157224 Oct 26, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by life itself? Do you mean development from zygote to adult? That process follows the written instructions and programming contained in the genome which is forever accumulating mutations with each generation, i.e., genetic entropy. Life itself also includes aging and the phase from adulthood to old age and death. In my view, those are perfectly consistent with statistical entropy and the explanations and examples I provided.
Since you were incapable of explaining how the addition of energy to a particle can reduce its number of available microstates, perhaps you can do better with this question:

In a lotto result, drawing 6 numbers randomly, is the result:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

which looks very ordered

more, less, or just as likely as drawing:

12, 15, 21, 34, 35, 39

which looks rather more random?'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min Dogen 209,622
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 21 min Dogen 152,177
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 50 min Richardfs 45,481
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr karl44 20,239
America evolving into lockdown on purpose Sun Dogen 68
New law to further hatred towards police Sep 24 One way or another 4
Hillary, a taco stand on every corner Sep 24 One way or another 4
More from around the web