Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#157194 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Malicious lying and gossiping about someone just because they have different views is not good humor.
Different? I guess you can call it that.

AS I said, no sense of humor.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#157195 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Malicious lying and gossiping about someone just because they have different views is not good humor.
Sometimes telling the truth about someone is even more harsh. Sorry - that's just the way the Christmas cookie crumbles, Urb. Call it an example of statistical entropy.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#157197 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
how
bout wrong views. as in provably wrong. she has many of those views...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#157198 Oct 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, sure she could have:
"[Paul Revere] did warn the British. And in a shout-out, gotcha-type of question that was asked of me, I answered candidly. And I know my American history." --Sarah Palin, defending her botched Paul Revere history lesson by taking issue with the reporter, who simply asked her "What have you seen so far today, and what are you going to take away from your visit?" (Fox News Sunday interview, June 5, 2011)
"Because of that one episode, that one episode, that would turn an issue into what it has become over the last two years. I think that's ridiculous. That's one of those things, where that issue...that I don't read, or that I'm not informed, it's one of those questions where I like to turn that around and ask the reporters,'Why would it be that there is that perception that I don't read?'" --Sarah Palin, ABC interview with Barbara Walters, Dec. 9, 2010
"But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies." --Sarah Palin, after being asked how she would handle the current hostilities between the two Koreas, interview on Glenn Beck's radio show, Nov. 24, 2010
Many more at:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin...
Note that there are 4 pages of them.
Top 10 at:
Thank you very much. Thad does put that earlier "news" story that you shared back into the realm of the possible.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#157199 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is made up. It is a satirical site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Curran...
Don't count Sarah out just yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/25/politics/return...

This is a real news article by the way.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#157200 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case, how can you tell?
She's said enough stupid stuff as it is.
I think Poe's Law is in effect with all things Palin.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#157201 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Well, I see the evotards are in full force today doing what they always do - gossip and lie.
Well yes, we thought we'd give you a little break. Don't forget to say thank you.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#157202 Oct 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, sure she could have:
"[Paul Revere] did warn the British. And in a shout-out, gotcha-type of question that was asked of me, I answered candidly. And I know my American history." --Sarah Palin, defending her botched Paul Revere history lesson by taking issue with the reporter, who simply asked her "What have you seen so far today, and what are you going to take away from your visit?" (Fox News Sunday interview, June 5, 2011)
"Because of that one episode, that one episode, that would turn an issue into what it has become over the last two years. I think that's ridiculous. That's one of those things, where that issue...that I don't read, or that I'm not informed, it's one of those questions where I like to turn that around and ask the reporters,'Why would it be that there is that perception that I don't read?'" --Sarah Palin, ABC interview with Barbara Walters, Dec. 9, 2010
"But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies." --Sarah Palin, after being asked how she would handle the current hostilities between the two Koreas, interview on Glenn Beck's radio show, Nov. 24, 2010
Many more at:
Note that there are 4 pages of them.
Top 10 at:
When you think about it, the key to a great legacy for a president is to make sure you pick the right VP. Bush's biggest mistake was picking Cheney. Now if he would have picked Sara Palin instead, she would have made him look like a genius.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#157203 Oct 25, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you think about it, the key to a great legacy for a president is to make sure you pick the right VP. Bush's biggest mistake was picking Cheney. Now if he would have picked Sara Palin instead, she would have made him look like a genius.
LOL! Point taken.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#157204 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Somewhere along the line, Urb seems to have lost any semblance of a sense of humor.
Indeed.
He gets real defensive when it is clear that he lost.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#157205 Oct 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

What malicious lying?

You mean your nonsensical mythunderstanding of basic physics?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#157206 Oct 25, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't know if even urban can could make bush look like a genius.

St. Croix valley

#157207 Oct 25, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
well, Chebney may be an intelligent man, but so are many whackjobs...

this was the guy they brought onto the ticket for his int'l and securitytise, which he utterly failed at. he even felt he failed at it. after the 9-11 attacks he was so shaken by it he really started to lose it. he even thought he had been exposed to some biological agent in the white house...he really kind of lost it in the end, there...

so intelligence isn't all it takes to do a hard job...

one of my favorite quotes that i do not have time to look up as to who it came from...i think it was in the clinton administration...a cabinet member asked about someone's capabilities and was answered with,'well, she's very intelligent." his response was. "we're all very intelligent here, can she do the job?"...

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#157208 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well, Chebney may be an intelligent man, but so are many whackjobs...
this was the guy they brought onto the ticket for his int'l and securitytise, which he utterly failed at. he even felt he failed at it. after the 9-11 attacks he was so shaken by it he really started to lose it. he even thought he had been exposed to some biological agent in the white house...he really kind of lost it in the end, there...
one of my favorite quotes that i do not have time to look up as to who it came from...i think it was in the clinton administration...a cabinet member asked about someone's capabilities and was answered with,'well, she's very intelligent." his response was. "we're all very intelligent here, can she do the job?"...
Intelligent does not mean educated and knowing what you are doing or wanting to do it right. The latter two apply to most politicians. A autistic person is intelligent, smarter than most but has no practical or common sense.

St. Croix valley

#157209 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent does not mean educated and knowing what you are doing or wanting to do it right. The latter two apply to most politicians. A autistic person is intelligent, smarter than most but has no practical or common sense.
not all autistic people are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents...

yes, intelligence is not education, i never stated such.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#157210 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not all autistic people are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents...
yes, intelligence is not education, i never stated such.
Not all politicians are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents.

St. Croix valley

#157211 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all politicians are intelligent, some can barely function and have no savant or special talents.
no, they are not. i know of no-one that even suggested such a thing...

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#157212 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well, Chebney may be an intelligent man, but so are many whackjobs...
The all time winner was Nancy Peloski,
"We have to pass the bill, so we can see what's in it.".
Turbotard! Like that trumps caribou Barbie even.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#157213 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>

You need to meet my son.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#157214 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Oh yes, there's no mistake that Cheney is a world class dangerous wack job, but you have to admit that, side by side, Cheney, rather than Bush, always looked like the smart one. My guess is that Cheney is still looking for WMD's in Iraq, and plans on some day proving that he was right, but he wouldn't fail a fifth grade geography test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr candlesmell 95,349
The “cumulative evidence” problem 8 hr jla2w 26
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr Samuel Patre 169,717
Genetic Study proves 90 percent of animals appe... 12 hr JUST SAYING 60
E equals MC squared 13 hr Jim Ryan 15
List what words of Jesus (the Creator) you evol... 19 hr Big Al 93
Hawaiian Volcanic Eruptions and Prophetic Catac... Sat Rose_NoHo 19