Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#157154 Oct 24, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You two have bastardized the science to avoid discrediting your ideology. You have no interest in me or anyone else explaining to you how it works. Go ahead, stay in your fairy land comfort zone.
I don't have a biological ideology.

You mixed modes of thought the same way you mix macro states and micro states.
Mugwump

Sunderland, UK

#157155 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
A partial list of people who have demonstrated (RECENTLY) that your views on entropy are nuts:
Chimney1
polymath257
ChromiuMan
appleboy
Subduction Zone
DanFromSmithville
15th Dalai Lama
The Dude
MikeF
Mugwump
replaytime
KAB (fellow fundy)
Aura Mytha
Dogen
WORSE, you have the full support of Jimbo.
So the 14 of us.....
And Jim's support is worth at least -2000 so.....
the 2,014 of us think you're nuts.
In the interests of fairness, have to point out I have kept out of it as don't have the background , so you can replace my name on the above list with :-

The thousands of physicists that have studied this stuff for all their working life and are strangely silent when presented with UC slam dunk against evolution (oh, I forgot it's all a conspiracy)

That said , whilst have learnt a lot (cheers all) the argument from UC seems to go through the same stages as most

Make claim
Reference a minority of creation scientists to support his view
Ignore the majority of scientists that reject his view
Post numerous equations
Ignore the fact that above equations / formulas don't match reality
Get pissy
Finally sulk, insist everyone is stupid but him
Disappear for a while
After a few months /years start the whole pretence again.

He did this when I pulled him up on his population stats nonsense and he is doing it here (we are on the last but one stage I suspect)

Oh, and it's MR mugwump to you :-)

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#157156 Oct 24, 2013

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#157157 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
I wish they had the actual video.

By the way, you owe me a new desk. When I read what Palin was supposed to have said the head to desk action was uncontrolled and very violent.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#157158 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
If there is a Jesus in heaven HE'D be doing a face/palm after that.

...and to think that she came fairly close to being the Vice President to a guy that had serious heart problems.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#157159 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
the Daily Currant is as good as The Onion...better even as they focus on political issues.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#157160 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
Just like anyone in politics, if you pay attention you will catch them in many lies in things they claim to know but have no clue about. People in politics will try to use anything they can to play the people to catch a vote.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#157161 Oct 24, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You two have bastardized the science to avoid discrediting your ideology. You have no interest in me or anyone else explaining to you how it works. Go ahead, stay in your fairy land comfort zone.
You haven't explained how it works. You have danced around in denial. Nothing rational seems to get through to you. Pity.

St. Croix valley

#157162 Oct 24, 2013
you folks do realize the Daily Currant's articles are not real, don't you?

Level 9

#157163 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
I really want to believe this of Sarah. In some parallel universe, I know this must be true.

Level 9

#157164 Oct 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Maybe not in this reality, but I can dream. Palin is one of my favorites.

St. Croix valley

#157165 Oct 24, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe not in this reality, but I can dream. Palin is one of my favorites.
Oh...little sarah has said enough stupid things to keep us all entertained for quite some time.

my favorite is the "i can see russia.." which her defenders are quick to point out she never said, and they are correct...what she did, in fact, say was even more stupid than that~!

the American comedy writers guild 244 was her largest campaign contributor...

Orlando

#157166 Oct 24, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I really want to believe this of Sarah. In some parallel universe, I know this must be true.
A bit dated, but here's more:

Sarah Palin Claims Global Warming Will ‘Bring Back the Dinosaurs’

Jun 26, 2013

Palin said today that concern over global warming is overblown because returning the climate to its state millions of years ago will allow dinosaurs to make a comeback.

In an interview with Fox News, the former Alaska governor admitted that climate change will hurt some plants and animals but argued that it will also provide an opportunity for ancient, warm-weather species to thrive.

<<more at http://dailycurrant.com/2013/06/26/sarah-pali... ;

Orlando

#157167 Oct 24, 2013

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#157168 Oct 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Dream spoiler. So sadly I was right in suspecting that article.

Even Palin could not be that foolish.

Level 9

#157169 Oct 24, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit dated, but here's more:
Sarah Palin Claims Global Warming Will ‘Bring Back the Dinosaurs’
Jun 26, 2013
Palin said today that concern over global warming is overblown because returning the climate to its state millions of years ago will allow dinosaurs to make a comeback.
In an interview with Fox News, the former Alaska governor admitted that climate change will hurt some plants and animals but argued that it will also provide an opportunity for ancient, warm-weather species to thrive.
<<more at http://dailycurrant.com/2013/06/26/sarah-pali... ;
Laughing very hard. Thank you.

Level 9

#157170 Oct 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh...little sarah has said enough stupid things to keep us all entertained for quite some time.
my favorite is the "i can see russia.." which her defenders are quick to point out she never said, and they are correct...what she did, in fact, say was even more stupid than that~!
the American comedy writers guild 244 was her largest campaign contributor...
There are certain politicians and personalities that lend themselves so easily to comedy. W was another.

Orlando

#157171 Oct 24, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream spoiler. So sadly I was right in suspecting that article.
Even Palin could not be that foolish.
Rats.

But it's an unfair premise.

It's like outing a convincing Poe.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#157172 Oct 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
Since Easter was a ritual going back long before Jesus, I don't doubt that a bit. Since it is the Spring Equinox the rebirth of
the growing cycle and celebrated as such, for thousands of years , it made sense to put the resurrection on that date.

Whether Sarah is guessing this or not, I do not know, but we you and I both know it is a real possibility. I mean at least if there ever were a fellow who we call Jesus, though he maybe contrived also.
My guess is that there were a fellow who was named such, most likely after the fact. Named so to became the martyr for the suffering Christians as a rallying persona.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#157173 Oct 24, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Laughing very hard. Thank you.
Then again, maybe Silly Sarah isn't quite as stupid as she seems: After all, she's rich and famous now, without meriting any of the wealth or fame that she has received. It isn't every day that so much falls into the hands of one so undeserving as Sarah Palin. If anything, she seems quite generously endowed with the low-grade intelligence of a good con artist, of one who can spot a sucker a mile away and tell him just what he needs to hear in order to part him from the money in his pocket. She seems quite adept at pandering to and manipulating the dull-witted, and probably also at intimidating those under her command. Sarah Palin is a grabber, and she's grabbing what she can while the grabbing is good. Such a low form of political street smarts probably won't get you into into the White House, but it will get you appearances on Fox News, speaking slots at CPAC, and lot of cold hard cash.

On the other hand, her devotees must certainly be every bit as stupid as liberals often accuse them of being; every bit as big a bunch of suckers as they seem. Who but an abject nincompoop could fall, again and again, for such a silly shtick as that of Silly Sarah, former half-term quitter-governor of Alaska and one sad old man's failed vice-presidential nominee? Since 2008, Palin's adoring followers have told themselves that we liberals attack Sarah and call her stupid because we're afraid of her. Because we're afraid of her! How stupid is that? How stupid must one be not to realize that, for liberals, each and every Palin public appearance is like a five-gallon bucket of stupid paint that we can fling like Jackson Pollock across the entire threadbare, wrinkled canvas of the GOP? I'm sorry, but I just can't see how any intelligent person could find Sarah Palin the least bit appealing, or could imagine that liberals are afraid of her.

Sarah Palin probably won't help any Republicans get elected, but she will make a lot of money and enjoy the adulation of a lot of people who really just aren't very clever but who are really angry about something. And for as long as it lasts, that's good enough for Silly Sarah.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/18/1194...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min andet1987 199,406
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Thinking 35,184
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Don Barros Serrano 151,334
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 14,941
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 23 hr DanFromSmithville 36
Ribose can be produced in space Mon JanusBifrons 6
A Simple Simulation Mon JanusBifrons 1
More from around the web