Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,738

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#156576 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the post I asked about. You claim that there was a religion 15,000 years ago that was like or was Christianity, but was not called that or may not have been called that.
I have asked for your evidence and you turned it into a pissing contest to avoid backing up your claim. As I said, you have been on here long enough to know that if you make a claim, you should have the courtesy to provide evidence supporting that claim. Your multi-post dance around providing that has been entertaining, but not very enlightening.
Are you really this effen daft???

I said and I quote "Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines."

"may not" are keys words - I don't know and "but fell along the same lines" - what ever they worshipped they held sacred and followed.

Topix moderators please make a crayon app so I can draw Dan some pictures. LMAO

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#156579 Oct 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. We seem to be on the same page. Sorry I misunderstood.
I do it often myself. No biggie

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#156580 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I said and I quote "Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines."
"may not" are keys words - I don't know and "but fell along the same lines" - what ever they worshipped they held sacred and followed.
Dummy, how many ways can I ask how the religious beliefs of 15,000 years ago are known to you? You are this stupid aren't you.

You don't know anything and your statements are just pulled out of your butt. Probably from right near your head.

Level 9

Threats pending

#156581 Oct 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> That should have bee 1000-600 and posted to Replaytime ...um sorry. lol
No worries. I just assumed your were trying to throw in a real answer to my question.

Level 9

Threats pending

#156582 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I do it often myself. No biggie
Yes, you do. Quite often.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#156583 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Dummy, how many ways can I ask how the religious beliefs of 15,000 years ago are known to you? You are this stupid aren't you.
You don't know anything and your statements are just pulled out of your butt. Probably from right near your head.
How many times can I tell you I don't know.

So lets ask you. Can you prove they never had any religious believes back then. If not STFU.

And Oh who was it on the other thread that said I would keep responding to you. If you did not notice I had stopped responding to you and yet you came back again. LMAO.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#156584 Oct 12, 2013
Spiritual wisdom that comes from seeking and understanding the True and Living God, gives everyone who wants to understand the ability to understand that there is a spirit realm where good and evil are waging a battle for the souls of good and evil men constantly.

If we are determined not to believe this to be true, it will sound like foolishness.
Until we choose the Truth of God over science or knowledge or anything else, we are spiritually blind..

Level 9

Threats pending

#156585 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So lets ask you. Can you prove they never had any religious believes back then. If not STFU.
And Oh who was it on the other thread that said I would keep responding to you. If you did not notice I had stopped responding to you and yet you came back again. LMAO.
So basically your statement is as I concluded, bullshit. Thank you for confirming. Now STFU!!!

Level 9

Threats pending

#156586 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't gone to bed yet and you have done it twice in the last two weeks kissass.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#156587 Oct 12, 2013
Ok brainiacs and science scholars. Here is your next simple question.

White/bluish light flashes occur many times right before a large earthquake and last for several seconds. Why is that?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#156588 Oct 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There wasn't any concept anything resembling the Abrahamic beliefs before 100-600 BCE. When Judaism rose and then Christianity in the first century while Islam about 600 AD.
15,000 years ago man most probably worship fertility goddesses and ancestor skulls stupid crap like that. Effigy's of giant PP's and things like that. 7 thousand years ago they worship a cycle of life
and the motion of the stars and the moon. 5 thousand years ago the worship the sun god.
But it isn't difficult to extrapolate that any society that existed 15,000 years ago had to have more than fertility goddesses, ancestor skulls and some effigies. They had pretty much the same brain as contemporary humans, and many of the rock bottom fundamental problems as contemporary humans (like the need for justice, hope, revenge, etc). I think they would have called on supernatural forces to cement their values just as contemporary humans do.

If our current society didn't have writing, and some future anthropology study looked at our beliefs, they might say-- Ya, well they had some effigies and some symbols that they worshipped, crosses and such, but not much else.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#156589 Oct 12, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I have a grasp of good and evil that you cannot understand.
So, are you saying that good and evil do matter? Are you saying that good and evil do exist?
But, I thought you were one of those that thinks everything that is relevant in life can be explained (if not totally proven at least in theory) in the scientific evidence record.
Now, tell me when good and evil began to matter in the evolutionary process. Is good better than evil or is evil better than good? Who or what determines what is good and what is evil.
Like beauty, is good and evil in the eye if the beholder.
Or, is good and evil understood in the spirit because they both exist in the spirit realm.
There is a Holy Spirit (God) and there is an evil spirit (Satan). If you don't believe in or understand the spiritual/supernatural, it is because you do not have a spiritual understanding that only comes through seeking to know God.
Good and evil exist in the hearts of men. Those who cannot comprehend that need saints and devils.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#156590 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree with you in that the moral requirements for a workable society are pretty much that same at any time and place human nature is what it is. Honesty, fidelity, property, etc have always been valued at least by members of the same community, and the temptation to transgress on these points has always been there too. Similar rules, different gods.

Religious people are afraid that with no gods, the fabric unravels. And that is the guts of their objection to modern biology, geology, physics, cosmology, and chemistry. They pretend they are fighting the prevailing views on a scientific basis but as UC's last travesty of pseudoscience just showed, nothing could be further from the truth. They lie about the sciencebecause they are afraid of the consequences.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#156591 Oct 12, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree with you in that the moral requirements for a workable society are pretty much that same at any time and place human nature is what it is. Honesty, fidelity, property, etc have always been valued at least by members of the same community, and the temptation to transgress on these points has always been there too. Similar rules, different gods.
Religious people are afraid that with no gods, the fabric unravels. And that is the guts of their objection to modern biology, geology, physics, cosmology, and chemistry. They pretend they are fighting the prevailing views on a scientific basis but as UC's last travesty of pseudoscience just showed, nothing could be further from the truth. They lie about the sciencebecause they are afraid of the consequences.
Exactly Chimney. It is amazing what man has worshiped over the many thousands of years. From sticks and stones, to fire and ice, to Suns and Gods. One thing that was worshiped would be replaced by something that was new or saw for the first time(a new discovery). There have been more Gods/worship idols than we can count but even though the idols or Gods have changed the same concept of it all falls in the same lines. It falls into what people get a fixation on, what they canít explain, the stories told and passed down and by what people want to believe. Letís take fire for an example. I would guess when it was first discovered man or early man thought it was a God a gift from a God. Which goes back to whatever new came along to someone it was probably a God or worshiped.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#156592 Oct 12, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
If they don't care about the Christian religion, why are they so afraid their Children might learn something about it in a public school classroom.
Baloney, cite one example where you have had faith pushed into your face or into a classroom where it was not relevant to the subject at hand.
The "vocal minority" can incite riots and create havoc for the masses when the silent majority are pushing an agenda behind the scenes in places like Congress and the Judicial system in America.
It's way more complicated than that. What happens when, say you are a catholic and the teacher is preaching a baptist message?
(When I was nine or ten, a friend invited me to his sunday school meeting. What happened was the minister spent about an hour preaching about how rotten catholics were.)
The government cannot give financial support or support of particular beliefs to any religion or faction of religion without doing injustice to others left out.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#156593 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Ok brainiacs and science scholars. Here is your next simple question.
White/bluish light flashes occur many times right before a large earthquake and last for several seconds. Why is that?
Ummm...it happens because there's an earthquake coming?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#156594 Oct 12, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...it happens because there's an earthquake coming?
lol Apple. I have to give you a high 5 on that one but it won't be an acceptable answer by science standards.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156595 Oct 13, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But it isn't difficult to extrapolate that any society that existed 15,000 years ago had to have more than fertility goddesses, ancestor skulls and some effigies. They had pretty much the same brain as contemporary humans, and many of the rock bottom fundamental problems as contemporary humans (like the need for justice, hope, revenge, etc). I think they would have called on supernatural forces to cement their values just as contemporary humans do.
If our current society didn't have writing, and some future anthropology study looked at our beliefs, they might say-- Ya, well they had some effigies and some symbols that they worshipped, crosses and such, but not much else.
They were pretty wild 15,000 years ago, just think ..no modern science, no primitive science...no science at all.
They had stone tipped spears and a herd to chase down.
Laws what are laws? The law is unga bunga is bigger than you.
The brightest one of the bunch counted to ten once.
Family values, it's all trying to eat you first.

Pretty much like the most advanced people were probably the paleo Indian tribes and the hunter gatherers that built Gobekli Tepe.
Cannibalism is rampart, and ritual sacrifice is normal.
We thought the hood was rough, but wolves and other predators most likely feasted regularly on humans then. Life expectancy 25-30 years.
And cold... very cold winters, smack in the ice age cold.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#156596 Oct 13, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good and evil exist in the hearts of men. Those who cannot comprehend that need saints and devils.
Yes! Good and evil exist in the "hearts" soul/spirit of men. At least you understand that there is a place in the human consciousness that exists apart from the intellect/brain.
Our body of flesh that will someday die and return to dust is controlled by the brain. When the brain dies the body no longer functions in a conscious state. Modern science can keep a brain dead body alive by keeping oxygen pumped into the bloodstream, but at that point the body is no more than the machine that pumps air into the lungs. The physical heart is a part of that machine as well. It is dead without the brain.

The "heart" where good and evil dwell is the soul/spirit. If the connection between the mind/ brain and the spirit/"heart" is the soul, then the soul/ spirit lives on in another realm/ dimension once the mind/ brain is dead.

Angels and demons are a part of the spirit realm and can only be understood in the connection that occurs between our spirit and God's Holy Spirit. If you do not choose to make that connection, you are spiritually blind to the things that only make sense when God's Holy Spirit reveals it to us in our spirit.

Your brain may be chocked full of scientific knowledge. You are understandably confident in and proud of what YOU have accomplished. Until you realize YOU can do nothing without the God who created you helping you, sustaining you, supporting you, you are spiritually dead/ blind/ ignorant.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#156597 Oct 13, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! Good and evil exist in the "hearts" soul/spirit of men. At least you understand that there is a place in the human consciousness that exists apart from the intellect/brain.
Our body of flesh that will someday die and return to dust is controlled by the brain. When the brain dies the body no longer functions in a conscious state. Modern science can keep a brain dead body alive by keeping oxygen pumped into the bloodstream, but at that point the body is no more than the machine that pumps air into the lungs. The physical heart is a part of that machine as well. It is dead without the brain.
The "heart" where good and evil dwell is the soul/spirit. If the connection between the mind/ brain and the spirit/"heart" is the soul, then the soul/ spirit lives on in another realm/ dimension once the mind/ brain is dead.
Angels and demons are a part of the spirit realm and can only be understood in the connection that occurs between our spirit and God's Holy Spirit. If you do not choose to make that connection, you are spiritually blind to the things that only make sense when God's Holy Spirit reveals it to us in our spirit.
Your brain may be chocked full of scientific knowledge. You are understandably confident in and proud of what YOU have accomplished. Until you realize YOU can do nothing without the God who created you helping you, sustaining you, supporting you, you are spiritually dead/ blind/ ignorant.
Whats to say the part of a mind you call heart/soul, to distinguish it from the dry intellect, is not just another part of the brain? Also the endocrine system etc....but still basically of the same material as everything else?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min replaytime 116,670
Need clarification on evolution 1 hr Dogen 7
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 1 hr Chimney1 517
Darwin on the rocks 2 hr Dogen 1
New review critical of "Origins" 16 hr DanFromSmithville 17
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) Thu Chimney1 137,094
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Wed Kong_ 62
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••