Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 7,619)

Showing posts 152,361 - 152,380 of168,543
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life is a learning highway”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

that too many get lost on

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Hinduism or Zeusism??
I don't know Ooogah. But they certainly had some name for it.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

replaytime wrote:
You claimed "Your petty, childish name calling and lies aren't going to cut it."
I responded with "LMAO. I called you dipshyt "once". It was not a name to call you but more of how you are acting. You looking for more attention and pity again trying to act like you are being attacked."
Now you again try to change the subject. Step up little man and back what you claim and accuse me of.
You clearly are not going to offer any substantive evidence of the religions of 15,000 years ago are you. You aren't even going to try.

I am not doing anything but asking for your evidence. You have done everything to avoid providing it.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know Ooogah. But they certainly had some name for it.
An over active imagination perhaps?
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I gladly respond to honest questions with honest answers.
Work out the thinly veiled hostility with yourself and get back to me.
I think you would have to agree that the majority of people who consider themselves "Christians" (followers of Christ) believe that He was the person the New Testament writers believed Him to be.
You have said on this forum that you consider yourself a Christian. You have also said that you do not believe Jesus was the Christ/the prophesied Messiah of the Old Testament/and not one of the three individual "persons" of the Trinity.(Maybe not in so many words, so if I have misunderstood, please tell me.)

You have either missed my question or chosen not to answer why you feel comfortable calling yourself a Christian, and who or what you believe God to be, since you say you believe in God.

I hope there is no hostility in my heart toward you personally or anyone else on this forum for that matter. One of the things that keep this forum interesting to someone like me is how you guys can disagree over the same issue over and over, yet continue to try to get your point across to the other side.

The name calling gets a little ugly sometimes, but for the most part I find it funny to hear (what I imagine to be mostly very intelligent, well educated grown men) calling each other names you probably haven't used in speaking directly to anyone since high school ( or maybe drunk, as the case with Chimney last week).

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You clearly are not going to offer any substantive evidence of the religions of 15,000 years ago are you. You aren't even going to try.
I am not doing anything but asking for your evidence. You have done everything to avoid providing it.
I have answered this like 3 times now. What part of me saying "I don't know" do you not understand? I am sorry but I can't draw that out in crayon for you on here. You are just going to have to learn to take the context for what it means.

And just a heads up. If you ask me again I will just repost this answer for it is self explanatory to any one that can read.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You clearly are not going to offer any substantive evidence of the religions of 15,000 years ago are you. You aren't even going to try.
You are like one way or another. but instead of endlessly repeating "science by Jim Ryan" with you it is "stupid questions from DanFromSmithville" You just keep doing/asking the same thing and expecting different results. Yes that was said by a man in our history. You figure it out.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Reverse the positions of the word believers and atheists (and reread your post).
The hardest place to see a mountain is on the mountain.
Well, I tried that and it made no sense to me.
On top of the mountain you can see so much more.
And you may be able to see many more mountains AND the one one which you are standing with a much better understanding of what a mountain really is. Wouldn't you agree?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think each and every culture and civilization called a dog a dog from since it has been in existence? That is my point. Basing Christianity off of Jesus is ridiculous. Every culture and civilization had their own Gods and beliefs before Jesus existed even though they did not call it Christianity. As I said you can call a cat a dog but it is still a dog.

Okay. We seem to be on the same page. Sorry I misunderstood.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I tried that and it made no sense to me.
On top of the mountain you can see so much more.
And you may be able to see many more mountains AND the one one which you are standing with a much better understanding of what a mountain really is. Wouldn't you agree?

I would agree that is not the point of my metaphor.

Perhaps the Johari window: http://designedalliance.com/wp-content/upload...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
There wasn't any concept anything resembling the Abrahamic beliefs before 100-600 BCE. When Judaism rose and then Christianity in the first century while Islam about 600 AD.
15,000 years ago man most probably worship fertility goddesses and ancestor skulls stupid crap like that. Effigy's of giant PP's and things like that. 7 thousand years ago they worship a cycle of life
and the motion of the stars and the moon. 5 thousand years ago the worship the sun god.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Leave it up to you to take many posts of different things and try to entwine them into one. Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines. As time went on and more civilizations split and went their separate way they still took some beliefs and a form of God with them. Their beliefs were modified and their Gods re-named but it all was still along the same lines.
And if you want cannibalism in there, some cultures believed if you ate a part of a person it would heal your own ailing part or that you would always have a connection with that person. Thus falling back on beliefs of that culture/civilization. Kind of like when a young hunter goes out and kills his first deer. Some people still now days think he should drink a little blood or some other silly crap to become one with the spirit to become a mighty hunter.
Here is the post I asked about. You claim that there was a religion 15,000 years ago that was like or was Christianity, but was not called that or may not have been called that.

I have asked for your evidence and you turned it into a pissing contest to avoid backing up your claim. As I said, you have been on here long enough to know that if you make a claim, you should have the courtesy to provide evidence supporting that claim. Your multi-post dance around providing that has been entertaining, but not very enlightening.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There wasn't any concept anything resembling the Abrahamic beliefs before 100-600 BCE. When Judaism rose and then Christianity in the first century while Islam about 600 AD.
15,000 years ago man most probably worship fertility goddesses and ancestor skulls stupid crap like that. Effigy's of giant PP's and things like that. 7 thousand years ago they worship a cycle of life
and the motion of the stars and the moon. 5 thousand years ago the worship the sun god.
Yeah, I know, but dumb ass makes a claim and then runs around spouting nonsense hoping no one will notice that it doesn't make sense or they will give up on any follow up.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I know, but dumb ass makes a claim and then runs around spouting nonsense hoping no one will notice that it doesn't make sense or they will give up on any follow up.
That should have bee 1000-600 and posted to Replaytime ...um sorry. lol
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is saying good and evil doesn't matter. Get a grip.
I think I have a grasp of good and evil that you cannot understand.

So, are you saying that good and evil do matter? Are you saying that good and evil do exist?
But, I thought you were one of those that thinks everything that is relevant in life can be explained (if not totally proven at least in theory) in the scientific evidence record.

Now, tell me when good and evil began to matter in the evolutionary process. Is good better than evil or is evil better than good? Who or what determines what is good and what is evil.

Like beauty, is good and evil in the eye if the beholder.

Or, is good and evil understood in the spirit because they both exist in the spirit realm.

There is a Holy Spirit (God) and there is an evil spirit (Satan). If you don't believe in or understand the spiritual/supernatural, it is because you do not have a spiritual understanding that only comes through seeking to know God.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Most? I seriou8sly doubt that. I know quite a few and the majority of them don't really care about your religion. Unless, you start oushiing it in their faces. Or into a science classroom.
Yes, there are a few hard-heads. I know a couple of them as well. But they are a minority in my experience.
<quoted text>
"...the ones we usually hear from..." Exactly. The vocal *minority*.
<quoted text>
Baloney. Cite one example where you have been forbidden to express your faith in public.
If they don't care about the Christian religion, why are they so afraid their Children might learn something about it in a public school classroom.

Baloney, cite one example where you have had faith pushed into your face or into a classroom where it was not relevant to the subject at hand.

The "vocal minority" can incite riots and create havoc for the masses when the silent majority are pushing an agenda behind the scenes in places like Congress and the Judicial system in America.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the post I asked about. You claim that there was a religion 15,000 years ago that was like or was Christianity, but was not called that or may not have been called that.
I have asked for your evidence and you turned it into a pissing contest to avoid backing up your claim. As I said, you have been on here long enough to know that if you make a claim, you should have the courtesy to provide evidence supporting that claim. Your multi-post dance around providing that has been entertaining, but not very enlightening.
Are you really this effen daft???

I said and I quote "Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines."

"may not" are keys words - I don't know and "but fell along the same lines" - what ever they worshipped they held sacred and followed.

Topix moderators please make a crayon app so I can draw Dan some pictures. LMAO

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. We seem to be on the same page. Sorry I misunderstood.
I do it often myself. No biggie

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really this effen daft???
I said and I quote "Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines."
"may not" are keys words - I don't know and "but fell along the same lines" - what ever they worshipped they held sacred and followed.
Topix moderators please make a crayon app so I can draw Dan some pictures. LMAO
Dummy, how many ways can I ask how the religious beliefs of 15,000 years ago are known to you? You are this stupid aren't you.

You don't know anything and your statements are just pulled out of your butt. Probably from right near your head.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> That should have bee 1000-600 and posted to Replaytime ...um sorry. lol
No worries. I just assumed your were trying to throw in a real answer to my question.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I do it often myself. No biggie
Yes, you do. Quite often.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 152,361 - 152,380 of168,543
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••