Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 175,499

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“The Grim Reaper Is Fictional ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

But We Will All Meet Him

#156558 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You clearly are not going to offer any substantive evidence of the religions of 15,000 years ago are you. You aren't even going to try.
I am not doing anything but asking for your evidence. You have done everything to avoid providing it.
You are like one way or another. but instead of endlessly repeating "science by Jim Ryan" with you it is "stupid questions from DanFromSmithville" You just keep doing/asking the same thing and expecting different results. Yes that was said by a man in our history. You figure it out.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#156561 Oct 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Reverse the positions of the word believers and atheists (and reread your post).
The hardest place to see a mountain is on the mountain.
Well, I tried that and it made no sense to me.
On top of the mountain you can see so much more.
And you may be able to see many more mountains AND the one one which you are standing with a much better understanding of what a mountain really is. Wouldn't you agree?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#156563 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think each and every culture and civilization called a dog a dog from since it has been in existence? That is my point. Basing Christianity off of Jesus is ridiculous. Every culture and civilization had their own Gods and beliefs before Jesus existed even though they did not call it Christianity. As I said you can call a cat a dog but it is still a dog.

Okay. We seem to be on the same page. Sorry I misunderstood.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#156565 Oct 12, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I tried that and it made no sense to me.
On top of the mountain you can see so much more.
And you may be able to see many more mountains AND the one one which you are standing with a much better understanding of what a mountain really is. Wouldn't you agree?

I would agree that is not the point of my metaphor.

Perhaps the Johari window: http://designedalliance.com/wp-content/upload...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156566 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You clearly are not going to offer any substantive evidence of the religions of 15,000 years ago are you. You aren't even going to try.
I am not doing anything but asking for your evidence. You have done everything to avoid providing it.
There wasn't any concept anything resembling the Abrahamic beliefs before 100-600 BCE. When Judaism rose and then Christianity in the first century while Islam about 600 AD.
15,000 years ago man most probably worship fertility goddesses and ancestor skulls stupid crap like that. Effigy's of giant PP's and things like that. 7 thousand years ago they worship a cycle of life
and the motion of the stars and the moon. 5 thousand years ago the worship the sun god.

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#156568 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Leave it up to you to take many posts of different things and try to entwine them into one. Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines. As time went on and more civilizations split and went their separate way they still took some beliefs and a form of God with them. Their beliefs were modified and their Gods re-named but it all was still along the same lines.
And if you want cannibalism in there, some cultures believed if you ate a part of a person it would heal your own ailing part or that you would always have a connection with that person. Thus falling back on beliefs of that culture/civilization. Kind of like when a young hunter goes out and kills his first deer. Some people still now days think he should drink a little blood or some other silly crap to become one with the spirit to become a mighty hunter.
Here is the post I asked about. You claim that there was a religion 15,000 years ago that was like or was Christianity, but was not called that or may not have been called that.

I have asked for your evidence and you turned it into a pissing contest to avoid backing up your claim. As I said, you have been on here long enough to know that if you make a claim, you should have the courtesy to provide evidence supporting that claim. Your multi-post dance around providing that has been entertaining, but not very enlightening.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#156569 Oct 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There wasn't any concept anything resembling the Abrahamic beliefs before 100-600 BCE. When Judaism rose and then Christianity in the first century while Islam about 600 AD.
15,000 years ago man most probably worship fertility goddesses and ancestor skulls stupid crap like that. Effigy's of giant PP's and things like that. 7 thousand years ago they worship a cycle of life
and the motion of the stars and the moon. 5 thousand years ago the worship the sun god.
Yeah, I know, but dumb ass makes a claim and then runs around spouting nonsense hoping no one will notice that it doesn't make sense or they will give up on any follow up.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156572 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I know, but dumb ass makes a claim and then runs around spouting nonsense hoping no one will notice that it doesn't make sense or they will give up on any follow up.
That should have bee 1000-600 and posted to Replaytime ...um sorry. lol
Believer

Manchester, TN

#156573 Oct 12, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is saying good and evil doesn't matter. Get a grip.
I think I have a grasp of good and evil that you cannot understand.

So, are you saying that good and evil do matter? Are you saying that good and evil do exist?
But, I thought you were one of those that thinks everything that is relevant in life can be explained (if not totally proven at least in theory) in the scientific evidence record.

Now, tell me when good and evil began to matter in the evolutionary process. Is good better than evil or is evil better than good? Who or what determines what is good and what is evil.

Like beauty, is good and evil in the eye if the beholder.

Or, is good and evil understood in the spirit because they both exist in the spirit realm.

There is a Holy Spirit (God) and there is an evil spirit (Satan). If you don't believe in or understand the spiritual/supernatural, it is because you do not have a spiritual understanding that only comes through seeking to know God.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#156575 Oct 12, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Most? I seriou8sly doubt that. I know quite a few and the majority of them don't really care about your religion. Unless, you start oushiing it in their faces. Or into a science classroom.
Yes, there are a few hard-heads. I know a couple of them as well. But they are a minority in my experience.
<quoted text>
"...the ones we usually hear from..." Exactly. The vocal *minority*.
<quoted text>
Baloney. Cite one example where you have been forbidden to express your faith in public.
If they don't care about the Christian religion, why are they so afraid their Children might learn something about it in a public school classroom.

Baloney, cite one example where you have had faith pushed into your face or into a classroom where it was not relevant to the subject at hand.

The "vocal minority" can incite riots and create havoc for the masses when the silent majority are pushing an agenda behind the scenes in places like Congress and the Judicial system in America.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#156576 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the post I asked about. You claim that there was a religion 15,000 years ago that was like or was Christianity, but was not called that or may not have been called that.
I have asked for your evidence and you turned it into a pissing contest to avoid backing up your claim. As I said, you have been on here long enough to know that if you make a claim, you should have the courtesy to provide evidence supporting that claim. Your multi-post dance around providing that has been entertaining, but not very enlightening.
Are you really this effen daft???

I said and I quote "Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines."

"may not" are keys words - I don't know and "but fell along the same lines" - what ever they worshipped they held sacred and followed.

Topix moderators please make a crayon app so I can draw Dan some pictures. LMAO

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#156579 Oct 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. We seem to be on the same page. Sorry I misunderstood.
I do it often myself. No biggie

Level 9

founded in facts.

#156580 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really this effen daft???
I said and I quote "Mans Gods and beliefs 15,000 years ago may not have been called Christianity but fell along the same lines."
"may not" are keys words - I don't know and "but fell along the same lines" - what ever they worshipped they held sacred and followed.
Topix moderators please make a crayon app so I can draw Dan some pictures. LMAO
Dummy, how many ways can I ask how the religious beliefs of 15,000 years ago are known to you? You are this stupid aren't you.

You don't know anything and your statements are just pulled out of your butt. Probably from right near your head.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#156581 Oct 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> That should have bee 1000-600 and posted to Replaytime ...um sorry. lol
No worries. I just assumed your were trying to throw in a real answer to my question.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#156582 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I do it often myself. No biggie
Yes, you do. Quite often.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#156583 Oct 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Dummy, how many ways can I ask how the religious beliefs of 15,000 years ago are known to you? You are this stupid aren't you.
You don't know anything and your statements are just pulled out of your butt. Probably from right near your head.
How many times can I tell you I don't know.

So lets ask you. Can you prove they never had any religious believes back then. If not STFU.

And Oh who was it on the other thread that said I would keep responding to you. If you did not notice I had stopped responding to you and yet you came back again. LMAO.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#156584 Oct 12, 2013
Spiritual wisdom that comes from seeking and understanding the True and Living God, gives everyone who wants to understand the ability to understand that there is a spirit realm where good and evil are waging a battle for the souls of good and evil men constantly.

If we are determined not to believe this to be true, it will sound like foolishness.
Until we choose the Truth of God over science or knowledge or anything else, we are spiritually blind..

Level 9

founded in facts.

#156585 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So lets ask you. Can you prove they never had any religious believes back then. If not STFU.
And Oh who was it on the other thread that said I would keep responding to you. If you did not notice I had stopped responding to you and yet you came back again. LMAO.
So basically your statement is as I concluded, bullshit. Thank you for confirming. Now STFU!!!

Level 9

founded in facts.

#156586 Oct 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't gone to bed yet and you have done it twice in the last two weeks kissass.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#156587 Oct 12, 2013
Ok brainiacs and science scholars. Here is your next simple question.

White/bluish light flashes occur many times right before a large earthquake and last for several seconds. Why is that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 39 min Chimney1 106
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 43 min Chimney1 128,024
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Chimney1 139,662
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Thu Ooogah Boogah 13,578
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) Nov 26 MikeF 1,902
More Theories to Disprove Creation Nov 26 The Dude 64
Atheism - A Non Prophet Organisation (Mar '11) Nov 25 The Dude 996

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE