Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180376 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

forreal

Edroy, TX

#153861 Sep 20, 2013
Light in the Day time has a difficult time to travel or to be measures by distance, with the nake eye. Light will alway prevail even when its not seen by the human eye it cannot be overcome by darkness.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#153862 Sep 20, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
There is so much they talk about as if its fact and everyone should agree with when its all just wild ass guess.
Donut was going to prove my Time statement wrong with Stephen Hawkins who claims real time started at the singularity when all the laws of physics break down. This is a believe because its outside of observable science it goes against all the laws of the universe it Stevens religion. And it's exactly what I have said. The existence of time breaks all the laws physics.
Time was created.
And science doesn't have a clue how to date things. From star to coal.

No. Unless you make some sort of scientific case for this there is no reason to continue to respond to your assertions.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#153863 Sep 20, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been checked and rechecked by other scientist. Duh en!

More than the age of the universe?

No?

Oh well.

You want my prediction as to how this will be resolved?

Spurious data vs. a large base of established data.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#153864 Sep 20, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm referring to abiogenesis, and the creation of DNA from raw materials, NOT from pre-existing DNA. If sufficient energy hits the earth every day, why is abiogenesis to occurring now?

I know of no theory that has DNA being created directly from raw materials.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153865 Sep 20, 2013
where the carnal man see darkness and is limited the spirtual man sees light beyond darkness and light is not bound to a limit!His Glory will overcome the shadows of darkness!
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153866 Sep 20, 2013
God is light and there is no darkness in him! He will be the Light of the World and his Kingdom.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153867 Sep 20, 2013
Darkness is always limited it has no furture of Life but damnation!
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153868 Sep 20, 2013
Darkness is trapped and it will all sink into a dark hole!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153869 Sep 20, 2013
forreal wrote:
God is also Light without him nothing exited! light cant be measured by distance. Darkness was created for satan an it can be overruled bythe light but man and satan has refuse the light cause there deeds are evil!
You might attempt coherency some time. It can be useful for communication.

So, God is electromagnetic?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153870 Sep 20, 2013
forreal wrote:
Light in the Day time has a difficult time to travel or to be measures by distance, with the nake eye. Light will alway prevail even when its not seen by the human eye it cannot be overcome by darkness.
What are even trying to say here? Light travels just as far in the day as it does at night. There is no problem measuring distances with light. We do it all the time.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153871 Sep 20, 2013
Darkness will be overcome with light from all 4 corners of the earth and every man and child will see him!
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153872 Sep 20, 2013
Light has gone through man its just like Alfred said it curves around the planet but it also goes through! Light is powerful!
HTS

Sidney, MT

#153873 Sep 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be. But in our example, the body was frozen. The change in entropy from freezing outweighs that from denaturation.
<quoted text>
It has *everything* to do with lowered entropy. The polarization is *mechanism* for decreasing entropy, but the fact that the water molecules are in a very orderly arrangement is what says the entropy is lower.
Let's put it this way: which is more ordered, a nice neat stack of bricks or a bunch of bricks tumbled into a pile? The frozen water is like the nice neat stack: orderly arrangement of molecules. The liquid water is like the pile: disorderly arrangement of molecules. But, in addition, in the liquid those molecules are *also* moving around and past each other, which means even more entropy.
<quoted text>
No, this is false. For one thing, you also need to consider the rotational aspects: the water molecules cannot freely rotate in ice. That is a decrease in available microstates.
Now, for other solids, the entropies *would* be the same at absolute zero. That is the *third* law of thermodynamics. The question for higher temperatures will depend on the specific quantum states and their energies. Each material has quantum states at different energies, which affects their 'availability' at any given temperature.
<quoted text>
And diamond is a low entropy form of carbon *because* of the orderly arrangement of the atoms of carbon. The reason it forms such a structure is the nature of the carbon atoms, but this is mechanism and not entropy.
Entropy does not depend on mechanism. it only depends on the state of the material. That is what it means to be a state variable.
I think we need to pause and make sure we agree on the definition of order. I agree that a symmetrical stack of bricks is more ordered than a random pile. Why? Not because it looks better, but because it has predictability.

You have defined "order" in terms of how much information would be required to describe it microscopically. I find that to be a totally inadequate definition. According to that definition, 1,000 pages of quantum physics would be less ordered than 1,000 blank pages of "0's". It seems that every time I bring up "order", you want to instead use the word "entropy". I know that entropy can be ultimately described in terms of "order."

I have blown a massive hole in the idea that order is a simple function of temperature. If a person dies of hypothermia after being submerged in, for example, 50 degre water, every cell in his body IMMEDIATELY begins to autolyze at the moment of death. Potassium leaks out of cells, enzymes denature proteins, the brain begins to turn to mush... YOu can't tell me that your simplistic model of lower temperature decreasing entropy applies. I see alot of speacial pleading in your logic. You contend that the denatured protein of a boiled egg, which has solidified with heat, has greater entropy, but cannot justify that assertion with your definition of entropy in terms of numbers of microsctates.

Here's another example...a dormant seed sits in the ground all winter. When it receives heat from the sun, it developes into a plant. Is the plant less ordered than the seed? If it is, evolutionists are contradicting themselves, because that argument is commonloy used as evidence that the sun's energy can create order.

I think you should give a definition of "order". You and Chimney have stated that ice is more ordered than DNA. That defies common sense, and you need to reference your definition.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153874 Sep 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What are even trying to say here? Light travels just as far in the day as it does at night. There is no problem measuring distances with light. We do it all the time.
Light is always expanding its cant be measured by man everyday exactly the same.
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153875 Sep 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You might attempt coherency some time. It can be useful for communication.
So, God is electromagnetic?
God light cant be measured by man he would die! Light is everywhere even in places that seem to be dark! It like when a man is place in a dark room its takes time for him to adjust.LOLOLOL
forreal

Edroy, TX

#153876 Sep 20, 2013
Man himself would have more light in himself if he would let the word of God shine in him!

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#153877 Sep 20, 2013
one way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
That's so much horseshit. Predators go after the old, the injured and the young.
No one can show that they were somehow any less than all their counterparts.
Yes, the old, the injured, the young, the sick and the slow. Anything that is unfit to compete for survival.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#153878 Sep 20, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm referring to abiogenesis
That's nice, I was referring to chemistry. Your claim is that it can naturally make DNA now but in the beginning it could not have happened without the intervention of a Jewish wizard. And that's fine. It still has no bearing on the validity of evolution even if your wizard was responsible for abiogenesis. Obviously something was, then life evolved.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#153879 Sep 20, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of no theory that has DNA being created directly from raw materials.
Like dirt and a spare rib?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#153880 Sep 20, 2013
HTS wrote:
Here's another example...a dormant seed sits in the ground all winter. When it receives heat from the sun, it developes into a plant. Is the plant less ordered than the seed? If it is, evolutionists are contradicting themselves, because that argument is commonloy used as evidence that the sun's energy can create order.
But the seed came from a tree. And contained all the information required to grow into a tree and produce more seeds. The evolutionists need to show how some highly ordered energy created a slightl lower ordered system,(tree/seed) in the first place. It works with creation by intelligent designer; it doesn't work with evolution because how can you create a highly order system (seed/tree) with low ordered energy (sun/lightning/soup)?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min SATAN 222,189
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr replaytime 78,567
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! 4 hr Endofdays 790
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 6 hr Eagle 12 - 1,362
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 14 hr Science 162,986
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Science 32,431
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web