Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#150313 Sep 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
This:
<quoted text>
And this:
<quoted text>
Are quite contradictory.
Oh? Not in Realityland.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#150314 Sep 6, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Could someone explain the evolution of evolution as it relates to two sexes evolving (male with male reproductive organs and female with female reproductive organs) and how evolution of those species ceased and the male/female reproduction process took over?
This may sound like a stupid question to a scientist/biologist. If it is a stupid question, someone must have an intelligent explanation as to why it would be considered stupid.
(Sounds like I'm throwing myself under the stupid bus before one of you do.)
Google "synapsid."
Godlust

Champaign, IL

#150315 Sep 6, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Man is so stupid, that he is stripping the planet of its natural resources,poisoning its air, ground and water and over populating the planet, to where he will very likely destroy all.
Lol, evolving to the destruction of all! Morons
Humans are on a collision course with extinction. Take the Bible for instance, a manmade fable, a fantasy world......and look around they are kil65ing each other for what....Something that doesnt exist except in their learned human behavior world. Or, they came from a rib or apes or comet dust.....dont fear the truth!
HTS

Mandan, ND

#150316 Sep 6, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but for a minute, pretend you are talking to your mom or grandmother, or older sister.... ;o )
Make it simple (no big scientific terms). How did whales that live only in the ocean evolve from land mammals that live only on land that evolved from reptiles that live on land that evolved from amphibians that live in water and land that evolved from fish that live only in water?
Seems to me there is a missing link between the land mammal and the ocean mammal. Is that what you are still looking for a fossil for (a man/whale kind of thing).:-/
To go from point A to point B, there must be a midway point that will have to be crossed.
No conceptual functional intermediates exist midway between a land mammal and a whale.

You will simply be accused of incredulity and/or lack of imagination.

Be prepared to be ridiculed for your lack of faith in the evo-fairy.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#150317 Sep 6, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Google "synapsid."
Nice dodge, LowellGuy.

How did tail flukes evolve?
How did echolocation evolve?
How did superior intelligence and complex social integration evolve?
How did migratory instincts evolve?
How did a blowhole evolve?
How did live birth underwater evolve?
How did the ability to suspend respiration evolve?
How did the herbivore/carnivore transition evolve?

I already know your simplistic answer... mutations + natural selection + millions of years.....

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#150318 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
To go from point A to point B, there must be a midway point that will have to be crossed.
No conceptual functional intermediates exist midway between a land mammal and a whale.
And yet the link I supplied had several "functional intermediates" even though How's That for Stupid is apt to deny it.

Not only that we can see the evolution of the blow hole repeated in embryology, a particularly sore subject with HST, in fact it leaves him butt sore every time he confronts it.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#150319 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

You mean you gave me bad judgements and did not look at the links I gave.

How's That for Stupid.
What transition? The land based animal that the whale evolved from was a carnivore. Have you been watching too much Kent Hovind again?
I already know your simplistic answer... mutations + natural selection + millions of years.....
Rather simplistic, but correct.

What do you have to support your beliefs? Do you have any scientific evidence at all for creationism? I seriously doubt it.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#150320 Sep 6, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but for a minute, pretend you are talking to your mom or grandmother, or older sister.... ;o )
Make it simple (no big scientific terms). How did whales that live only in the ocean evolve from land mammals that live only on land that evolved from reptiles that live on land that evolved from amphibians that live in water and land that evolved from fish that live only in water?
Seems to me there is a missing link between the land mammal and the ocean mammal. Is that what you are still looking for a fossil for (a man/whale kind of thing).:-/
Sea otters, Sea lions and seals (though not related to whales) show how whales might have evolved from land animals through intermediate stages.

Location hidden

#150321 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice dodge, LowellGuy.
How did tail flukes evolve?
How did echolocation evolve?
How did superior intelligence and complex social integration evolve?
How did migratory instincts evolve?
How did live birth underwater evolve?
How did the ability to suspend respiration evolve?
If you know the answer then why ask the question?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#150322 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Several, dumbass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_evolution
HTS wrote:
Blah, blah, blah.

“It Is What It Is”

Level 2

Since: Jul 13

Alberta, Canada

#150323 Sep 6, 2013
Every living thing, past and present, 300 million to 1 billion species, all animals, all plants, all bacteria, all insects, all fungi, EVERYTHING that ever existed with life all came from a singled celled organism. At the count of three you will wake up from your dream. 1, 2, 3, SNAP!

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#150324 Sep 6, 2013
Believer wrote:
And, no, I don't watch TV as a general rule ( only Fox News and a FEW carefully chosen Christian programs and History/Food/travel/NGeo etc.).i.e., I don't choose to be stupid either!
Remember when I was trying to explain what "contradiction" means?

Location hidden

#150325 Sep 6, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Could someone explain the evolution of evolution as it relates to two sexes evolving (male with male reproductive organs and female with female reproductive organs) and how evolution of those species ceased and the male/female reproduction process took over?
This may sound like a stupid question to a scientist/biologist. If it is a stupid question, someone must have an intelligent explanation as to why it would be considered stupid.
(Sounds like I'm throwing myself under the stupid bus before one of you do.)
All multicellular life and much single celled life starts as a single Eukaryote cell (including you and me).

Eukaryote cells have 2 copies of DNA.
They can divide into 2 cells each with 2 copies of their DNA (Mitosis) called Diploids or into 4 cells each with 1 copy of their DNA (Meiosis) called Haploids.
When 2 Haploids meet they can combine to form a Diploid, and that is sex!(Sperm and eggs are haploid cells).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eukaryote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis

So sex began with Eukaryotes when only singled celled life existed.

Sperm and eggs are both produced by the same cells which is why many simple creatures can change sex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_herma...
The difference between them is that eggs are big and full of food whilst sperm are tiny with everything not required stripped out, a tail added and produced in vast numbers.

Why there are 2 sexes rather than just one is unclear but there's probably a statistical reason for it to work better.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#150326 Sep 6, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Google "whale evolution."
HTS

Englewood, CO

#150327 Sep 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Several, dumbass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_evolution
<quoted text>
Blah, blah, blah.
You only weaken your position.
Posting a link from the wiki is not an answer... It's a dodge.
The wiki link fails to answer any of my questions.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#150328 Sep 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the link I supplied had several "functional intermediates" even though How's That for Stupid is apt to deny it.
Not only that we can see the evolution of the blow hole repeated in embryology, a particularly sore subject with HST, in fact it leaves him butt sore every time he confronts it.
You supplied no functional intermediates that haven't repeatedly been debunked.
...and embryology has nothing to do with evolution.
You're living in the dark ages.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#150329 Sep 6, 2013
Godlust wrote:
<quoted text>Humans are on a collision course with extinction. Take the Bible for instance, a manmade fable, a fantasy world......and look around they are kil65ing each other for what....Something that doesnt exist except in their learned human behavior world. Or, they came from a rib or apes or comet dust.....dont fear the truth!
I will never forget the name...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#150330 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're blind, Chimney.
Just read Darwin himself. He argued in Origin of Species that nature did not fit a model of intelligent creation.
Darwinism cannot be defended without references to religion.
Example, molecular homology.
You argue that it proves common descent. Your rationale? Because DNA doesn't look intelligently designed.
You think that nested hierarchies don't look like a foreordained plan.
That is the depth of your logic.
I NEVER have believed in ex nihilo creationism. Why do you ASSUME that intelligent design wold require such a thing?
Uh, because that's what it IS?

Even Cowboy doesn't bother to lie about that.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#150331 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You only weaken your position.
Posting a link from the wiki is not an answer... It's a dodge.
The wiki link fails to answer any of my questions.
I answered your damn question, jerkoff. You wanted intermediates. I provided them. Too bad if you didn't like them.

'Posting a link is a dodge.' What a whiny little shit you are.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#150332 Sep 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You supplied no functional intermediates that haven't repeatedly been debunked.
...and embryology has nothing to do with evolution.
You're living in the dark ages.
You haven't debunked anything. You just run your mouth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min ChromiuMan 218,779
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 28 min 15th Dalai Lama 157,531
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 39 min Regolith Based Li... 51,907
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 59 min scientia potentia... 24,734
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 18 hr scientia potentia... 98
News Darwin's Doubt: Giving a Case for Intelligent D... 18 hr scientia potentia... 1
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 23 hr Dogen 1,137
More from around the web