Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Sunderland, UK

#149400 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just click the webcam icon on the map and you get a live view.
Check it out:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms...
Actually that's quite cool - BUT for google street view to be COMPLETELY real time (which is what Jimbo insists is going to happen so the state can spy on us) you would need a webcam (well mutiple webcams to cover all angles) on EVERY street.

Does this seem a likely thing that google would do ?
Is it likely that the state would do this ?

I.e. do you agree with Jimbos assertion that this is what google street view WILL become

Careful now, Jim is one of your biggest cheerleaders
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#149401 Aug 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
If you throw out all of the nonsensical "miracles" you still will find a man with a sound philosophy.
You pick and choose which parts of your Bible you will believe, why is it hogwash if someone else does the same thing?
Oh really? And just what parts of the Bible do I NOT believe? You see, there you go again with your evotard BS arguments.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#149402 Aug 30, 2013
Concerned Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
You have make you disrespect for Christ obvious every time you open your "gaping maw" about the Bible (which is the basis of what Christians believe to be true about Jesus, and about Christians who believe Him to be who the Bible records He said Himself that He was.
You think you can disrespect Christianity without disrespecting Christ. You think this because in you way of thinking you can dissect the Bible to the point it says what you want it to say, while disregarding completely what it actually says.
On what do you base your respect for Jesus of Nazareth? That He went around doing GOOD. That he taught peace and love and forgiveness? That He had the ability to walk on water? That He healed the sick, raised the dead, opened blind eyes, made the lame to walk, and turned water into wine? That He said He was The Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament who would come to die for the sins of ALL mankind?
Obviously, none of these since this it is all recorded in the Bible that you say is a book of fantasies.
So, tell us, where do you get the information that makes you respect Jesus and why do you believe those historical accounts and not the accounts in the Bible? Oh, I know, because you do not believe in the Holy Spirit that Jesus talked about in the Bible. And you do not believe in the supernatural since science isn't about the supernatural! What you believe to be reality does not determine reality!
So, nothing to back up your claim, eh? If I'm gruff with you, it's because I have little patience for dishonesty and logical fallacies. But, you must admit that you were wrong when you said I have called Jesus of Nazareth dirty names. Now, I want you to admit that and apologize for trying to impugn my character.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#149403 Aug 30, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that's quite cool - BUT for google street view to be COMPLETELY real time (which is what Jimbo insists is going to happen so the state can spy on us) you would need a webcam (well mutiple webcams to cover all angles) on EVERY street.
Does this seem a likely thing that google would do ?
Is it likely that the state would do this ?
I.e. do you agree with Jimbos assertion that this is what google street view WILL become
Careful now, Jim is one of your biggest cheerleaders
Yes, I can see that happening. The way things are going, yes. Maybe you are not aware of what's really been going on this side of the pond. We've got camera's everywhere recording are pictures, flying drones, we've got the NSA listening to our phone calls, we've got transponders and cell phones that track all our movements, smart meters on our homes, transponders reading all our purchases, credit cards transactions, RFID chips on many products that are tracked, etc. A network of webcams would be easy to implement.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#149404 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You think very little about Jesus is factual yet you respect him? For what? The idea of a man preaching good things? How did you decide that was the factual part? Because that's the part you like? Hogwash! Picking and choosing only aspects of Jesus that happen to fit your politically correct (PC) needs but disbelieving/rejecting the non-PC parts that don't? You're as wishy-washing about this as you are about science. You live in a PC, suck-up, evotard world where the only thing that matters is to feel good and nothing makes sense. That goes for the rest of you retards, too.
Good grief what a brain fart you have on this topic. No, I don't know if ANY of it is factual. That is why I said IF some dude did the good things I listed, I would respect that. You are completely blind to the way someone would see this if they dont happen to think JC is God or the bible is reliable.

Imagine I said that Joe Blow was a guy reputed to have campaigned for the helpless and weak in Johannesburg. You might say "well if thats the case, I would respect that".

Understand now?

Level 6

Location hidden

#149405 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really? And just what parts of the Bible do I NOT believe? You see, there you go again with your evotard BS arguments.
How many hungry mouths could a new Camaro feed?
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#149406 Aug 30, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief what a brain fart you have on this topic. No, I don't know if ANY of it is factual. That is why I said IF some dude did the good things I listed, I would respect that. You are completely blind to the way someone would see this if they dont happen to think JC is God or the bible is reliable.
Imagine I said that Joe Blow was a guy reputed to have campaigned for the helpless and weak in Johannesburg. You might say "well if thats the case, I would respect that".
Understand now?
What a crock.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#149407 Aug 30, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How many hungry mouths could a new Camaro feed?
Quit feeding them and they'll learn to get their own food.

Level 6

Location hidden

#149408 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock.
So poor UC cannot bear to see his big ticket treated merely as a good human. Well too bad UC. Neither you nor anyone else seems to have any actual evidence for claiming more.

Frankly I dont care either. The only problem is that your extreme lack of ability to distinguish between empirical evidence and your own wishful thinking also extends into your kooky views on science.
One way or another

United States

#149409 Aug 30, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Understand now?
You did not you frukin liar.

Being the post.
One way or another

United States

#149410 Aug 30, 2013
In above post, being should be, bring.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#149411 Aug 30, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
We noticed all you morons skipped over the science he writes.
Urban Cowboy | 4 hrs ago
Mutation rates:
In genetics, the mutation rate is a measure of the rate at which various types of mutations occur during some unit of time. Mutation rates are typically given for a specific class of mutation, for instance point mutations, small or large scale insertions or deletions. The rate of substitutions can be further subdivided into a mutation spectrum which describes the influence of genetic context on the mutation rate.
"There are several natural units of time for each of these rates, with rates being characterized either as mutations per base pair per cell division, per gene per generation, or per genome per generation. The mutation rate of an organism is an evolved characteristic and is strongly influenced by the genetics of each organism, in addition to strong influence from the environment. The upper and lower limits to which mutation rates can evolve is the subject of ongoing investigation."
For sake of my discussion, I am interested in a very conservative, general maximum mutation rate derived from observed, measured rates. For example, maximum number of mutations per generations and then apply that to the generation times for particular organisms.
What do you wish for me to say about a cut and paste from Wikipedia? That morons cut and paste and can't think for themselves? That public schools make people stupid? That's YOUR argument - take it up with Urb.
One way or another

United States

#149412 Aug 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you wish for me to say about a cut and paste from Wikipedia? That morons cut and paste and can't think for themselves? That public schools make people stupid? That's YOUR argument - take it up with Urb.
Keep pretending you have a brain. UC has brought new thinking, as well as admitting even for you nasty little morons, if one of you make sense, only you're too stupid to care.

So tell us, what have you brought here worthwhile?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#149413 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Keep pretending you have a brain. UC has brought new thinking, as well as admitting even for you nasty little morons, if one of you make sense, only you're too stupid to care.
So tell us, what have you brought here worthwhile?
LOL!
Why should I waste time belaboring what everybody else but you two already understands? I just have fun pointing out the obvious. UC doesn't comprehend the 5th grade level links provided to him by AnswersInGenesis, and your mental meanderings are so far outside of rational that you need 2 coconut halves and a string just to hear yourself think.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#149414 Aug 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Why should I waste time belaboring what everybody else but you two already understands? I just have fun pointing out the obvious. UC doesn't comprehend the 5th grade level links provided to him by AnswersInGenesis, and your mental meanderings are so far outside of rational that you need 2 coconut halves and a string just to hear yourself think.
You're less than a retard. You're a troll without a brain.
Gm man

Chicago, IL

#149415 Aug 30, 2013
I just read that humans can be brainwashed, munipulated and fooled just by reading info ....say it aint so....
Level 6

Miami, FL

#149416 Aug 30, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So poor UC cannot bear to see his big ticket treated merely as a good human. Well too bad UC. Neither you nor anyone else seems to have any actual evidence for claiming more.
Frankly I dont care either. The only problem is that your extreme lack of ability to distinguish between empirical evidence and your own wishful thinking also extends into your kooky views on science.
Are you talking to me or your fellow evotards? You so chickenshit, you can't even address me directly.
One way or another

United States

#149417 Aug 30, 2013
Gm man wrote:
I just read that humans can be brainwashed, munipulated and fooled just by reading info ....say it aint so....
When most all children are taught nothing more than copy and paste for their entire lives, what do you expect?

Oops, are you any better?

How do you think the morons keep voting in the same idiots year after year and why do the cattle and sheep keep investing in bubble after bubble?

How is it that the American people sit back and watch as our entire congress gave away America's jobs to china, as chinas economy goes through the roof and America is borrowing a trillion a year?

How is it that congress tells the world that they need to be bribed for congress to do anything and the American morons turn a blind eye?

That's just a start on how fruking stupid Americans are. They are sheep, cattle, brainwashed and most never have a thought all their own.
One way or another

United States

#149418 Aug 30, 2013
Gm man wrote:
By the way, tell us how you brainwash American morons, cattle and sheep?

Not one of the morons here can solve this little thought experiment. Can you?

Even with a huge hint the Evo children have nothing, to show that they can think for themselves.

Well, all they know is cut and paste, as the schools teach.

O J thought experiment

You Evo morons are the proof that all schools fail.

Here's the 5th grade thought experiment for you Evo morons.

In the OJ Simpson trial, the prosecutor asked that OJ put on the glove found at the scene. That was a huge mistake. What should the prosecutor have done, after such a stupid mistake?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#149419 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
When most all children are taught nothing more than copy and paste for their entire lives, what do you expect?
Oops, are you any better?
How do you think the morons keep voting in the same idiots year after year and why do the cattle and sheep keep investing in bubble after bubble?
How is it that the American people sit back and watch as our entire congress gave away America's jobs to china, as chinas economy goes through the roof and America is borrowing a trillion a year?
How is it that congress tells the world that they need to be bribed for congress to do anything and the American morons turn a blind eye?
That's just a start on how fruking stupid Americans are. They are sheep, cattle, brainwashed and most never have a thought all their own.
Well maybe we will again try to police the world and put a missile attack on Syria with-out UN approval. Britain won't have our back, no one will have our back. This will be a solo flight. Russia, China and Iran say don't do it or suffer consequences. Maybe we need to be put in our place and stop trying to police the world. Just my opinion for I am tired of fighting wars we should not be in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 min MADRONE 165,003
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr Frindly 3,555
No Evidence for Creation, a Global Flood, Tower... 2 hr Zog Has-fallen 84
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 hr DanFromSmithville 223,194
Evolution is Fantasy 7 hr Water Meter Parker 1
Time 12 hr THANKS 9
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 hr Frindly 84,105
More from around the web