Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Consett, UK

#149340 Aug 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not how science works. It's not about making shit up and then it's true until someone disproves it. If what you say is true, you can demonstrate that it's true via experiment. Now, what experiments have you performed, and please explicitly describe how you did it and the results you got. Be specific.
Until you do that, it ain't science. It's just you ranting like a half-retarded nutcase.
That's the problem with Jimbo, he constantly insists that no-one can refute his work, but everyone does - he just ignores it and then spams it again.

The lunacy I can tolerate, it's the dishonesty and cowardness that grates a bit.

(Notice how he ignores any posts that directly contridict his 'science'- as I say complete coward)
One way or another

United States

#149341 Aug 29, 2013
I don't think there is one person out there that would like to think that their thinking is below par. So if someone comes along that shows them that thinking can go a lot higher, most all would hate to have that pushed, even if it is aimed at a childish group, that uses their numbers and the prejudices they learned in school, at everyone not just like them.

Of course its much easier to deal with childish stupidity, than anyone that shows how badly the schools teach.

UC is the only one here that has swallowed his pride and given me some credit. Not one other of the Christians and certainly none of the evos here.

Not one of the Christians here can refute what I write, at least not much and yet, they never say thanks Jim, that was new and interresting.

So you evos have a lot of company from the two faced Christians.
That's why the so called Christians will never sway any of you.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#149342 Aug 29, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from someone that has never offered anything of value, like yourself or any of the other Evo morons, what you have to say about others has no value.
If I'm wrong, then simply show what you have written, that is of value.
Go back and look. Oh, but wait - you're a reality-denying fundie who doesn't care about intellectual integrity therefore anything from those with an actual grasp on reality isn't of value to you.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#149343 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
In your own words, refute the following or show evidence that my thinking is wrong.
Immunology
by Jim Ryan
In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.
I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.
I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.
It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
Dammit.

Fred? FRED! Fetch me a kitten damn you!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#149344 Aug 29, 2013
Concerned Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you forgotten claiming to be a monk a few weeks back?

Dark lord is crazier than Jim. More intelligent, but crazier.

I don't even look at his stuff anymore. Of course I rarely look at Jim's either. He cannot understand explanations of what he got wrong so there is little point.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#149345 Aug 29, 2013
UC is the only one here that has swallowed his pride and given me some credit.
I know.

Amusing, isn't it?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149346 Aug 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you did. And then you lied about. Can't get a straight answer out of an evotard. That's because evolution is based on lies and makes fools out of all of you.

You are confabulating.

You also did not do as I recommended, specifically:
Type into your search engine "mechanisms of evolution" and hit [enter].

So the facts stand:

Mutation IS ONE of the mechanisms of evolution.
But it is NOT the only mechanism of evolution.

Selection is, albeit arguably, more important than mutation.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be a moron. NO ONE denied that mutations are not important in evolution. They simply are one mechanism among many.
The rest of your post is just silly. The mechanism of evolution are well known and I have listed them at least 20 times, myself.
Type into your search engine "mechanisms of evolution" and hit [enter].
SEE!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149347 Aug 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You were referring to this "big number" (which comes right out of a popular Biology text):
The processes of Random Fertilization and Independent Assortment of Chromosomes during Metaphase I, provide far in excess of 70 trillion (2^23 X 2^23) combinations multiplied by the variation brought about by the crossing over during recombination in Prophase I, "that the possibilities are truly astronomical."
So you say it "merely explains why every human (and every other sexually reproducing animal as well) is unique".
Think about what you just said. I just described the genetic processes for variation which did NOT include ANY mutations. So what you are referring to is DESIGNED VARIATION. How is it that we get all this genetic variation from the mechanisms of meiosis and fertilization? Very key point! Because it is designed into every sexually reproducing creature. But your evolution (The Primary Axiom says that ALL genetic variation MUST come from random mutations) and does not allow intelligent design, does it? So your statement above directly contradicts that.

Why do I waste time reading the posts of someone who does not understand the basic mechanisms of evolution and lies about stuff?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#149348 Aug 29, 2013
I don't think there is one person out there that would like to think that their thinking is below par. So if someone comes along that shows them that thinking can go a lot higher, most all would hate to have that pushed, even if it is aimed at a childish group, that uses their numbers and the prejudices they learned in school, at everyone not just like them.
Of course its much easier to deal with childish stupidity, than anyone that shows how badly the schools teach.
UC is the only one here that has swallowed his pride and given me some credit. Not one other of the Christians and certainly none of the evos here.
Not one of the Christians here can refute what I write, at least not much and yet, they never say thanks Jim, that was new and interresting.
So you evos have a lot of company from the two faced Christians.
That's why the so called Christians will never sway any of you.
So, if you divorced your wife, would you two still be siblings?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149349 Aug 29, 2013

So you are saying that because we are more intelligent than you, you feel inferior, which reminds you of how you felt in your childhood.

How is that different than what I have been saying all along?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149350 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
You're lying. UC reads more and contributes more than all you Evo morons put together.

LOL.

You crack me up.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149351 Aug 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Just an FYI. Some have wandered why I flip from side to side. That is easy. Sometimes I lose faith and think why. My oldest brother was killed by a drunk driver, I have two main views of him burnt in my mind,,, the night we ID'd him in the hospital/mortuary and the day at his funeral. My Mother died from a freak surg side affect, the two views I have of her burnt in my mind are the pain she was in after surg and her funeral. My other brother the two views I have of him burnt into my mind are of when we found him after he had been shot and his funeral. So HELL yes I lose faith sometimes but then again with my two daughters and grandson I still try to find reasons to have faith. I don't want your effin pity or BS so don't give it. I flip flop sometimes because I have reasons to do so. Like it or not that is me at this point. Deal with it or over look it. That is your choice!!!!

Anyone who does not recognize that life comes with suffering is not paying attention.

Thanks for being human. Honesty is the best option any of us have.
One way or another

United States

#149352 Aug 29, 2013
O J thought experiment

Poor little children, too stupid to answer a simple thought experiment, not to mention that they are too stupid to understand how most all children can be taught to be genius.

You morons are the proof that all schools fail.

Here's the 5th grade thought experiment for you morons.

Oh I'm sorry, none of you were ever taught to think for yourselves. Lmao---you morons, you have no business on a website for science.

In the OJ Simpson trial, the prosecutor asked that OJ put on the glove found at the scene. That was a huge mistake. What should the prosecutor have done, after such a stupid mistake?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#149353 Aug 29, 2013
I don't think there is one person out there that would like to think that their thinking is below par.
Just demonstrate that the things you say are true. That's all we ask of you.
One way or another

United States

#149354 Aug 29, 2013
The above goes for all you good Christians.
You are just like the Evo morons.

You were never taught to think for yourselves, you just do what the schools and church taught you, copy and paste.
One way or another

United States

#149355 Aug 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just demonstrate that the things you say are true. That's all we ask of you.
You Frikken moron, science has already demonstrated them for me.

Science enlarges the pictures of the far away galaxies, to the point that it creates the haloes called gravitational lensing and how do we know that? Because if the pics are not enlarged, there is no gravitational lensing.

I doubt you children will ever be anything more than the copy and paste automatons you were taught to be, but just in case, I'm here.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149356 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
You Frikken moron, science has already demonstrated them for me.
Science enlarges the pictures of the far away galaxies, to the point that it creates the haloes called gravitational lensing and how do we know that? Because if the pics are not enlarged, there is no gravitational lensing.
I doubt you children will ever be anything more than the copy and paste automatons you were taught to be, but just in case, I'm here.

BWHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!!!

I refuse to believe that anyone is this stupid.
Concerned Believer

Manchester, TN

#149357 Aug 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who brought up respect, not I. Or, do you forget accusing me of disrespecting Christ? If you don't know what the word means, don't use it. If you don't know what you meant by it, it's not up to me to tell you.
I ask you to define spirit because seemingly everybody who believes in such a thing defines it differently. As the definition is not obvious to all, it is only right that you explain what you mean by the term. If it's too much for you to handle, the kindergarten theology classes are down the hall.
Down the hall from where? You are putting your little foot in your big mouth more all the time.

So, you are saying you respect Jesus of Nazareth? He is the God I worship. The One you call dirty names and blaspheme constantly.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#149358 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Down the hall from where? You are putting your little foot in your big mouth more all the time.
So, you are saying you respect Jesus of Nazareth? He is the God I worship. The One you call dirty names and blaspheme constantly.
When did I ever call Jesus if Nazareth dirty names? Please link to where I ever did that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#149359 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>

He asked you to define spirit.

If he respects Jesus then it seems like he is trying to meet you half way. I think it is quite possible to respect Jesus for his teachings even if one does not believe him to be God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min showmethemoney 171,707
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 15 min kenedy 142,555
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 31 min Paul Porter1 266
Science Suggests That A Quantum Creation Force ... (Jun '14) 47 min Paul Porter1 33
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 20,565
News Intelligent design 1 hr GTID62 2
Beware of Kamikaze Snakes. They Are Evolving in... 7 hr Zog Has-fallen 15
More from around the web