Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 175,462

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#149304 Aug 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone that claims to be educated and knowledgeable on anything does not resort to childish name calling and ridiculing. But hey I guess in science idiot and moron and such are on the top of their vocabulary.
When people want to be taken seriously or respected for their knowledge name calling is the last way they will get either.
And to use name calling in an example "Any fool would know that!"
When someone has demonstrated that he is uninterested in learning and honesty yet declares everything he says as true because he says so, and has been shown the error in what he says repeatedly yet continues to repeat his original wrong assertions, what more is left? Mockery is a valid tool for demonstrating someone's obstinacy against learning. As soon as he decides he wants to learn and be honest with us and himself, the mockery will end full stop. He had been given more than enough respect and time and effort, and he's shat upon it over and over. He's earned every note of derision he receives.

“The Grim Reaper Is Fictional ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

But We Will All Meet Him

#149305 Aug 29, 2013
Just an FYI. Some have wandered why I flip from side to side. That is easy. Sometimes I lose faith and think why. My oldest brother was killed by a drunk driver, I have two main views of him burnt in my mind,,, the night we ID'd him in the hospital/mortuary and the day at his funeral. My Mother died from a freak surg side affect, the two views I have of her burnt in my mind are the pain she was in after surg and her funeral. My other brother the two views I have of him burnt into my mind are of when we found him after he had been shot and his funeral. So HELL yes I lose faith sometimes but then again with my two daughters and grandson I still try to find reasons to have faith. I don't want your effin pity or BS so don't give it. I flip flop sometimes because I have reasons to do so. Like it or not that is me at this point. Deal with it or over look it. That is your choice!!!!

“The Grim Reaper Is Fictional ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

But We Will All Meet Him

#149306 Aug 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
When someone has demonstrated that he is uninterested in learning and honesty yet declares everything he says as true because he says so, and has been shown the error in what he says repeatedly yet continues to repeat his original wrong assertions, what more is left? Mockery is a valid tool for demonstrating someone's obstinacy against learning. As soon as he decides he wants to learn and be honest with us and himself, the mockery will end full stop. He had been given more than enough respect and time and effort, and he's shat upon it over and over. He's earned every note of derision he receives.
"When someone has demonstrated that he is uninterested in learning and honesty yet declares everything he says as true because he says so"

Sorry man but you are not talking about me in your comment

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#149307 Aug 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
But you only see him as a moron because he believes in God more than evolution which is what you believe in.
I f I believe that going 340mph through a 1/4 mile is more thrilling and fun than watching a bunch of idiots drive around a circle track 200 times at 200 am I an idiot? No I am not. It is what I like and find more appealing to me.
We are all different and we believe and find what we want appealing to us. Like the old saying goes there are some that believe fire is hot but then again there are some that have to stick their hand in the fire to find out. Now does that make the one that stuck his hand in the fire an idiot or does it now make the one that stuck his hand in the fire more knowledgeable because he has a better understanding of how hot the fire is?
You're talking about opinion and comparing it to science. Science isn't opinion. Science is science. It eliminates bias and errors by its very nature. Urban Cowboy bastardizes the concept and thinks that bias is the very core of science, and then uses that bias as the foundation for his rationalizations of his religious beliefs. It's all post-hoc nonsense meant to quell the unease he feels because his Bible stories aren't reflected by demonstrable reality. He wouldn't be mocked if he said this, but what he says is that it's science, which it isn't. There is no opinion about what science is and isn't, any more than there's opinion about what is hydrogen and what isn't. Science is science. What he does and talks about isn't science. It's pseudoscience meant to trick the under-educated into thinking their superstitions are just as legitimate as anything else. That kind of wrong-headed bullshit needs to be called out and treated like what it is. To do any less is to encourage its continuance. Doing less is exactly why places like Texas and Kansas and Tennessee continually try to destroy science via school curricula. If you don't care about the state of education in America and our schools slipping even further behind the rest of the world than they already have, that's fine, but don't let your apathy get in the way of others who want to prevent that backslide.
One way or another

United States

#149308 Aug 29, 2013
Its just too bad so many scientists are idiots.

Lenski's antibiotic claim.

Science by Jim Ryan

So called scientists prove to be very ignorant, even celebrated idiots. Over 20 years on the same test and lenski couldn't even figure out he should have reversed his experiment.

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by the obvious evidence

Lenski should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistant bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. He should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.
One way or another

United States

#149309 Aug 29, 2013
More stupidity from scientists.

Science creates gravitational lensing, not the stars!!!

By Jim Ryan

Show us the logic of gravitational lensing, when science distorts the Hubble lense to enlarge subjects at great distances, which makes the subjects brighter, larger and distorted, while adding coronas, creating the so called, gravitational lensing effect, because no gravitational lensing shows up, unless the subjects are greatly enlarged and distorted,by the Hubble telescope or, if one star aligns behind another.

The scientists are not allowed to control. The evolutionist leadership controls. When are the people, the individual scientists going to wake up and take back what is theirs?

The above is just logic and no one can offer anything to refute it.

Do all you individual scientists enjoy being treated like morons, by your fully corrupt leadership?
One way or another

United States

#149310 Aug 29, 2013
More stupidity by science

Seeing back in time

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

Science proves that two of the same types of light waves cancel each other out. Any stars light waves, can cancel out any other stars light waves or at the least, divert them to where science claims not to know.

The far away light waves never reach us, which means, we see out to those galaxies.

Science claims we are seeing back into time, some 14 billion years ago. Science claims that we can see that far back in time, because the light from those distant worlds and galaxies have been traveling here for those billions of years and that by such, we are looking back in time. That simply cannot be, according to science.

Simple light cannot carry images of those far off worlds and galaxies to our telescopes, meaning, our telescopes see out to those galaxies, disproving relativity, gravitational lensing and light theory.

That's why I said, light cannot carry images of those worlds and galaxies, meaning, if their light speed and theory were true, we could see the light, but not the worlds or galaxies, because images cannot be carried on light, but science proves how much light breaks down in its retro reflector test from the earth to the moon and back. Science itself declares that the further away light gets from its source, the more it breaks down.
One way or another

United States

#149311 Aug 29, 2013
When schools teach nothing more than cut and paste, why would anyone expect scientists to be anything more than cut and paste workers?

It would be stupid to expect more.
One way or another

United States

#149312 Aug 29, 2013
More scientific stupidity corrected.

Seeing galaxies right now

Science by Jim Ryan

Ya know how when you look into a telescope, you see everything that the telescope is focused in on, right away, there's no wait at all. However, science claims that it takes billions of light years for the light from those distant galaxies to get here. If the light takes so long to get here, how come when we look into the telescope, we see those galaxies as soon as we look in the eye piece?

Lets just say that science is right about the light, even though science proves that is a lie, by other means.

Even if the light does get here from those galaxies, those galaxies can't send pictures on just light waves.

“GOD OF ALL”

Since: Aug 12

London, UK

#149313 Aug 29, 2013
Concerned Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you forgotten claiming to be a monk a few weeks back?
no i bloody well haven't, and yes it still stinks down here.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#149314 Aug 29, 2013
mathematics is the science of evidence -
each and every mathematician take a bow,
you are the very life blood of science today
and you are its only hope in the future.
i love you all
as i love myself,
i love you both with the same me -
god bless this sacred kind of
being in all his duties.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#149315 Aug 29, 2013
investigate that science probe
situate that microphone.
love you love science.
my general theory of causality
goes to the printing presses tomorrow,
at long last you can see me in print -
under the lord henshawe of oxfordshire licence.
oh its great to be alive.

what with all the death threats
my security is they tell me
of paramount importance.
pick up a copy of my work from the bookshop
available on Monday (UK only)
available to US now for Tuesday del.(Import)
love me all over period.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#149316 Aug 29, 2013
the art of ratio genesis
the cause of something
the reason for something
and then the behaviour of something -
simply as poetry.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#149317 Aug 29, 2013
One way or another wrote:
When schools teach nothing more than cut and paste, why would anyone expect scientists to be anything more than cut and paste workers?
It would be stupid to expect more.
Pretty funny coming from the bozo that does little more than cut and paste and paste and paste and paste and paste and paste and paste and paste.
One way or another

United States

#149318 Aug 29, 2013
Immunology
by Jim Ryan

In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.

I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.

I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.

It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
One way or another

Sarasota, FL

#149319 Aug 29, 2013
Even with a huge hint the Evo children have nothing, to show that they can think for themselves.

Well, all they know is cut and paste, as the schools teach.

O J thought experiment

Poor little Evo children, too stupid to answer a simple thought experiment, not to mention that they are too stupid to understand how most all children can be taught to be genius.

You Evo morons are the proof that all schools fail.

Here's the 5th grade thought experiment for you Evo morons.

Oh I'm sorry, none of you were ever taught to think for yourselves. Lmao---you morons, you have no business on a website for science.

In the OJ Simpson trial, the prosecutor asked that OJ put on the glove found at the scene. That was a huge mistake. What should the prosecutor have done, after such a stupid mistake?
One way or another

United States

#149320 Aug 29, 2013
The teachers pet

The hateful stupidity by the science of psychology!

By Jim Ryan

Schools could teach the basics of psychology starting in first grade, so the children understand human nature and how to deal with things in a much better manner, but the lesson of the teachers pet, proves that schools choose to teach ignorance, hate and fighting.

We see how no one accepts the challenge of the teachers pet and the utter stupidity it taught for over 200 years in school.

By doing such for 200 years, we can easily see the stupidity of the copy and paste school system, how it teaches your kids to hate and it teaches them to be stupid.

So the so called psychology professionals run away from the truth and discussion. Hahahahahahahaha, you morons, you wouldn't know psychology if it bit you.

Psychology of ignorance taught in school!

What are the things that teachers do, that teach ignorance and hatred?

College? Lol your teachers prove the stupidity you taught them. Higher education, what a joke.

Any psychologists here?
What a school system, aye!
One way or another

United States

#149321 Aug 29, 2013
Science teaches how children can become smarter, but obviously, science doesn't tell to what degree.

So if science doesn't know or won't tell, then most children and adults just wont care.

If you could make your children into genius, would you?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#149322 Aug 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
"When someone has demonstrated that he is uninterested in learning and honesty yet declares everything he says as true because he says so"
Sorry man but you are not talking about me in your comment
Were we not talking about Urban Cowboy?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#149323 Aug 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Just an FYI. Some have wandered why I flip from side to side. That is easy. Sometimes I lose faith and think why. My oldest brother was killed by a drunk driver, I have two main views of him burnt in my mind,,, the night we ID'd him in the hospital/mortuary and the day at his funeral. My Mother died from a freak surg side affect, the two views I have of her burnt in my mind are the pain she was in after surg and her funeral. My other brother the two views I have of him burnt into my mind are of when we found him after he had been shot and his funeral. So HELL yes I lose faith sometimes but then again with my two daughters and grandson I still try to find reasons to have faith. I don't want your effin pity or BS so don't give it. I flip flop sometimes because I have reasons to do so. Like it or not that is me at this point. Deal with it or over look it. That is your choice!!!!
OK no pity.

Ugly is ugly. If you don't like it, fix it if you can and no crap about God's Mysterious Ways please.

No amount of shit has ever prompted me to wonder whether God is involved.

As in all things, God is an unnecessary hypothesis and a phony crutch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 32 min Dogen 127,569
More Theories to Disprove Creation 1 hr shasha_m 62
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 2 hr ChristineM 1,901
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 3 hr The Dude 71
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Chimney1 139,377
Atheism - A Non Prophet Organisation (Mar '11) Tue The Dude 996
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Mon tbrim21 13,575

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE