Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179697 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#149359 Aug 29, 2013
Concerned Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Down the hall from where? You are putting your little foot in your big mouth more all the time.
So, you are saying you respect Jesus of Nazareth? He is the God I worship. The One you call dirty names and blaspheme constantly.

He asked you to define spirit.

If he respects Jesus then it seems like he is trying to meet you half way. I think it is quite possible to respect Jesus for his teachings even if one does not believe him to be God.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#149360 Aug 29, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, you Evo morons use God and religion as a crutch, every time you have no answers.
Never in my life, loser.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#149361 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Down the hall from where? You are putting your little foot in your big mouth more all the time.
So, you are saying you respect Jesus of Nazareth? He is the God I worship. The One you call dirty names and blaspheme constantly.
One can still respect the man without falling for the crap that he was God.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#149362 Aug 30, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
One can still respect the man without falling for the crap that he was God.
You don't make any sense. What is the basis for your respect? Is it something besides what he said as recorded in the Bible or what others wrote about Him in the Bible? If it's based on the Bible you would have to believe He was a liar because he claimed to be God (which HE certainly is!) and others believed Him to be God. So how could you respect Him if you can't believe Him or the stories about Him? You don't make any more sense here than you do about science.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#149363 Aug 30, 2013
Mutation rates:
In genetics, the mutation rate is a measure of the rate at which various types of mutations occur during some unit of time. Mutation rates are typically given for a specific class of mutation, for instance point mutations, small or large scale insertions or deletions. The rate of substitutions can be further subdivided into a mutation spectrum which describes the influence of genetic context on the mutation rate.
"There are several natural units of time for each of these rates, with rates being characterized either as mutations per base pair per cell division, per gene per generation, or per genome per generation. The mutation rate of an organism is an evolved characteristic and is strongly influenced by the genetics of each organism, in addition to strong influence from the environment. The upper and lower limits to which mutation rates can evolve is the subject of ongoing investigation."
For sake of my discussion, I am interested in a very conservative, general maximum mutation rate derived from observed, measured rates. For example, maximum number of mutations per generations and then apply that to the generation times for particular organisms.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#149364 Aug 30, 2013

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#149365 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't make any sense. What is the basis for your respect? Is it something besides what he said as recorded in the Bible or what others wrote about Him in the Bible? If it's based on the Bible you would have to believe He was a liar because he claimed to be God (which HE certainly is!) and others believed Him to be God. So how could you respect Him if you can't believe Him or the stories about Him? You don't make any more sense here than you do about science.
Logic was never your strong point, was it Urb. If you read a book that claimed Elvis said he was God would that make Elvis a liar?

Think hard about it Urb, we know you can do it.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#149366 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Jesus write the parts of the Bible that have what are said to be his words? At best, it's hearsay. Most likely, it's legend. Hagiographies and exaggeration were standard parts of the histories of popular figures back then. Are you really saying that we should expect zero occurrences of the most common cultural behaviors regarding the history of this person?

If George Washington never chopped down the cherry tree, does that mean Washington was a big fat phony?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#149367 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dangit, Urb. If it isn't spoken from a pulpit you can't comprehend it. We get it already.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#149368 Aug 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic was never your strong point, was it Urb. If you read a book that claimed Elvis said he was God would that make Elvis a liar?
Think hard about it Urb, we know you can do it.
"we" who?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#149369 Aug 30, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
BWHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!!!
I refuse to believe that anyone is this stupid.
Amazing, isn't it?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#149370 Aug 30, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Can any of you show us that you have the ability to judge others, by what they say and or do?
To judge implies the necessity of making a decision. This is not necessary in your case.
Concerned Believer

Manchester, TN

#149371 Aug 30, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
When did I ever call Jesus if Nazareth dirty names? Please link to where I ever did that.
You have make you disrespect for Christ obvious every time you open your "gaping maw" about the Bible (which is the basis of what Christians believe to be true about Jesus, and about Christians who believe Him to be who the Bible records He said Himself that He was.

You think you can disrespect Christianity without disrespecting Christ. You think this because in you way of thinking you can dissect the Bible to the point it says what you want it to say, while disregarding completely what it actually says.

On what do you base your respect for Jesus of Nazareth? That He went around doing GOOD. That he taught peace and love and forgiveness? That He had the ability to walk on water? That He healed the sick, raised the dead, opened blind eyes, made the lame to walk, and turned water into wine? That He said He was The Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament who would come to die for the sins of ALL mankind?
Obviously, none of these since this it is all recorded in the Bible that you say is a book of fantasies.

So, tell us, where do you get the information that makes you respect Jesus and why do you believe those historical accounts and not the accounts in the Bible? Oh, I know, because you do not believe in the Holy Spirit that Jesus talked about in the Bible. And you do not believe in the supernatural since science isn't about the supernatural! What you believe to be reality does not determine reality!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#149372 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
You have make you disrespect for Christ obvious every time you open your "gaping maw" about the Bible (which is the basis of what Christians believe to be true about Jesus, and about Christians who believe Him to be who the Bible records He said Himself that He was.
You think you can disrespect Christianity without disrespecting Christ. You think this because in you way of thinking you can dissect the Bible to the point it says what you want it to say, while disregarding completely what it actually says.
On what do you base your respect for Jesus of Nazareth? That He went around doing GOOD. That he taught peace and love and forgiveness? That He had the ability to walk on water? That He healed the sick, raised the dead, opened blind eyes, made the lame to walk, and turned water into wine? That He said He was The Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament who would come to die for the sins of ALL mankind?
Obviously, none of these since this it is all recorded in the Bible that you say is a book of fantasies.
So, tell us, where do you get the information that makes you respect Jesus and why do you believe those historical accounts and not the accounts in the Bible? Oh, I know, because you do not believe in the Holy Spirit that Jesus talked about in the Bible. And you do not believe in the supernatural since science isn't about the supernatural! What you believe to be reality does not determine reality!
What you believe to be reality does not determine reality.
Concerned Believer

Manchester, TN

#149373 Aug 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
What you believe to be reality does not determine reality.
I agree. We all have the option to determine what we will make real in our lives when it comes to evolution and creation.
Neither of us can prove the origin of life. Some choose faith in creation. Some choose evidence in science.
I resent being called a liar for my choice, when there is every bit as much proof for my choice in my life as there is for the evolutionist in his.
Concerned Believer

Manchester, TN

#149374 Aug 30, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
He asked you to define spirit.
If he respects Jesus then it seems like he is trying to meet you half way. I think it is quite possible to respect Jesus for his teachings even if one does not believe him to be God.
I've given him my definition of the Holy Spirit. I guess that did not satisfy him.

LG, try Romans Chapter 1, verses 1-4. And Romans chapter 5, verses 1-5
If that makes no sense to you, and I suspect it won't, it is because you do not want it to make sense. If it did it would change your way of thinking, and you are proud of the fact that you think only in terms of what can be studied and discovered by men. Believing in something you can't see is childish in your way of thinking.
Do you know what Jesus said about childlike faith?
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#149375 Aug 30, 2013
Chrom, Guy, Sub,....you are the ones who make no sense. You can never answer the questions. All you ever can do is set up false strawman arguments and mock me. You're all very pathetic.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#149376 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
I agree. We all have the option to determine what we will make real in our lives when it comes to evolution and creation.
Neither of us can prove the origin of life. Some choose faith in creation. Some choose evidence in science.
I resent being called a liar for my choice, when there is every bit as much proof for my choice in my life as there is for the evolutionist in his.
You can choose to believe whatever you wish - it's a free country. You do not morally have the choice of professing a faith and then turning your back on its fundamental dictate to be honest.
Even allowing for the subtle couching of your words, there simply and truthfully is >not< "as much proof for my choice in my life as there is for the evolutionist in his."
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#149377 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
They can't answer that because they are demon-possessed zombies who don't know what they believe and so can only parrot what they've been told is the "politially correct" thing to say.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#149378 Aug 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Chrom, Guy, Sub,....you are the ones who make no sense. You can never answer the questions. All you ever can do is set up false strawman arguments and mock me. You're all very pathetic.
Presumption of "Truth" based on religious text is the ultimate straw man. Evidence is correct or incorrect based on its own merit, not because it aligns with or contradicts a tenet. The devout can handily agree that Zeus does not throw lightening and that Thor's hammer does not cause thunder, yet cannot comprehend that there was no global flood or even that the story of Jesus was embellished. Even the suggestion is abominable. That is why you are mocked.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Blitzking 209,895
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 20,285
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Genesis Enigma 152,231
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr ChristineM 45,559
America evolving into lockdown on purpose Sep 25 Dogen 68
New law to further hatred towards police Sep 24 One way or another 4
Hillary, a taco stand on every corner Sep 24 One way or another 4
More from around the web