Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148600 Aug 22, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You used the card analogy. So, actually he did tell you.
Except for one small detail. He said it was false. The literature would suggest otherwise.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148601 Aug 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Will more research yield you a dingle berry brain, if you are riding on a jack wagon? Because we consider you goofy enough already.
You're Lord Goofy.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148602 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Then tell me just what else is more central/pivotal to evolution than the very thing that makes it all possible?

Um.... the fact that it happens?

You have built this up to be much bigger than I imagine it being.

While it is nice to know how gravity works, it works regardless of if we understand it or not. It would be hard for me to take serious someone suggesting that since we don't ultimately understand gravitation that it is not true or possible.

My reasoning is no different in the, largely philosophical, issue of if evolution is possible or not.

Michaelson and Morley proved that there was no medium in which light waves could propagate in space. Yet they continued to do so, undaunted.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148603 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for one small detail. He said it was false. The literature would suggest otherwise.

It is false unless you can show where the literature says shuffled "like cards".
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148604 Aug 22, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is false unless you can show where the literature says shuffled "like cards".
Oh now you raise the bar to cards specifically. How convenient. I thought shuffling would have been sufficient.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148605 Aug 22, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Um.... the fact that it happens?
You have built this up to be much bigger than I imagine it being.
While it is nice to know how gravity works, it works regardless of if we understand it or not. It would be hard for me to take serious someone suggesting that since we don't ultimately understand gravitation that it is not true or possible.
My reasoning is no different in the, largely philosophical, issue of if evolution is possible or not.
Michaelson and Morley proved that there was no medium in which light waves could propagate in space. Yet they continued to do so, undaunted.
So you and the evotards much prefer to remain ignorant and just have faith that "evolution did-it"?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148606 Aug 22, 2013
Beethoven's best symphony is No. 3, Eroica. Discuss.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148607 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh now you raise the bar to cards specifically. How convenient. I thought shuffling would have been sufficient.

That was always the issue.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148608 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you and the evotards much prefer to remain ignorant and just have faith that "evolution did-it"?

That would be the observation that evolution occurs.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148609 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, dingleberrybrain. Therefore, more research needs to be done. Jackwagon.
Oh, so NOW you are against the God of the gaps argument from ignorance?

Anybody find Noah's ark for a 10th time? How about all those useful technologies, medical treatments, and innovations that have come about as a direct result of creation science research? Yeah, pull the other one.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148610 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Beethoven's best symphony is No. 3, Eroica. Discuss.

9th

Ode to Joy

I rest my case.

then 3rd, and 7th, in that order.

Best Beethoven piece overall is Moonlight Sonata (piano). I could listen to that over and over.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148611 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Then tell me just what else is more central/pivotal to evolution than the very thing that makes it all possible?
Surviving long enough to reproduce is what makes it all possible. Of course, that might be contingent upon the results of sexual reproduction; or, it might not. It depends on the environmental conditions from one generation to the next. Why not argue the survival end? Just argue that God is deciding who survives, fucks, and makes babies that do the same, and leave the genetic stuff aside? After all, there's no way to disprove that end of it. If the genetic end were demonstrated to be entirely random without any indication of external influence, your argument is ruined. As it's impossible to disprove that God is driving a particular fox to eat a particular mouse with a particular genetic make-up, you'd have far safer ground from which to preach. Just a thought.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#148612 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Beethoven's best symphony is No. 3, Eroica. Discuss.
Puppy dogs are cute.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148613 Aug 22, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't follow your logic.
No logic needed. We don't understand something completely. When we don't understand something completely, that means God did it. And, because we now know that God did it, everything we discover about it demonstrates that God did it. Follow?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148614 Aug 22, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Surviving long enough to reproduce is what makes it all possible. Of course, that might be contingent upon the results of sexual reproduction; or, it might not. It depends on the environmental conditions from one generation to the next. Why not argue the survival end? Just argue that God is deciding who survives, fucks, and makes babies that do the same, and leave the genetic stuff aside? After all, there's no way to disprove that end of it. If the genetic end were demonstrated to be entirely random without any indication of external influence, your argument is ruined. As it's impossible to disprove that God is driving a particular fox to eat a particular mouse with a particular genetic make-up, you'd have far safer ground from which to preach. Just a thought.
Because we already know God doesn't work that way. He gave us free will. So bottom line you can talk all you want about survival and selection but prophase I recombination is where the road meets the rubber bitch.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148615 Aug 22, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
No logic needed. We don't understand something completely. When we don't understand something completely, that means God did it. And, because we now know that God did it, everything we discover about it demonstrates that God did it. Follow?

No.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148616 Aug 22, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Puppy dogs are cute.
Got-Dang-it boy you're as dumb as a dodo.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148617 Aug 22, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
No logic needed. We don't understand something completely. When we don't understand something completely, that means God did it. And, because we now know that God did it, everything we discover about it demonstrates that God did it. Follow?
No, that's just plain dumb.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148618 Aug 22, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we already know God doesn't work that way. He gave us free will. So bottom line you can talk all you want about survival and selection but prophase I recombination is where the road meets the rubber bitch.

This is sounding more and more like a confabulation.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148619 Aug 22, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
9th
Ode to Joy
I rest my case.
then 3rd, and 7th, in that order.
Best Beethoven piece overall is Moonlight Sonata (piano). I could listen to that over and over.
All right sir. I could take 9th before 3rd and live with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Subduction Zone 79,889
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr River Tam 163,759
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 18 hr WHAT 222,738
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Eagle 12 - 32,581
What's your religion? Wed Zog Has-fallen 2
Life started in Tennessee proof. Sep 15 Science4life 1
Science News (Sep '13) Sep 8 Ricky F 4,001
More from around the web