Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179707 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#148385 Aug 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as "creation science" - it is an oxymoron on several levels. There is >no< evidence to support a recent creation or a global flood, just as there is >no< honorable reason or justification for an emotional investment in a theology to presume either a permit or mandate to incorrigibly violate the prime tenets of that theology.
Again and still, mind your 9th commandment.
You must be dreaming all the time. Isn't it time to wake up and smell the coffee? Type "Creation Science" in Google and look at the results. Ask somebody to pinch you. LOL!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#148386 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be dreaming all the time. Isn't it time to wake up and smell the coffee? Type "Creation Science" in Google and look at the results. Ask somebody to pinch you. LOL!
I can type in "Unicorn" in the Google search bar too and I get all kinds of responses. I guess that according to Urb that makes unicorns real too.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#148387 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't answer to you numbnuts.
In other words, Urb knows that all he can post is crap.

He figures that a ton of crap must have at least one nugget of gold in it. Too bad for him that he is wrong.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#148388 Aug 20, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
They did? Back then? How do you know this?
See LowellGuy's answer at the top of this page.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148389 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the years I'd spent learning History, Physics, Latin, Math, I'd learnt (the hard way) something about standards of argument, standards of proof, standards of logic, etc. In fact we had just been learning how to spot the different types of logical fallacy, and it suddenly became apparent to me that these standards simply didn't seem to apply in religious matters [...] Why not? Because they wouldn't stand up to it." -Douglas Adams ( http://www.douglasadams.eu/en_adams_athee.php )

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#148390 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, your claim is that you have LOTS of evidence and that we refuse to look at it.

I ask you to present ONE piece of evidence and...

You can't.

That, Cowboy, is called me raping your ass with a red hot poker.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148391 Aug 20, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
They did? Back then? How do you know this?

They had a word for ball/sphere.

Dur (Or duwr). Of course topix cannot render Hebrew script.

Chuwg meant circle or disk (like a coin).

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#148392 Aug 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I can type in "Unicorn" in the Google search bar too and I get all kinds of responses. I guess that according to Urb that makes unicorns real too.
The Bible says Unicorns are real.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#148393 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I just won the spiral galaxies. Do you want to move to No. 2? I wouldn't recommend it.
You did? As I recall, your position was based on the fallacy that the arms were permanently populated by stars, whereas successful simulations showed stable spiral structures using density waves instead. In other words, stars moved through the spirals.

These simulations even replicated the kinks in one galaxy after passing near another.

So go ahead and claim your imaginary victory over nothing!
Yes, I am working on the genetic limitations that prevent transmutation and have approached it from two genetic perspectives; from the protein-coding point of view, and from the cell division (meiosis) point of view.
Nobody is interested because it is biology/science. All you hateful, bigoted evotards are interested in is bashing the Bible and Christians.
It's hard to focus when you are constantly being attacked by demon-possessed, flesh-eating evotarded voodoo darwin zombees from every direction.
I am interested. First I pointed out that meiosis is not in fact miraculous unless you can show how it somehow violates the laws of chemistry. Silence.

Then I accepted that 1 gene does not code one protein, but asked you why you concluded that this made evolution impossible. So far, more silence.

And if its hard to focus in the middle of a discussion about these things, why make grandiose claims in the middle of it about the Bible at the same time as you are trying to convince us that your objections to evolution are based on science, not faith? Of course you are going to get called out on it!

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#148394 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Type "Creation Science" in Google and look at the results.
What results? I asked you to provide ONE piece of evidence.
You ran away like a little bitch.

LOL. Creation Science? Not a single shred of evidence that you can name.

Pathetic.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#148395 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

I can type in 'ghost','yeti','loch ness monster', and even 'Precambrian rabbit' and get results for all of them as well.

If you had a brain you would feel pretty stupid right now. But as things are this will have no impact on you whatsoever.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#148396 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

You CAN'T answer to him.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148397 Aug 20, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lived in the year 3000BC, would you understand a description of the shape of the sun as a circle, if you hadn't seen it by telescope? What about the moon? Now, what do you think made them write that the earth is a circle? They couldn't see the earth. Many scriptures are written so that man can understand them. Parables are examples of the point being made. It also helps man to remember what was taught.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148398 Aug 20, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you describe a 'dome' as a flat circle or circular sphere?

Gen 1:7 So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.

Bible does not claim about flat earth. Bible says 3 times that earth is round.
Job 22:14 Thick clouds cover Him, so that He cannot see, And He walks above the circle of heaven.'
Prov 8:27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,
Isa 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#148399 Aug 20, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
What results? I asked you to provide ONE piece of evidence.
You ran away like a little bitch.
LOL. Creation Science? Not a single shred of evidence that you can name.
Pathetic.
You know what I'm working on. Go with that. There is no possible evolutionary explanation for it.

Level 6

Location hidden

#148400 Aug 20, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you describe a 'dome' as a flat circle or circular sphere?
Gen 1:7 So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.
Bible does not claim about flat earth. Bible says 3 times that earth is round.
Job 22:14 Thick clouds cover Him, so that He cannot see, And He walks above the circle of heaven.'
Prov 8:27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,
Isa 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
As Dogen made clear, the words for a flat, circular disc, and the word for a sphere, were very distinct things. So your quotes support a flat circle, not a sphere.

Level 6

Location hidden

#148401 Aug 20, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lived in the year 3000BC, would you understand a description of the shape of the sun as a circle, if you hadn't seen it by telescope? What about the moon? Now, what do you think made them write that the earth is a circle? They couldn't see the earth. Many scriptures are written so that man can understand them. Parables are examples of the point being made. It also helps man to remember what was taught.
That is the whole point. They wrote according to the knowledge of their day. That is why they did not have the faintest clue as to how old the world really was, or where the first humans came from.

Plenty of Christians get that, but not fundamentalists, who try to insist every part of the Bible is literally accurate.

So where do you stand?

Level 6

Location hidden

#148402 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what I'm working on. Go with that. There is no possible evolutionary explanation for it.
I am still waiting for your reasons why you think meiosis and multiple proteins from one gene make an evolutionary explanation impossible!

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#148403 Aug 20, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrews had a word for disc. They had a word for sphere.

Either word could have been used. The word that was used was disc.

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#148404 Aug 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what I'm working on.
No, Cowboy. No one has any idea what you are working on. You make claims about how you have a ton of evidence.

We ask you to pick a single piece and present it.

You run away like a little bitch.

Ask ANY scientist to explain any part of anything they are working on and expect to listen for 6 hours. They will tell you EVERYTHING.

You? You can't come up with ANYTHING/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min It aint necessari... 216,728
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 15 min Knowledge 154,701
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 min Another Damn Liberal 48,576
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr karl44 23,504
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 15 hr Timmee 9
Science News (Sep '13) 20 hr _Susan_ 3,985
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... Sun The Northener 642
More from around the web