Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148285 Aug 19, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact I will give one example for free.
According to the Bible it is perfectly fine to rape a young unmarried woman as long as you pay her father 50 sheckels after the fact and marry her.
Are those good morals or bad?
Chapter and Verse dimwit.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#148286 Aug 19, 2013
So here we go again. Immediately, the evotards go back to attacking the Bible and Christianity because they lost the evolution argument long ago. So pathetic!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#148287 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Chapter and Verse dimwit.
Rally asshat? You don't believe me?

You should know better than that by now.

Why don't your check out Dude er on oh Me. 22: 28-29 Dyuude.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#148288 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
So here we go again. Immediately, the evotards go back to attacking the Bible and Christianity because they lost the evolution argument long ago. So pathetic!
EERRRRT!!!

Wrong asshat. We won that. We used science. You used idiocy.

Now you are stuck with your defective Bible and that is all.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#148289 Aug 19, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Rally asshat? You don't believe me?
You should know better than that by now.
Why don't your check out Dude er on oh Me. 22: 28-29 Dyuude.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
So where is this "error"? Oh, there isn't any, is there? Thought so. Scumbag.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#148290 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So where is this "error"? Oh, there isn't any, is there? Thought so. Scumbag.
You freaking no brained idiot.

The flaw was terrible morals. That was one of the flaws of the Bible.

Or if you had a daughter, who was still a virgin, it would be fine if someone raped her as long as he paid for that and married her.

Does it take practice to be as big of an idiot as your are, or does it come naturally to you?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#148291 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you thrive on ignorant allegiance to "More Government", "we trust you whole heartedly government, anything you say or do we agree with PLUS we worship your scientist".
You say if there is a 'paper' written by a scientist, its the **** honest truth and everyone is to believe what is written. A science paper, that has passed other scientist review, is INFALIBLE!
You guys need to wake up.
Not only is it not obvious, it isn't even true. Now you know what people think. Now you know how people vote. You are truly amazing. It is no wonder I hold in such low regard.

You need to breathe. You are severely anoxic.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#148292 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
How ridiculous!
I am bashing evotardism not science! I love science and study it everyday. I took a text book on celluar biology on vacation with me. You saying I bash science is totaly false and absurd.
I know it seems impossible to you (being a nonbeliever), but there really are no significant errors in the Bible - none that I have seen anyway. That is because God, the creator of the universe, inspired it. If He can create us and all the magnificent life on Earth and all the stars in the universe, He can certainly manage to provide an error-free Bible.
We have been through this before.

You bash the sciences of biology, geology, physics, and chemistry regularly.

The first two are obvious. The third one by these ridiculous special pleading many orders of magnitude changes in radioactive decay, the speed of light, and misinterpretation of the Second Law. The last by insistence that structured complexity cannot arise through chemistry which any good chemist can demonstrate is false.

I know you desperately want science to agree with your fables and delude yourself that these are only minor adjustments in interpretation still consistent with the scientific method.

But that is your biggest anti-science delusion of all.

Conclusions in science arise from the data and the most logical interpretation of the data that can produce valid predictions. Biology, Geology, Physics, and Chemistry have all made valid predictions based on the conventional theories they currently support. None of those theories or predictions are consistent with your little fables.

Scientists have no reason to lie about this but in your delusions you also have to invent a fable about why they would (they are proud, they are deluded by Satan, and / or they are determined to permit themselves immoral behavior).

Kudos that you took a biology textbook with you (assuming it was a real one and not one of your usual piles of anti-science garbage). However, I can just see you sifting through it on your mission to reconcile whatever facts you can with YEC/ex-nihilo creation while trying to ignore all the other facts.

Level 6

Location hidden

#148293 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You are the one who loudly proclaimed that the Bible had no errors (and by extension, therefore all the major current theories of science are wrong).

Therefore its obvious that you are trying to elicit anti-Bible statements in order to pump up your own persecution complex and divert attention away from the failure in your attempts to discredit conventional scientific theories.

Then as the coup de grace, you feebly pretend that your warblings have beaten the evolution argument, rather than the truth which is that your persecution complex and conspiracy accusations are your last neurotic lines of defence against a mountain of evidence you cannot counter.

Level 6

Location hidden

#148294 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
I know it seems impossible to you (being a nonbeliever), but there really are no significant errors in the Bible - none that I have seen anyway.
This is a poster boy statement for confirmation bias. Numerous errors in the Bible are even accepted by actual Biblical Scholars, who have the good sense to realise that even if inspired by God, the Bible was still written by men with their own limited understanding of the world circa 500-700 BC and their own political and social agendas. Some think that Shakespeare and Mozart were inspired by God too, but nobody pretends they are perfect.

Stories like Noah are so shot full of holes and so roundly falsified by multiple independent lines of physical evidence that nobody with an objective viewpoint could possibly take them at face value.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#148295 Aug 19, 2013
Science is a conglomeration of interpretations, predictions, assumptions, suggestions,
summations and other inconclusive data that come together to form a scientific theory.

Scientists seem reluctant to contradict each other. It must be similar to any other group with a common agenda....you go along with my theory and I'll go along with yours.
If progress isn't being made, there goes the funding.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148296 Aug 19, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Good answer. That'll show him. You can't beat with logic, reason and knowledge. Go with what you have.
You don't know where everything came from.

You don't know where the origin of life began.

You don't know where time came from.

You don't understand where DNA came from.

I have a very good answer to all of these major problems your religion has not yet conquered, but you'd rather deny it exist.

Oh well, have it your way. I give up on you. Too many people over too many years have told you the truth about God, but you want to be defiant. Have at it. It's your loss not mine.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148297 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Pathetic indeed
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148298 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever hear of the Constitution? Bill of Rights?
We have a system of government. Our system of government is more or less in line with the other major governments in the world. We have the UN helping to maintain order.
Is the system perfect? No way. Is there no risk? Well if history is any guide governments are temporary. But I see no point in living in fear.
There is an old philosophical problem: If you are at a party and don't want to leave. Never gave leaving the first thought, but all the doors are locked and there are armed guards waiting to shoot you if you try to break out.
Are you a prisoner?
We do have the constitution and Bill of Rights???? Uh huh. There soon to being amended.

The UN is helping maintain order??? lol! You've got to be kidding me!!! lol! You really believe in the UN as a trustworthy allie? This is another subject we will need to delve into debate on at a later date.

I'm not afraid of this political system, but at least I'm paying attention and I'm honestly announcing what is REALLY going on. It doesn't pay to be in the dark.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#148299 Aug 19, 2013
This is a wild video. Survival instincts even after death is definite.

Decapitated copperhead snake's head bites itself.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148300 Aug 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
Scientists seem reluctant to contradict each other.
Clearly, you have never met a scientist nor been one.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148301 Aug 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
Science is a conglomeration of interpretations, predictions, assumptions, suggestions,
summations and other inconclusive data that come together to form a scientific theory.
Scientists seem reluctant to contradict each other. It must be similar to any other group with a common agenda....you go along with my theory and I'll go along with yours.
If progress isn't being made, there goes the funding.
Absolutely...

just like politicians
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148302 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So, because God is a narcissist people burn in hell?
That's what the Bible says.

God's logic is, if you don't want to spend time with Him while on earth, then why would you want to spend time with Him in heaven.

His world, His rules.

Take it or leave it (here are the only 2 choices again)

1. God and Heaven with unconditional love
2. Satan and Hell with unconditional hate

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#148303 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what the Bible says.
God's logic is, if you don't want to spend time with Him while on earth, then why would you want to spend time with Him in heaven.
His world, His rules.
Take it or leave it (here are the only 2 choices again)
1. God and Heaven with unconditional love
2. Satan and Hell with unconditional hate
Imagine in the Bible it says the earth is a circle. Now evolutionist say by that comment in the bible, it is saying earth being flat and not sphere. After all a circle is a coin and it is flat. Now Christians will tell the evolutionists that they are taking the bible too literally. Would you agree?

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#148304 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know where everything came from.
You don't know where the origin of life began.
You don't know where time came from.
You don't understand where DNA came from.
I have a very good answer to all of these major problems your religion has not yet conquered, but you'd rather deny it exist.
Actually, you don't.

Your answer is: "I don't know, maybe Jews are magic."

That's no better or worse than:
"I don't know, maybe Greeks are magic."
"I don't know, maybe Vikings are magic."
"I don't know, maybe Arabs are magic."
"I don't know, maybe Indians are magic."

All of these answers and many more just stamp "magic so and so" as the answer to EVERY QUESTION.

The problem is you've USED that answer on thing which we've later shown to not be caused by "magic Jews".

You have a lightning rod on your house and rubber gloves for when you deal with electric wires. There's NOTHING in the Bible about that. The idea that lightning is Jew Magic has been replaced by our understanding of electricity.

The idea that disease is Jew Magic has been replaced by our understanding of biology.

The idea that an eclipse is Jew Magic has been replaced by our understand of astronomy.

The list of "Things Caused by Jew Magic" shrinks daily.

Yet, nothing from the "solved" list _EVER_ moves back to the Jew Magic list.

So, you can keep claiming you've got the "best" answer but until you can prove that the Indians, Greeks and Vikings are all wrong, your answer is no better than theirs.

Meanwhile, our answers work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... 5 min In Six Days 629
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min One way or another 48,384
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 26 min Genesis Enigma 154,611
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr It aint necessari... 216,602
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 9 hr Porkncheese 6
Science News (Sep '13) Fri _Susan_ 3,980
News Does Mike Pence Believe in Evolution? Thu scientia potentia... 9
More from around the web