Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178691 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Believer

Manchester, TN

#148239 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Educated Christians know and admit there are errors aplenty in the Bible. Yahweh does not require rationalization.
He does require Faith. Because something doesn't make sense to us doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true.
Or, as you say, what does makes sense to us isn't necessarily true.
We do not decide Truth. Jesus was the Way, the Truth, and the Life that brings us to the Father (God/The Holy Trinity).

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#148240 Aug 19, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Science say that most mutations occur in Junk DNA and have no discernible effects. Of the remaining the majority are harmful with a minority giving benefits.
mutation - Science Definition
A change in the structure of the genes or chromosomes of an organism. Mutations occurring in the reproductive cells, such as an egg or sperm, can be passed from one generation to the next. Most mutations occur in junk DNA and have no discernible effects on the survivability of an organism. Of the remaining mutations, the majority have harmful effects, while a minority can increase an organism's ability to survive. A mutation that benefits a species may evolve by means of natural selection into a trait shared by some or all members of the species.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/mutation#scienc...
Yes, but the reason species can evolve even though harmful mutations outnumber beneficial ones, is that natural selection is operating.

Experiments have been done where natural selection was suspended (as much as possible) for several generations and there was a measurable loss of fitness over that time.

However, when natural selection was reintroduced, fitness gradually recovered in those populations. Note that mutations were still occurring in this phase, and more would still be harmful than beneficial.

But, of course, the individuals with beneficial mutations would far out reproduce the ones with harmful ones, meaning that the population could recover.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148241 Aug 19, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>

total tard.
Bet you can't say that 10 times real fast. Lol!

It's a Twongue Tister! LOL!

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#148242 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Urb, you ignorantslut, 15DL said it was like a shuffling OF CARDS.
Why are you so angry all the time?
NOmoron, he said it was a false analogy youIDIOT. Go back and read it again. Why are you so stupid all of the time?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148243 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see a question in there. In any event, Paul (??? We actually don't know who wrote Ephesians but it was written in Paul's name) was speaking out of his own situation and to the situation in Ephesus.
The powers that be get to reign 8 years, then become powerful lobbyist is the background, making 10+ times the money they made while in office.

Money and power control America now, we as citizens, don't have much say nor do we have as many freedoms as one is taught to believe.

The 2 verses I posted are showing that God puts leaders in office and Satan controls them. I'll find a 2nd verse showing God puts leaders in office.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#148244 Aug 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You are right. I am reminded that the blood of animals did not and could not atone for sin. It was a ritual they used when coming into the presence of a Holy God, Who would someday shed His perfect, sinless Blood that would atone for the sins of all mankind. There would be no more need or reason to kill innocent creatures of any kind to find that perfect blood.
Thanks for correcting me.
Like I said, I am learning. What I am learning is not changing what I know in my heart to be Truth for MY life. I can always use more knowledge of the Bible.
That is why I was so excited to find Dr. Heiser. The very first thing I read of his work was exactly the question that I was searching the Bible for and finding, but not understanding until he proved the translation was off and was much more clear in the original language.
I'm too old to learn Greek and Hebrew, and he has excellent credentials, so I trust he knows and God is using him to help people like me who are searching the Bible for a better understanding of what we don't understand.
I regard the whole notion of blood - whether animal, human, or the Son of God - "atoning for sin" as rather ridiculous and primitive and more than a little repulsive.

The only atonement for sin is to feel genuine regret and try to put it right. And if its a sin that cannot be put right, only the forgiveness of those sinned against can mitigate it, and that is optional on their part.

Sometimes there is no way out. You did what you did. Live with it.

And the idea that you can sin against God is ridiculous too. If there is God then nothing you could do could harm Him. The only sins that count are those against other humans and perhaps animals, because they are the only sentient creatures you can actually harm.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#148245 Aug 19, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
VERY speculative, but interesting nevertheless:
North Atlantic Killer Whales May Be Branching Into Two Species
http://news.sciencemag.org/evolution/2013/08/...
Killer whales (Orcinus orca) can be surprisingly finicky eaters. In the North Pacific and Antarctic, some feed only on fish; others, only on mammals—dietary preferences that seem to have led to new species of orcas. Some researchers think that a similar process is occurring in the killer whale populations of the Northeast Atlantic. But speciation there may be a long time in coming. A new paper examining these orcas’ diets over the last 10,000 years reveals that most are not as picky as their relatives; those eating herring today may be feasting on baby seals tomorrow. The study shows that the Northeast Atlantic whales may only be at the beginning of the speciation process.
Evolutionary biologists have long argued about whether it’s possible for a new species to arise in a population that isn’t separated by geographic barriers, such as an ocean or a mountain range—a process called sympatric speciation.“Killer whales have been thought of by some as something like the poster child” for the process,“because there are multiple genetically distinct populations [which have not yet been formally described as separate species] with different prey preferences in the North Pacific and Antarctic,” says Phillip Morin, a cetacean biologist at the Southwest Fisheries Science Center in San Diego, California, who was not involved in the new study. Scientists have suggested that the orcas separated into distinct species because of what they chose to eat. In this scenario, fish-eaters would mate only with other fish-eaters, and mammal-eaters only with other mammal-eaters. Given enough time, the two populations would become genetically distinct and unable to reproduce.
Some killer whale observers have proposed that the orcas in the Northeast Atlantic also likely comprise two species, because some pods appear to be fish specialists, while others prefer marine mammals. They point out that the orcas’ hunting tactics for the two types of prey differ dramatically and are learned behaviors—cultural differences that may also help drive populations apart.
<<more at link above>>

That just tells us they have plenty to eat, because we all know if hungry enough predators will eat anything.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#148246 Aug 19, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how many times you repeat this lie it will not be true.
What a total tard.
Yeah right. All you can do is lie about it and can't possible refute it. That means I'm right retard.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#148247 Aug 19, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its Christians that are bashing the science. Or more precisely, only those Christians who are so self deluded that they can claim there are no errors in the Bible.
How ridiculous!

I am bashing evotardism not science! I love science and study it everyday. I took a text book on celluar biology on vacation with me. You saying I bash science is totaly false and absurd.

I know it seems impossible to you (being a nonbeliever), but there really are no significant errors in the Bible - none that I have seen anyway. That is because God, the creator of the universe, inspired it. If He can create us and all the magnificent life on Earth and all the stars in the universe, He can certainly manage to provide an error-free Bible.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148248 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever witnesses a paranoid schizophrenic what was highly functional, able to hold down a job? I haven't.

Yes. I have known some that were very functional,... at times. John Nash, Ph.D. comes to mind. Schizophrenia seems to be somewhat cyclical in that, even without medications, there are periods when they are better and periods when they are worse.

This issue goes right to my own questioning that Hitler had paranoid schizophrenia, however. Clearly he was paranoid and clearly he had grandiose delusions. But the two do not add up to a Dx of Schizophrenia - Paranoid type. Today we have ways of rating symptom severity and if Hitler had any schizophrenia it was very mild.

I am more a fan of Hitler, not so much having one overwhelming mental illness, but rather of being a cornucopia of symptoms of a variety of illnesses. Anxiety, depression,(at times mania), delusions, narcissism, low self esteem, sexual dysfunction, psychosomatic illnesses....

He also had to try to integrate major contradictions such as hating all things Jewish and being 1/4th Jewish himself.
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text> I've employed many people with bi-polar, a few with anxiety, panic attacks, acute schizophrenic problems and they mainly would not see a doctor and if they did, they wouldn't take their medicine. Most would self medicate with alcohol and drugs. I noticed most were high in energy and intelligence. That's what got them hired in the first place.

They might have had something more like schizo-affective disorder. They often present well on the upswing of their mood cycle but can be a mess on the other side. People with paranoia (schizophrenia or not) tend to be very medication resistant. You can guess why.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148249 Aug 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
He does require Faith. Because something doesn't make sense to us doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true.
Or, as you say, what does makes sense to us isn't necessarily true.
We do not decide Truth. Jesus was the Way, the Truth, and the Life that brings us to the Father (God/The Holy Trinity).

Trinity is not an original Christian concept. It does not appear in any Christian writing till about 270 a.d.

There are definitely things in the Bible that are not true. Or, I should say, not LITERALLY true.




“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148250 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
NOmoron, he said it was a false analogy youIDIOT. Go back and read it again. Why are you so stupid all of the time?

It is a false analogy. Go back and read it again. Why are you so stupid all of the time?

And take some deep breaths.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148251 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The powers that be get to reign 8 years, then become powerful lobbyist is the background, making 10+ times the money they made while in office.
Money and power control America now, we as citizens, don't have much say nor do we have as many freedoms as one is taught to believe.
The 2 verses I posted are showing that God puts leaders in office and Satan controls them. I'll find a 2nd verse showing God puts leaders in office.

I think you skipped over the point.

We have more freedom and power today than a large body of citizens have ever had in history.

And you make it sound like God and Satan are in collaboration. Which according to Job they are, but that is another story.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148252 Aug 19, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I regard the whole notion of blood - whether animal, human, or the Son of God - "atoning for sin" as rather ridiculous and primitive and more than a little repulsive.
The only atonement for sin is to feel genuine regret and try to put it right. And if its a sin that cannot be put right, only the forgiveness of those sinned against can mitigate it, and that is optional on their part.
Sometimes there is no way out. You did what you did. Live with it.
And the idea that you can sin against God is ridiculous too. If there is God then nothing you could do could harm Him. The only sins that count are those against other humans and perhaps animals, because they are the only sentient creatures you can actually harm.

Sin (to miss the mark) seems to have been an idea to protect people from themselves and others. A society without 'sin' would have few problems, at least in theory. But (in reality) people are MORE likely to do something if you forbid them from doing it than if you never brought it up.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148253 Aug 19, 2013
Hi
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I have known some that were very functional,... at times. John Nash, Ph.D. comes to mind. Schizophrenia seems to be somewhat cyclical in that, even without medications, there are periods when they are better and periods when they are worse.
This issue goes right to my own questioning that Hitler had paranoid schizophrenia, however. Clearly he was paranoid and clearly he had grandiose delusions. But the two do not add up to a Dx of Schizophrenia - Paranoid type. Today we have ways of rating symptom severity and if Hitler had any schizophrenia it was very mild.
I am more a fan of Hitler, not so much having one overwhelming mental illness, but rather of being a cornucopia of symptoms of a variety of illnesses. Anxiety, depression,(at times mania), delusions, narcissism, low self esteem, sexual dysfunction, psychosomatic illnesses....
He also had to try to integrate major contradictions such as hating all things Jewish and being 1/4th Jewish himself.
<quoted text>
They might have had something more like schizo-affective disorder. They often present well on the upswing of their mood cycle but can be a mess on the other side. People with paranoia (schizophrenia or not) tend to be very medication resistant. You can guess why.
Hitler looks Jewish to me. I've heard 2 sides of the 1/4th rumor, that he was and that he wasn't.

I need to know, is there a specific medication, you would suggest, for narcissism combined with mild bi-polar, and chronic Hyperactivity disorder, also mild OCD? His nickname at work is "Roadrunner".

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148254 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right. All you can do is lie about it and can't possible refute it. That means I'm right retard.

We have refuted it many times. You just do your hand wave thing, disappear for a few days and claim it never happened.

Why would we be impressed by that? You think we don't know what your doing?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148255 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

And you make it sound like God and Satan are in collaboration. Which according to Job they are, but that is another story.
All satan wants to do is never ending evil.

God made satan, he rebelled, so God uses him for His purposes.

God has a plan, we must live by it and accept it.

...and you're right, this is a very deep subject that requires lots of time to debate.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148256 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
How ridiculous!
I am bashing evotardism not science! I love science and study it everyday. I took a text book on celluar biology on vacation with me. You saying I bash science is totaly false and absurd.
I know it seems impossible to you (being a nonbeliever), but there really are no significant errors in the Bible - none that I have seen anyway. That is because God, the creator of the universe, inspired it. If He can create us and all the magnificent life on Earth and all the stars in the universe, He can certainly manage to provide an error-free Bible.

Evolution is a branch of science (biology). It is actually the organizational cornerstone and one of the two pillars of biology (along with genetics).

The Bible has many scientific errors.
1. 6 day creation vs real science (13.8 billion years).
2. Created Kinds vs. real science (evolution of species).
3. Global flood vs. genetic and geological impossibility of flood story being true.

That is just the first few chapters of Genesis.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148257 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
Hi<quoted text> Hitler looks Jewish to me. I've heard 2 sides of the 1/4th rumor, that he was and that he wasn't.

This isn't 100% certain. DNA tests on Hitler's relatives were inconclusive. He certainly had Haplogroup E1b1b1 which would be consistent with (but not conclusive proof of) Sephardic Jewish decent.

Hitler also either believe he was part Jewish or at least that others would claim he was as he consulted with his lawyer about this and "Hitler was sufficiently worried about the whole business that, according to the historian John Toland, he had the Nazi law defining Jewishness written to exclude Jesus Christ and himself."

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/797/...
imagine2011 wrote:
Hi<quoted text> I need to know, is there a specific medication, you would suggest, for narcissism combined with mild bi-polar, and chronic Hyperactivity disorder, also mild OCD? His nickname at work is "Roadrunner".

I am not a M.D., but Seroquel comes to mind. It really depends on which symptoms are the worst.

NEVER USE SSRI/SNRI's ON BIPOLAR D/O!

Not unless it is the 4th of July.

I also use the word 'never' when it comes to throwing a late pass, to the center of the field, against a rotating zone defense.

Other than those two times I NEVER say NEVER.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#148258 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right. All you can do is lie about it and can't possible refute it. That means I'm right retard.
Wrong again turd. We have given specific examples. Your claim has been refuted more than once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr woodtick57 173,507
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Dogen 143,913
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 4 hr Chilli J 13
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 11 hr Chimney1 583
News Intelligent design 12 hr Paul Porter1 22
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 12 hr Paul Porter1 421
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? 12 hr Paul Porter1 56
More from around the web