Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180394 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#148265 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but you can't prove it, right? So I am right afterall, aren't I? Dipshit.
In fact I will give one example for free.

According to the Bible it is perfectly fine to rape a young unmarried woman as long as you pay her father 50 sheckels after the fact and marry her.

Are those good morals or bad?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148266 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical flesh-eating evotarded voodoo darwin zombee nonsense.
You're the one worshipping a zombie.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148267 Aug 19, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I regard the whole notion of blood - whether animal, human, or the Son of God - "atoning for sin" as rather ridiculous and primitive and more than a little repulsive.
The only atonement for sin is to feel genuine regret and try to put it right. And if its a sin that cannot be put right, only the forgiveness of those sinned against can mitigate it, and that is optional on their part.
Sometimes there is no way out. You did what you did. Live with it.
And the idea that you can sin against God is ridiculous too. If there is God then nothing you could do could harm Him. The only sins that count are those against other humans and perhaps animals, because they are the only sentient creatures you can actually harm.
It begs the question: if blood would satisfy God in the past, why would an unchanging God no longer be satisfied by blood?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148268 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are flipping and doing an about-face and lying about it. Nice job dogshit. You have achieved 100% complete dishonesty.

Try reading next time. Nice job dogshit. You have achieved 100% complete dishonesty.


Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a false analogy. Go back and read it again. Why are you so stupid all of the time?
And take some deep breaths.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148269 Aug 19, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but you can't prove it, right? So I am right afterall, aren't I? Dipshit.

LOL.

Your parody of a narcissistic, dipstick, brain-dead, fundy, moron is dead on.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#148270 Aug 19, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
It begs the question: if blood would satisfy God in the past, why would an unchanging God no longer be satisfied by blood?
Because we ate him.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148271 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't 100% certain. DNA tests on Hitler's relatives were inconclusive. He certainly had Haplogroup E1b1b1 which would be consistent with (but not conclusive proof of) Sephardic Jewish decent.
Hitler also either believe he was part Jewish or at least that others would claim he was as he consulted with his lawyer about this and "Hitler was sufficiently worried about the whole business that, according to the historian John Toland, he had the Nazi law defining Jewishness written to exclude Jesus Christ and himself."
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/797/...
<quoted text>
I am not a M.D., but Seroquel comes to mind. It really depends on which symptoms are the worst.
NEVER USE SSRI/SNRI's ON BIPOLAR D/O!
Not unless it is the 4th of July.
I also use the word 'never' when it comes to throwing a late pass, to the center of the field, against a rotating zone defense.
Other than those two times I NEVER say NEVER.
Seroquel, ok.

The Chronic hyperactivity, which leads to OCD (repeating, over and over and over, the list of supplies he needs or duties he needs to accomplish for the next day) Talks to himself, out loud, A LOT! Like he's practicing for a play or something. Narcissism is way up there too. Is always working against the team, trying to out do everyone (competitive with co-workers with the same goal) instead of being a team player. Was diagnosed with all of the above and paperwork said "personality disorder" (unable to co-exist socially without making enemies, burning bridges).
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148272 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you skipped over the point.
We have more freedom and power today than a large body of citizens have ever had in history.
And you make it sound like God and Satan are in collaboration. Which according to Job they are, but that is another story.
The reason I don't agree with us having more freedom today, is the fact that we are monitored on the internet, cell phones, cameras everywhere, can be imprisoned by govn if they deem you a "terrorist', be held without bond, without attorney, without court, and indefinitely. If you say the word bomb in the airport, you can't fly and get put on a "no fly" list which is very hard to be removed from. Our military is so mighty, that if the govn decided to do anything against us, we could not stop them. Theyre trying their best to remove our religious freedoms, our freedom of speech, and trying every trick in the book to remove our guns.

If they accomplish all three, we will be pure slaves to govn and corps.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148273 Aug 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin (to miss the mark) seems to have been an idea to protect people from themselves and others. A society without 'sin' would have few problems, at least in theory. But (in reality) people are MORE likely to do something if you forbid them from doing it than if you never brought it up.
My take on the reason God made free will and sin available is so man would not be a robot, forced to love God, without wanting to or knowing any different.

You wouldn't want someone to be pre-programmed to love you, it wouldn't feel like true love.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148274 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
Hi<quoted text>Hitler looks Jewish to me. I've heard 2 sides of the 1/4th rumor, that he was and that he wasn't.
I need to know, is there a specific medication, you would suggest, for narcissism combined with mild bi-polar, and chronic Hyperactivity disorder, also mild OCD? His nickname at work is "Roadrunner".
What, prayer isn't solving the problem? Now you want science? God isn't fixing the condition? You know that evolutionary science is responsible for much of the psychological pharmaceutical industry's discoveries and innovations, right? When you need real problems solved, it ain't God you turn to.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#148275 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I don't agree with us having more freedom today, is the fact that we are monitored on the internet, cell phones, cameras everywhere, can be imprisoned by govn if they deem you a "terrorist', be held without bond, without attorney, without court, and indefinitely. If you say the word bomb in the airport, you can't fly and get put on a "no fly" list which is very hard to be removed from. Our military is so mighty, that if the govn decided to do anything against us, we could not stop them. Theyre trying their best to remove our religious freedoms, our freedom of speech, and trying every trick in the book to remove our guns.
If they accomplish all three, we will be pure slaves to govn and corps.
Now if the military is so mighty we couldn't stop them, what do you think our possession of guns will do to prevent that. So you die in a giant fireball holding a Colt Python?

I don't think that anyone is going to repeal the 2nd Amendment and take guns away from private citizens. You will still be able to take them to church with you and praise a loving and merciful Jesus.

If you yell "Fire" in a crowded room you can go to jail too. Don't you think maybe that saying "Bomb" in an airport is an actual crime? I think you might get a bit more than put on the no fly list.

I am glad to see you corroborate the premise that fundamentalism thrives on fear.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148276 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I don't agree with us having more freedom today, is the fact that we are monitored on the internet, cell phones, cameras everywhere, can be imprisoned by govn if they deem you a "terrorist', be held without bond, without attorney, without court, and indefinitely. If you say the word bomb in the airport, you can't fly and get put on a "no fly" list which is very hard to be removed from. Our military is so mighty, that if the govn decided to do anything against us, we could not stop them. Theyre trying their best to remove our religious freedoms, our freedom of speech, and trying every trick in the book to remove our guns.
If they accomplish all three, we will be pure slaves to govn and corps.
The rules are the same; merely the tools used have changed. The things you complain about were done with printed materials, and hand-written before that. More methods of communication require more methods of observation. Freedom of speech and freedom to commit crimes via speech along various means of communication are not the same thing. The 4th amendment and the law just haven't fully caught up to the 21st century. In a country that thinks Bronze Age myths are true, little wonder.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#148277 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
My take on the reason God made free will and sin available is so man would not be a robot, forced to love God, without wanting to or knowing any different.
You wouldn't want someone to be pre-programmed to love you, it wouldn't feel like true love.
Angels already had that. Lucifer/Satan. Try again.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148278 Aug 19, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
What, prayer isn't solving the problem? Now you want science? God isn't fixing the condition? You know that evolutionary science is responsible for much of the psychological pharmaceutical industry's discoveries and innovations, right? When you need real problems solved, it ain't God you turn to.
God made all of the ingredients scientist use, DuneKough.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#148279 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
God made all of the ingredients scientist use, DuneKough.
Made them out of what?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#148280 Aug 19, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Now if the military is so mighty we couldn't stop them, what do you think our possession of guns will do to prevent that. So you die in a giant fireball holding a Colt Python?
I don't think that anyone is going to repeal the 2nd Amendment and take guns away from private citizens. You will still be able to take them to church with you and praise a loving and merciful Jesus.
If you yell "Fire" in a crowded room you can go to jail too. Don't you think maybe that saying "Bomb" in an airport is an actual crime? I think you might get a bit more than put on the no fly list.
I am glad to see you corroborate the premise that fundamentalism thrives on fear.
Obviously you thrive on ignorant allegiance to "More Government", "we trust you whole heartedly government, anything you say or do we agree with PLUS we worship your scientist".

You say if there is a 'paper' written by a scientist, its the **** honest truth and everyone is to believe what is written. A science paper, that has passed other scientist review, is INFALIBLE!

You guys need to wake up.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#148281 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
God made all of the ingredients scientist use, DuneKough.
Good answer. That'll show him. You can't beat with logic, reason and knowledge. Go with what you have.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148282 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I don't agree with us having more freedom today, is the fact that we are monitored on the internet, cell phones, cameras everywhere, can be imprisoned by govn if they deem you a "terrorist', be held without bond, without attorney, without court, and indefinitely. If you say the word bomb in the airport, you can't fly and get put on a "no fly" list which is very hard to be removed from. Our military is so mighty, that if the govn decided to do anything against us, we could not stop them. Theyre trying their best to remove our religious freedoms, our freedom of speech, and trying every trick in the book to remove our guns.
If they accomplish all three, we will be pure slaves to govn and corps.

Ever hear of the Constitution? Bill of Rights?

We have a system of government. Our system of government is more or less in line with the other major governments in the world. We have the UN helping to maintain order.

Is the system perfect? No way. Is there no risk? Well if history is any guide governments are temporary. But I see no point in living in fear.

There is an old philosophical problem: If you are at a party and don't want to leave. Never gave leaving the first thought, but all the doors are locked and there are armed guards waiting to shoot you if you try to break out.

Are you a prisoner?


“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#148283 Aug 19, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
My take on the reason God made free will and sin available is so man would not be a robot, forced to love God, without wanting to or knowing any different.
You wouldn't want someone to be pre-programmed to love you, it wouldn't feel like true love.

So, because God is a narcissist people burn in hell?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#148284 Aug 19, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
So did the miracle of the casting of the fishing nets happen before or after Jesus resurrection?
Luke 5:
4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
John 21:
3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
4 But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.
5 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
6 And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
They were two completely different and separate events. Just where do you get your Christian-bashing material anyway? A simple read would reveal many differences between the two events.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Curious dilemma about DNA 19 min pshun2404 5
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min One way or another 61,470
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Dogen 2,699
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Dogen 28,323
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 hr Genesis Enigma 160,320
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 hr Horn Dog 220,673
News Book aims to prove existence of God (Nov '09) Mar 23 Regolith Based Li... 99
More from around the web